PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian and the Beast

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
10-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Sebastian and the Beast has nothing to do with disney, crabs, or adorable bookworms.

Now that that's out of the way, Sebastian and the Beast is a pretty clever re-imagining of the Beauty and the Beast story.

The titular Sebastian is an attractive military captain in a medieval world where certain people have magic powers, horses have minor features of mythical equines, and elven creatures try to create intricate curses and enchantments to reinforce good behavior.

Sebastian, his fiancee by an arranged marriage (a merchant's daughter, perhaps a nod to the original story), and one of his fellow soldiers are caught in a winter storm that results in the merchant's death. The three survivors end up at a mysterious castle, where they are fed and well-dressed. On the way out, the merchant's daughter sees a rose growing on the wall, and Sebastian gallantly picks it for her... only to be pinned to the wall by an angry tentacled, octopus-eyed monster. Sebastian buys his soldier pal and fiancee their freedom by agreeing to stay as the Beast's prisoner. Together, the two of them end up living together in an odd, usually uneasy friendship. The secrets of the Beast's past, plus the revelation that despite being in an arranged engagement, Sebastian is gay, keep the readers on their toes. So it's not strictly mermaid-y, but anyone who likes ursula-esque creatures will definitely like the Beast.

The art initially starts off pretty sketchy, and the radio comix logo in the lower left corner can block some of the writing. Some notes on what the different gods are, some of the cultural differences between our world and the comic's setting, the nature of the fae, and how magic works are left vague. The mostly black and white artwork does make some of the more action-y scenes a bit confusing ("Is the stream of squiggles a spell, tentacles, sword swipes, or something else?")The comic is still in progress, and updates one page at a time, meaning it will take awhile before the series is finished. Still, the art is cool, the characters are cute, it is occasionally funny, and it's a good read. What do you guys think?

SeaGlass Siren
10-26-2013, 07:25 AM
I've watched enough Hentai to know where this is going

Lol jk. Yeah I'd totally read this. I wanna see what happens!

MerAnthony
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM
It actually sounds quit interesting for a twist on Beauty an the Beast story. I myself am not a fave of twists on stories but just to keep them classic, but this one has me intrigued. Sounds great so far. Keep up the good work.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
10-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Oh crumbs, did I forget to leave a link? My bad.

Here it is: Sebastian & The Beast (http://www.radiocomix.com/sebastian-and-the-beast/)

And MerAnthony, I didn't write Sebastian and the Beast... it is a webcomic that I read on a regular basis. Hope you guys enjoy.