PDA

View Full Version : Painting Finis Wave?

Mermaid Kiba
12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello merfriends! Please forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere. I didn't find it with a search.

I don't think I'm ready for a proper tail yet, but I wanted to do something to help me feel mermaidier. I have a Finis Wave and while I love it, I don't love its color. I was thinking of getting some swim leggings and painting my fin to match. I found this advice on painting polyethylene (http://www.ehow.com/how_8528586_paint-polyethylene-products.html). Do you think that would work? I know the paint might scratch off and I don't mind. I'm mainly worried that sanding the fin will make it not work as well.

Thoughts?

Seatan
12-16-2013, 01:02 AM
I don't think sanding it will hinder its use. Like you said, paint may scratch off, but it certainly won't hinder a monofin any more (or as much as) the fabrics and stuff we cover them with to make tails. Just my opinion, but I think you should be fine. You may have a hard time painting the straps, though. You will probably have to leave those black...

Ashton
12-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Enamel like One Shot will do a good job, you could lightly sand it and it will stick better. But One Shot will do the trick for sure.

BayouMermaid
12-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Krylon makes a spray paint for plastics. I think it is called Krylon Fusion. Some people have used it in aquarium applications (even though it isn't officially rated for this), so it should hold up well in water.

Mermaid Kiba
12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the ideas, everybody! Seavanna, I was torn between going with gray or black for the leggings and paint anyway, so I'll just go with black. BayouMermaid,​ that's amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Echidna
01-30-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm planning to paint my Rapid and Competitor fins, but I don't want to sand them, just put a paint on them that'll hold up in water.
Has anyone tried this, and if yes, was it successful?

Edit: I'm only going to paint the plastic/fiberglass blades, not the straps or rubber footpockets.