PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sea World aloud to have dolphins and Orcas?

SaltwaterRoom
12-21-2013, 01:17 AM
I know that watching a documentary it focuses on on side more than the other. But, after watching "Blackfish" it makes me angry that Sea World is still open. With the information provided about orca's being so emotionally advanced and how they have in their own form different cultures and languages like humans. Can they keep this place open? Also its so dangerous for the people who work with these animals. Yes, trainers and workers can't swim with the whales anymore. Given the track record I would be scared (Insert foul language here plus the word "less")

I can only give my personal onion on this but these animals should be put back into the ocean. Yes, zoo's are bad too. But you have to start somewhere before you can fix anything else. Yes people can say its educational. But there are lots of other ways to educate people on topics.

Also if you'd like to leave your option on what you think feel free!

I guess I would like people to give their option and to give me concert reasons why Sea World should be left open. Please be respectful and if you don't have anything productive to say in a respectful manner don't post anything.

Blondie
12-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Well, I know someone who has been trying to get a job at Sea World for a very long time. So they know some things. I asked her about Blackfish and she told me it might be true, but they don't have a ton of solid proof. Some of the animals there are rescued. Some cannot function in the wild so they're taken care of there. I'm not saying this is true for all animals but that's a reason some of them are there.

SaltwaterRoom
12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
That makes sense, but why not put then in a wildlife conservation? There are parts of the ocean that for those purposes. Making them still do tricks and live in a pod that isn't their own isn't okay. Yes "Blackfish" is mainly first person accounts and it tells of all the accidents that have happened. But, from those accounts that is really scary. Whales killing each other over frustration, lunging out at trainers. Killing their trainers. You couldn't pay me enough to even go near a orca. I'm not saying sea world mis treats their animals at all. I'm sure they are well feed and look after as far as medical care goes. (Or they would of been shut down for those reasons) and in "Blackfish" the former trainers never blamed the orca they blamed themselves and sea world for not telling the truth about these accidents and saying how dangerous it was to be essentially playing with a massive sea creature that is very intelligent.

Thank you for your feed back :)

Blondie
12-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh I mean, I do have my beef with Sea World xD Don't get me wrong on that. I think the shows are wrong.

The person I know trying to get a job there told me something interesting on that the whales have killed trainers in the past. She told me, "Well, people die in car accidents every day but it doesn't stop you from driving."

Seatan
12-21-2013, 11:25 PM
That makes sense, but why not put then in a wildlife conservation? There are parts of the ocean that for those purposes. Making them still do tricks and live in a pod that isn't their own isn't okay. Yes "Blackfish" is mainly first person accounts and it tells of all the accidents that have happened. But, from those accounts that is really scary. Whales killing each other over frustration, lunging out at trainers. Killing their trainers. You couldn't pay me enough to even go near a orca. I'm not saying sea world mis treats their animals at all. I'm sure they are well feed and look after as far as medical care goes. (Or they would of been shut down for those reasons) and in "Blackfish" the former trainers never blamed the orca they blamed themselves and sea world for not telling the truth about these accidents and saying how dangerous it was to be essentially playing with a massive sea creature that is very intelligent. :)

It is still open because it makes money and provides slightly better care for the orcas than circuses did for their elephants and lions (hence it being illegal for circuses to have these animals anymore). The issue is not big enough politically for politicians to step in--they prefer to take a stance on causes that will effect their votes, like gay marriage and abortion, and stay out of issues that are not as important to the public. Lots of people are in dangerous jobs, and the government doesn't protect them all. I would assume that trainers also have to sign some kind of liability release to be allowed to work with these animals; I know zookeepers do. Also, it costs a lot of money to put these animals in wildlife conservations, while they make money at SeaWorld. You need some real philanthropist backing for ocean pens and conservations, and you only get that in cases like Keiko's, which unfortunately did not turn out well.

It should also be noted that most people do not consider cetaceans to be as intelligent as we ocean lovers tend to. They are simply animals to most people, and as long as they are fed and taken care of, that should be enough. People have a hard time understanding the difference between domesticated and wild animals. Dogs are domesticated. Wolves are not. Wolves will, ultimately, revert back to their wild habits 99% of the time, while most dogs would have a rough time surviving in the wild. Monkeys, for example, make TERRIBLE pets because they are NOT domesticated AND because they are highly intelligent. Most people don't give a crap, though, because a money wearing a suit and a fez is so damn cute.

In the end, dealing with animal abuse takes a back seat in the political realm to other issues. And as for the working conditions of the trainers, well, when you have human trafficking to stop I doubt dealing with a dangerous job tons of people are dying to get is considered a priority. It's dangerous to do a lot of things, but we let people do them if they want to.

Overall, it is very wrong and they deserve to be in wildlife habitats, but it's gonna take a while. This film will blow over and people will still go to SeaWorld. With any luck, eventually it will be decreed that SeaWorld, like traveling circuses, cannot keep wild animals in an unnatural habitat. But until then, all you can do it make little steps.