PDA

View Full Version : Validating Moments

AniaR
10-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I just wanted to share a neat moment that happened to me today. I went to an entrepreneurs forum in my city, all local businesses and professionals. I was really nervous about going but Halifax Mermaids is expanding faster than I can keep up so I need business advisory on legal and liability aspects etc to make sure I'm on the ball with everything. I expected to be with a bunch of people who are nothing like me, and when I walked in I realized I was the youngest one there, and there werent many women, and most of the people were hugely successful and rich in some cases. I was so nervous. They gave me a nametag and it had "Halifax Mermaids" on it. So naturally people came up and asked about it, and I had my portfolio ready to show them. The suddenly, there were 5 different people who all knew me and knew of me, and a FAN was there representing an HR Firm. He had a photo with me from the Pirates Festival on his phone. He came over and in front of all these potential investors, talked me up, and mentioned my most recent FB post and how poignant he thought it was. (which was super validating for me!)

Anyway, it was just such a cool thing, thinking I was going to be the black sheep only to see that people knew who I was and loved what I do. Just goes to show you there is space for us mermaids in the corporate world! :D

Echidna
10-24-2013, 07:26 PM
<3
The harsher and brutal the corporate world becomes, the more everyone will need to take a break from it,
and forget all RL &%$ for a while in a true fantasy timeout.

Mermaids (and fairies, and musicals, etcetc) are not just for children and young women.
Hopefully this positive attitude spreads toward Europe.
It's still regarded as a loony fad here I'm afraid :/

Seatan
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Oh my gosh, that's amazing Raina! What a cool experience! I think business people nowadays know darn well that children are an awesome market and that such a cool and different kind of entertainer is very much a valid business--who WOULDN'T shell out the bucks for something as neat as a mermaid?

AniaR
10-24-2013, 10:21 PM
well we don't just do Children's stuff either :) I think entertainment and education is a great untapped market

deepblue
10-24-2013, 10:58 PM
That is so cool. :) <3

PearlieMae
10-24-2013, 11:24 PM
It's because you are freaking awesome! Congrats!

Mermaid Danielle
10-26-2013, 12:37 AM
That is awesome! Congratulations!