PDA

View Full Version : Preventing, and killing, mold in a silicone tail

AniaR
12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
So I've spoken a lot about cleaning your tail in other threads and in my book, but I wanted to talk specifically about the issues of mold growing in pure silicone tails.

Mold can be prevented by making sure your tail is dry inside, lessening whatever deterioration you can (that's rinsing chlorine off, chlorine will eat away at silicone making it more porous which means more places for mold to grow), and cleaning with things specifically made for silicone. I usually rinse with warm water and gentle soap, then I spray with silicone sex toy cleaner. Why? because sex toy cleaner kills mold and other bacteria without harming the silicone. Then I wipe the inside of my tail dry as best as I can, and then I put two or three pool noodles inside my tail to prop it open and let air get all the way in. Note, I'm talking about full silicone tails, not partial. I would not use a boot dryer on a full silicone tail. But if you can manage to prop your tail up, a fan helps too.

It pays to take proper care of your tail. It means less deterioration and stress on the tail. If you don't, you'll get cracks in the scales, you could possibly get holes, weak spots, and most certainly, mold.

What happens when you get mold? Your tail might stink. but also, you can get serious rashes on your skin. How do I know? I found out the hard way. I had been using my tail for over a year before I first got mold. It was my fault, I'd gotten sick right after a gig and didn't clean and dry my own tail. My merwrangler rinsed it and then just laid it out with nothing done to dry the inside. He didn't know any better. The next time I put my tail on, I didn't smell anything, but I got a huge terrible rash all over my legs and butt. I rolled my tail down, and sure enough, all in the seams- black mold! I tried a few things to scrub it out- but getting mold out of seams and out from under mesh? Not exactly easy. I was scared about what solutions to use to clean it. I tried my sex toy cleaner which is great at preventing mold, but it obviously didn't kill it once it got this bad.

So, I called smooth on! I explained the situation and that I wanted to know what was the most effective thing for killing mold, that wouldnt destroy the silicone. They told meIsopropyl alcohol and it worked like a charm. So now, I use it once a month as regular maintenance.

Even though the mold was dead, it was impossible to get it out of the seams. So to prevent it from regrowing and collecting in the seams, I bought some silicone, rolled the tail down, and simply re-siliconed the seams right over the dead mold.

After doing all that, it didn't happen again :)

There are certain areas of your tail that will be easier places to grow mold. That's the seams, and hard to reach places like your foot pockets and ankle area. But if you can keep it under wraps you'll extend the life of your tail.

Tails aren't indestructible, and they will weather over time, no matter how great they've been made. So do yourself a favour and care for it properly :)

Mermaid Oshun
12-27-2013, 09:33 AM
that's great to know Raina! Rubbing alcohol to remove mold! Be careful w/ that though. I use it to get off stray paint when making tails so it can also dissolve the coating if used too much... can be sort of like fingernail polish remover on a tail!

AniaR
12-27-2013, 09:49 AM
yes I diluted mine with water, and only used for the inside of the tail :)

Seatan
12-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Great info! Thanks for all these tutorials-- I definitely feel they will help me keep my tail fit!

Merman Arion
12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
I would not use a boot dryer on a full silicone tail. But if you can manage to prop your tail up, a fan helps too.

Why not a boot dryer? BlueMermaid said that it works like a charm.

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1646-Tail-Drying

I usually rinse with warm water and gentle soap, then I spray with silicone sex toy cleaner.

"Warm water"? Didn't Iona said to always rince the tail, no matter the materal, with FRESH water immediately?

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4402-How-to-deal-with-chlorine-s-negative-effects

While i trust your opinion, Raina, i'm just confused as i'm looking for the right things to do when i will get my silicone tail.

AniaR
12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Why not a boot dryer? BlueMermaid said that it works like a charm. that's for ones with neoprene (a fabric) lining. Too much heat on straight silicone will melt it.

"Warm water"? Didn't Iona said to always rince the tail, no matter the materal, with FRESH water immediately? my warm water is fresh water? it's not salt water :p

Merman Arion
12-27-2013, 02:21 PM
that's for ones with neoprene (a fabric) lining. Too much heat on straight silicone will melt it.

Really? BlueMermaid is drying her silicone tail from MVD and no problem so far has occured. At least, that's what it looks like in the previous thread.

my warm water is fresh water? it's not salt water :p

I was asking because of this quote from Iona :

"Every mermaid tail, no matter what it's made of, should be rinsed with cold fresh water, inside and out, as soon as possible after each use. Avoid warm or hot water, as this can do further damage to the material. You can rinse your tail with a garden hose, a shower hose, or a tub faucet. "

AniaR
12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Really? BlueMermaid is drying her silicone tail from MVD and no problem so far has occured. At least, that's what it looks like in the previous thread.

I think she's has multiple problems with all of her tails cracking and paint etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why. I personally wouldn't do it. But this isn't the mermaid bible. It's up to you to decide what you think is right for your tail, this is based off my own experience and consulting my tail maker and smooth on. Same goes for cold/warm water. I wouldn't use HOT water. But it's hard to scrub your tail in ice cold water.

Merman Arion
12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
I think she's has multiple problems with all of her tails cracking and paint etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why. I personally wouldn't do it. But this isn't the mermaid bible. It's up to you to decide what you think is right for your tail, this is based off my own experience and consulting my tail maker and smooth on. Same goes for cold/warm water. I wouldn't use HOT water. But it's hard to scrub your tail in ice cold water.

So, if i get what you're saying, as long as the heat is reasonable, warm water shouldn't be an issue for rincing and scrubing the tail?

AniaR
12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
as long as it's reasonable yeah, I mean when you swim in a pool it's WARM water typically.

SeaNymph
12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Oh wow, good thread! Same story here, using my silicone tail heavily over a year, sometimes too tired after a gig to dry out my tail properly and tail was stinking. First I thought this is normal but then I got some rashes on my feet and legs, and I detected.... black mold. Jippieh :-( Isopropyl alcohol sounds a good advice, do you use it and leave it in the tail or do you rinse the tail out with fresh water after use?

AniaR
12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I dilute mine with water and use a spray bottle, I spray the inside til it's saturated and let it sit for 5 minutes. If the mold is really bad sometimes you hear sizzling! then I rinse and dry! Just remember it'll kill the mold, but you'll still see it. It doesn't bleach it either.

SeaNymph
12-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Great, thanks!!! I will try that procedure :-)

SeaGlass Siren
12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks For the info ;-; will need it

Mermaid Oshun
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Regarding scrubbing, silicone is fragile and the color is under a thin top coat. Also Dragonskin 10 is like a gummie bear. So you can imagine the destruction you'd cause if you scrubbed a gummie bear. There should be no reason to scrub a tail on the painted surface unless youre trying to destroy it and remove the paint. Surely no one would want to do that so be gentle

AniaR
12-28-2013, 12:06 PM
I only scrub the inside ;)

Jessica
12-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Regarding scrubbing, silicone is fragile and the color is under a thin top coat. Also Dragonskin 10 is like a gummie bear. So you can imagine the destruction you'd cause if you scrubbed a gummie bear. There should be no reason to scrub a tail on the painted surface unless youre trying to destroy it and remove the paint. Surely no one would want to do that so be gentle

I agree...be gentle with silicone! But just to clarify, dragonskin 10 is shore A, not shore 00. Dragonskin only comes in shore A. Dragonskin 10 is just a little softer than a rubberband and is not gummy bear texture. :)

see here:

Mermaid Oshun
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
It can feel gummy bear texture where its thin because shorehardness is relative to thickness. And to be honest, I can barely feel the difference between a gummy bear and a rubber band

AniaR
12-28-2013, 05:47 PM
My tail is cast thin so I'm always careful

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BlueMermaid
04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure where you got this information but this is not true. Only my FlipTail had peeling paint, and that was a second layer of paint that was added that didn't adhear properly, it had nothing to do with the dryer. My Merbella tail has problems with the scales coming apart from the liner, but Raven said that is a common problem people were having, especially near the waist. My Mertailor tail had some paint coming off, but so did the other girls who work with me and don't use the dryer. Just wanted to clarify that.

The boot dryer actually doesn't create that much heat. It's a very, very low heat. I don't use it every time I try my tail, sometimes I just lay it on the floor and prop it open so the air gets in and let it air dry. But the boot dryer dries it out faster and from my experience, is safe to use. If you do use one, I suggest being very careful, make sure you get the posts in correctly and prop the tail carefully. You do not want the dryer pressing on any silicone parts, make sure it is only held up by the monofin.

AniaR
04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Good to know sorry for misinformation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk