PDA

View Full Version : 18ft long oarfish found by snorkelers at Catalina Island

Anahita
10-15-2013, 01:46 AM
After looking into it, I guess this is not as uncommon as it would seem - this is at least the second one in 7 years to wash up on Catalina, and many more have washed up in Southern California over the years - but it's still pretty cool. And very freaky looking.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/14/18-foot-oarfish-found-on-catalina-amazes-scientists-campers/#axzz2hlYTgQj2

Echidna
10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
They're beautiful fish.
Might be the root of seaserpent myths.
They only surface when dying or dead. Some get washed ashore.

But why are the people on the photo grinning like morons?
Proud to see something rare and fascinating dead?
Tards.

Theobromine
10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I think they're probably just happy to see something so rare and fascinating, period. It's not like they killed the oarfish, it appeared to have died of natural causes, so they're not like those assholes who kill things as a trophy. Most people will never ever get to see a real oarfish in their lifetime, not even a dead one and certainly not a live one. We can't all be deep-sea ocean explorers (and even they rarely come face to face with one). So I think it would actually be pretty cool to find one like that, even thought it would be sad that it was dead. I mean, I'd be excited if I found a real goblin shark or giant squid...I'd obviously be 100x as thrilled if it was alive, but given the deep-sea nature of those types of creatures, you'd be pretty darn lucky to see one regardless.

Now if they had killed it, obviously, I would be frothing :soap box:

Anahita
10-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Now if they had killed it, obviously, I would be frothing :soap box:

No, only out of state morons kill our awesome wildlife for no justifiable reason (like the f*cking Texan that came out to California just to fish sharks a few months ago)

Theobromine
10-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I hate fuckheads like that.

Echidna
10-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I hate fuckheads like that.

Yep, it was all those posing d*cks who think they're the sh*t because they managed to kill some larger fish
(it's totally so difficult using high-tech spearguns, sonar and all of that...) who made me loathe people grinning on pics together with a dead body.
I find it disrespectful and weird, no matter whether it's rare to find or not.

About the same feelings you would have if those people would not be grinning over an animal corpse,
but a human one. :p

Theobromine
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that is a good point, and I definitely understand how seeing it bothers you. But I just look at it from a scientist's point of view, I guess: "Look at this amazing life form we found that is normally only ever seen thousands of feet deep in the ocean! How cool that it washed up here after it died so people can see it up close and we can study it!" Because humans tend to fear things they don't know and understand...and only by studying things can we know and understand them, and dispel the myths and fears about them. (and I just really love science)

Blaze
10-16-2013, 09:32 AM
No, only out of state morons kill our awesome wildlife for no justifiable reason (like the f*cking Texan that came out to California just to fish sharks a few months ago)

Please don't blanket categorize Texans because of a singular idiot. Yes, I know there are a lot of singular idiots in Texas but there are in every state. :p

Anahita
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Sorry, Texan should have been plural. I meant more that this summer, we had a bunch of idiots - who all happened to be from Texas - come out to hunt sharks. So yes, while I understand you not wanting me to blanket categorize Texans, the unfortunate thing to point out here is that all the people who were participating in this were from Texas, not other states.

Blaze
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Why even bring in where they are from? An asshat is an asshat, no matter where they are from.

BTW, I'm not originally from Texas; born & raised in Boston, Ma so my hackles are not overly rankled that it's specifically Texas being called out. Just think it's bad form to cast a poor light on the entire population of a state (or country or whatever) because of a few bad apples.

Just my thoughts on it.

Anahita
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
If your hackles aren't overly rankled by it, than why derail the thread to make a thing about it?

Blaze
10-16-2013, 03:54 PM
If your hackles aren't overly rankled by it, than why derail the thread to make a thing about it?

I meant that I'm not offended because you are specifically talking about Texas. I am bothered that several of you are broadly condemning people for the actions of a few. Some for even imagined actions.

I also think the thread was derailed before I replied actually.

Regardless; I'll leave you to it.

Echidna
10-17-2013, 10:41 AM
I am bothered that several of you are broadly condemning people for the actions of a few.
Eh- no one said "all Texans must be like that!!", which is what you imply.

And demanding to not mention an offender's whereabouts at all, lest someone might be offended,
is a slippery slope.

Odette
10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
This is spectacular!! I wonder what the rays on its head are used for? I'm going to guess for navigation. Looks so silver. I bet this oarfish in the water would have looked amazing.

Mermaid Momo
10-18-2013, 12:27 AM
That is so cool! I can only dream of seeing an Oar fish whether alive or dead, perfectly intact and get to touch and hold it!

Anahita
10-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Here's a clip of a live one swimming around. Just so my whole post isn't about the dead thing, because that's a bit depressing.

Looking at it, I'm just..... It doesn't even look real!

http://youtu.be/lX92zSPioO0

Merley
10-18-2013, 03:19 AM
I like the way it swims.

Echidna
10-18-2013, 07:08 AM
http://youtu.be/lX92zSPioO0

I was about to link this ;)
It's rare footage.
You would think oarfish swim similar to sea-snakes, undulating in some form, but instead,
their whole body is rigid, and their dorsal fin propels them forward.
It looks more like a submarine, or a technical device, than an animal, or like an alien creature from outer space.

This is why the deep sea is so utterly fascinating; the creatures that live there are as alien (and unknown)
to us like another planet.

Anahita
10-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Aaaand we have another one.... This time in Oceanside.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oarfish-oceanside--20131019,0,6399548.story

Is it in bad taste if I say something seems fishy to me? Probably.... But it is weird that suddenly, twice in such a short amount of time and so close to each other geographically, these rare animals just wash up.... and sad :(

Echidna
10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Aw no :(
Hopefully just a coincidence, and natural causes.

Some claim Fukushima's radiation has now reached the west coast, and the entire Pacific is dying, but surely that cannot be it, as horrible as radiation affects the environment long-term
(wildlife in Europe didn't die out after Chernobyl).

Maybe "someone"'s testing their awesum new deepsea weapon?
Who cares if some fish die, national security is most important...

Mermaid Muir
10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I have to say its pretty awesome (finding the oarfish). I heard they are going to bury it and then study the skeleton.

MermaidSabrina
11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
All I have to say about this is

D*MN Nature ! You scary !!!:jawdrop: