PDA

View Full Version : Relationships in a awkward since

MermaidSaku
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, I'm kinda sorta in a new relationship with someone. It's been about 2-3 years since i have dated anyone specially in person lol. He's Chinese and lived in Japan with his family as a kid then they moved here to Houston, Texas. I can't help but point out just how different we are! Polar opposites with completely different ways of thinking and completely different cultures, and boy do i mean it! lol

Other than the obvious skin differences there is the style differences. I am a Gothic/Punk/alternitive/lolita/visual-kei/ and occasionally a k-pop kinda girl. And he's just your average guy who like to wear shorts and a polo Tee. Loolll Food differences as well. I don't eat pork and i have only had beef twice and usually never finish up..And he eats anything and everything. Also there is my mermaid thing and oh, don't forget my room lol. He also gives quizzes randomly when we cuddle or jsut sit holding hands.Which is weird and sorta stressing because most the answers i know but i just can't remember at the time cause i am thinking about him not what 7 x 12 is : / or who joe biden is... urgggghhh lol . I'm the type of girl that doesn't care about what the gov is doing. i wanted to leave america a long time ago probably as soon as they elected Obama.. no offence to Will Smiths ear twin. :'/
I guess, what i am trying to get at here is that i am really not used to having someone in my life i have grown very comfortable with of going through things in my life alone.
Examples from our first date: We went to a Chinese bakery i saw bread in the shape of a cute Crab. I picked it up and bought it myself. Or how about the Japanese store? I also bought all the cool Japanese stuff myself. I wouldn't know exactly if he was willing to buy anything for me or not,i guess because i am not the sort of girl that really cares. I'm used to going in stores and buying my own stuff even on dates because usually the guy doesn't want to spend any money on me in the first place lol. I also took the bus to meet him for our first date.. Crazy huh?
But, what is cool is he knows my room is covered in j-rock bands, basically a tone of asian guys cover my wall but he's fine with it and thinks it's cool. I dressed Gothic punk for our first date and he aid it was hot. He's heard me avoid his quizzes and tries to get me to answer anyway until i shut him up "another way", he knows i don't eat certain foods and he respects it even if he says it's weird lol, and he's extremely polite.

So I'm not going to run away (or in this case swim away) from him just yet. I'm waiting to see where things go i guess.

Most of the time i am just trying really hard to impress him. :/ i have no clue how though.

New York Mermaid
09-18-2011, 02:26 PM
. I wouldn't know exactly if he was willing to buy anything for me or not,i guess because i am not the sort of girl that really cares. I'm used to going in stores and buying my own stuff even on dates because usually the guy doesn't want to spend any money on me in the first place lol. I also took the bus to meet him for our first date.. Crazy huh?.

I have always told my husband when we were dating, I appreciate the little things, so anything you give me will always be cherished (which is true, from the stuffed dolphins to the very expensive wedding ring..lol) My hubby and i are total opposites, but we have some things in common, if your feeling uncomfortable about him quizzing you, you can change the subject or just tell him. Sometimes people dont realize things till you tell them (in a nice way of course "i love being with you and knowing you want to know alot about me, but please the quizzes make me uncomfortable") He seems to really like you.

I'll tell you one thing for me, it was a interesting experience I never dated anyone before my husband so it took a long time to get use to (took 8 months just to get comfortable and 2 years to really start dating after that we've been together for 14 years now and married going on 7 on sept 26th) Im the type of girl that hates sudden change, i get all wierded out by it,plus I like to do things on my own and I can understand where you coming from its someone new: there's new things to learn and get use to. Word of Advice: YOU DONT NEED TO IMPRESS ANYONE, BUT YOURSELF- he should like you for you! Your beautiful and smart and are interesting.

MermaidSaku
09-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Word of Advice: YOU DONT NEED TO IMPRESS ANYONE BUT YOURSELF- he should like you for you! Your beautiful and smart and are interesting.

your right..i guess i try so hard because he makes me nervous and bubbly. lol

New York Mermaid
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
lol they all make us feel like that :) its love .

HBMermaid_Angela
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree....you just need to be yourself! If you start changing for someone then it will only strain the relationship, and as "selfish" as it sounds...you need to make sure YOU are happy in the relationship and not the other person...well...I hope you know what I mean!

I'm very lucky because my husband and I are very much a like. WE love to surf, and do anything that is creepy (watch horror movies, go to haunted places). We both detest the same kinds of food, etc. But, at the same time, he is not interested in being a Mer anytime soon! LOL!

I wish you the best of luck! Relationships have their "downs" but if it's the right relationship, the "Up's" totally make up for them!

Dremazzi
10-31-2023, 08:42 AM
Navigating awkward moments in relationships can be challenging. I've been on my own for a while and understand how tricky it can be. If you're looking for a potential partner, dating apps like https://www.sofiadate.com/ could be a good option. I've personally found someone through this app after being single for quite a long time. However, in relationships, it's essential to communicate openly, understand each other, and give space for things to evolve naturally. Remember, awkwardness is often a part of the journey, but it can also lead to growth and deeper connections.

fred_lee
12-17-2023, 07:52 AM
Greetings to all! I’ll raise the issue of online dating platforms. Which ones do you think provide the best experience? I'm interested to know what features and tools on platforms are considered important for dating success. What strategies have you or your friends used to find suitable matches? Are there any features that you would like to highlight in a positive or negative way? I would appreciate your experience and advice on choosing and using online dating platforms!

AbnerHoward
12-17-2023, 10:20 AM
I had an incredible love story in which the dating site https://www.dating.com/ played a key role. I didn't have high hopes that online communication could become the basis for a serious relationship. Starting with a simple exchange of messages, we gradually realized that our convergence was not a coincidence. Today we are a happy couple who are grateful to this site for the chance of real happiness. I advise this site, as I was convinced of its safety and effectiveness.