PDA

View Full Version : Policy to protect mermaids and tail makers alike!! What do you think??

Firemaid
11-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi guys!

People are starting to commission tails from me and Jason. And I'm getting a little nervous.

There has been so many problems with the mermaid/tailmaker relationship in the past.
I was wondering if as a community we could come up with some policies to protect both tailmakers and mermaids.

Two things I'm worried about as the tailmaker:

-Tails cost me a lot to make. All the materials + rent at my studio space aint cheap. If I build a tail and the mermaid doesn't like it (for whatever reason), I'm seriously in trouble if I have to give a refund.

-These tails take a long time to make and weather can change things. I want to be able to tell people when they will be done, but a week of cold and rainy weather could really slow me down.

Buying a mermaid tail can be a big deal. People often save up to be able to afford one. I think it's important that expectations are managed for both the buyer and the seller.

What do you all think?

PearlieMae
11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I think that's a good start, but you also have to consider a section in your agreement about liability. Mermaid tails are strictly USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Heaven forbid someone gets hurt and decides to sue you for selling them something (liability-wise) potentially dangerous.

Also, bespoke items need a no-refund policy, a non-refundable deposit policy, and, if the order somehow gets cancelled while the tail is being made, at least a 50% non-refundable kill fee.

SeaGlass Siren
11-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Well you could always do what businesses do.. Warranties... Protection clauses.. Hold up I think I might have a few clauses you can look at.

edit: no i lie theyre all library clauses :[ ew.

SeaGlass Siren
11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
or what about something like "the undersigned agrees that the seller and purchaser will abide by the following agreement: .....1 2 3 " and then you list the terms and conditions...

Anahita
11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Pearlie made a good point about the liability as well as non-refundable deposits. I ALWAYS charge a nonrefundable deposit for EVERYTHING - costumes, performance bookings, etc.

The performances are so people don't try and fill up my schedule and then never follow through (which can lose me money) and the costumes are so that if I buy the materials and they back out, I didn't lose the cost of the materials (and also like the performances, so that people don't try and fill out my schedule with costume orders they want, but never follow through for).

As for returns and unhappy customers, I would also include disclaimers in the purchase contract that the items are hand-made and custom-order, so flaws should be expected to some extent as handmade items are not perfect. Maybe something like that will make people be more reasonable about their expectations, or at least protect you from unreasonable people who freak out over a seam, or a not-exactly-what-they-demanded paint scheme.

Kae
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I think there should be an understanding that a certain part is non-refundable. So if you sell the tail for say $2,000 and your materials cost you around $700 That much would be non-refundable.

Also, I know you're working really hard to have an open and honest relationship with your customers. What I thought about doing when I start taking commissions is to take a "final" picture of the tail that is ready to be shipped and let the customer see and "sign off" on it. So that if they see any flaws in color or design they can address it then and not after it's shipped.

If it's a legitimate concern, you can work it out with the customer and fix problems instead of taking a refund.

Another, thing I thought of is possibly offering help with smaller problems by teaching them how to fix it. (this would strictly be if it wasn't a tail maker mistake) but rather for tears that occur or something not warranting shipping back and forth between a tailmaker.

Firemaid
11-21-2013, 11:21 PM
I think there should be an understanding that a certain part is non-refundable. So if you sell the tail for say $2,000 and your materials cost you around $700 That much would be non-refundable.

Also, I know you're working really hard to have an open and honest relationship with your customers. What I thought about doing when I start taking commissions is to take a "final" picture of the tail that is ready to be shipped and let the customer see and "sign off" on it. So that if they see any flaws in color or design they can address it then and not after it's shipped.

If it's a legitimate concern, you can work it out with the customer and fix problems instead of taking a refund.

Another, thing I thought of is possibly offering help with smaller problems by teaching them how to fix it. (this would strictly be if it wasn't a tail maker mistake) but rather for tears that occur or something not warranting shipping back and forth between a tailmaker.

Yes! I'm for sure putting together little repair kits.

NerineArcticMermaid
11-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Jesse did that for me. I can now fix rips and what naught myself :) now if I can just figure out how to take in my tail...lol :)

I agree on the non refundable part too.

Firemaid
11-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Jesse did that for me. I can now fix rips and what naught myself :) now if I can just figure out how to take in my tail...lol :)

I agree on the non refundable part too.

Taking it in should be pretty easy. If you send me a private message I'll walk you through it :)