PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm going to be away for a bit" announcement thread

AniaR
11-15-2013, 05:23 PM
So, I had tried this idea before, and it hadn't caught on. I've done this on other forums. Here is a thread where you can post if you arent planning on being on the forum for a while. That way when people are trying to get ahold of you or waiting for you to reply in a thread and you aren't, they can come check, and low-and-behold they see you're away :)

And I'm actually going to start it off!

You know me, I am addicted to the forum. But real life is getting crazy so I need to pay better attention to it. A very close family member is going through some health stuff, I'm going through some health stuff, and business stuff is just insane. But every time in the past when I've taken an extended break on here it's usually drama related haha so I just wanted to quell the rumours before they get going ;) Feel free to message me on my facebook page but please know I don't have time to give out advice or help right now. I've posted lots of great threads here you can check out. <3

Peace!

Mermaid Lorelei
11-15-2013, 05:25 PM
:> Have a lovely break dear.

Merman Arion
11-15-2013, 05:40 PM
We are going to miss you (A LOT) here, Raina... :sad eyes:

Have a nice break and come back soon. :hug:

Mermaid Danielle
11-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Have a nice break! Hope everything works out well!

Anahita
11-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Good luck on your break Raina!

Fun123joker
11-15-2013, 07:06 PM
oh no guys you dont understad. she going to go out there and get a life! like wow thats a big comitment first you get a life and then start talking to people and and and omg i cant watch! (i bet you i sounded like a troll here didnt i? if i did sorry! didnt mean to sound mean! anyway make sure you write back now!)

MerAnthony
11-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Everybody needs a rest every now an then.:meditation:

Echidna
11-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Arrgg, health stuff :/

Wish you all the best.

Mermaid Kassandra
11-16-2013, 01:58 PM
We will really miss you!have a nice rest!

Kumori Kitsune
11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
hppe things get better ive been in and out of the doctors too. Hope your family is alright.

AniaR
12-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Hey folks! I thought I'd check in, I've had a few people send me emails etc to see how I'm doing :)

My family member who was in the hospital is doing much better and is home for christmas pending follow up treatment which is REALLY great. It got pretty dicey there and this is a very close family member, so I'm thankful things are looking up for them.

I however have traded them places and had my own hospital stay :p my health has sort of been all over and there were a few serious complications with my conditions which made me really anxious about NCmerfest. Anyway, I got out yesterday after a brief trip, and I'm all clear for travelling but I'll be having a surgery (much needed) when I get back.

My mermaid stuff has been insanely busy, and I havent had much chance to post anything on my page. Doing a lot of private gigs that don't have photo permission so sadly not much I can share.

Christmas is around the corner and our family is super busy (big blended family!) and then travelling to NC. I can't wait to see everyone in NC it's going to be amazing :)

Thanks to those of you who have been respecting my boundaries and giving me some space. I know I try to be helpful in the community and giv eout info etc but sometimes people have a hard time realize I am not available 24/7 for every issue under the sun :p I'm working on my second book too and i'm really hopeful it'll continue to help people like my first one :)

So thanks for all the lover and support and patience. Miss you all! xxoo

MermaidBrittany
12-22-2013, 02:25 AM
So ermm hello again? But I didnt really say goodbye?
I Just got done with my first quarter of college! Busiest time of my life! Graduated from HS, packed up my life and started college. It was really great, met all sorts of new people and got pretty involved! Even play Quidditch and went to a yule ball :D Sadly, no mermaid activities :( 'Cept I did don a wetsuit and go freediving with my competitor in the lake! But now that the rush of the first quarter is settling down I comin back! And trying to catch up on everything I have missed!

Mermaid Lorelei
02-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone. I know I don't post a whole lot, but I still wanted to let you know that I'll be taking a break. I don't really know when I'll be back.
Toodles.

Mermaid Adriel
02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
going away from 13th to Idunno.

MermaidMyrthe
02-10-2014, 01:18 PM
I am going away 14th february until 23th february. See ya later!

malinghi
02-10-2014, 04:16 PM
See you when you get back.

Anahita
02-11-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm guessing I'll be gone the 13th-24th. My fiance got his visa approved, so he'll be visiting me (OMGYAY!) and on top of that, we have few historical events we're supposed to be featured in. So, I'll be spending all my time either with him, or with my sewing machine in preparation. Lol

PearlieMae
02-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Hope everything is going swimmingly!

Mermaid Adriel
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
away from 15th to 25th of march
I can stay here but not for long

drucilla
07-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Sorry I've been away a lot and without warning. Just a bunch of computer troubles.

NerineArcticMermaid
08-23-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm going away indefinitely. I dunno if I'll come back or not. Tired of double standards.

Merman Arion
08-23-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm going away indefinitely. I dunno if I'll come back or not. Tired of double standards.

Oh come on, Nerine... If this is about Raina's thread with the merverts, this is ridiculous :doh:

Echidna
08-23-2014, 05:47 PM
actually, I can see where she's coming from.
Sometimes, it does give the impression double standards do exist.

However, in this case, I wouldn't say so.
The 2 threads are very different.
While done with good intentions, the first thread was basically only a name-calling list.

The second is more of a general guide, and the official complaints list is backed up with info, witnesses, reports of many people, and not just a name thrown in.

Kishiko
08-23-2014, 05:55 PM
actually, I can see where she's coming from.
Sometimes, it does give the impression double standards do exist.

However, in this case, I wouldn't say so.
The 2 threads are very different.
While done with good intentions, the first thread was basically only a name-calling list.

The second is more of a general guide, and the official complaints list is backed up with info, witnesses, reports of many people, and not just a name thrown in.

On the other hand, I do think that's what nerine was striving for in hers. I think the thread kind of got derailed with "don't name call" and what not.

NerineArcticMermaid
08-23-2014, 05:59 PM
this is why I'm leaving.

Starfrit
08-23-2014, 06:28 PM
While I see both sides of the argument, I can absolutely understand why Nerine's original thread from May 2013 was shot down. Hell, even now, "call-out" posts like the latest one along with the ensuing discussion threads can be really tricky to maintain— even if the lists did include evidence to back up the claims, if someone featured on the list were to come across it and get offended, they could go to MerNetwork's web host, vBulletin, and complain about harassment. If enough similar complaints about the site get filed, it can cause major problems and, if things were to escalate enough, vBulletin could shut the site down and there could be a lot of trouble in regards to libel, defamation of character, etc.. This is why warning posts like the Merverts list need to be really heavily regulated and strictly moderated.

Nerine, your original thread wasn't nearly so regulated and could very easily have devolved into drama and problems for the moderators, so I can understand why people were hesitant about it. It's been over a year since you made that thread and it's only now that someone's decided to try a safer, stricter route with it. I think you're overreacting and kind of need to just... Let it go, to be honest.

It's not a "double-standard" when it took over a year for someone else to try a similar idea and actually attempt to execute it with higher standards than you offered in the first place.

It's unfortunate that you feel that you have to leave over something so trivial as a similar thread topic.

Merman Arion
08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
I think you're overreacting and kind of need to just... Let it go, to be honest.

It's not a "double-standard" when it took over a year for someone else to try a similar idea and actually attempt to execute it with higher standards than you offered in the first place.

It's unfortunate that you feel that you have to leave over something so trivial as a similar thread topic.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you Tieri!
Seriously, Nerine, you should stay. This is really silly to leave just for that.

AniaR
08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Sorry you feel that way nerine.

Winged Mermaid
08-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Honestly I'm still not sure I like a thread essentially blacklisting people, but admittedly it has become a much bigger issue in the past year (lost of issues with minors especially). Really the only reason I'm giving it a chance is because Raina laid out a strict policy and specific layouts for said policy. The biggest part is that proof needs to be provided, where as before my biggest complaint with your thread was that there was no proof that anyone was posting. As I've said in a lot of other threads, I can't stand behind he-said-she-said type info. I'm sorry you feel as if this is somehow a double standard. You had a good idea, it just wasn't quite developed enough to avoid the wrong kind of implications.

AniaR
08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Honestly I couldn't remember who made the original posting and it didn't show up when I searched because of the hyphen. I assumed whoever made it would bring it up eventually and I would have been happy to reference it just wasn't expecting attitude . its not like I've ever gone around taking credit for other people's hard work I find it pretty insulting honestly. But oh well

NerineArcticMermaid
08-23-2014, 11:37 PM
My last response. I'm rather offended that I'm being attacked essentially because I feel like I need a break. My reasons are my own. My feelings are my own. This is not the only reason for my hiatus. I do not have to explain. your responses only reafirm my desire to leave this forum for an indeterminate period of time.

Starfrit
08-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Honestly I'm still not sure I like a thread essentially blacklisting people, but admittedly it has become a much bigger issue in the past year (lost of issues with minors especially). Really the only reason I'm giving it a chance is because Raina laid out a strict policy and specific layouts for said policy. The biggest part is that proof needs to be provided, where as before my biggest complaint with your thread was that there was no proof that anyone was posting. As I've said in a lot of other threads, I can't stand behind he-said-she-said type info. I'm sorry you feel as if this is somehow a double standard. You had a good idea, it just wasn't quite developed enough to avoid the wrong kind of implications.

This is sort of the issue I have with it as well-- While I do feel that at this point, a list of common offenders/troublemakers/potential predators in the mer-community would be extremely helpful, there's a risk of people coming in, throwing around accusations without proof and things escalating and causing a lot more trouble than it's honestly worth.

For example: I follow a community on LiveJournal called Artists_Beware (http://artists-beware.livejournal.com/) that basically acts as a list for problematic artists and commissioners. It's a beautifully-run community (though the mod team has to work very hard to keep it that way, and they do a hell of a job of it) where people can talk about their experiences with certain people. One of their biggest rules in the comm is basically the "Look But Don't Touch" rule-- unless you are personally involved with the transaction, you keep your commentary to the LiveJournal post. You don't go to their page and start sticking your nose in to cause trouble, or try to bait them into coming into the LJ post, no trolling, flaming, namecalling, whatever (and the mods don't allow any of that in the LJ post itself, either; they expect everyone to stay perfectly civil and, for the most part, professional). Otherwise, that can be considered harassment and the person can go to LJ, complain, and get the community shut down completely, as LJ has a very strict no-harassment policy (and I imagine vBulletin has the same).

My biggest concern is what sort of actions having a "Merverts" list will have on the people featured-- yes, the point of the list is to warn people so they can be avoided altogether, but there's nothing really in place to ensure that people don't go through the list and decide to follow them over to Facebook and start baiting/trolling/harassing them, calling them pedophiles and sexual predators, etc. Even if someone featured on the list and approached someone, and the person they approached went "No you're a pervert, I read all about you on that Mernetwork thread, you're such a *&@#'ing creep, blah blah blah," that can come back on MN.

That said, it's not a bad idea. It's just one that needs to be very heavily moderated and very carefully handled, because I can guarantee you, as time goes on there's going to be people who see their name on the list, freak out, and start threatening legal action, hassling vBulletin administration to shut the whole site down, the works, and when that happens the person/people in charge of the list need to be able to stay chill and professional when things get insanely heated to keep things under control.

I apologize if I'm rambling and if this is getting super off-topic for this thread. I am hella sleep deprived and have a lot of feelings on things like this. D:

My last response. I'm rather offended that I'm being attacked essentially because I feel like I need a break. My reasons are my own. My feelings are my own. This is not the only reason for my hiatus. I do not have to explain. your responses only reafirm my desire to leave this forum for an indeterminate period of time.

Nerine, nobody is attacking you. You posted a vague and passive-aggressive "Sick of the double standards!1" leaving post right after getting upset about Raina "taking" your idea of a Beware-Of-Merverts thread. Nobody is expecting you to list every single reason you have for leaving in detail, but are you really going to get this upset that people made assumptions?

AniaR
08-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Tieri you make awesome points I tried to address in my post but know I can't do it all. Having been around for so long I think I have a good feel for how people in the Mer community handle stuff. I also researched the hell out of libel and slander laws in terms of how we use the forum previously because a certain tail maker was always trying to legally go after us and because Iona and I enforced certain things he couldn't.we actually built mernetwork to give us more legal freedom and somewhere in the archives is an info post about avoiding libel but still telling truth.

So far I feel the thread is fine because of the standard set. No one could legally do a thing with what has been posted and I intend and I'm sure Iona, to keep it that way. ;) we have a lot of experience in it now :)

Starfrit
08-24-2014, 12:09 PM
And, see, that I can totally get behind. I feel more comfortable with the list being handled by people like you and Iona, because you guys know your stuff, have done the research, have experience with this sort of thing, yadda-yadda. If it were almost anybody else on the forum, I'd be a lot more nervous about it. :P

Jonny
08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Please please please don't leave, what happens if there is a question which only YOU know the answer too. Also if you leave that is one less Merperson who I can ask about my tail. Also you are a senior member which means you've been here for ages, so just think of putting all that time to waste. Your like a mermaid leaving Atlantica you won't be able to talk to many people about merpeople problems.

AniaR
08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
who are you lol?

Raayvhen
08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Merman Arion
08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
oh boy

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/142/951/235lp0.gif

Echidna
08-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Also you are a senior member which means you've been here for ages

Anyone who exceeds a certain number of posts is called senior member.
It has nothing to do with join date.
That's the case in lots of forums btw.

also;

who are you lol?
and

My thoughts exactly.

PearlieMae
08-25-2014, 03:10 PM
oh boy

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/142/951/235lp0.gif

snicker

Anahita
08-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Woah Lordy....

I feel like I already saw this coming....

Winged Mermaid
09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Personal emergency. Will be dropping off the internet for a week, possibly longer. Dropping all etsy orders. I won't be checking my email or messages. If you have any MerNetwork issues that need tending to, message/email Malinghi directly or use the mernetwork@gmail.com email. Thanks for understanding.

PearlieMae
09-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Hope everything is alright, hun! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Neri Elvina
09-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Hope everything is ok, Iona. :mermaid kiss:

Ariel-Starfish
09-12-2014, 02:55 PM
:cry: All the best Iona!

Mermaid Adriel
09-12-2014, 03:12 PM
I hope it's nothing bad... *bubble kisses*

SeaGlass Siren
09-12-2014, 04:42 PM
oh gosh gl iona!

Merman Arion
09-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Hi guys.
I have decided to take a break from here so this is my last post.
I just feel like it's time that I step back and think about me and my recent actions. People think I'm a good guy but sometimes I make mistakes and I disappoint them. It has been more than a year since I registered here and - let's be honest - I haven't been always the perfect member. I know that sometimes I did some things wrong and I always apologized when I understood I crossed a line. It's not easy when English isn't your language but I always do my best.

Thanks to you all for supporting me since day 1. I grew up a lot and learned many things.
I will be back but I don't know when.

Keep on swimming :mermaid kiss:

~ Arion

AniaR
09-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Sometimes I take breaks too Arion for the exact same reasons! Us passionate types sometimes need to step back and collect ourselves. There is no shame in it. <3

Yulia
09-20-2014, 01:34 PM
We'll miss you! <3

Mermaid Galene
09-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Take care of yourself, Arion! Hope you'll be back soon.

Kishiko
09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Awh we will miss you! Much love from the other side of the pond :mermaid kiss:

MermanOliver
09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Take care. We will definitely miss you. Hope you won't be away too long.
Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Mermaid Neri Elvina
09-21-2014, 06:50 AM
We will miss you a lot, Arion! Take care and hope to see you back here soon!

AniaR
12-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Some really awesome stuff just happened along with some silly stuff lol I actually went 2 days without being on mernetwork and you all left me a good 4 PAGES of unread posts! Yegads! I tried to catch up in a bit of spare time tonight but it's not happening, and I have some PM in my inbox I don't have time for atm either. So I AM NOT IGNORING ANYONE but It'll probably be a week or so before I get back to anyone. I have trouble accessing tapatalk since the latest droid update so it's hard to check forum on the go. but you can message me on my Raina page!! <3

Mermaid Lorelei
12-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone. I've decided it's time to step back from mernetwork for awhile. I can be reached through my Facebook page if you need me for any reason.
Tata.

Keiris
12-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Hey everyone. I've decided it's time to step back from mernetwork for awhile. I can be reached through my Facebook page if you need me for any reason.
Tata.

I will miss you Lorelei.:(

SeaGlass Siren
02-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Hey guys something came up. Personal emergency. Won't be online for a while.
See you all soon!

Adalira
02-10-2016, 01:51 PM

Mermaid Neri Elvina
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Adalira so sorry to hear that :(

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

Grey Gambit
02-27-2016, 11:02 AM
University has been keeping me really busy, so I probably won't be around that often for now.

Seraphina Suds
08-29-2016, 01:35 PM
I've been thinking of taking a break from the forum for a while. I'm tired of logging in and seeing nothing but the "bitch it out" thread. I've been in a mermaiding funk all summer and I just received some bad news about my new tail this morning. Or rather, I won't be getting a new tail. So that was kind of the final nail in the coffin. I'm going to be deleting the Tapatalk app, but if anyone needs me for some reason, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr. I think if I get a PM on here it'll show up in my email as well. See you around!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
08-29-2016, 04:42 PM
I've been thinking of taking a break from the forum for a while. I'm tired of logging in and seeing nothing but the "bitch it out" thread. I've been in a mermaiding funk all summer and I just received some bad news about my new tail this morning. Or rather, I won't be getting a new tail. So that was kind of the final nail in the coffin. I'm going to be deleting the Tapatalk app, but if anyone needs me for some reason, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr. I think if I get a PM on here it'll show up in my email as well. See you around!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I hear ya...you know where to find me, yes? :hug:

Seraphina Suds
08-29-2016, 06:48 PM
I hear ya...you know where to find me, yes? :hug:
Absolutely 💙

Mermaid Whisper
08-30-2016, 10:33 AM
[emoji92]