PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Mersona Help You Swim?

Seatan
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
So after a stressful day at work, I went to swim at the gym in my monofin. I get in and I am having NO fun. I'm choking on water, I'm feeling like I can hardly stay under the surface for five seconds without running out of breath, I'm worn out and just generally not having a good time. Then I realize, I'm not in mersona!

On the shore I am very much a realist, with a touch of pessimism thrown in. I think negative things before positive most of the time--not in a bad mood kind of way, but just no sugar coating things. But Seavanna... Seavanna's different.

As Seavanna I'm looking at the silly humans trying to play in MY water, giggling. I'm too busy chasing imaginary fish to remember that my lungs are burning, and I'm just having fun smiling and flapping around. When water goes down my throat I just laugh and splash. She's like a dolphin at play, out to explore and enjoy the water. As long as I play Seavanna, the sun is bright and the water is blue and life is just mischievous games and happy times. It's an amazing way to relax, and it makes me swim better!

Does anyone else actually play their mersona out like that, transforming themselves into an actual mermaid in their minds, separating themselves from the humans trying to swim? And if so, do you find that it makes you swim better? It's amazing what the mind can do...

AniaR
10-22-2013, 02:04 AM
totally. In one of my first interviews, and in my book I talk about how Raina gives me a confidence I've never known. Due to illness I am very uncoordinated on land, I have balance issues, I don't do any sport or dance (not for lack of trying) and it eats away at my confidence. But when I put on a tail and gain that speed, that strength.. it is the ONLY time in my life where I feel strong and I become a whole other being. But now, because I get to be Raina so much, I feel my two identities have merged :) and it's awesome. I've never felt more "me" than when I am a mermaid.

Melusine
10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
No, I totally haven't done that! But am definitely gonna have a go...

Aziara
10-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes and no. I suppose you could say my mersona came well before I knew I was a mermaid, lol. Even as a kid, I got more brave (I'm so shy) and all my troubles roll off as soon as I hit the water.

Seatan
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
totally. In one of my first interviews, and in my book I talk about how Raina gives me a confidence I've never known. Due to illness I am very uncoordinated on land, I have balance issues, I don't do any sport or dance (not for lack of trying) and it eats away at my confidence. But when I put on a tail and gain that speed, that strength.. it is the ONLY time in my life where I feel strong and I become a whole other being. But now, because I get to be Raina so much, I feel my two identities have merged :) and it's awesome. I've never felt more "me" than when I am a mermaid.

I have got to read your book... I keep meaning to download it but my credit card is never within reach when I think about it and I'm a lazy butt, lol. You're a very inspiring person, Raina, and its good to know that our mer qualities can meld with the old us! I know you're an educator, and so you probably know that teaching 300 teenagers every day leaves you needing a little happiness and self confidence at the end of the day, lol. I guess to some degree out nets elves are the best parts of us that shine in the water!