PDA

View Full Version : Ripley's Aquarium opened in TOronto, and they hired a mermaid!

AptaMer
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I missed the opening, but when the new Ripley's aquarium opened in Toronto recently, they had a mermaid on hand to greet people, and performers dressed in cool scaled outfits.

Any Toronto-area mers who would like to get a job might want to follow up.

15590 15591

More info here

https://twitter.com/McAllister_Mark/status/390478463796133888/photo/1

http://globalnews.ca/news/904822/ripleys-aquarium-of-canadas-officially-opens/

Echidna
11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
That's a really pretty tail!
The mermaid was probably only for the opening though, not for permanent.

Which is a bit sad, because smaller children would love a mermaid more than the rest of the exhibition :p
Still, hiring a mermaid performer on a regular basis would cost them more than feeding the poor fish they got in there...

AniaR
11-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Wow those outfits are cool. Is that a mertailor tail? The colour is pretty. I wonder if the girls are from the community or if they were just hired as models. I know they do NOT pay well for mermaids. Melissa had to fly down and stay there when she did it and it was like, not very much, certainly not enough to live on. I make more in a gig than she made in a week. :/ Maybe now though since there's more demand they'll pay better. It's good exposure which is a nice trade off. Just very demanding for little work.

Merman Arion
11-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Wow those outfits are cool. Is that a mertailor tail?

I don't think so. I don't recognize his style. This isn't his usual fluke, neither his usual color pattern. :thinks:

Echidna
11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I know they do NOT pay well for mermaids. Melissa had to fly down and stay there when she did it and it was like, not very much, certainly not enough to live on.

This is the same for any job in performing arts.
Dancers, musicians, most singers- unless you happen to belong to the 3 or 4 stars of the branch,
the earnings are pitiful, and the competition is still insane.

The only upside is to have a job you really love, instead of sitting in an office and pining for the week-end.

SeaGlass Siren
11-04-2013, 08:10 PM
WTF.. HOW DID I MISS THIS??