PDA

View Full Version : Design me a tail?

AniaR
11-04-2013, 11:09 PM
So, Halifax Mermaids will be getting more tails in the upcoming months, and within 2014. Business expansion and all that. I'll be getting a second tail to rotate with my splash one. I have a problem though, I am totally clueless to good designs/ideas. I only ever wanted a splash tail. It was my big dream. And now I have it, and I can't come up with anything. I have one idea in the back of my mind, but I think it might clash with one of the tails we'll be purchasing for Naida. And she's really wanting certain colours... so I'm keeping that idea in my back pocket. I may still go with it because I've NEVER seen it anywhere and I think it's unique... but I'm conflicted over if being "me" vs just a cool idea.

So, obviously sticking with my merbellas, just colour and pattern wise, does anyone have any ideas? I'm keeping the red hair, I'm fairly fare skinned. I just have zero clue. LOL. I want to avoid looking like Ariel. But thats pretty much all I got. Hahaha

Thalassa
11-04-2013, 11:31 PM
So I assume you're wanting to stay away from green in your tail, right? To avoid the Ariel look?

Mermaid Lorelei
11-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Have you thought about possibly going gray? Or purple? Purple and your skin and hair would be seriously exotic.

Firemaid
11-05-2013, 12:42 AM
I think you would look beautiful in a green tail.

If I were you I would totally have Raven design your tail. She's such an amazing artist. I bet she would make just the right tail for you!

New York Mermaid
11-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Hmm I guess it depends on your favorite colors as well, and what colors you wear which you know look great on you in dresses, shirts etc, I think you would look beautiful in a subtle purple tail, or even an all gold tail with flecks of white. But then again you can always be different (let betta fish inspire you :D) See my favorite color is blue so im doing shades of blue/aqua with hints of white and black in my next tail. I have the original color scheme for a blue lavender one as well. I kind of want to see someone do something totally out of this world. Dare to be different. the splash is your signature tail, go purple or just let the fish inspire you. Damsel fish are my inspiration :)

SeaSister
11-05-2013, 01:24 AM
I think that you could definitely pull off a green tail without it looking Ariel-like. For one thing, the Ariel tail is very straight-forward - dark green for the skin, light green for the fluke. You can definitely do way more with it... even just changing the tone of green makes a big difference (eg, olive or turquoise instead of "green" green). And you can add stripes or spots and touches of other colours, etc. etc. Limitless possibilities, really. I would say go with green.

SeaSister
11-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Betta fish always look cool.

http://basementbettas.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/030510-1.jpg

Mermaid Kalliope
11-05-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm totally on this, Raina! Eeee! ^_^

I'll give you a few different ideas. Also, I'm going to stick with "realistic" designs and leave the fins as optional. I don't know if you want the fins or not. :-) YAY!

Hahaha I love designing tails!

Mermaid Kalliope
11-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Quick question: Are you opposed to spots/stripes/other various markings?

Elle
11-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Betta fish always look cool.

http://basementbettas.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/030510-1.jpg

A tail with these colours would look awesome on Naida, it would match her hair!

Mermaid Kelda
11-05-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm gonna concur with a lot of the people above and vote for purple. Purple with red hair always looks stunning :)
Doesn't even have to be "royal" purple though; like any colour there are tonnes of shades you could combine.
http://www.brandigirlblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/shades-of-purple.png

I also love how all of these colours blend together :)
http://www.paperchain.co.za/online/images/Colours%20Blue%20and%20Purple%20Shades%20H.JPG

Echinacea
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Purples and golds are a great combination, I vote for purple for your next tail, too! This little guy is fun! 15599

AniaR
11-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Ugh I wrote a huge post and hit a dead zone so tapatalk didn't post. I'm not really feeling purple. I don't wear much of it unless its an accent color in real life because it brings out shadows on my skin. Plus I wouldn't want to be confused with oceana. There are so few Canadian mermaids

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AniaR
11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I'll post more when I get home. :)

PearlieMae
11-05-2013, 12:54 PM
With your coloring, I think this colorway would look great on you...

MerEmma
11-05-2013, 01:31 PM
^ Definitely have to agree with that!

Really I feel like you could pull off any color, Raina. :P I do really like the orange on you definitely though. I remember you posting somewhere at one point you had a really special blue tail design...I'd love to see you in blue but like I said, you can pretty much pull off anything imo. :b

Kae
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I think tails look best when they follow the person's natural colors. You're definitely an autumn, which is why your orange/brown tail looks so stunning on you. So I would suggest sticking with autumn colors, crimson, burnt orange, brown, olive greens., etc. In fact, the betta tail Pearlie posted is perfection. I wholeheartedly agree with those colors. The til is rich in oranges and olive greens that would complement your skin and hair immensely! Not to mention, the colors are similar to your current tail so that the two almost go together.

That's my vote! An autumn betta tail!

AniaR
11-05-2013, 04:50 PM
So here's what's up:
the other girls have tails that are falling apart. Mimi has my old mertailor that she repainted, and it literally has unfillable holes. Just holes, right through the neoprin. The alex plus wont even bond anymore. Paint wont bond. Thing is dead. lol So she'll have a Raven one with the same paint scheme. It's purple + orange and very mosaic.

Naida has my other tail and it is literally separating into two pieces. It's super see through now, and the monofins have poked through, and the fin isn't glued down. She's going to design a blue merbellas tail, blue is her favourite colour and the colour of the stripe in her hair.

For me, I'm open to green so long as it's not boring. I like the idea of the autumn tail. I love my splash tail, it's just it was the first one and Raven has come so far, and I have worked up to a thicker tail instead of thin. It's a lot of stress to do so many gigs and not have a backup tail incase of emergencies. And I want my splash tail to last for years so having another to rotate would be a huge help.

Kailani, I love your fluke design so much. I'm not sure if you're letting others use it, but I'd pay to use it, lol.

Mermaid Lorelei
11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I agree with the autumnal color scheme for you Raina. You could pull some colors from Ocho if you wanted to be matchy. If not, then perhaps some lovely browns with green and even pops of fall orange, yellow, and red. Something like this:

http://greekstreak.com/blog/assets/2013/09/fall-leaves-tree.jpg

You could even keep to your signature orange somewhat if that was important to you.

Fifi Tigg
11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
The colouring on this little guy is gorgeous!!

Jessica
11-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I love pearlie's fish! It's so perfect! Beautiful colors

raina,
as amazing as raven is with painting....if I could ever afford to order a tail from her I would do the "ravens choice"option. Artists do their best work when they can do anything they want, and i know she could make you an amazing tail if you can't come up with/decide on any ideas of your own. :)

Blondie
11-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Just wondering but, I know red colors look awesome on you Raina. I think your splash tail is the perfect color combination for you. And I think everyone has the right idea with picking out red, oranges, browns, and yellows because those are your colors.

However, would you want another tail that looks so closely to one you already own? I mean just me personally, I'd want something kind of different. I feel like it's kind of like buying the same shirt. I mean you don't have to get something that's TOTALLY different and all but I think it would be more worth while to invest in a new tail that is slightly different from your current Splash tail.

But that all is just me xD Just thought I'd throw the thought out there.

AniaR
11-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah that's what I think too Blondie. I don't want it too look too much like my Splash tail. See why I am having so much trouble coming up with something?!?! lol

SeaGlass Siren
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
well why not have an atlantic salmon tail design? since youre right off the coast :P

AniaR
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Yeah I have considered that. Dr Seaweed was going to make me one like that. I guess just nothing screams out to me. :/ hrrm everyone seems to always have designs in their head they really want. lol and I only ever thought of one.

MerEmma
11-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I know what you mean about struggling to think of designs...lol. I've made like 3 in all that I like, haha. Good luck...that has to be really difficult. =\

Mermaid Lorelei
11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
You said you had a design in your head, possibly. What were you thinking? I know you said it might clash with Naida's tail, but perhaps it could be adjusted so they're both different? :P Iunno, I'm blathering.

AniaR
11-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I will PM you cuz as far as I know no one else has it, and part of me wants to do something realllly unique.

Mermaid Lorelei
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Sounds good.

Blondie
11-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Hmmm I got an idea and a good color scheme in mind. Time to pull up GIMP xD

Mermaid Kalliope
11-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Kailani, I love your fluke design so much. I'm not sure if you're letting others use it, but I'd pay to use it, lol.

Thaaaaaaaaat's a complicated thing. Hahaha Would it be all right to PM you? XP

Also, I'm formulating a few different ideas. ^_^ I can't wait to get colouring. <3

malinghi
11-06-2013, 03:08 AM
I agree with the people who suggested getting other warm colors. Its a good look,and when you perform with other people in your group the tails won't clash.

I also agree with people who suggested going with local fish. I love the idea of a mermaid tail having a cultural and ecological connection to an area. I was just thinking after diving this weekend that I would love a tail based on the Garbaldi. Obviously I'm not suggesting a Garbaldi tail for you since that's pretty close to what you currently have. Also I don't think they live near you.
http://saltwater.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Damselfish/hypsypops-rubicunda.jpg
There are lots of beautiful fish in your region though. Check out the striped bass:

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/images/field_guide/Striped_Bass_page_image1.jpg

Echinacea
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Use the colors from Pearlie Mae's betta, and the stripes from the bass? (Wish I could draw worth a dang...!)

Mermaid Oshun
11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
how will you explain to children that your scales have changed colors ? :$ the good thing is that you can pull off just about any color scales and fins with your colorations! :rainbow:

AniaR
11-06-2013, 10:34 AM
I've changed tails 3 times lol. Kids don't notice unless they've met me before

Elle
11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
You could just go for the exact opposite of your splash tail.....and go green and blue.
And while I know everyone likes looking at fish for colour schemes... you could check out birds, butterflies, (some) insects
I don't see why the design or colours you pick must based on fish only

AniaR
11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I wish I just had a bunch of ideas you know? Instead of being all on the fence. lol. I just never really had my heart set on anything else lol

Mermaid Lorelei
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Does Sean have an opinion on a design? O.O'

AniaR
11-06-2013, 06:35 PM
no. lol

Mermaid Lorelei
11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Durn. Oh well. What about Naida and Mimi?

Mermaid Oshun
11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
I am getting green and blue with some silver similar to this one of Raven's but mostly this green for you and just a little of this silver.

Kumori Kitsune
11-07-2013, 03:04 PM
blue and light pink maybe a bit of sea foam green in a Betta tail would look really kool.

SeaGlass Siren
11-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Oh oh what about a lobster tail? :0 I only just thought of this possibility now

MermaidSabrina
11-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I Have a large collection of saved fish pictures and links and I thought these would suit you raina :D

http://mernetwork.com/index/webkit-fake-url://29CD8FA7-091B-4BC6-87C2-78EE401B49FB/imagejpeg

http://mernetwork.com/index/webkit-fake-url://870D574B-45A3-4767-BFA2-C65AD9AD5889/imagejpeg

http://wakpaper.com/id92477/colorful-fish-desktop-wallpapers-and-stock-photos-1280x960-pixel.html

Mermaid Danielle
11-15-2013, 06:20 PM
I think you would look beautiful in a green tail.

If I were you I would totally have Raven design your tail. She's such an amazing artist. I bet she would make just the right tail for you!

I definitely agree with this! I'm sure whatever she would come up with would be absolutely amazing!