PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids wearing swimming googles

MermaidStormy
11-01-2013, 06:29 AM
I have been quite curious on what other people think of this but is it so bad for a mermaid to wear goggles underwater or rely on them all the time if they cannot open there eyes underwater?

I have always had this issue I am trying to learn to open my eyes underwater but I've had people say to me I should be able to open my eyes underwater and not rely on stupid goggles. Well my eyes are alright in mild chlorine but anywhere else I would swim I always need my googles otherwise my eyes will just swell up red slightly so I am just curious on other peoples thoughts are on this. :)

Echidna
11-01-2013, 04:47 PM
This has been discussed frquently in this very subforum (as well as in other threads).
Feel free to search around a bit!
There are many (differing) opinions about it, as can be expected.

It's prudent though to always wear goggles when you're not doing a shot/gig/event, especially in chlorine.

Mermaid Melody
11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
i found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKm3Pq9U8M

MermaidStormy
11-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Thankyou both for your help :D ​

selkie13
01-10-2014, 05:25 AM
i wear goggles and still intend to when i get my tail made. im very short sighted so i kinda need glases or goggles to hlep me see. the weirdest part it when i wear normal googles i can see clearly underwater yet nothing above lol

mermaidtigris
01-16-2014, 07:26 AM
I always wear goggles with my mermaid tail because I kick up a lot of sand with my fin and sand in your eyes is no fun.

Miyu
01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I plan to wear my goggles a lot while practicing in tail. I am a small person, so I got some cute pink and purple Speedo goggles with holgraphic hearts on the lenses... It kind of works for my mer-sona :P I'd rather be able to see where I'm going than look pretty and run into walls and people >.<

Thankfully, around here we have a less-chlorinated pool, so we can go sans goggles for a while.

Plus, if you're around kids in tail, you can always say the pool water hurts your eyes :P

Mermaid Jaffa
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll be wearing goggles, prescription swim goggles to be exact! Because I am blind without my glasses, and since being more interested in swimming, the more I look at tails and mermaid swimming on youtube. I have bumped and slapped into people, pool walls, scraped knees on the bottom and slammed face first into the pool wall! So I'm eager to have my special goggles made up, I have very high astigmatism and very short sighted. I will decorate mine so they won't look like goggles.

When I get to the point of where I'll have a tail, if kids ask, I'll just say that I was grew up on land and didn't discover I was a mermaid till very much later in life.

Miyu
01-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Ireneho: Yay! I'm one of the handful of mers who have a human-to-mer "persona"... It seems like most mers' backstory involes being a real mer from birth! I plan on using my "mersona backstory" as an inspirational "tail" for the kiddos :)

Bellasea
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I wear goggles in my tail and I havent had a person ask me about them, yet. But I like the idea of telling kids that the pool water is hurts my eyes, because its not freshwater/salt-water. So its like unnatural water, I guess I could tell them.

Mermaid Dottie
01-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Miyu, Ireneho, you guys, too?^_^
I always tell kids I was turned into a mermaid by a good fairy. I've got a big long story that goes with that explanation, too, but yeah. Human first, then a mermaid. <3
On topic, I have to wear glasses when I drive, so I tell the kids that I need glasses in the water, too.

Mermaid Cecelia
01-27-2014, 06:15 PM
I have terrible vision, so I always wear glasses or contacts. If I ever do gigs I would wear glasses out of the water and then nothing in the water, cuz I can see pretty well underwater without goggles and my contacts would fall out. Wearing the glasses in the water never really helped me, it just made them rusty :P I'd tell the kids that my mermaid eyes are adjusted to the water vision, so out of the water I can't see very well and need glasses. I haven't really come up with a backstory...

Mermaid Jaffa
01-27-2014, 06:25 PM
To those who need to wear glasses, I found a company that makes custom swim goggles that don't squash your eyeballs. Instead they sit on the outside part, the eye ridge. And reading about how some of you are performing mermaids, you can wear it on land as well. They do look quite nice, not ugly like diving masks. They didn't have my power on the website, so I'm getting them specially done.

I hope its ok to put a link...

http://www.sportviz.com.au/index.html

SeaGlass Siren
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Omg guys I just had a thought.

Seahorse goggles 0-0 that also covers the nose area.

That way we can see underwater and don't have to worry about water up the nose

Mermaid Jaffa
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Omg guys I just had a thought.

Seahorse goggles 0-0 that also covers the nose area.

That way we can see underwater and don't have to worry about water up the nose

Ewww! I don't want no stinking seahorse tail up me nose!

Mermaid Dottie
01-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Actually, I think that's a cute idea. SeaGlass, could you sketch out what you had in mind for us?

Mermaid Jaffa
01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Yahoo! I just ordered my water eyes with special lenses!

Mermaid Adriel
02-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Yahoo! I just ordered my water eyes with special lenses!

I'd like, too xD

lollikit
02-06-2014, 01:30 AM
hey! (1st post)

I wear goggles under water, like most people but im planing on making flying goggles/goggles! so I can say that there for when I go fast. :cthulhu:

MermaidStormy
02-06-2014, 04:04 AM
hey! (1st post)

I wear goggles under water, like most people but im planing on making flying goggles/goggles! so I can say that there for when I go fast. :cthulhu:

Naww awesome <3
Can't wait to see them

Echidna
02-11-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm really unhappy with my goggle-situation right now.

Going without isn't an option in pools (I can't see straight for days after from the chlorine) or in the seedy, gross lakes hereabouts.
I would swim without only in the ocean, or really clean lakes, and those are far away, so boo.

Usually I had some small swimmer's goggles, which give me glass-clear sight, but these are not supposed to be worn when diving (even just a few inches under the surface can be damaging), so I bought really large goggles for medium depth (pools), and a diving mask for real depth.

The big goggles fill constantly with water so much they're practically useless (probably because my face is narrow), I've tightened and tightened the straps until the blasted thing nearly split my skull, and still it leaked like no tomorrow.

The diving mask is halfway ok (only leaks sometimes and if I go deeper), but somehow it's very murky.
It has clear glasses, but looking through them is like being in a dense fog :(
Even worse, it prevents the diving reflex.
It literally halves my underwater time. And each time I surface, I have to fumble the thing off so I can breathe through the nose.

All in all, it's a gigantic bother :p

How I do wish I could have a private lil' saltwater pool. I could go without blasted goggles and masks, and even without the swimcaps (those are so tight I get headaches)
:(

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Have you looked at other brands of goggles? There are some that don't sit on your eye sockets, and some that are bigger than regular swimming goggles but smaller than a diving mask.

The prescription ones I ordered also come in just the core. That is, they don't have the prescription insert inside of it, just the goggle.

Mermaid Galene
04-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Ireneho, did you get your Sportviz goggles? How do you like them? I'm an extremely nearsighted mermaid, and I am shopping around for goggles.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Ireneho, did you get your Sportviz goggles? How do you like them? I'm an extremely nearsighted mermaid, and I am shopping around for goggles.

Yes I did. Two pairs actually! Let me explain...

The Sportviz goggle don't sit on your eyeballs. Instead they go on your skull around the eye ridge area. It's more like a mask, and you get a wider view.
The prescription inserts clip onto the goggle from the inside, so you can remove it for easy cleaning. I had problems with mine not fitting right so ended up with a lot of leaking...

The first goggle was the one I paid for and had custom made for my prescription. My eyesight is -10.00 and -9.00.
They worked great until I went underwater. It was flooding in my eyes, the water rushing in! Not so great if you have no nose bridge like me. I was told by the rep that the pair I got is made for Western faces and therefore will leak no matter what seal I would try to fit in the nose part.

Second goggle was sent to me free of charge, as I said it was a nice fit and I wanted to continue using it but the leaking was annoying so they sent me a prototype to test. This one is made for Asian faces or those with low nose bridges.
I must have a really bad face because it still leaks a little bit at the nose part, but not as much the first one. This pair I don't have to empty every time I go under water like the first goggle.

The Asian fit goggles isn't on the market yet as there are a few things they have fix before they can sell it.

In the meantime, I got spare goggles from Eyeline. They go right up to my prescription and even have in between dioptres.
http://www.eyeline.com.au/Shop/Search.aspx?cid=22

Mermaid Galene
04-13-2014, 10:23 AM
I definitely want to get some prescription goggles. There's a nice thread over in the Makeup area of the forum about decorating goggles with a filigree mask so you can wear them during performances.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I definitely want to get some prescription goggles. There's a nice thread over in the Makeup area of the forum about decorating goggles with a filigree mask so you can wear them during performances.

I don't understand why you would go without, especially if you need to wear glasses to see.

One is just making it worse for one's self if you avoid wearing them during swimming.

Starfrit
04-14-2014, 01:14 AM
I've been trying to practice swimming with my eyes open underwater, without goggles... I can't do it. It burns my eyes way too much and I'm worried that the chlorine will cause my eyesight to get worse than it already is.

I found I was having a major leaking problem with my goggles too when I first bought them (I can't remember what the brand is, it was just a cheap Wal-Mart brand)... then I discovered on my second swim that that problem was only happening because I was wearing them upside-down. Oops.

I might look into getting a pair with prescription lenses, but I'm not 100% sure yet; I can see pretty well wearing normal goggles without prescriptions, though I've found in my diving practices (only in the shallow end of the pool though, I'm still struggling with getting over my phobia of being fully submerged in water so I'm not going anywhere near the deep end unless my head is above water!) I've been getting a little disoriented and having trouble measuring distance. I scraped my collarbone off the bottom of the pool at one point because I underestimated how shallow it was and then I bumped my shoulder off the side because I couldn't tell how far it was. Not sure if that's more to do with my eyesight (depth perception isn't nearly so bad without my glasses above water) or if it's just some sort of trick with the water that will get better with more practice.

I'm thinking of incorporating goggles into my mersona, but I don't know about the filigree mask for me... I might see if I can find/make a pair of water-friendly steampunk-style goggles, or something!

Mermaid Danielle
04-14-2014, 01:57 AM
When doing events in the pool, you could just tell kids the truth; like for humans, mermaids eyes are sensitive, and chlorine hurts too much to swim with eyes open long term. Using goggles helps protect your eyes, just like for them.

If they say anything along the lines of 'well I can do it', just remind them your a mermaid that is usually swimming in the ocean.

In murky lakes it shouldn't matter. The kids probably won't be able to see your eyes anyways. Or you could just keep redirecting their attention and putting it off till later.

Mermaid Wesley
04-14-2014, 02:49 AM
chlorine wont effect your eyesight long term, but if you dislike it then go for goggles.

Ilyena
04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Danielle: That is the same explanation I've used for why I wear goggles :D.

Even though he's not a mermaid I bought my partner a pair of prescription goggles for christmas because every time he's swum with me all he can see is blurry shapes and he always went on about not being able to see how we move underwater.

Nixie Pixie
10-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Love this!

Ashton
10-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I wear googles when practicing in pools. When I am doing an event with children in the pool I just do my best to not go under as much, I still stay in mermaid character but after a while the choline really burns my eyes.

But I have no problem having my eyes open in the ocean.

suzanne86
10-05-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm near-sighted--blind without my glasses. Do my swim workouts with regular non-prescription goggles. They fog up sometimes, and deposits can form on the inside surfaces of the lenses. I don't care. Swimming freestyle in the pool doing the "black line fever" thing, as long as I can see the lines, I'm fine. Doesn't matter to me whether the vision is totally clear or not. The pool is indoors. With backstroke, if I can see the roof rafters, then I can swim in a straight line. If I have to share a lane, then I look to the side at the lane line so I won't bump my lane partner. When swimming in the tail, tell the kids that some mers have to wear glasses, because they spend too much time reading when they're not in the water! :-)

Mermaid Jaffa
10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm near-sighted--blind without my glasses. Do my swim workouts with regular non-prescription goggles. They fog up sometimes, and deposits can form on the inside surfaces of the lenses. I don't care. Swimming freestyle in the pool doing the "black line fever" thing, as long as I can see the lines, I'm fine. Doesn't matter to me whether the vision is totally clear or not. The pool is indoors. With backstroke, if I can see the roof rafters, then I can swim in a straight line. If I have to share a lane, then I look to the side at the lane line so I won't bump my lane partner. When swimming in the tail, tell the kids that some mers have to wear glasses, because they spend too much time reading when they're not in the water! :-)
I rinse my goggles with a tiny drop of Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo (Original, not the pinkish colored one) in each eye cup, but don't wash out all the bubbles. Leave some in, so it feels little bit slimey when you touch it.

theMerFanc
10-09-2015, 02:27 AM
Anyone remember these?
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=33350&stc=1
I just HAD to have them when I was younger even though I was a little past the target age and it was all to small for me >.< Something like the goggles in this set could be made by an experienced top or accessories maker!

mermanmike
10-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I usually wear goggles when I swim. Mainly because I never liked the idea of getting anything in my eyes and I like to play better safe than sorry. It's probably also because I'm really cautious on things so I really don't want to dive in without them and suddenly have something in my eyes from it.

Ashton
10-16-2015, 01:15 AM
If I knew this existed when I was a kid I would have had it!

Mermaid Mystery
10-16-2015, 01:26 AM
I used to wear those! major throwback haha

Mermaid Olivia!
10-16-2015, 02:22 AM
Anyone remember these?
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=33350&stc=1

Oh my gosh, yes! My Nana got these for me for my birthday when I was 6 or 7! I loved them and used them all the time, even though the goggles always leaked and the gloves and flippers were a bit big on me LOL!

AptaMer
10-18-2015, 10:40 AM
One brand you might consider is the Eagle by AquaSphere

http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.ca/aqua-sphere-eagle.html

You can change the prescription lenses yourself, if you need to.

I have tried them without prescription lenses and they have fit leak-free for me and they've worked for another person after I popped some prescription lenses in for her.

Mermaid Kerenza Sapphire
12-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Glad I found this - I'm extremely near sighted and usually swim on the surface in glasses and underwater with goggles. Once I'm used to my tail & fin, I'm planning to be a steampunk mermaid so will customise my goggles to match my planned tail.

I LOVE the explanation of reading too much on land - that's more or less true for me :P

PetLoverSpy
12-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I love the steampunk theme! Steampunk goggles are fabulous, and even though that's not the look I'm goign for I'll probably acquire some in the future: https://www.steampunkgoggles.com/product/rebel-winged-steampunk-goggles/
It's perfect for merfolk, in my opinion.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-15-2015, 11:03 PM
I love the steampunk theme! Steampunk goggles are fabulous, and even though that's not the look I'm goign for I'll probably acquire some in the future: https://www.steampunkgoggles.com/product/rebel-winged-steampunk-goggles/
It's perfect for merfolk, in my opinion.

Those are great!!! I wonder if its chlorine proof?

PetLoverSpy
12-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I wondered about that as well. If you google 'steampunk swimming goggles' there are TONS, so I'm sure one of them must be!

Ashton
12-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Most of them are just normal goggles that just have been painted, I haven't seen anyone market 'real' swim goggles that are steam-punk inspired.
Maybe etsy has them.

theMerFanc
12-19-2015, 08:17 PM
I found these goggles and I am going to buy them when i get my fin and water socks. I am super excite because they are brown <3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1MQ3V2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_12&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Merman Andrew
12-31-2015, 09:56 AM
I heard the girls in H2o Just Add Water would put a few drops of milk in their eyes before swimming which apparently helps to keep their eyes open. This is for salt water swimming I believe.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Wesley
01-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Milk can contain bacteria that can hurt your eyes. We've covered it before, I wish it were a good idea but it's just not :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashton
01-02-2016, 07:17 PM
I have never had any problems with opening my eyes in the ocean, the only time that my eyes burn is in pools because of the chemicals.

LouLouBelle
01-03-2016, 01:35 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with eyesight!

I wear prescription goggles when I swim (I don't have a tail yet so I'm just asking about 'normal' pool swimming). I've thought about using silicone to cover the hinges on an older pair of glasses I have and decorating them to look like a masquerade-ball-type mask. I'd also add a strap of some sort to help keep them on when swimming. 'The Masked Mermaid'

At the moment, however, I'm sticking with my goggles.

I'm not sure if everyone else is aware of this, but thought it would be worthwhile mentioning. Apparently it's not a good idea to wear contacts when you swim at all. The surface of the contact lens can serve as a breeding ground for a certain type of bacteria, so even just being splashed in the eye while wearing contacts could lead to a serious eye infection.

I always used to wear contacts and plain goggles till I found this out. I asked my optician and ophthalmologist and they both confirmed it, so I don't use contacts in water any more.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-03-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with eyesight!

I wear prescription goggles when I swim (I don't have a tail yet so I'm just asking about 'normal' pool swimming). I've thought about using silicone to cover the hinges on an older pair of glasses I have and decorating them to look like a masquerade-ball-type mask. I'd also add a strap of some sort to help keep them on when swimming. 'The Masked Mermaid'

At the moment, however, I'm sticking with my goggles.

I'm not sure if everyone else is aware of this, but thought it would be worthwhile mentioning. Apparently it's not a good idea to wear contacts when you swim at all. The surface of the contact lens can serve as a breeding ground for a certain type of bacteria, so even just being splashed in the eye while wearing contacts could lead to a serious eye infection.

I always used to wear contacts and plain goggles till I found this out. I asked my optician and ophthalmologist and they both confirmed it, so I don't use contacts in water any more.

Yep! I'm blind without my glasses. I never saw the point of swimming without prescription goggles, if you need it to see why then would you go without? But you know, some mers, they like to go for that "realistic" look. Which is great, if you can see.

Dannia
01-03-2016, 07:31 PM
I always wear my goggles when swimming in the pond.
The first time I tried to swim without them, I ended up swimming my face into the sand which didn't feel very good.
If anybody did ask why a mermaid needs to wear goggles, I will tell them I'm from saltwater and the fresh water bothers my eyes :)

Merman Jon
01-03-2016, 10:19 PM
I use goggles to be able to see underwater.

mermanRoman117
01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it