PDA

View Full Version : Jessica's Dragonskin Silicone Scale Top

Jessica
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone :)

I've had a lot of questions about making a scale top so I thought it was about time to start a thread explaining how I made my top!

I use convertible bras from Victoria's Secret (the very sexy bras are 2/$49 and work great). I used a bunch of scraps to make my first top, but for this one I made a small sheet of scales since I was almost out of scraps!

To get the scales to stick to the bra, you first brush silicone directly on the bra. Silicone will only stick to itself, so make sure you really work the silicone into the fabric with a paintbrush. After you get a good layer down on the bra, stick your scales on and clamp with clothes pins, straight pins, clamps...anything really! You want to make sure you have a little overhang....let the scales hang over the top and bottom edges so you can trim them.

One issue you will run into with any bra is that the silicone doesn't want to lay right against the cups because of the curve. There is no perfect solution with this method....you just have to trim the scales to fit. If you want scales that will fit perfectly, you will need to get some clay and mold materials and make a mold for a top.

Here's a few pictures of my first top on Eva and on me:

Mer_Adella
12-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I love that top it blends so well with your guys skin tone :) I would have such a hard time pulling off that pink because in the summer i get soooo dark tan.

Jessica
12-10-2013, 12:02 AM
You're lucky you tan adella! I stay so pale year round! If I'm lucky I can get just a little tan in the summer.

i've been working on attaching the scales to the bra base. I start in the center and brush silicone into the fabric. You want the bra to look like its wet...this is how you know the silicone is really in the fibers. I don't brush silicone all over the entire bra at once...it would just get messy! I start in the center and do the insides of each cup. I them lay the silicone sheet in the center and over the cups. I used straight pins to secure the scales to the bra while the silicone cures. After I completed the center section, I lifted the unattached scales up, brushed more silicone onto the cups and then secured it with more pins.

When you're pinning the scales in place, you can stretch them a little to fit over the cups. If you have a smaller cup size, like an a or a b this will work pretty well and you won't have to trim the scales to fit the curve of the cup. This technique might work with larger sizes too, but I haven't tested it yet.

Here are a few pictures! The one with all the pins is a picture of the inside of the bra cup....it looks like a medieval torture device! :)

Mer_Adella
12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
OMG please remember to take ALL the pins out first before trying it on!!!! lol. what did you use for the mold of the scales? It looks like plaster of paris

Mermaid Oshun
12-10-2013, 04:16 AM
I like your technique Jessica

PearlieMae
12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
That pink top all but disappears underwater! Thanks for sharing this!

Aziara
12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I love that top it blends so well with your guys skin tone :) I would have such a hard time pulling off that pink because in the summer i get soooo dark tan.
You could possibly use bronze or gold for a scale top. My skin's warm toned but pale, so I'm gonna try a very pale golden. So glad you're putting up this thread, Jessica! It's awesome to see how it's done.

Mizuko
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Thank you so much Jessica!!! :D

mermaidm
12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Oh my gosh i'm laughing so hard at the 'medieval torture device' statement and pictures. Haha :) great work Jessica! I love following your mermaid-gear-making (not exactly sure what I just typed ;)) journeys!

Mermaid Dottie
12-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Oooooh!I'm glad you're doing this, Jessica. I've been considering doing a latex top, myself.

Ashton
12-13-2013, 04:16 AM
I have always wondered how these were made. I cant wait to learn more!

Spindrift
12-15-2013, 01:43 PM
These look fantastic!

Mermaid Harmony
12-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Jessica, can I order a scale top from you?

Lotus
12-15-2013, 04:02 PM
same here! I want one!!!

Ashton
12-15-2013, 05:03 PM
I would also love to order a top from you if you are doing that at all.

carmelasmith
12-16-2013, 03:51 AM
wow you make a great mermaid!! can i buy a scale top too?! It looks really beautiful

Jessica
12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone! I just started a new project and have been sculpting like a mad woman all week so there hasn't been much in the way of progress on this top! :)

I'm happy to make and sell a few scale tops :) I should have time to do them right after Christmas. Let me think about a price and I'll let you guys know!

Adella, I used shell shock for my scale mold. It's a great material

Dottie, it would be awesome to see you make a latex top! :)

AniaR
12-17-2013, 12:01 AM
beautiful :)

Jadestone
12-22-2013, 04:34 AM
I giggled at the 'torture device' picture!! Oh my gosh it makes me squirm, haha. I'm with Adella--make sure you get ALL of those out of there before trying it on!!

And this is so neat! I've wondered how people do scale tops, although I'm sure there's more than one way. This looks great! Do the scales around the band just stop short of the clasps? On the side where the clasps face up, that is.

spottedcatfish
12-22-2013, 05:18 AM
I'd love a scale top from you too! That makes three potential clients. Any tips on what fabric for the bra would work well with this technique? I have a bra in mind but it has this satin material over the cups.

Mer_Adella
12-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I'd love a scale top from you too! That makes three potential clients. Any tips on what fabric for the bra would work well with this technique? I have a bra in mind but it has this satin material over the cups.

I'm sure that the material wouldn't matter, just as long as you follow what Jessica said and make sure that you saturate the fabric with silicone to where it looks very VERY wet/shiny. I actually have done this before. I took an old strapless bra that barely fit (actually it does still fit just more of a corest type of bra since it pushed them flat against my body and up high) and painted it with Lumiere paint to have scales. Later on I used silicone caulk (the 100% kind from GE) and used a long skewer and spread it all over the bra. ( I wanted the shiny/slimy feel in water) At the time I didn't know anything about this. Now that I read jessica's post, I went back and looked at that top. I was amazed to find that some spots were covered well and some were rough like the normal fabric and in the grooves (where the fabric had natural holes) there was silicone where I didn't put enough.

So i am sure that if you saturate enough into it Spotted that it will work.

Mer_Adella
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
And this is so neat! I've wondered how people do scale tops, although I'm sure there's more than one way. This looks great! Do the scales around the band just stop short of the clasps? On the side where the clasps face up, that is.

If I remember what Jessica told me in an email (when i asked her to do a tutorial) she said that her's went to the edge of where the hooks and eyes started. My suggestion is that if you make one, you know what size bra you need and what eye the hooks go through. So for instance I know that I like mine tight so they dont slip, so I would put mine to the farthest one in. I would just make the scales to the edge of the straps and blend it. I will try and post a picture for reference.

Mer_Adella
12-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Aziara
12-22-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd probably do it that way even if I use the loosest hook, so that you can use the top for longer as it starts to stretch out.

Mizuko
12-22-2013, 10:17 PM
The top wont stretch out at all- I've had my Merbellas scale bra for a year and its still as tight as the day I got it :) The silicone holds the bras shape/material so it doesn't stretch out of shape!

Aziara
12-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Well, that's good to know. I was worried I'd have to make a new scale bra every few years, lol.

Jessica
12-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi guys! It's been so hectic getting ready for Christmas and working on a new tail :) I'd love to make tops for anyone who wants one. I'll be ready to take an order or two right after Christmas :)

Hi spottedcatfish!

i think most fabrics would be fine, but i haven't tested too many so I can't say for sure! I'll have to do a few tests to find out! I have some satin around here somewhere.... :)

jade,
adella's got it right! Here are a few pics so you guys can see! I leave a little overhang so the clasp doesn't show much

Aziara
12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
One thing I'm wondering, is can I lay the scales so that there is some silicone above the top edge of the bra? If so, how high above the bra could I make the top edge of the scales? Or does it have to be even with the top edge of the bra? I don't want it to be floppy and have the water grab it, lol :O_o:

Mer_Adella
12-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I would say a 1/4-1/2" would be ok. I understand the question as I hate when the top of the bra peeks out.....ruins the authenticity

Jessica
12-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Aziara,
I'm with adella on this one....just a little hanging over should be fine, but you could always make it hang over as much as you want, then trim it if it flaps in the water!

So I have discovered that Victoria's Secret must have changed the foam padding in the bra cups....because it's causing cure inhibition, but only on the cups! I'm testing different bras now and will keep you guys updated :) If anyone is planning on making their own scale top, I do recommend washing the bra with mild detergent first to remove any possible surface contamination. The issue with the VS bras is definitely not surface contamination (I have done multiple tests on multiple VS bras) and I don't recommend using them. I'll have updates for you guys soon! I'm excited to make some new scale tops!

Mermaid Oshun
12-28-2013, 04:11 PM
remember shellac spray paint as a physical barrier. That's a possibility

Jessica
12-28-2013, 06:46 PM
remember shellac spray paint as a physical barrier. That's a possibility

Hmmmm....it would create a barrier, but it think it would also prevent the silicone from getting into the fibers of the fabric. I just picked up two new bras at kohls....I'm testing them tonight! I'll let you know how it goes!

Mer_Adella
12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
If I can save up the money after "Shiver Me Timbers" event in Feb I will be getting some silicone.

Jessica, what do you recommend looking for in a bra? Like minimal padding? a "normal" bra that a person would wear? no padding? My thought was that if someone whom wanted to try this themselves might look at the bra aisle going "Shit"....because there are soooo many to choose from..

Jessica
12-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Adella,

I totally understand how frustrating it is! So many bras!! I can't guarantee that this will work...so much of it is trial and error, but I looked for bras with a good cover on the cups.....the thin nylon cover on the VS bras just doesn't work well. You should look for a bra that when you pinch the top layer...it isn't totally see through. The thicker the fabric, the better the chance that it will work well. Then again, this is just what worked for me so I can't guarantee that's its a good method. I would like to mention though......if you buy a nude bra, you can test it in the very center of the bra cup by brushing a bit of silicone in the fabric. If it cures, you're fine! If it doesn't cure or is tacky, then you can wipe most of it off and use the bra for a shell top.

You can also buy silpoxy (from smooth on) and use it to adhere the scales to the bra cups. I did this for Eva's scale bra since I had already bought a Victoria's Secret bra. It works just fine, but it's pricey....$28/3oz + tax and shipping!

I'm so happy.....both of the bras I bought worked great with silicone! I actually just went back and bought six more in various sizes. For those of you interested in scale bras, please pm me your sizes and I will let you know if I have it in stock :)

Strapless Scale bras:
A-B cup $75
C cup and above $85
+ shipping (actual cost)

i can make and ship a scale top within 1-2 weeks. They only take a few days to make (complex paint jobs can take longer or if I have to special order pigment)

I'm working on Eva's scale top today and will have pictures up in a day or so :)

Aino Revontuletar
12-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Wow thanks for showing us this! I am thinking of maybe making a silicone top sort of along the lines of Raven's seaweed top (except I want it to have lily pads, leaves and flowers), hopefully using this method. I can foresee trouble with getting an intricate design like that to fit around the curves of the cups in the way that you did with the scales, though. How would you go about making a mold to get it to fit correctly?

Jessica
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow thanks for showing us this! I am thinking of maybe making a silicone top sort of along the lines of Raven's seaweed top (except I want it to have lily pads, leaves and flowers), hopefully using this method. I can foresee trouble with getting an intricate design like that to fit around the curves of the cups in the way that you did with the scales, though. How would you go about making a mold to get it to fit correctly?

you have a few options....the best option for you will depend on your cup size....

you can sculpt directly on a mannequin bust (cover the entire area in clay that will touch the mold material)
you can sculpt clay boobs and then your design on top
you can sculpt your design on a flat surface, but allow for a slight curve in the cup area by making the sculpture higher near the cups (this is a good method if you are smaller chested and are making a top that is straight across the chest, like a sports bra)

^ if you do any of these, you might want to brush silicone in your mold rather than pour. You don't want to fill in the curve of the cup, and silicone will level itself in a mold. Also, the thinner you make your silicone, the more flexible it will be. It's much easier to get thin silicone to stretch over the bra cups than thick silicone.

There are more options....but without knowing your bra size it's hard to tell you what might be easiest.

I hope this helps! :)

Fifi Tigg
12-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Jessica would you be interested in making a little scale top for my little mermaid?
She needs it to match her Finfolk tail :)

Jessica
12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Fifi,

I would LOVE to! Do you have a design in mind? A halter style or tankini style would be so cute!

PearlieMae
12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Wow...I have a huge chest and tiny bewbies!

I just thought of something, if you are a seamstress at all...cut fabric to fit the cup causing inhibition problems, attach scales to that fabric, then applique it to the bra.

Fifi Tigg
12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Yay! That's great! I'm not sure on style yet I will talk with Emily and maybe do some sketches :D
I really like the pictures of your top on the first page, maybe something like that with a halter so it doesn't slip?

Jessica
12-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Wow...I have a huge chest and tiny bewbies!

I just thought of something, if you are a seamstress at all...cut fabric to fit the cup causing inhibition problems, attach scales to that fabric, then applique it to the bra.

Pearlie,
then you have the perfect body for a sports bra type silicone top! It's soooo much easier to get scales on small cups than large! :)

I'm a pretty good seamstress, but I'm a little lazy so I'm just going to switch bra brands! I actually like the ones I bought at kohls better than my favorite Victoria's Secret ones! The kohls bras have this awesome strong band with four lines of sticky strips < what are these called?! They are seriously awesome!

Fifi,
i think a halter style would work great! Her tail is just gorgeous! :) when you get a chance, measure around her chest (in the middle of where the top will be) and then from the top of her shoulder down to where you want the top to start and to end. You can just send it in a pm and then I can figure out a price for you! :)

Aino Revontuletar
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Well I am a C cup, so not tooo big but big enough that sculpting a flat design would probably not work out for me. I like the idea of cutting some fabric to fit the cup, that could work. I also thought of maybe doing it in separate sections - a lily pad here, a leaf there, and then gluing them on with silicone like you did. It would be just like making an appliqué design on a bra

PearlieMae
12-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I love that idea, I was thinking of doing that with individual silicone kelp fronds! I love the idea of lily pads and other flotsam!

Jessica
12-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Well I am a C cup, so not tooo big but big enough that sculpting a flat design would probably not work out for me. I like the idea of cutting some fabric to fit the cup, that could work. I also thought of maybe doing it in separate sections - a lily pad here, a leaf there, and then gluing them on with silicone like you did. It would be just like making an appliqué design on a bra

that would definitely work! It sounds awesome! Not to mention.....you could make several tops and each one would look different!

I was looking at mermaid Lorelei's website and noticed that her merbella octopus top is straight across...meaning that it doesn't follow the curve of the cup and attach in between the boobs. So even though you're a c cup, you could sculpt flat and then just attach across the cups and not in between. This gives me some ideas! :)

Mer_Adella
12-30-2013, 08:05 PM
I could do a lily pad or kelp drawing. :) jessica knows that i can do it lol

Jessica
12-30-2013, 08:18 PM
I could do a lily pad or kelp drawing. :) jessica knows that i can do it lol

^^Adella is always bursting with great ideas!! She sent me the most awesome idea for a top the other night!

Mer_Adella
12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
^^Adella is always bursting with great ideas!! She sent me the most awesome idea for a top the other night!

awe :$ thanks jessica...but ya if anyone wants to see what i can manage i can draw something up (after i do this file for work of course lol)

PearlieMae
12-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Hey Adella, What do you do for a living? I'm an art/creative director and photographer.

Mer_Adella
12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
lol I am an assistant to a home appraiser. I basically fill in the files. I work from home. So when waiting for a file or having a "free" day I am very bored.

Aino Revontuletar
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I am a freshwater/ lake mer so I have just got to have lily pads! I can see sculpting clay boobs to fit one of my bras and then sculpting over top of that working too, so long as I can get the silicone to not level out and fill the cups where I don't want it to. If I am going to do that, should I get a silicone thickener to make it easier for it to stick to the sides and not run down into the cup? *still haven't decided what method to use yet* also, how much silicone does it take to make one of these tops? Would the trial size be enough?

PearlieMae
12-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Adella, and you are an artist, too?

Jessica
12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
I am a freshwater/ lake mer so I have just got to have lily pads! I can see sculpting clay boobs to fit one of my bras and then sculpting over top of that working too, so long as I can get the silicone to not level out and fill the cups where I don't want it to. If I am going to do that, should I get a silicone thickener to make it easier for it to stick to the sides and not run down into the cup? *still haven't decided what method to use yet* also, how much silicone does it take to make one of these tops? Would the trial size be enough?

You can use a silicone thickener.....but I'm cheap so I would just tilt the mold and take my time brushing it section by section. You can also mix silicone, let it sit out for awhile and then brush it in once it's already started to cure just a little........ Or just babysit it and keep brushing it back where it belongs< this works for me, but you should do tests! I've done all of the above!

There are other methods too....like an insert in your mold, but it looks a bit complicated in the videos I've seen. You can check out videos on smooth on's website....I've learned so much on there!

As for if a trial size will be enough....that really will depend on how thick you make your sculpture and how thick you pour/brush your silicone. Don't forget to leave extra to brush on the bra too....and for painting. There's no perfect answer...just trial and error :)

Mer_Adella
12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
PearlieMae, I'm a a "jack of all trades" my mom taught me how to sew, crochet, draw, paint, and I work with clay and all sorts of things. I LOVE to create. Sometimes, I amaze myself, sometimes I fail. I also write novels

Jessica
12-30-2013, 11:18 PM
^^pearlie, yes she's an artist! She's just too modest! Her clay sea creatures are so cute!! It's fun to bounce ideas off her....you never know what she will come up with!

Mermaid Oshun
12-30-2013, 11:31 PM
If you make art u R an artist. If you cook u R a cook

Mer_Adella
12-30-2013, 11:52 PM

PearlieMae
12-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Those are adorable!

You know, you COULD let the silicone pool strategically inside the bra cups and have a built in push up! That's what I'm doing!

;)

Jessica
12-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Adella,
I just love those little guys! ;)

Aino Revontuletar
12-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Adella, those are absolutely adorable! :D I am a bit of a jack of all trades too when it comes to arts and crafts, which is why I want to try working with silicone.

I am actually thinking of making a top, as Jessica suggested in another thread, in order to try my hand at silicone and see if I like it before I think of making my own tail (I often tend to get ahead of myself in thinking up ambitious ideas, haha). This sounds like a good way to start. Relatively simple, not too daunting. I thought of getting the trial size of the silicone and using it for this for that reason.

Mermaid Caspiana
01-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Love these! Great info! ;) :)

spottedcatfish
01-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Hmm I love this thread so far. I'm now wondering if this has to be done on a bra base (which isn't really made for swimming) or if this can be done on a tankini or even a bikini top? I understand that there needs to be a form underneath to have the silicone set into that place? If there was a mold of how the top needed to be shaped, then could a scale top be made just out of silicone?? Omg soo many questions!!

Jessica
01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Hmm I love this thread so far. I'm now wondering if this has to be done on a bra base (which isn't really made for swimming) or if this can be done on a tankini or even a bikini top? I understand that there needs to be a form underneath to have the silicone set into that place? If there was a mold of how the top needed to be shaped, then could a scale top be made just out of silicone?? Omg soo many questions!!

Yes, you can use a tankini top or bathing suit top! You could actually try making a duct tape mold of your chest, stuff it so it's nice and firm, and then make your top on that. If you have a plastic mannequin bust, it would be easy to make a top right on that :)

I'll have some pictures of two new finished tops soon! I'm just finishing up some painting....it's been slow moving because my house has no heat until Tuesday and space heaters can only beat a house up so much!

spottedcatfish
01-06-2014, 04:25 AM
Yes, you can use a tankini top or bathing suit top! You could actually try making a duct tape mold of your chest, stuff it so it's nice and firm, and then make your top on that. If you have a plastic mannequin bust, it would be easy to make a top right on that :)

I'll have some pictures of two new finished tops soon! I'm just finishing up some painting....it's been slow moving because my house has no heat until Tuesday and space heaters can only beat a house up so much!

I thought I should share these links:

Duct tape bust mold link: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/16297/create-a-custom-dress-form/page/all

Other ways to do it: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant/page/all

(http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant/page/all)

PearlieMae
01-06-2014, 09:40 AM
I use Saran Wrap (cling film) and clear packing tape.

MermaidMyrthe
01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Oh my glob that is just gorgeous Jessica! Keep on the good work!

Jessica
01-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi guys :) I'm almost finished with the two new tops! Here's a sneak peek of the little guy going on Eva's :

PearlieMae
01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Too adorable!

Jessica
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Eva's top is just about finished :) I'm just going to add a few more crystals! It's hard to tell in the pictures, but there's just a bit of pink along the edge of the cups and on the inside of the halter straps :)

this is a halter style top with a mini seahorse and Swarovski crystals

Jessica
01-06-2014, 10:59 PM
This is my new top! I'm pretty sure I'm going to put the mini octopus on (he hadn't been painted yet! I think he will have crystals for eyes!) instead of a seahorse this time (I haven't finished painting the seahorse yet either....he needs a gold crown :)

if you look very closely......you can see the interference blue on top of the white scales....it makes them shine blue! It looks very fishy! :) I love the interference colors

Mermaid Cecelia
01-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Ooooooooooo I like the little octopus! He's so cute!

spottedcatfish
01-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Pretty tops!!

Mermaid Melanie
01-07-2014, 04:50 AM
that octo is soooo beautifully done ! amazing :D ! x

Fifi Tigg
01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Beautiful! I love the first top but with an octopus :mermaid kiss:

Mer_Adella
01-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm so glad that someone used an interference color so we could see what it looked like :) i think i will be buying some of those. beautiful tops jessica :)

Jessica
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I love my little octopus too! I'm planning on making a larger one to go on scale tops soon!

Adella,

the interference colors are really neat! The pictures do not do it justice! They really shine in the light :)

PearlieMae
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Is it just me or are the photos upside down?

Jessica
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Is it just me or are the photos upside down?

That's weird.....they're right side up for me! Does anyone else have this problem?

Aziara
01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
yeah, the pics of the blue and white top are upsidedown. *shrugs*. I just turned my head sideways to look at them, lol :lol:

Meemerdd
01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Eva's are right-side up, but everything else is upside down.

Jessica
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Is this right side up?

PearlieMae
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Bingo!

Jessica
01-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Bingo!

Great! Thanks for letting me know! I don't know what went wrong there! Here are the rest so you can won't get a crick in your neck looking at my pics!

Mermaid Oshun
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
beautiful tops!

Mer_Adella
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
now on those pictures you just posted...is that interference blue showing in the corners near the side of the boobage or is that a light blue color?

Jessica
01-07-2014, 09:08 PM
now on those pictures you just posted...is that interference blue showing in the corners near the side of the boobage or is that a light blue color?

Its painted light blue on the sides. The interference colors don't change the color of the scales....they just make them shine different colors. If you look at the close up of the octopus, you can see the white scales shining blue :) it's a subtle effect, but it really like it! :)

Mer_Adella
01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I saw in that picture of the interference shining a blue :) and waht I like about the pale blue on the sides is that if you were to do that on the inside of the cups as well (between the breasts) it gives the effect of shadowing which in turn makes things look bigger lol. found that out by accident and have passed it on

Jessica
01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
^^ awesome tip Adella!! :)

i finished Eva's scale top! I will have pictures posted tomorrow....it's too dark to get a decent picture of the whole top right now :)

i added a few tiny crystals in the points of a couple scales :

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Niiiice! I love that look and am doing it on my tail!

Jessica
01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Niiiice! I love that look and am doing it on my tail!

;) I got this idea from you! (Ms. Pearlie mermaid Barbie!) they look great, and they feel pretty secure too :)

Jessica
01-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Shipping today! :)

Ariel-Starfish
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Pretty!!!!!

PearlieMae
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
So pretty!

Ilyena
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
The bracelet is soo cute ^_^.

Jessica
01-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much you guys!

I'm making a mini octopus bracelet soon too! :)

i can't wait to see Eva in her top! :)

Jessica
01-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Just finished up this one! It's so sparkly in person!

Aino Revontuletar
01-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Wow that looks incredible! I have a question though - how do you wash these sorts of tops? It seems to me like it would be sifficult to wash and to dry

Mermaid Dottie
01-12-2014, 01:51 AM
I'm in love!
I just bought a sports bra to use for a latex sculpted top...
But I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it... any ideas, Jess?

Jessica
01-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow that looks incredible! I have a question though - how do you wash these sorts of tops? It seems to me like it would be sifficult to wash and to dry

Hi aino!

You only rinse the silicone part of the top....that would remove any dirt....as for the bra part....I'm not entirely sure. You might be able to soak it for awhile in warm (not hot) water to remove any dirt.....I'll have to find out if there's a gentle soap that would be ok to use near silicone. I know that some mers use a little bit of baking soda in a bath to soak tails in after being in chlorine.....something like that might work, but honestly I'm just not sure about the proper way to clean them. I'll have to do some research!

Dottie,

can you post a picture of the sports bra? Does it just have fabric for cups or molded cups? I haven't worked with latex before, but the process should be similar! :)

Aino Revontuletar
01-13-2014, 12:11 AM
I assume you would need to wash it often, particularly after swimming. I have another question though: being silicone, does it stick to your hair and pull it? I read somewhere on here that it was problematic in that way and if that was true I might reconsider making a full top out of silicone

Jadestone
01-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Jessica these are BEAUTIFUL!! I may not have money for a tail right now but I am DEFINITELY going to order a top from you when I can!!! These are really stunning :)

Winged Mermaid
01-15-2014, 04:26 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread before! Wow, these look amazing! For $85 I might be tempted.. :thinks:

Mermaid Kelda
01-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Jessica, is it possible to make one of your tops without the bra? Has anyone tried pure-silicone tops for larger busts? I know Raven does some, but I don't think I've heard how well they support something like a 34DD+.

-Annwyn-
01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Has anyone tried pure-silicone tops for larger busts? I know Raven does some, but I don't think I've heard how well they support something like a 34DD+.

Oh man, the cash I would spent on the costumer who could create a top for bustier mers like me! @.@; And if it was for a top like this one, ohhhhh boy. Yep yep, sold. XD

PearlieMae
01-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Where would you need the most support? Shoulder straps or cuppage or both?

Jessica
01-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks Jade! :)

iona, if you ever want me to make you a top.....you get a discount as a thank you for all your hard work keeping this site going! :)

melaina,

i think raven uses bras for all her tops, but I'm not 100% sure. I think a bra would be necessary for support with larger sizes.....silicone isn't very supportive by itself, and I think you would want the support of a bra.

Annwyn,
I'm willing to make tops in any size! I'm starting one today that's a 34D, halter style. The halter style is great for extra support :)

Eva's top is very supportive. It has halter straps and a regular bra strap under the scales. I tried it on to check the fit and on me it actually acts as a massive push up bra between the silicone halter strap and the bra strap! I think the halter style is great for larger sizes for additional support, or you can always just wear clear straps with a strapless style :)

PearlieMae
01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Good to know, Jessica! Flattly McFlat (me) doesn't get the logistics of ample bosomage.

I was six months pregnant before mine ever touched each other. I thought there was bug in my shirt!

Mermaid Kelda
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
melaina,

i think raven uses bras for all her tops, but I'm not 100% sure. I think a bra would be necessary for support with larger sizes.....silicone isn't very supportive by itself, and I think you would want the support of a bra.
Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that she had at least one without a bra (something about it being the most comfortable top she owned). I could very well be wrong though! It might be that she hasn't made one for larger cups.
I guess I'm just thinking of ways to bypass the bra so the top is easier to clean. I can just imagine mould having its way where the bra meets the silicone, where you can't actually clean. But again, what do I know xD would something other than a bra work? Hard plastic cups, maybe?

Jessica
01-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Good to know, Jessica! Flattly McFlat (me) doesn't get the logistics of ample bosomage.

I was six months pregnant before mine ever touched each other. I thought there was bug in my shirt!

Time for you to make a halter top pearlie! I'm only a b cup and the halter really pushes them up and together! :)

melaina,

i dont think you would need to worry about mold with a top. My pink top is a really padded bra and it dries just fine! You would just need to make sure the top dried completely before putting it away. :)

i dont think hard plastic cups would be very comfy. You can make a molded top out of silicone and use fabric bra cups inside for extra support. If you completely cover the fabric on both sides with silicone, there's absolutely no worry of mold! :)

Aino Revontuletar
01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
So you basically just rinse the top out with water and let it dry?

Ashton
01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm so excited for my top and shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jessica
01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm so excited for my top and shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

me too! I'm working on them right now! :)

Anahita
01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Where would you need the most support? Shoulder straps or cuppage or both?

For me, it's cups. Because my boobs weigh about 10 pounds I think... You can see how straps are just going to be painful if the cuppage is not up to par - they'll just dig into your skin and make your shoulders support the weight on tiny strings, which, in my personal experience, has never been pleasant. The cups and band should be what's holding the boobs up. The straps should be holding the top of the bra in place. To prevent the gaping and flapping that happens when you move or swim.

I'm an extreme case though. I think people with less than my bra size would probably be less prone to the issues... Like F cups probably have a bigger cushion for error than JJ cups.... the band and cups might be able to be a bit less supportive if the straps are there to offer support.

Don't know if that'll help anyone in the future, but it's something to keep in mind when making stuff for boobilicious mers.

Mer-Crazy
01-17-2014, 05:09 AM
So I've looked over all your tails you've done so far, just gonna say first off that they're awesome. Do you have a facebook page for the tail making? I'm not sure if you just make them or sell them because I just looked at the pretty pictures haha.

Jessica
01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
So I've looked over all your tails you've done so far, just gonna say first off that they're awesome. Do you have a facebook page for the tail making? I'm not sure if you just make them or sell them because I just looked at the pretty pictures haha.

Hi selene!
i don't have a Facebook page yet! (:) I'm still living in the Stone Age!) I do sell tails and take one tail order at a time. I love working with silicone and tailmaking is a lot of fun :)

I've been working on a design for a kids scale top and I think I finally have the design right!

It will be a halter style...I just haven't added the straps yet! This top is for my little mermaid and I'm hoping to finish it up today:

PearlieMae
01-30-2014, 12:11 PM
I LOVE IT! The color gradation is lovely!

Jessica
01-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks pearlie! I have a very excited little mermaid on my hands!

Mermaid Dottie
01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
That is SO CUTE!

Ariel-Starfish
01-30-2014, 02:52 PM
me too! I'm working on them right now! :)

Oooh! What type of shoes? I may be intrested go! :D

Fifi Tigg
01-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Love the cute little top :) xx

Jessica
01-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks so much everyone! She can't wait for me to start her silicone tail!!

Oooh! What type of shoes? I may be intrested go! :D

Hi Ariel! Ashton started a thread for her scale heels I made her! http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?7155-Mermaid-scale-heels!!!!!&highlight=Scale+shoes

Ariel-Starfish
01-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks! <3

Jessica
01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Kids top! I haven't finished painting yet and I still need to attach the octopus, but it's all assembled! :) the seams are under the arms so they really aren't noticeable at all! :)

Mermaid Dottie
01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
SO CUTE!

teeth4u
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
AAAHH Love it! :dance:

Mizuko
01-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Omg that is adorably awesome! hehe! :D

Winged Mermaid
01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Adorbz!

thevirginiamermaid
01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
thats freaking sweet jessica!! you're inspiring me to make silicone tops now

PearlieMae
01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
So cute!

Ilyena
01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
That is amazing, there's not many options for children's tops out there. So cute ^_^

Ashton
01-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Very cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ariadne
01-30-2014, 09:24 PM
That is just presh! Love Love Love!

Jessica
02-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks so much for all the comments everyone!! My little mermaid is very happy with her top! She actually changed her mind and wanted a turtle instead, but I think it's even cuter!

Here are a couple tops I just finished(shipped them out to their new home yesterday!) if you look really close in one of the pics, you can see a silicone starfish ring :)

I also have a really awesome blue top (for a really great mer with blue scale heels!) I'm finishing up in the next day or two.....pictures coming soon!

Mizuko
02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
ahhh I love those tops Jessica! :D The halter style/colour is just beautiful!!

Fifi Tigg
02-25-2014, 06:24 PM
I love the halter style adult top! It looks so comfy and supportive :D

Jessica
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks mizuko!

I love the halter style adult top! It looks so comfy and supportive :D

its really comfy and very supportive! I'm only a b cup and the halter style definitely gives me more cleavage than I've ever had with any bra ;)

PearlieMae
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM
That halter style is awesome!

and I LOVE the turtle top! Adorable!

MermaidMyrthe
02-26-2014, 03:35 AM
OMG Jessica! You are so talented! Are you selling those? ;) Hehehehehehe :p i am just so impressed that i am drooling over my laptop right now!

Jessica
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
OMG Jessica! You are so talented! Are you selling those? ;) Hehehehehehe :p i am just so impressed that i am drooling over my laptop right now!

Hi myrthe!
thanks! :) I do sell them, but i can't take any top orders for a couple weeks---I have to get caught up! I've been swamped lately!

Here's Ashton's new blue halter top with a mini octopus! I really love the color!!

Merman Arion
03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
@Jessica Mer

I suggest adding swarovski cristals on your tops to make them shiny. What do you think? :)

PearlieMae
03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
She does, Arion!

I love the ghostly octopus!

Ashton
03-07-2014, 12:23 PM
So pretty, I cant wait to wear it! :swoon:

MerEmma
03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I saw earlier in the thread discussing bras and support...I believe the band provides about 70-80% of the support in your bra and should be tight enough to give you that support. Most people have really loose bands though and don't get as much support as they should. ):

MermaidMyrthe
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Soo prettyyyyyyyyyyy :drool:

Mermaid Adriel
03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
How cute X3

SeaNymph
03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
I saw earlier in the thread discussing bras and support...I believe the band provides about 70-80% of the support in your bra and should be tight enough to give you that support. Most people have really loose bands though and don't get as much support as they should. ): That´s right. The bra and it´s content should not hang down ;-) But your bra, Jessica is beautiful and from what I saw from your pictures it fits perfectly! Great work!

Jessica
03-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Arion, great minds think alike! I love to add crystals to my tops :)

thank you SeaNymph, Claudia and mermaid myrthe!

meremma, it is important for the band to fit correctly, but when it comes to bras and larger sizes, the best band in the world isn't going to keep a strapless bra in place while swimming. The silicone halter strap adds a ton of support by keeping the band where it should be, and it acts as a push-up too---a massive push-up if you make the halter strap really tight!

Moongazer
03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Wow. I'd love to know if a one shoulder strap is possible? And if so, I'd love to place an order!

Kumori Kitsune
03-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Aw so pretty and cute

MerEmma
04-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Arion, great minds think alike! I love to add crystals to my tops :)

thank you SeaNymph, Claudia and mermaid myrthe!

meremma, it is important for the band to fit correctly, but when it comes to bras and larger sizes, the best band in the world isn't going to keep a strapless bra in place while swimming. The silicone halter strap adds a ton of support by keeping the band where it should be, and it acts as a push-up too---a massive push-up if you make the halter strap really tight!

I didn't mean my comment to you specifically, just mostly to everyone haha! Your tops look like they fit really well. :)

Pascal21M
04-07-2014, 03:33 AM
How much was the kids top?

Lois
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Wow the Halter tops are incredible well done Jess, have you thought about selling the sheets of silicone scales so people can make their own tops or even sew their own tails?

MermaidxTalia
04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Lovely work. I'm very impressed!

Pascal21M
04-12-2014, 09:41 AM
How much was the kids top Jessica?

Mermaid Jaffa
04-16-2014, 02:48 AM
How much something like this cost? With wider straps.

Meilyn
04-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Hi myrthe!
thanks! :) I do sell them, but i can't take any top orders for a couple weeks---I have to get caught up! I've been swamped lately!

Here's Ashton's new blue halter top with a mini octopus! I really love the color!!

:drool: Oh, it didn't show picture in my quotes...

Samantha Siren
04-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Hi Jessica, I am very interested in one of your tops and ready to order as soon as you have a free space. I sent you a PM but your mailbox is full!
Speak soon xxx

Jessica
04-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Moongazer,
Yes a one shoulder strap is possible:) I'm not taking any top orders just yet though--I'm catching up on tails still but hope to take a few top orders in a month or so

Lois,
I'm not planning on selling sheets of scales, but other tailmakers might:)

ireneho,
a top like that would use a good bit more silicone than a regular halter. I can give you a more accurate price if you want to send me a pm with your size so I can estimate the materials:)

samantha,
i just cleaned out my inbox so you should be able to pm me now:) I'll let you know when I can take some new orders!

I posted this on Facebook a while back, but forgot to put it in here. This is mermaid Goldie's scale top:

Mizuko
04-28-2014, 10:18 PM
so pretty!! XD

Mermaid Jaffa
04-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jessica! Sent you a pm.

PearlieMae
04-29-2014, 12:29 AM
You are one busy mer girl! :mermaid kiss:

Kishiko
05-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi Jessica! I'm actually doing some research to start a latex scale top but I have some questions...

-About how much silicone do you use for one scale sheet?
-I'm really confused on how to tint/paint the material. When do you do this step? Do you airbrush? Help!

MermaidBonnie
05-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Great job Jessica! I know I'm going to be a future client of yours in buying tops and armor :)

Mermaid Meredith
05-07-2014, 11:18 PM
How did you get that color? And who makes it?

MermaidBrandie
05-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Could you make silicone starfish? Just the starfish? I found some on etsy made by another mer on here, but I'd like them to be 2 colors and she only does them in one color...

Silin
09-26-2014, 06:13 PM
these tops are really sweet