PDA

View Full Version : Your First Mer DIY Project?

MermaidRanoria
11-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Right now I am writing down the list of supplies I need to make my first tail. I began to think about what item(s) I should make first to familiarize myself with using silicone and the molding process. This thought got me to thinking... What was your first project? Did you jump strait into the tail making process, or did you start out with something a bit more manageable? Was the project even mermaid related?

For those of you that swim in fabric tails, started out in fabric tails, or to those that have bought your tails - What as your first mer DIY project in general?

Don't be shy to show off those first time DIY project photos. I think it would be a great inspiration to those of us who are just starting out and are a bit intimidated! I can't wait to see what you guys came up with!

JamesGunnels
11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Hey! It's great to see someone so close to Austin :D I have made a few tails myself, but they were more for just shits and giggles. I am going to be making a mermaid tail for an underwater photo shoot here pretty soon. I was basically going to mold a full silicone fluke and use neoprene for the tail and use a silicone paint on the neoprene...I am definitely going to screw up a time or two, I am assuming so at least. The first tail I ever made was out of an old sheet *lol* My grandmother had helped me make it. She added the zipper and made the fluke to fit the swim fins. Are you trying a full silicone tail or mixing up the materials?

MermaidRanoria
11-09-2013, 11:53 PM
I think I'd like to do the full silicone tail method, but then again this depends on how much success I have with my first smaller projects. I'm craft savvy but I'm no genius artist to say the least. You are much braver than I! I don't think I could start out with doing a fluke. I love jumping into projects, but I know my horrible perfectionism will kick in and I'll be unhappy with the end result. This is why I am going to try to do some arm covers or ear/head fins to start with. Good luck on your hybrid tail. I bet it will turn out wonderful. Make sure to post pics of your photo shoot as well.

JamesGunnels
11-10-2013, 12:01 AM
I've already drawn a very concepts for it and I painted a kind of idea for the scales...but now I feel like I want to change the colours. I uploaded them to my profile if you want to check them out. The ideas aren't so wonderful...kind of basic...but if ya wanna use them or whatever, feel free. I am hoping that the hybrid tail is a success, because I'd like to be able to provide realistic tails for those who cannot afford a full silicone tail...but I don't think I'd be able to have such a wonderful business from the get go as I am kind of a klutz, and I'd mess up so much in the beginning and I don't feel like invoking the wrath of the Mer-Community lol

Seatan
11-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Fabric flukes are pretty easy. I had some minor problems because I made my fluke out of a different fabric than the body and had to sew it on--I pinned it lopsided and it's not sewn perfectly--but if you make it all out of one fabric then it's SUPER easy (if you have a sewing machine.) Just trace your body then trace your monofin, tape them together, then cut two of those shapes out of the fabric. Right sides together, sewn down both sides. Add Velcro where the monofin slips in. Finish waist. Tada! Ye have a tail! :)

JamesGunnels
11-10-2013, 12:12 AM
I think I have used that method so many times that I am driving myself insane with the consistency. I am so ready for a new challenge :D sadly, I also am not a huge fan of fabric tails, but I am quite impressed by the imagination and design that so many members in this forum have and have done so many thing I would never have thought of.

MermaidRanoria
11-10-2013, 12:27 AM
I've already drawn a very concepts for it and I painted a kind of idea for the scales...but now I feel like I want to change the colours. I uploaded them to my profile if you want to check them out. The ideas aren't so wonderful...kind of basic...but if ya wanna use them or whatever, feel free. I am hoping that the hybrid tail is a success, because I'd like to be able to provide realistic tails for those who cannot afford a full silicone tail...but I don't think I'd be able to have such a wonderful business from the get go as I am kind of a klutz, and I'd mess up so much in the beginning and I don't feel like invoking the wrath of the Mer-Community lol
I really like your fluke design with the holes. Your other full design with the circular areas reminds me of futuristic armor. I think both designs are pretty rad all around.

Just trace your body then trace your monofin, tape them together, then cut two of those shapes out of the fabric. Right sides together, sewn down both sides. Add Velcro where the monofin slips in. Finish waist. Tada! Ye have a tail! :)
When you put it that way it makes me think I could do this wearing a blind fold, with my hands tied behind my back, while standing on one foot! haha Do you have any early non tail DIY projects to share with us Seavanna?

I think I have used that method so many times that I am driving myself insane with the consistency. I am so ready for a new challenge :D sadly, I also am not a huge fan of fabric tails, but I am quite impressed by the imagination and design that so many members in this forum have and have done so many thing I would never have thought of.
I hear you about challenging and pushing yourself. I'm the same way. Once I cap on a skill I sometimes I start getting disinterested unless I start pushing myself to try harder techniques. Like everything practice makes perfect.

JamesGunnels
11-10-2013, 12:31 AM
I really like your fluke design with the holes. Your other full design with the circular areas reminds me of futuristic armor. I think both designs are pretty rad all around.

When you put it that way it makes me think I could do this wearing a blind fold, with my hands tied behind my back, while standing on one foot! haha Do you have any early non tail DIY projects to share with us Seavanna?

I hear you about challenging and pushing yourself. I'm the same way. Once I cap on a skill I sometimes I start getting disinterested unless I start pushing myself to try harder techniques. Like everything practice makes perfect.

I find that if I try to hard to do something I never end up finishing it. I suppose that is my undoing...I am such a protectionist that I never finish anything. I am happy you like the drawings. I am not sure how I want to do it still...there are so many ideas in my head that just trying to pull one out is hard enough. I get a lot of inspiration from everyone in the community.

Ashe
11-10-2013, 12:39 AM
I totally jumped straight to making a tail! Neoprene as well, so I was really proud when it was finished. I did have a Magictail before though, so I wasn't completely new to tails and things, so that was a pretty good reference. But other than that - I had no idea there was MerNetwork at the time - I was pretty much winging it all besides a video that explained measuring for a tail. The finished tail ended up great! I painted it and it lasted me a good few years, which is nice for a neoprene tail. I've made other tails, but some of my other mer diy's include hair clips and belts :)

Winged Mermaid
11-10-2013, 01:47 AM
My first DIY project was my first shell bra. I was so super anxious it took me weeks to actually get started on it!

Seatan
11-10-2013, 02:29 AM

LOL, I just mean that it's a pretty simple project, much like sewing a pencil skirt. Stretchy material leaves room for much error! I have also made a goggle masquerade mask and some shell jewelry, but I am working myself up to a shell bra. I HATE glue, I always mess it up somehow, so using anything but hot glue makes me nervous. One thing I plan to make in the near future is a octopus "pal" to use for kids' swim parties. I plan to sew an octopus shell, put some sort of ball in the head, and fit the legs with pool noodles. That way if I want to rest in the middle of the pool I can sit on my buddy's leg! :)

sunrise
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
My first mer diy was my pink tail, which has been retired. My sister helped me to trace myself, and then I did all the sewing, in dark green thread that was as old as me. Needless to say, the seams ripped the first time in the water. I like to refer to the tail as my racing stripes tail. :) I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas specifically so I could make my tail.