PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone direct me to a zipper in fabric tail tutorial

Shelley
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM
I have tried several closure methods for my fabric tails that I use over the *same* mono fin. A mers gotta have options!
I hear folks talk about installing a zipper to the tail so that they can remove the monofin but my monofin is shapely and I am not sure how I'm gonna install a zipper around all those curves. Any tips? (I have installed zippers in dresses, skirts, etc but those were all in a straight line or gentle curve.) A video tutorial would be excellent but I haven't found one in my searches.

Here's what I might try-use two straight but thin peices of lycra and install the zipper to those, then handstitch the raw edges to the end of my tail.

Or maybe you have a better closure idea altogether? I've tried heavy duty velcro, metal and nylon snaps, metal hook and eyes, safety pins. I'm not really happy with any of these results long term. I don't want to sew the monofin in either. Dang. I'm picky huh? :lol:

And just so you know, I find this site hard to navigate or I'd come play more often. ;)
<3 Shelley O'Pearls

MerEmma
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
What monofin do you have? I have the Oceanika and I'm planning to make a fabric tail for it pretty soon and was planning to use velcro or maybe sew in little bits of elastic in the end to hold it in. I'm interested to see what advice you get!

Mermaid Fenicia
12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I've got a Triton and it's also shaped, but the zippers in my tails are strait. The fabric is cut in the curved shape (almost like my monofin), but the zipper is sewed in place like with a strait seam. it's also in the middle of that seam and long enough to remove or add the monofin. ;)

Mermaid Fenicia
12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
BTW: I make my fabric tails ;)

MerMarla
12-05-2013, 01:32 AM
I have tried several closure methods for my fabric tails that I use over the *same* mono fin. A mers gotta have options!
I hear folks talk about installing a zipper to the tail so that they can remove the monofin but my monofin is shapely and I am not sure how I'm gonna install a zipper around all those curves. Any tips? (I have installed zippers in dresses, skirts, etc but those were all in a straight line or gentle curve.) A video tutorial would be excellent but I haven't found one in my searches.

Here's what I might try-use two straight but thin peices of lycra and install the zipper to those, then handstitch the raw edges to the end of my tail.

Or maybe you have a better closure idea altogether? I've tried heavy duty velcro, metal and nylon snaps, metal hook and eyes, safety pins. I'm not really happy with any of these results long term. I don't want to sew the monofin in either. Dang. I'm picky huh? :lol:

And just so you know, I find this site hard to navigate or I'd come play more often. ;)
<3 Shelley O'Pearls

Hi Shelly!

Using lycra is an excellent idea, make sure you use heavy thread and double stitch the rows. If you think the monofin will rub against the zipper, I might double the lycra thickness, its your weakest "link" in installing a zip at the flukes end... I have installed zippers in upholstery and those on edge are the worst going around a tight corner, mid-way isn't so bad, then adding the welting makes it thick and harder to sew. I would probably avoid sharply radiused scallops, gentle curves should be no problem if you take your time. I am curious about installing a zipper at the very end of the flukes because of air that can accumulate in the tail and work its way to the end... maybe a zipper has enuf spaces to allow air to pass. I dunno.

I don't think your picky, but exacting! I like that! You may find if you give yourself enuf width-edge on the lycra you may still be able to machine stitch the lycra in, especially if you inset the zipper a little on your fabric, that way it wouldn't be noticeable. I was thinking of installing a clear zipper to the end of my home-made monofin's vinyl cover, but for now I think I like it open, the fabric will seal it sufficiently, so I don't think I need the zipper, too. When we had our tail's custom made at Weeki Wachee, they ran the zipper from the waist to about 1/2 way into the fins area (no monofins in the late 60's, LOL) so it was easy to zip in and out for costume changes!

Hope this helps!

(((Hugz))) and Bubble
Mermaid Marla