PDA

View Full Version : I forget how to swim... Sort of

MermaidAubrin
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
So I have made my first tail and I love swimming with it and even though there isn't a real mono fin in it I am a lot faster, I was swimming in it last night and I wasn't having any problems and it felt very natural and when I took it of I found it difficult to swim and I felt very powerless without the tail. So my question is does this happen to any of yall? How do you get used to it? I hope this isn't only me :P

Odette
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
oh all the time. i like to swim with it on and off so it is a huge difference to me. i feel like an eggbeater. lol

Winged Mermaid
09-20-2011, 05:01 AM
"Powerless" is a good word for it. After I take the tail off having legs seems just strange! First time I did it when I had been swimming in my tail for a few hours, I wondered to myself if this is how awkward Ariel felt getting legs. Ever since I got my first tail.. heck nearly 4 years ago, I haven't been swimming without a tail. I take it off when I'm about to get out, and I may wade around a few minutes without it, but that's about it. If I decide to stay in longer I end up deciding to put the tail back on :P It has spoiled me for sure! It's so much more natural to me, and easier, and more fun! You think that's trippy, try swimming in a tail for a long time, then taking it off and doing a dolphin kick without it. You may end feeling like a snail- working so hard and hardly getting anywhere from what you're use to!

AniaR
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
oh yes. lol

MermaidAubrin
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Ok I was hopeing it wasn't just me

Spindrift
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
When I was snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef with regular fins, I kept on getting foot cramps. I also felt extremely awkward and kept telling people "I swear I'm better with a monofin!", even though they said I was doing fine.

MermaidAubrin
09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
When I was snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef with regular fins, I kept on getting foot cramps. I also felt extremely awkward and kept telling people "I swear I'm better with a monofin!", even though they said I was doing fine. I really don't like regular fins they hurt my feet and ankles but I love my monofin the first time I swam in it I bangEd my chin on the end of the pool beacause I was going faster than normal so I didn't know the end of the pool was there

happyguava
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Hahah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! Yes, I'm exactly the same. Haven't swum without a tail or monofin in aaaaages, and at the end of training when the tail comes off I feel like a dog who fell into the water and is frantically struggling to swim!! Hehe, kinda destroys the gracefulness I was displaying 30 seconds earlier :P

Mermaid Photine
09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I usually swim with dolphin kick, but after using my monofin this summer, I didn't want to swim without it. I was so much faster and more natural with the fin that with just feet in the dolphin kick alone. My line (figure skating word for the angles your spine has from head to toepick) felt wrong swimming without the extra two feet or so after my ankles. I ended up swimming it pretty much every time I went to the pool unless the previous time's swim's blisters hadn't healed yet. I love my monofin! ^_^

Mermaid Hamant
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
This totally happens to me also! I hate swimming without either my tail or monofin... sometimes I do for a change of pace but I always feel so slow. lol

Syrenia
09-20-2011, 09:27 PM
All the time darling. I almost never swim without my tail on, and when I don't have it on, I keep my legs together as if I WAS swimming with it! I've always swam like that, even when I was little, and I have a hard time swimming any other way. You'd probably think I couldn't swim unless I was in a tail. Teehee!

MermaidAubrin
09-21-2011, 01:00 PM
All the time darling. I almost never swim without my tail on, and when I don't have it on, I keep my legs together as if I WAS swimming with it! I've always swam like that, even when I was little, and I have a hard time swimming any other way. You'd probably think I couldn't swim unless I was in a tail. Teehee! beacause of the lack of awsomeness without the tail i now only swim with a tail or monofin :P

Mermaid Miel
11-20-2011, 05:31 AM
it's the same with just the monofin. Swimming with one is like flying underwater... Fast and almost effortless. Swimming without one... I'm sure that snails are faster. XP

Aradia
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I feel really naked when I take the monofin off, like i'm taking off my pants in a public shopping center. Personally when I dive I use tech method frog kicking so when i'm in regular fins the strong propulsion is the same but when I swim without fins I feel like a helpless little puppy :$

Mermaid Saphira
11-20-2011, 08:55 AM
absolutely...100%!

Azurin Luna
12-30-2011, 06:47 AM
I always swam like a dolphin, with or without fins. If I have so swim regular I'm so slow, I can't even do a crawl to safe my life. I was also more underwater then at the surface... that's why I nearly didn't get my swimming diploma's at school.

When I was a small kid my father always said, it's a wonder you haven't drank the pool dry yet, cause you are more underwater then floating around.

Capt Nemo
12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Swimming without fins sucks! Worse is swimming with just wetsuit boots on, feels like the water just goes around your feet instead of being pushed by it.

gypsymer
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Swimming without fins sucks! Worse is swimming with just wetsuit boots on, feels like the water just goes around your feet instead of being pushed by it.

hahaha SO TRUE!

I adore swimming in my monofin or in my tails! When I take it off I definitely get that slow and naked feeling. I swim with a frog kick and no arms, even back when I was young at summer camp they were surprised during the swim test when I didn't use my arms. We had to swim 25' underwater. Piece of cake, though now it feels slightly strange.

Mermaid Saphira
01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Now that I have started swimming in my tail, I can't swim with out it! I feel sooo slow without it on LOL :D

SireniaSolaris
01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I agree with feeling so slow tailless.

lol, at my last photoshoot, my photographer, Kayla, asked me to go to the far end of the pool, and she was amazed at how quickly one gets there with the fin. Good monofins = <3

Gem Stone
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
When I take off my tail, I can't seem to go underwater. Walking feels weird and I get this extremely 'light' feeling in my body. Plus I swim so much faster with my tail on that without it I feel like I don't go anywhere!
Once I raved my friend who's on swim team and number one on her team and I beat her in my tail! I was like, haha, told you! She got mad but was then in awe that a tail could allow me to swim so quickly.

Mermaid Photine
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
@Gemstone,
And then you get the Concerned Adults who want to know how you can possibly not drown with your legs bound together. xD

Am I the only one who secretly races the other people in the lap lanes, ie starts swimming at the same time as them to see how fast you can be? It's so fun!

Kanti
03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
It's just like when you jump on a trampoline too much and when you get off you feel sad that you can't jump
as high anymore xD

Mermaid Photine
05-12-2012, 09:38 PM
I wonder why they don't allow them. Is it because they get in the way of other swimmers? I really try my best to be courteous when I have my fin and when I don't to check around me while and minimize colliding with an unsuspecting human. :)

Sitre Seer Moroaica
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
If I wear my tail too long I feel like Ariel lol All I do is stumble and I fall all over the place until I feel comfortable again :P With the tail in Water I do get very used to it but normally I dont really swim. I just of just float and relax etc.