PDA

View Full Version : How much pigment?

LaNyah
12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
I am using the pearl ex pigment. I want to tint my scale sheet, but I have no idea how much I'll need. I am planning to tint with the white.

Any estimate?

Jessica
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
The ratio is 10:1 ten parts silicone to one part pigment. How much you use really depends on how much you're mixing up at once. You actually can take into consideration how thick you are pouring your silicone too....very thin scales will need more pigment to get a good color than thicker scales.

i usually mix up two or four cups of silicone at a time.....either one cup a/one cup b or two cups a/two cups b. I brush my scales with a paintbrush....you get really good scales this way and eliminate waste and air bubbles!

When I mix two cups, I usually just toss 1-2 teaspoons of white pigment in. I really just eyeball it! :)

hope this helps!

Elle
12-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Good info to know. When I get around to making my tail, I plan on using pearl Ex. I just finished my scale box, it's just a case of buying silicone, pigment and clay now

LaNyah
12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you! Now I can calculate if I have enough or not even close. :)

LaNyah
12-20-2013, 08:19 AM
...not even close.

WOW! That is a lot more pigment than I have.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/ratios.php

Is that ratio to MIXED A&B or is it doubled ie. 10:1 for A and 10:1 for B as well?

PearlieMae
12-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Eyeball it. Pearl Ex is sooo light, you'll never need that much! and it's 10:1 mixed. The white goes a long way.

Jessica is doing it right, mixing small amounts and painting it on!

BayouMermaid
03-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Is there a difference in ratios between powdered and liquid pigments? How much pigment is needed so that the tail is not see through?