PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

Lotus
09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
SO,
I wonder what would happen if you put a layer of clear silicone over sequin scales sewn onto neoprene? I realize this could be the most time consuming thing I may ever do and it may fail epically, however...
I'm curious, so I'm doing a little swatch experiment. Thoughts?

Mermaid Lorelei
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
It sounds like an interesting idea if you could make it work, but I've also heard that silicone doesn't like to stick to certain things, like neoprene.

AniaR
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
it sounds... messy :D lol. Im not sure it would work being that textured... or how you'd even spread it easily. but do try a swatch!

Lotus
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
@AniaR... not too sure how this will work either, and yes, it's gonna be HELLA MESSY.... when I told my husband my idea he stifled a laugh and said "um, good luck,"
I guess we will see. I cut out a patch of neoprene and am sewing on the sequins now.

Blaze
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Would love to see how this looks! Heh, your husband sounds like mine; resigned to the mess that will be created in never-ending search for sparkliness! ;D

Winged Mermaid
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Keep in mind that the coating is going to "dim down" the flash of the sequins, probably by quite a lot. Also unless you want to dish out the big bucks for the clear latex (usual latex is not clear), you're going to have to use something like ALEX or GE Silicone. Silicone (platinum cure, not a tin cure concoction like caulking) will not stick to neoprene. It may even keep the silicone from curing. Really no matter what you use, the sharp sequins in the material will probably damage it significantly causing the material to cut and/or peel off. That's how I see this ending in my head, but ya know what- a swatch test never hurts! Good luck!

OrcaMatt
09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
ya know what- a swatch test never hurts! Good luck!For science!

MermaidAubrin
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind that the coating is going to "dim down" the flash of the sequins, probably by quite a lot. Also unless you want to dish out the big bucks for the clear latex (usual latex is not clear), you're going to have to use something like ALEX or GE Silicone. Silicone (platinum cure, not a tin cure concoction like caulking) will not stick to neoprene. It may even keep the silicone from curing. Really no matter what you use, the sharp sequins in the material will probably damage it significantly causing the material to cut and/or peel off. That's how I see this ending in my head, but ya know what- a swatch test never hurts! Good luck! for the less shiney factor you could a some super fine shimmer to it

Lotus
09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
'Yeah, something tells me this is gonna be one HUGE effing mess, but I just have to satisfy my curiosity. As OrcaMatt said, "for science"! and stuff. or something.... hell, I don't know, but I'll post pictures of the madness. ;)

Mermaid Photine
09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Perhaps, if this does not work as planned, try mixing some metallic pigments (it's this powder stuff I find at every craft store... the name escapes me but they are sold in inkwell-sized bottles) with the silicone? Maybe just over the top? I wish I had proper experience to help you out with your current idea.

Mermaid Lorelei
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I think you're talking about Pearl Ex Pigments?

Lotus
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Oh, thanks Pandorah, it's ok- I don't have any experience either! That's why I'm doing this. It's my outlet. ;)

Lotus
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, my first test swatch was stolen by gnomes... but I'm going to do another swatch because the first time around it totally worked. Can't wait to show you

Mermaid Allie
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Haha those damn gnomes! They like to take my cell phone. I'm very excited to see how this turns out!