PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in Minnesota

Mermaid Meko
11-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey LAdies!

So while it seems like there isnt an official Pod for the MN area yet, I am goingo to try to help that get settled soon and in the mean time would love to know how many Mers there actually are in MN that are in this site?

If you are in MN, could you say hi and share where in MN you are?

I think we can include the Dakotas and part of WI as well, like on the POD map.
I would love for us to get a bit more organized and figure out where we are so we can start planning some meet ups! :)

So, to start:

Mermaid Meko, White Bear Lake, MN

teeth4u
11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm from Wisconsin and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here :( I would love to meet some more mermaids that live near by! I've been wanting to start a thread like this for a while.

Ayla of Duluth
11-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Duluth MN checking in, we're a rare breed.

MerGrrl
12-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Hey there,

I'm in Minneapolis!

Kuda de la Mer
01-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, I'm no mermaid, but I'm working at becoming a merman.. and I'm located in Wisconsin!

Mermaid Mika
03-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Hey yall - I'm a bit late to this thread, BUT I am in Minnesota AND Wisconsin! Checkin' in. ;)

Arella
03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I have family in Minnesota :)

Mermaid_pearl
03-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Rogers,MN here and reporting for duty.:D

MermanDan
03-23-2014, 11:05 PM
I am here in Eden Prairie and am looking to meet other mers to swim with.

Mermaid Mika
03-23-2014, 11:38 PM
yeah! we should maybe try and plan a pod meet'n'swim, eh?

Mermaid_pearl
03-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Yeah totally!

MermanDan
03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Is there a pool in the metro area that is mer friendly?

Mermaid Mika
03-24-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure, but I was thinking about looking into the Hudson YMCA cause it's kinda the in-between point for MN/WI...otherwise once summer comes I'm sure we could pick any number of lakes?

MermanDan
03-24-2014, 11:25 PM
I would be interested!

Kishiko
03-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Everyone on my dads side lives in Minnesota/Wisconsin. We visit a lot during the summer! (: most are I the st.paul/Minneapolis area and some of them live in Sommerset, WI (like 25-30 min away I think?)

MermanDan
03-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Sommerset isn't too far, how about a mer picnic?

Kishiko
03-25-2014, 09:26 AM
That would be so fun! I'll let you guys know next time were heading up that way(:

Mermaid Mika
04-03-2014, 02:13 AM
I'm still looking for merfriendly pools in the metro - any of yall know of any already?

MermanDan
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Haven't heard of any, but will let you know when I do!

Mermaid Mika
04-04-2014, 01:56 PM
SooOOOooo today so far I have called 35 different places through Roberts, River Falls, Hudson, Stillwater, and Saint Paul. Of those 7 have open swim/indoor pools - but only 3 seem merfriendly.

I plan on calling Bloomington, Mpls, etc. later today - but thought I'd share my findings so far.

Interestingly River Falls and a little bit of Stillwater were by far the nicest and most helpful people I've talked to. So kudos on them!!

Mermaid Galene
04-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Mika, which 3 pools sounded like good mer habitat in the TC Area? I was thinking of trying the New Richmond Area Centre's pool.

Mermaid Galene
04-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi, all,

I'm just getting into mermaiding as an extension of my performance career with Neptune's Keep (world's only fish plus humans band).

I live in Hudson, WI and would enjoy a TC Mer Meetup. I'm also looking for a good pool in the eastern metro.

Mermaid Mika
04-13-2014, 04:08 PM
So I have yet to try these places out - BUT having just talked with them these two were the friendliest, nicest, and most open to public swims and mermaid talk.

The Best Western in Riverfalls was the most friendly, followed closely by the Lexington in Stillwater - the manager Antonio was especially nice. Both places charge $5 unless you are a guest at the hotel and days vary on how packed the hotel is - so call before you go....and weekdays will probably work better.

I have yet to call beyond Saint Paul - but still plan on doing so....school has gotten crazy and I graduate in May. But once I'm done with that I'll def make a list and share it. c:

Echidna
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
wait, you guys live in the "state of ten thousand lakes" and keep looking for a pool?

there's even a lake with its own seaserpent

how cool is that?

Ayla of Duluth
04-13-2014, 04:56 PM
wait, you guys live in the "state of ten thousand lakes" and keep looking for a pool?

THANK YOU. I live right on the tip of Lake Superior and it is the clearest, most beautiful place to swim. The north shore has so much scenery and places to swim, I'd take a lake over a pool any day.

MermanDan
04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Point taken, there are some nice beaches around, and there is a park near the Minneapolis airport that has super clear water. I think of pools when the lakes are covered in ice.

Mermaid Mika
04-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh - totes. I'm totally alllll about the lakes. But currently there's still a bit of ice on top of the one in my back yard....so you know. Just looking for warm alternatives.

Mermaid Galene
04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Good to know about the hotels in River Falls and Stillwater! So did they approve swimming there with a tail?

For lake/river swimming in this are, there's a nice little beach on the Hudson riverfront, though I don't know how the lifeguards there feel about tails and monofins. There are also beaches in Willow River State Park and Kinnickinnic State Park, and neither of them are staffed by lifeguards. Presumably one could swim there undisturbed with a tail.

Mermaid Galene
04-21-2014, 07:03 PM
I just found out that the New Richmond Area Centre allows monofins and mermaid tails in their pool. Eureka!

MermanDan
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
As far as swimming at beaches, i found out that you can go beyond the designated areas if you have a diving buoy..

MermanDan
04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I found out that Northwesten Health Sciences College will rent their pool for $35.00 an hour.

themnmermaid
04-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Rochester, mn mer checking in!
I love the swimming at a state park idea. :)

Mermaid Galene
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
What would you folks think about having a meetup in Hudson? There are two beautiful state parks nearby - Willow River and Kinnickinnic. Both have swimming beaches. Kinnickinnic SP beach has no lifeguards, which could be both an advantage and a disadvantage, I suppose. Here's what those beaches look like:

20454 Kinnickinnic State Park beach

20455 Willow River State Park beach

The beautiful Hudson Lakefront Park (which is actually on the St. Croix River) has a small beach at the end of a rocky promenade and another one in the same park:

20456 St. Croix riverfront beaches

There are also several other small beaches in the Hudson area:

20457 Homestead Parklands beach

20458 Homestead Parklands beach

20459 Troy Beach

All would be great places to swim. Or, if the weather's bad, we could go to an indoor pool. I'm pretty sure the New Richmond Centre pool is rentable, or we could try the Stillwater or River Falls hotels that Mika researched.

If we have a mermaid swim in Hudson, and if we wanted publicity, I'm sure I could get us into the Hudson newspaper and probably the St. Paul Pioneer Press, too. I know reporters at both those papers; they've done stories on my musical fish.

I live literally 4 miles from both Willow River State Park and downtown Hudson on a 6 acre property (with no lake but a native prairie restoration). I'd be happy to host a picnic lunch or dinner here. We could go swim before or after.

Whaddayathink?

themnmermaid
04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
What would you folks think about having a meetup in Hudson? There are two beautiful state parks nearby - Willow River and Kinnickinnic. Both have swimming beaches. Kinnickinnic SP beach has no lifeguards, which could be both an advantage and a disadvantage, I suppose. Here's what those beaches look like:

20454 Kinnickinnic State Park beach

20455 Willow River State Park beach

The beautiful Hudson Lakefront Park (which is actually on the St. Croix River) has a small beach at the end of a rocky promenade and another one in the same park:

20456 St. Croix riverfront beaches

There are also several other small beaches in the Hudson area:

20457 Homestead Parklands beach

20458 Homestead Parklands beach

20459 Troy Beach

All would be great places to swim. Or, if the weather's bad, we could go to an indoor pool. I'm pretty sure the New Richmond Centre pool is rentable, or we could try the Stillwater or River Falls hotels that Mika researched.

If we have a mermaid swim in Hudson, and if we wanted publicity, I'm sure I could get us into the Hudson newspaper and probably the St. Paul Pioneer Press, too. I know reporters at both those papers; they've done stories on my musical fish.

I live literally 4 miles from both Willow River State Park and downtown Hudson on a 6 acre property (with no lake but a native prairie restoration). I'd be happy to host a picnic lunch or dinner here. We could go swim before or after.

Whaddayathink?

All of the above sounds good to me - I think we need to get the word out that freshwater mermaids are a thing. :)

Ayla of Duluth
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
I like the Hudson idea :)

MermanDan
04-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I like the Hudson Idea as well. The beach looks wonderful.

Mermaid Galene
05-01-2014, 10:38 AM
It sounds like a meetup has just been born! Should we pick a Saturday in July or August? Stu (husband/mertender/pirate) and I are free July 12 or 26th (though that's the date of the Great Lakes meetup), and August 9, 16, or 30 (that's Labor Day weekend).

Once the weather warms up (I resist saying "IF the weather warms up"), I'll take my tail and try out each of these local beaches and see which seems nicest for mermaiding. And I think I can easily arrange some newspaper coverage.

If you like, our little fish + humans band, Neptune's Keep, can give y'all a mini-concert. We've got a few mermaidy tunes.

Mermaid Mika
05-01-2014, 12:02 PM
I lean more towards Kinnickinnic or one of the smaller beaches. I looOOovve Willow River but it's been getting more popular lately which is great - because it means more people get to enjoy it....but it also bums me out because it means more crowds and less thoughtful types littering it up etc. :/

August might be nice because it the weekend before Ren Fest and also the MN State Fair - so it's like the mermaids are bringing in the festivities. heh. :)

Mermaid Galene
05-01-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree. From the pics, at least, the Kinnickinnic beach looks lovely. Willow River's swimming area is pretty shallow, I think, and probably very crowded. Willow River does have a cool waterfall, which would be a nice photo op, but the hike into it is either very steep or very long. Probably not worth the effort.

August sounds good to me.

Mermaid Galene
05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I'd like to propose Saturday, August 16 for this meetup, starting at noon. Lunch here at Punchinello Prairie then a swim at Kinnickinnic Park beach and/or Troy Beach in North Hudson. Would that work for you folks?

Would love to meet y'all in merson! (Did I just make a new word! Clever me.)

MermanDan
05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I will mark my calendar! It will be great to meet everyone!

Mermaid Mika
05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I might not be able to do the 16th, but I can for sure do the 9th.

MermanDan
05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
My calendar is flexible!

Mermaid Galene
05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Sure, the 9th works for us, too. Ayla and mnmermaid, does that work for you?

Sheira Seastar
05-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Hey, I'm in the North-West metro of the Twin Cities. I'm really new the mermaiding world and can't wait to complete my first tail!:)

Waterlilly, Mermaid of the Lakes

Mermaid Galene
05-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Welcome, Waterlilly! Hope you can join us for our local Mer Meetup!

MermanDan
07-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Has there been a confirmed date for our Mer- picnic?

Mermaid Galene
07-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I think the consensus was August 9. Does that still work for you, Dan?

MermanDan
07-04-2014, 10:13 AM
The 9 th is perfect! I will need directions and what can I bring?

Mermaid Galene
07-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I'll do a post with all the details this week.

Looking forward to this!

themnmermaid
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I'll do a post with all the details this week.

Looking forward to this!

I still am waiting on my tail...I don't know if it will be here by then. :( But other than that the 9 does work for me.

Mermaid Galene
07-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Come anyway! You can borrow one of my fabric tails, if it would fit you. Or you can be the mermaid who decided to try swimming with legs. :-)

coral_sybil
07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Bloomington Mn reporting in

Mermaid Galene
07-15-2014, 01:58 PM
The official MN/WI Mer Meetup announcement is up on a new thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?8548-Minnesota-Wisconsin-Mer-Meetup-August-9-2014

Hope to meet a lot of you local merfolk!

MermanDan
08-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I am so excited for Saturday! I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mermaid Galene
08-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Me, too! I'm hoping the weather will cooperate for a St. Croix swim; there's a chance of thunderstorms. But even we can't swim, it will be great to meet everyone!

Mermaid Galene
08-08-2014, 05:09 PM
We will have a gorgeous day for Twin Cities area Mer Meetup tomorrow! Picnic at 1:00 pm, followed by swimming in the beautiful St. Croix. Hope y'all can come!

nightdiver
09-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi - new person here from St. Paul.

I'm a certified diver, and have always loved being underwater. Even now, when I'm on vacation, I'd rather be under the surface of the hotel pool. I do not yet have a merman tail but keep thinking about swimming in one and maybe getting my own someday.

I do a lot with other costuming, from Renaissance (worked at the festival for a few years) to Superheroes to Star Wars.

MermanDan
09-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the Mernetwork! Some of us Mers have gotten together for a swim. It is always great to meet other people to swim with.

Mermaid Galene
09-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Welcome! Nice to have a new member of our little Twin Cities pod!

Mermaid Meko
10-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey NightDiver! I work at MNRF as well, and I make both fabric and silicone tails.
Welcome to the Midwest Merpod! Do you mind letting us know your name? I am curious if we know one another!
And if you ever decide to pursue a tail, there for sure is a MidwestMer discount ;)

nightdiver
10-06-2014, 10:17 AM
My name is Tom. I sang at the Festival about 18 years ago. I also play the trumpet and sounded the fanfares for the Royal Court while I was there. (It was interesting being in two different worlds at the same time, but it was a lot of fun.) The last time I was there was 9 years ago.

Most of my costuming now is Star Wars and Superhero related. (I have 501st approved Stormtrooper armor and Royal Guard robes and I made myself Jedi robes a couple weekends ago). I also have a couple superhero suits I've worn for events: Alien Spiderman, Spiderman (traditional red/blue) and Green Lantern.

I'll keep you in mind if I ever spring for a tail. I want to try and swim in one first sometime to see what I really think.

Mermaid Mika
10-06-2014, 01:32 PM
That's a great idea! If more people can I think they should try out a tail first. The silicone tails are really really hard on your body and not everyone enjoys or can even tolerate the experience. It would be so sad to spend all that money and then realize you don't like it.

MermaidCora
10-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Hello! I'm MermaidAvira! I'm new to the mernetwork, still trying to figure things out. I've always wanted to work at the MNRF!! I only live like 30 minutes from it! How did you get the job? Do you have a website with your tails on it?

Mermaid Mika
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
I can't say what their requirements are....but from my experience this year with them - I had to audition, own my FinFolk tail and also go through Academy/training.

nightdiver
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Auditions are usually held in the spring and the academy runs through the summer. Unless you are one of the Royal family, you will need to provide your own costume.

I had a lot of fun when I worked there, but the days got long and were tiring. Those that work there as entertainers (not the food vendors or shopkeepers) do so because they truly enjoy it.

From a friend of mine who works there now, they are trying to make the atmosphere more family friendly as well. I haven't been there in over 9 years (when my now college freshman was going into fourth grade).

oceangirl
12-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I live in circle pines minnesota

Merman Chatfish
12-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I live 5 miles south of the Iowa-MN border and work in Spring Grove, MN. Hope I am allowed to join.

THANK YOU. I live right on the tip of Lake Superior and it is the clearest, most beautiful place to swim. The north shore has so much scenery and places to swim, I'd take a lake over a pool any day.

I miss the north shore. I keep seeing photos of gooseberry falls. Been so long since I was there.

What would you folks think about having a meetup in Hudson? There are two beautiful state parks nearby - Willow River and Kinnickinnic. Both have swimming beaches. Kinnickinnic SP beach has no lifeguards, which could be both an advantage and a disadvantage,

I lack a tail but I am a certified lifeguard so I could watch our mers.

Rogers,MN here and reporting for duty.:D

My cousins (one of which knows about me being a merman) lives in Rogers.

MermaidRuby
04-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Im from shoreview, MN. i swim at the shoreview YMCA. Meko, could we do a swim meet-up?

MermanDan
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
I would love to swim with some Merfolk soon! I am going through withdrawls from Merfest.

Mermaid Galene
04-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Stu and I would be happy to host another meetup here like last summer - picnic lunch by our prairie followed by a swim in the scenic St. Croix. Does that sound appealing?

MermaidRuby
04-20-2015, 09:58 AM
That does sound awesome! As a new member of the Midwest and Great Lakes pods, I would love this to happen so I could meet some fellow merfolk. My mom doesn't beleive that the merfolk community really exists. Whenever she encounters something that is out of her ordinary, she usually thinks its a scam. I end up having to do a huge amount of research and sometimes a presentation to convice her that its real. Plus, until now, I've been strictly a pool mermaid. I would love to try lake and/or river swimming.

Mermaid Galene
04-20-2015, 10:08 AM
I'll check our calendar and see which Saturdays or Sundays we have free this summer. Would love to meet the newish local mers and see again the folks we met last year!

MermanDan
04-21-2015, 12:05 AM
I would love to meet again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kishiko
06-23-2015, 06:01 PM
If anyone is free this weekend, mermaid Heather and I are meeting up on Sunday afternoon for a swim and a bite to eat somewhere between Rochester and West St. Paul. The more the merrier!

MermanDan
06-23-2015, 07:23 PM
I would love to meet up! Let me know where and when.

MermaidRuby
06-23-2015, 07:32 PM
I want to meet too!

MermanDan
06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
So, has there been a place and time decided on yet?

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Its going to be in Minneapolis, probably about 5:30, because were hitting the uptown food truck faire afterwards

Sheira Seastar
06-25-2015, 02:39 PM
What day?

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Sunday!

Sent from my shellphone using Mertalk

Sheira Seastar
06-25-2015, 04:18 PM
I'll see if I can make it happen!

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Fantastic! I'll message you with the specifics when we nail down a location [emoji1]

Mermaid Galene
06-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Wish I could make this meetup. It would be lovely to swim with you folks! But Neptune's Keep is in the studio on Sunday working on our new album, so I'll have to miss the mer gathering. Have a great time!

MerMaisy
06-25-2015, 07:16 PM
My boyfriend lives up in Andover. I told him about this because he's interested in being a merman. Still haven't convinced him to join MerNetwork.

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Okay guys! Edina YMCA, 5:00-5:15 ish (were planning to swim at 5:30) BE THERE :D (Granted of course they allow swim fins, havent had a problem with others Ive called but always good to check)

MermanDan
06-25-2015, 09:36 PM
How do we get in if we are not members?

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 09:36 PM
The Y allows non members for open swim, you just have to fill out a waiver

MermanDan
06-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Looking forward to seeing some new faces!

Kishiko
06-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Same here! Even at short notice, sounds like we're going to have a decent turnout

Kishiko
06-26-2015, 02:38 PM
So I spoke with the Y about their policy on day passes, and as long as no one is from the inner metro area you can get a $10 non member day pass ($5 if under 18). Kind of odd, because I've never heard of a Y having location restrictions but I think everyone coming is out of the area so it shouldn't be an issue.

MermanDan
06-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Had a great time with everyone! I hope we can do this again real soon!

MermaidRuby
06-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Really enjoyed the meetup on sunday! can't wait to do it again!

Merman Chatfish
06-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

Madison MerFaerie
06-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

I second that notion!
Wish I could have been there with you guys!

MermanDan
06-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Hopefully we will see the pictures that Waterlilly took.