PDA

View Full Version : Table/Furniture Vinyl for "Fringe"?

Miyu
12-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey folks! I just unearthed a rather large quantity of clear vinyl sheeting at my house... It's the stuff used to cover tables, couches, etc... Just clear, no ridges, no colour, no "frost". I would say it's of a medium thickness.

I don't have easy access to a pool to do any testing right now. How do you fine folks think it would work for fringe/fins?

I was even considering sandwiching my delicate fluke fabric inbetween some vinyl to protect it (the fabric is semi-sheer, thin, and I'm pretty sure it's a knit, and from what I can tell likes to rip easily). Can you "laminate" (by heat) any vinyl, or should I attempt some glue swatches?

Mermaid Tula
12-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Not sure about heating it, so I would try out gluing pieces to see how well they stick, if the glue fogs up the vinyl, etc.

Miyu
12-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Okie Dokie. :) I finally got some more E-6000 today (Wal-Mart was out earlier this week!), so I'll make up some swatches today.

I had heard of people making fairy wings by ironing together vinyl and that crinkly cellophane stuff, I don't remember it being specific as to whether it was iron-on lamination vinyl or regular table cover vinyl, so I had just guessed it was the stuff I have, because it looks like it would make for sturdy wings. I'll try pulling up those tutorials again and having a look-see.

Miyu
12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Here's the fairy wing tutorial I saw where she specifically said to use table cover type vinyl and to iron it: http://www.freewebs.com/faeriemuse/constructiontutorial.htm

I'll be pulling out the iron tomorrow and testing this with some scraps. I'll also glue some scraps as well, but I really want the iron to work so it sort of laminates the delicate fabric.

I think I'll also make up a chlorine test in a glass to see if it reacts with watered-down bleach.

Miyu
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Aha! Ok, I figured out what I'm doing with this stuff. Instead of "fringe", I'm using it to make some sort-of realistic pink fins for my red stretch velvet tail. It's looking pretty awesome right now, even though everything I tried to do did not turn out as planned. I don't have much in the way of materials so I'm just plugging through it anyways and enjoying the organic results I'm getting.

Miyu
01-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Note to anyone who wants to fuse things with vinyl - cellophane will actually fuse. Apparently, the synthetic fabric am using in between will not. It left me with an interesting effect, though - somewhere between fins and the "membrane" from PotC4 mermaids... Because the vinyl fused just fine with itself, sort of cocooning the fabric in the middle.