PDA

View Full Version : Accessory making tips and tricks?

Mer-Crazy
10-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey guys! I'm super interested in making some accessories/tops for myself BUT I really have no clue where to start. I figured the internet would be the best place to shop for shells, but where do I get the netting and seaweed? Can I find the seaweed in pet shops? I was thinking maybe a fishing or camping shop for the netting? Or is it better to get it online?
Also one of my biggest questions is how do I put it together? I thought maybe hot glue. Does anyone know what people like Raven use?
Also in terms of paint does anyone know what kind/brand to use?

Please keep in mind I live in Australia, so our shopping is awful in terms of variety and I don't want to spend a fortune on shipping.

Scottish Mer
10-20-2013, 10:38 PM
With the UK it's kinda the same, shipping is a nightmare and we don't have the good old Walmart or crazy craft stores that won't eat your money in one go.
Last time checked, Raven I think uses the glue e6000 (Pretty sure you can get that in Australia). We don't have it here (if we do then I must have been looking in the wrong place xD) so, I'm using Gorilla glue and a 'all purpose' glue from Bostik. Apart from that if gluing can't be done you could try sewing. Seaweed can be gotten at a local craft store and same with the fishing net, (Not here~!) I had to use a pet store for the seaweed, not cheap but I got what I wanted then and there, ordering costs a bit more and I found not really worth it since I lose time and a bit of extra money. The fish netting, I looked into a fishing store and was informed it's better to order the netting you want instead since the fishing nets they're are more likely to sell are already with a handle and you just want the net. That's all I really know, so I hope someone can give you better tips and I look forward to seeing what you make! :D

Seatan
10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Man, I really want to live in several places outside the continental US (mostly places with beautiful beaches!) but seeing over and over how hard it is to get stuff outside the US makes me go :jawdrop:.

It's just crazy that so much stuff is marketed mainly to America.

Scottish Mer
10-20-2013, 10:56 PM
The US seems to have better craft items, prices and fabrics too, It's rare to find lycra for tail making here and it's your arm and leg for neoprene sheets if you ever find any, you have to import it all. =/

PearlieMae
10-20-2013, 11:25 PM
A lot of companies make the biggest part of their international profits from the shipping and handling. Mailing stuff out of the US isn't all that cheap, but it's definitely cheaper than most online companies. We should start some sort of shopping coop. We could use Amazon gift cards as they are readily available in most countries. There will have to be an element of trust, though.

Here's how I'm thinking it might work. Mermaid A in the UK wants spandex, and a few other craft items. She contacts Mermaid B in the US, through the forum our private message with her shopping list. Mermaids B prices it out, guesstimates the weight and gets a price for shipping to the UK. Mermaid A buys a gift card in that amount from the retailer of Mermaid B's choice online, and Mermaid B goes and buys the supplies and seems them off as a gift to Mermaid A.

The details would all have to be worked out, but it can work, don't you think? I use gift cards as an example because they are readily available and you don't have to go converting the money into different currencies. Thoughts?

Scottish Mer
10-21-2013, 06:15 AM
That is true and could work out great, only problem I think would be gaining someone's trust and also trusting someone else along with the whole thing. So, could that work the same for shipping to Australia? (It's kinda like asking for a partner in crime. :lol:)

Winged Mermaid
10-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Raven loves her hot glue- on all the stuff I've seen (including her tops) she uses it mostly. However hot glue doesn't hold up over time. I've seen some of her tops and such coming apart first hand because the hot glue started giving out in several months time. Then again maybe she's changed since then *shrug*. Either way, I only use it for minimal stuff, like gluing plants together in bunches before actually gluing them to something else with another kind of glue. I've been meaning to write a thread on gluing, but i just keep forgetting.

Basically only use hot glue for minimal stuff, or stuff that you absolutely have to have a large glob of glue that will dry in a minute or so. Avoid it if you can. I advise E6000, but for heavy duty stuff like shells to bra or shells to hair clips use Gorilla glue. Love that stuff so much, but since it dries yellow it can't always be used. I also use superglue for small things (like putting pearls on a shell or securing a knot) as it's handy but is brittle, and can be unreliable if you use more than a tiny amount. Epoxy is amazing for shell on shell or shell on glass, especially if you break a shell and need to repair it. JB Weld for metal on metal- sometimes I use it to secure jump links or other such on jewelry. I've used all the glues mentioned in my entire post on 1 hair clip before. I'm not one to call it E6000 and done. So my tip? Use the glue that's best for the job. If that means multi glued accessories, then do it! Also to glue properly: 1) clean the surface well and get rid of any oils, I suggest acetone as rubbing alcohol can leave a residue that can cause issues with some glues 2) rough up the sides of what you're gluing together if you can- simple sandpaper is good for this 3) CLAMP IT. #3 is the most overlooked, but by far the thing that will help your glue bonds be the strongest that they can. Little clamps are $0.67 each at Home Depot- seriously worth it. Using the right glue and clamping means sometimes you have to wait a day or night before you can continue to making your piece. To me the piece lasting a long time is worth it, VS using hot glue or some such and having it come apart a few months down the line.

Fishing line is awesome. For secure knots use two sets of pliers to tighten each knot (one for each end of the line) and use multiple knots.

Since your location I don't know about finding stuff. Craft stores here carry recycled fishing net for decor. I've also seen it sold in military surplus stores. For plants you CAN use aquarium plants but they're hecka expensive. Try any store that has a faux floral section for decor or crafting. Just pick stuff that you think would look good. But if you can at all buy the plasticky stuff, not the fabricky feeling stuff. The fabric plants just don't last as long- they tend to fade, peel away from their veins or branches, and come apart.

Good luck!

AniaR
10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
My raven tops don't have hot glue. It looks like it in photos but when you touch it feels more like e600. (Shell top, octo top, seaweed)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
That is true and could work out great, only problem I think would be gaining someone's trust and also trusting someone else along with the whole thing. So, could that work the same for shipping to Australia? (It's kinda like asking for a partner in crime. :lol:)

Not crime so much, just a little side-stepping of companies that take advantage...we're just generous mers who like to gift each other! ;)

I will research what it would cost to mail a 2lb. package to Australia later today, as a baseline. I figure East Coast mers can mail to Europe and West coast to Australia and the Pacific Rim. And yeah, there will have to be a leap of faith unless we can figure out a way to hold funds in escrow, somehow.

MerEmma
10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
She probably switched, then!

PearlieMae
10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.thistothat.com/ is a great resource for adhesives and doing some research on how they work can offer a lot of insight. The trivia links here are excellent.

Mer-Crazy
10-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Another few questions:

1- Paint? I'm sure some shell tops I've seen are painted, unless there is a place that sells beautiful purple or sea foam green shells that are big enough for bras. What paint should I use and is there a better painting method? I'd assume airbrush?

2- Metal clips/links? With hair pieces how do they clip in place? Are simple metal hair clips used? If so, how do they not rust? And would it be a viable option to connect plants/shells etc to belts/bracelets/necklaces with small metal rings? I've seen fishing line used mostly but wondering if this was an option too?

Winged Mermaid
10-30-2013, 03:45 AM
Another few questions:

1- Paint? I'm sure some shell tops I've seen are painted, unless there is a place that sells beautiful purple or sea foam green shells that are big enough for bras. What paint should I use and is there a better painting method? I'd assume airbrush?

2- Metal clips/links? With hair pieces how do they clip in place? Are simple metal hair clips used? If so, how do they not rust? And would it be a viable option to connect plants/shells etc to belts/bracelets/necklaces with small metal rings? I've seen fishing line used mostly but wondering if this was an option too?

For shells, acrylic paint works great :) Usually a few layers are needed to get it solid, especially for lighter colors. For white pearlized paint that's translucent you need a lot more than normal paint as well (I lose count on how many layers I use.. 20+?) so just keep that in mind when picking colors. Airbrush isn't necessary at all, hand brushing is fine. If you really wanna seal that paint on there for good, a layer of craft epoxy resin will do that, but it's not necessary.

For hair clips you can use whatever type clip you want. I use these:

They stay in great- with the use of Raven's super handy tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOruTJHibo). My hair is super fine and can't hold regular clips but with this I have no issue at all. I've never had a rust issue. Just make sure to rinse it (and all other accessories) after use, pat dry, and hang to hair dry before storing.

Fishing line is great for some stuff, but for others correct use of findings is way better. For shells, drilling holes in them (use a P100 respirator (http://3mcollision.com/products/welding/respirators/3m-half-facepiece-respirator-packout-07182.html) or drill it while it's underwater- seashell dust can cause lung disease) then attaching them with a jump ring. Other things you can use string ends to clamp down on them then add them on with a jump ring.

They look like these-

or these

You put what you need to in then crimp them closed with pliers.

:thumbs-up: