PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Ariel?

Nyx
11-17-2013, 12:07 PM
My next project will possibly be a realistic Ariel tail made of neoprene, and as always I would love to base it off an actual fish! Problem here is . . . I don't know any species of green fish. So far the only ones I know of are the blue green Chromis and possibly the mahi-mahi (but that's more yellow than green). Do any of you lovely mers know any species of green fish??

Toxotes
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, in my opinion you can either make a good-looking, near-to-disney's-Arielle tail, or resemble a certain fish. Because Ariel had no certain fish as pattern. She and her sisters all have just plain colored tails with different colors each. Both options can result in a beautiful tail. Just my opinion.

But guppys (poecilia reticulata) exist in almost every color. Maybe that's something you are looking for:
http://www.zierfischhandel.de/contents/media/l_poecilia_reticulata_metalic_blue_guppy_blau_meta llic_1.png

Nyx
11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh wow that's beautiful! Thank you! I'm more or less trying to find patterns in nature to base off of. I personally think that I can't get a tail design to look right unless I use some references.

Toxotes
11-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes. That's the problem with Ariel's tail in general.
That split tailfin and that seam at the waistline don't look natural to me.

MermanTyphoon
11-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Hey Partner In Crime! What about this!?

Nyx
11-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes. That's the problem with Ariel's tail in general.
That split tailfin and that seam at the waistline don't look natural to me.
Yeah that's gonna be a challenge to make natural looking.

Hey Partner In Crime! What about this!?
WOHOO I LOVE IT. AND THE FINS ARE AWESOME. Thank you Typhoon!

MermanTyphoon
11-17-2013, 07:34 PM
HAHA WHAT ARE FRIENDS FORRRR!

Yulia
11-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Nyx, you're on 9gag!

http://9gag.com/gag/aypqyzq

Nyx
11-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Wow I completely forgot I made this thread!
Well, as you can see I figured out how to make the tail XD
Thank you for the link Yulia!

PhaylennMurúch
11-18-2014, 11:56 PM
the color of Ariels tail itself is a custom blue/green mix created especially for the movie by the Disney creative team. Now it is available as 'Ariel Green'
this one is a fancy guppy, a Moscow Blue/Green

or maybe a Parrot Fish?

Nyx
11-19-2014, 03:31 PM
I ended up making her tail more vibrant green than blue-green. I already had a blue tail so I thought some variety would do me good. The repaint after the convention (which the photo in the link is from) is still in the works; I'm trying to add different colors in to it because you really can have TOO MUCH green. I'm hoping by the end it is gonna be a combination of greens blues yellows golds purples and hints of orange.
I like everything colorful, I really can't help it XD.

PhaylennMurúch
11-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Lmao I didn't even notice the dates, teach me to HIPPO a thread. Glad you ended up with something awesome