PDA

View Full Version : How is Neoprene effected by salt water, and chlorine?

AtlantisDreamer
10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
As most the frequent posters have begun to become familiar with me, you all know I'm getting ready to buy my first tail... I was wondering, how does Neoprene hold up to elements in both salt water, and in a chlorinated pool? What about a lake that contains a lot of microbes, dirt and bacteria... Probably not a good place to swim, but it's a popular lake to swim in and I thought it would probably be a good place to practice with the tail once I've become comfortable in the pool and am ready to take the next step up before going out to the ocean... I'm looking at spending about $700 for this tail, not including the 5mm wetsuit pants that I'll need underneath for insulation and buoyancy. The cost is high because I'm insisting on a Competitor Monofin. The bay I intend to swim in has some strong riptide areas and I need the propulsion of the more expensive fin to be able to combat the elements safely. So, any opinions? On anything... Particularly the salt water and chlorine issue, but also if anyone has any feedback on the price I'm looking at, that would be appreciated too. Thank you kind merfolk! You've been helping me along with this process in answering my questions and I GREATLY appreciate it! :hail:

English Mermaid Pearl
10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi my thoughts are that considering neoprene has been designed and made to go in the sea it should be pretty durable with all the proper care and maintenance. For example my mother has had her wet suit for YEARS and YEARS and it's still in amazing condition - but she does make sure it's thoroughly washed to remove any chlorine or salt residue and then dried out completely and hung up to stop it creasing etc...
I know here in the UK divers wear wetsuits in the dirtiest of waters, like rivers that run through cities, so again I suppose it comes down to maintenance of the neoprene.
My neoprene tail budget has been similar to your $700 budget (going by Google conversion rates) and so far I have managed to get everything I believe I need (monofin, neoprene, a huge amount of sequins, stuff to make the dorsal fin & a couple of zippers) so you should be fine if your careful...

AniaR
10-24-2013, 08:38 PM
you might find this helpful http://www.seventhwave.co.nz/site/seventhwave/files//Neoprene_Inside_Story.pdf

AtlantisDreamer
10-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback - and the link :)

Mermaid Melanie
10-25-2013, 03:09 AM
here an idea of how long a 5 mm will last - i have a full 5mm wetsuit and must have done over 500 dives in it and it is still pretty thick and warm - in the past 50 dives i have noticed the compression of the neoprene but thats due to diving deep - neoprene will be fine just a heads up though 5mm new is VERY buoyant ... you will find it hard to stay down without weights hope this helps xx

Rehan125
12-12-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't usually swim with my arms when dolphin kicking, but it would make treading water tough...

Capt Nemo
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Actually, wetsuits are rated for 150-200 wears, but they can last much longer. Soak and/or shampoo in fresh water after a dive in salt or chlorine. The salt will crystalize and cut the nylon fibers leading to rips. Chlorine will bleach the color of the nylon and also make the fibers brittle. You can always tell the pool suits at dive shops as they are severely faded, and most tear easy. Sun will bleach out the nylon and the UV will also do damage to the neoprene.

Some of the wetsuit shampoos (McNett) will help prevent sun damage when used regularly.

Compression happens to wetsuits due to the compression of the nitrogen bubbles in the fabric. The pressure pops the little bubbles slowly, and will give a rippled appearance to the fabric when it gets severe. Creases also do the same to the fabric, only faster! After a couple of dives, a new suit will take the shape of the wearer due to compression. This makes used suits troublesome when trying to fit different people.

Older neoprenes like G-231 are stiffer and not as strechy, but last longer. The hyperflex type neoprenes suffer damage faster and have the shortest life.

AtlantisDreamer
03-12-2014, 12:36 AM
When I originally posted this, I didn't realize that Neoprene is actually the substance they make wetsuits out of. I've been a surfer for six years or so, so I'm actually familiar with everything you just mentioned - I actually feel a little idiotic for not having made the realization about Neoprene sooner. I had a really good suit from O'Neil… Surfing, it only lasted about one season. It got a frayed appearance, scratchy on the inside, and a lot of damage was done to the outside from the sand, specifically when paddling in on a big day and getting washed up on the sand. I guess I can apply that concept to the idea of a Neoprene tail then...