PDA

View Full Version : Where to Live?

Kumori Kitsune
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Where is the best state to live in with lots of lakes not to expensive and doesn't get to hot or to cold?

MerAnthony
10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Stay away from NY. We are #2 on the highest state with taxes an to find a job is almost impossible. That is the reason I plan on moving as soon as I can.

MerEmma
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
You'd probably be best off doing your own research for something like that! You can really only safely swim in lakes up north but it's going to get cold there. Not Florida or anywhere real south as all lakes are off limits for swimming due to the amoebas. :b

PearlieMae
10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.city-data.com/ is a great resource for checking out new places to live in the US.

Kumori Kitsune
10-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks You couldnt pay me enough to live there I hate huge cities. i'm kinda thinking right now Michigan or Minnesota

Kumori Kitsune
10-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah just wanting to hear from people to see if they know any places before I start looking up places cold to me is like weather in the 50's and hot hot where i live is like 80. where I live it can get almost up to 100 and cool down to -2

Marlin
10-17-2013, 11:40 AM
*cough* Florida *cough*

MerEmma
10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Florida isn't the choice if you don't like 90+ degrees or 70%+ humidity.

It rarely gets below 30F here though.

Kumori Kitsune
10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Lol really florida cost to much to live there thank you. plus there tend to be alot of old people and crazies that live there not all but a lot

MerEmma
10-17-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not all that pricey unless you want beachfront property. ;)

Mermaid Sparkle
10-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Hawaii has the most stable weather out of all the United States. It tends to be around 70 degrees year round (closer to the equator=less seasons), but it is quite expensive to get there.

I'm thinking you might like someplace like Arkansas. It is pretty cheap to live there and it doesn't have too extreme of weather.

Blaze
10-17-2013, 12:20 PM
*cough* Florida *cough*

My Husband and I have actually discussed moving to Florida too in the next few years; we have a large group of friends out there in our Medieval group (SCA) AND MY Dad actually owns a house in Cape Coral. Where we go though would really depend on where the jobs were. Hubby is finishing up his next degree this spring so we are re-evaluating then. :D

PearlieMae
10-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I've been looking for prime swimming/low cost places to live that I can actually bear.

So far, Belize is looking prime.

MerAnthony
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Next year is when we plan to move. We were thinking maybe Georgia. It's warm almost all year long an they don't have the crazy taxes like they do here in NY. Plus the cost of living is alot cheaper.

Kumori Kitsune
10-31-2013, 01:06 PM
my boyfriend on day to be hubby is going in to pc server work and I'm thinking graphic design. id love to live in Michigan but I'm not sure maybe Minnesota.

PearlieMae
10-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Thinking graphic design? Are you going to school for it?

I've heard Minnesota is the land of ten thousand lakes, twenty thousand streams, and thirty billion mosquitoes. Pretty narrow swim season for both states, too.

Echidna
10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
I've heard Minnesota is the land of ten thousand lakes, twenty thousand streams, and thirty billion mosquitoes. Pretty narrow swim season for both states, too.

:(
Why is every beautiful place either cold, or filled with mosquitoes, or both?
Meh.

Blondie
11-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I would recommend Florida or maybe somewhere in the rockies. Florida isn't all that expensive if you live further from the beach. THe more inland you are, the closer you are to springs. Springs do NOT hold the amoeba. This amoeba is in WARM waters that are rather stagnant. So if you're smart, and don't go swimming in some sort of retention pond or clearly filthy lake, you'll be alright. I think the best thing to do is to ask the locals of good swimming holes. For example, I live near the St.Johns River in Florida. The intercostal waterway near the river is a big boating spot. However you should not swim in it. It is filthy beyond all hell. People even recommend tossing certain fish back for that reason.

But at Florida you're only a few hours drive max from a beach at the furthest points away from beaches. There's springs, lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, pools, beaches. I love living in Florida. You just need to mind the wildlife and be safe. Always search around to make sure where you're going to swim is safe. That's just a given for anywhere.

SIF
11-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks You couldnt pay me enough to live there I hate huge cities. i'm kinda thinking right now Michigan or Minnesota

By your standards of too hot and too cold you can rule out both of those states... Single digit cold seasons triple digit hots.

SIF
11-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Minesota IS chalk full of lakes...

Kumori Kitsune
11-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Yeah i'm thinking that Ive visited Michigan but not Minnesota yet