PDA

View Full Version : Cod evening, everyone

ScheherazOdd
09-24-2011, 12:51 AM
The name is Maddie and I'm currently residing in Boca Raton, Florida. Eh...not sure what to write here. My favorite mermaid movie of all time would be the criminally-underrated She Creature, and my favorite mermaid book thus far is Lost Voices by Sarah Porter. I guess it's obvious that I like my mermaids edgy, the kind that couldn't give two figs about being human and when confronted with a half-drowned Prince, would more likely eat him.

I swim frequently--used to do synchronized swimming but I didn't really have the patience for it, besides I had much more fun diving to the bottom of the 20 foot deep pool and hunting around for jewelry things that other swimmers had dropped. From swimming in Peace River I have an impressive collection of fossilized shark teeth, and ocean swims have yielded such treasures as petrified turtle remains and a metric shit-ton of beach glass, even a few glass net floats.

All my life my family's done a lot of traveling throughout the southest, so I pretty much grew up hopping between lakes, rivers, and the ocean. As for what inspires me to get in touch with my inner mermaid...I guess it's just a natural fascination with the underwater world. Looking out over the ocean never fails to make me feel enormously sad and wistful, knowing there's so much of beneath the surface that I'll never get to see or explore.

I did get subjected to Disney's The Little Mermaid as a child, but I never cared for it, which is a little ironic because I dye my hair bright red and have had more than one little girl point at me and shout, "Ariel!" I think I disliked the movie because it was about Ariel becoming human, and I wanted to see her have adventures as a mermaid. At least there was the TV show, which, yes, was kind of my whole world when I was a kid.

Fun fact: When I was a kid, everyone who encountered me would ask my mom if she named me Madison after the mermaid in Splash. She didn't, I'm named after one of her aunts, but yeah, maybe this has some connection with me growing up to self-identify as a mermaid.

I have not yet been able to afford making a tail, not mention all the makeup, prosthetics, and equipment I have planned, but I do already have my monofin and I swim in it every chance I get, which is forcing me to get over my distaste for public pools. Pools in general tend to gross me out, actually, because of the chlorine. I guess I've been spoiled by my natural-swimming childhood.

Yeah. So....hi.

Aquatica
09-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Cod day to you as well Maddie

welcome to the board.
I agree
I have not read Lost Voices by Sarah Porter. I will seek it out today when I head to white ave.
It would have been nice to see a little more of the mermaid side of things. I as well wanted to see more adventures as a mermaid and not the human stuff. They need to make a movie where a human becomes a mermaid and has to adapt to life under water. That would rock.

I just finish coming back from a Halloween store and looking at your sig. I hear her screaming as volts of electricity shock her.
Bzzzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzzz Bzzzzzzz
I do not mean to make offence over it...I just see things diff some time.
It is Very kewl and I like it.
Welcome once again.

AniaR
09-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Maddie welcome to the forum. I love your sig image. Haha did you see the black and white video of Gaga just as the mermaid? It's cool.

Alveric
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
"They need to make a movie where a human becomes a mermaid and has to adapt to life under water. That would rock." ​Auquatica

If Hannah's Tale ever gets to the screen, you'll have to see it.

Welcome home Maddie.

Alveric