PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Competitor alternatives.

MerEmma
10-18-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm currently looking at a fiberglass monofin--I'm sure the competitor is fantastic but I actually would like to try a fiberglass monofin that is softer than the competitor but still gives enough push. Particularly from LeaderFins or SpecialFins, I suppose nobody has yet done a video comparison of the different hardness in them? The diameter of the fins is the same as the competitor so that's neat but I'm wondering what the hardness of them all is like (extra hard, hard, medium, soft). It seems like I read somewhere the competitor was medium but man, if medium = competitor then extra hard has to be REALLY difficult to swim with. D:

Aziara
10-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Mermaid Fenicia has a LeaderFin in soft, here's some videos of her swimming in it. She's the one with the black tail and whitish fluke. I think the Competitor is actually a step between soft and medium of the Leaderfin, but I could be wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf21Jx6YkUg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4E81DE0910E6D13B http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7MFKH_KRI&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4E81DE0910E6D13B

MerEmma
10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
The soft actually flows really nicely, surprisingly. :D Thank you! I knew someone here had one but I couldn't remember who.

Winged Mermaid
10-19-2013, 04:54 AM
I believe Spindrift owns one from Leader or Special fins. Can't remember which though. Several others have ordered them as well but I can't recall.. I hope you find answers! Honestly if I hadn't have gotten my first competitor in-tail I would have gone for SpecialFins or Leaderfins. If I ever have enough moolah to get another that's what I'll be going for :) Much more cost effective and customizable.

MerEmma
10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
If I had enough $$ I would buy one of each just to make a video series comparing them! :P Maybe one day.

Aziara
10-19-2013, 12:01 PM
If I had enough $$ I would buy one of each just to make a video series comparing them! :P Maybe one day.
Totally wish I had the money to do something like that :D

Mermaid Nautica Rose
10-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a leaderfins sport monofin in medium. It actually has a really nice flow and some serious power as well. I also heard the medium is the competitors hardness which is really why I chose it. I will admit the footpockets were really tight on top of my feet and I had to trim them down, but once I did it was really comfortable and doesn't cause any more pain or cramping. The same went for my friend, Calypso, who has the same monofin as I do and she also had to cut the footpockets. I'm not really sure if that answered any questions, but If you have any feel free to ask. Also, I'll try to get a video next time I go swimming (which I think is Wednesday). Hope this helps.

MerEmma
10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Do you have any video? :D

Mermaid Nautica Rose
10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry but I don't yet, however, I don't have school Wednesday so ill try and get some footage then..

MerEmma
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I'd love that if it's not too much trouble, it sounds like a great fin. :D

Aziara
12-21-2013, 11:22 PM
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get that video?

Mermaid Melanie
01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
I just got my own Special Fin mono fin Im off to test it out tomorrow - will post results in My New Monofin - thread ! :D so far it looks gorgeous - looking forward to the first swim :D x