PDA

View Full Version : Jacquard Pearl-ex Pigments

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Ok ladies and gentlemen. I have decided to start making a scale top (with the encouragement of Jessica :) ) as I was looking through all the colors you could get of the Pearl-ex pigements, I kept noticing things called "Interference gold", "Interference red", etc etc...

Does anyone know what these are? are they a filler with a certain shimmer of the color in them? I am hesitant on buying them just because the color in the jar doesn't look like the color in the name...

I have my other colors I needed, but I just kept coming across these "interference" ones and didn't know what they were.
16123<--- interference gold
16124<----aztec gold

Aziara
12-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I've been wondering about these myself.

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Glad to know that I wasn't the only one lol.

Just confuses me is all and I would like to know if others have used it and what the purpose is of them

PearlieMae
12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes, the interference colors have no real color to them, they give a color cast to whatever you apply them to. so, say you have a green tail and you want it to shine blue, like on a fish, the blue interference color on top of the green only shows up at certain angles in the light.

They are quite beautiful, and hard to capture in photography.

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 11:59 AM
So pretty much, my tail is pink, if I wanted a gold shimmer (in certain movements/lights) I would put the interference gold over top of what i already have on my pink scales. that way when i move or the light hits just right it gives off a gold shimmer on the pink? is that right? cus if it is i may want to add that to my collection.

THANKS PEARLIEMAE

Mermaid Oshun
12-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Pearlie why are you telling all the secrets :O_o: Yes I use multiple layers of interference colors and you can not see it in photos at all.

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Lol golden pearl your funny. Honestly i like the thought that its just a shimmer (that's nice) but i dont like the fact that it doesn't show up in pictures or only in certain angles. If I am going to take the time and make a scale top and also repaint my tail, i would want my hard work and gorgeous colors to show

PearlieMae
12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Absolutely! What I would do is to dab your finger into the interfere color, then lightly rub it onto the parts you want to highlight, like the edges of the scales, or a couple of stripes down the sides - it doesn't take much! - then seal it in with a thin, clear coat. Silicone, if you have a silicone tail, or clear gloss acrylic for fabric.

PearlieMae
12-02-2013, 12:09 PM
It's not a secret, GP.

For every one mer that makes their own tail, there will be a hundred who will buy one.

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks PearlieMae...
I was going to make my own silicone scale top first just to get the hang of silicone, working with scales and seams, then being able to paint it by hand with silicone mixed with pearlex pigment. I will most likely get some interference gold (although i think i would like to see what pink mixed with gold pigment looks like first) but this probably helped a lot of other people wondering about the "interference" pigments so thanks very very much :)

Mermaid Oshun
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
jk

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm almost tempted if anyone would give up their color combos... i know jessica has with a few of hers. she explains how she got certain colors with the pigments and what she mixed them with. I was just curious if anyone else has done that. but not a lot of people hand paint their silicone with pearlex pigment i dont think.

PearlieMae
12-02-2013, 12:26 PM
jk

:D

Jessica
12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I love the interference colors :) you can make your pink tail shine gold, violet, blue..so many options! (And all without losing the beautiful pink color!)

what color combos do you need? A lot of it is just trial and error....it took me a little while to figure out the best way to get emerald green...the hard part is remembering how much you added so you can make the color again!

Mizuko
12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm using interference blue in my pink silicone tail- its really really pretty!!!

PearlieMae
12-02-2013, 05:06 PM
That's a great combination!

Echinacea
12-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm using interference blue in my pink silicone tail- its really really pretty!!!

OOOH! Skybluepink! :D I had a friend who had a lovely satin skirt that was that blue/pink combo - it was breathtaking!

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Well my tail now is pink. I want gold as a shimmer for the most part but also as another separate color. Also orange. I will post a picture of the fluke I drew just so you all can see how I imagine it. I fell in love with the color combo of the fluke but it doesn't have to be that way.

As far as color combos it would be

pink+orange
pink+gold
orange +gold
pink + ? = darker pink

i know that i will have to play around with it. Knowing me i would probably use teaspoons to add colors just so i could keep track of my color mixing for future reference lol

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Mizuko
12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Beautiful design! :D Its awesome there are other mers who love pink out there! hehe! <3

Mer_Adella
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Beautiful design! :D Its awesome there are other mers who love pink out there! hehe! <3

LMAO honestly Mizuko....as a woman....i HATE pink. I mean...Go 'TA TAS" for breast cancer,,but i hate that color. I dont know why. But when it came down to a mermaid tail. I wanted pink because barely anyone had it and i had a fish in mind that was a tropical warm water caribbean fish. And it was pink/gold/orange in color. So hence I sucked it up and went with pink. But ya you are right not a lot of mermaids have pink tails and I think that aided me in making that color choice. You wouldn't believe how many people have told me that pink and gold were my colors when, in reality, i hate those two colors. all my jewelry is silver or white gold. but as a mermaid persona I went out of my comfort zone. lol

Mizuko
12-02-2013, 07:49 PM
haha! XD its very good of you to go out of your comfort zone! To be honest I haven't left mine... lol! Pink is my favourite colour in-and-out of the water! haha! One day I'll make a black tail or something COMPLETELY different to who I am, but for now I'm staying in the shallow end. haha!

Mermaid Danielle
12-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks for posting this thread, Adella, and thank you Pearlmae for the answer! I've been wondering (for ages) how an effect like that could be achieved in painting!

Mer_Adella
12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
No problem Danielle. I looked and couldn't find the answer in the other threads so that is why I asked. Always nice to know these things :)

PearlieMae
12-06-2013, 12:15 AM
These are from a scale test interference blue over various colors of dragonskin...

You can see some of the scales are only half covered with the interfere color.

Aziara
12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Urrr... Link doesn't work, unfortunately.

PearlieMae
12-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Rats! How about now?

Aziara
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Yep, works now. I definitely see some blue shimmer in there. These interference pigments are really cool. I'll have to get some if I ever get around to making a silicone tail.

Mer_Adella
12-10-2013, 12:45 AM
That is very cool i guess i will have to look at the interference colors and see what I can get. I think the gold might be a winner for sure :) thanks everyone ! i would love to see some more examples if anyone else has tried them.