PDA

View Full Version : Remember, we all gotta start somewhere!

AniaR
12-27-2013, 03:13 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/cc039e0f750c0ea9faee6761ef4ad87b/tumblr_myheliHIuv1r0wgkuo1_500.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/cc039e0f750c0ea9faee6761ef4ad87b/tumblr_myheliHIuv1r0wgkuo1_500.jpg (http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/art/Mermaid-in-Water-with-Kids-252878773)
Mermaid in Water with Kids (http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/art/Mermaid-in-Water-with-Kids-252878773) by RainaMermaid

(http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/)

This was from my first ever news article. I gotta tell you, I was barely off the ground as a mermaid, when I got contacted for my first media appearance. I often wish it had happened later when I was more established. You can see here I’ve got bad roots (they literally contacted me a day before we went out, no time to do hair), no one was really making swimmable tops back then so I’m wearing a black bikini top? LOL. My old crappy tail that fell apart and I could BARELY swim in, and my one necklace.

I share it, because so many mermaids think they need to have everything perfect before launching their business. Believe me, I’d have rather they seen me with my normal hair colour, all my awesome accessories, my cool tops, and my best tail… but hey. If I waited it woulda been another 2 years! As it stands, this helped launch my career and led to all that stuff.
So when you see all my stuff and think it came so easy, remember it didn’t! Remember we all gotta start somewhere ;)

deepblue
12-27-2013, 06:01 PM
I think the most important part of those pics, or at least the thing that says the most, is the smiles! Looks at those kids. They don't care one bit about roots, but they do look so happy! :)

MermanZen
12-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Ya, I mean that's really all that matters. Making kids smile and open their imaginations to the possibilities that you can accomplish anything and I think what we all do helps inspire that childhood dream. I mean when I was younger I was inspired by the H2O series and reading Hannah Fraser's story, knowing I could do this as a hobby, a job, a passion and that exactly what I'm going to. I hope one day I can bring smiles to children and give them the expirience just like your doing Ania. Thanks for inspiring them and me.

Zen

AniaR
12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
It's true. We are often too harsh on ourselves in this community. Kids don't notice most of the stuff we do. I've never had a kid point out a wrinkle in my tail lol

MermanZen
12-27-2013, 09:25 PM
well that's my point, kids, well unlike kids we see flaws in our tail no matter how small and at times we might see what we might think are flawed in our selves, but not to those kids were not, they just see this wonderful person who is living their childhood fantasy and I think that its those kids that drives us to be who we are.

Seatan
12-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Kids are great. At least until they turn into teenagers. Then they notice EVERYTHING wrong with you, LOL.

MermanZen
12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
lol ya tell me about it

Mermaid Caspiana
12-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Ya, I agree Raina, my first kid experience was just this summer after I had just finished my tail the day before back at home and we had gone to Myrtle Beach. I have my fabric sequined tail. And of course this was the day I didn't have my top on so I was just wearing a snake skin patterned blue tankini. They fell in love with me. I was so excited and happy. And then like 10 balconies filled up and i don't know about neighboring buildings even. One or two were even filled end to end with people. Haha
so ya, I want to start it. But my mom wants me to wait. You see I live in a small town were its cold a lot. From around the end of October to somewhere in April. And ten comes the rain. And we don't have a lot of indoor pools. But I will still start it. But by the time I do, I'll hopefully have a more realistic tail one way or another. ;)

AniaR
12-27-2013, 11:50 PM
I've worked with at risk youth and high school as well ;) and through my mermaiding I've worked with youth who have special needs, and high school youth too :) I think I'd rather take an angry high schooler, over a poop explosion, vomit/booger explosion, group tantrum anyday >.< lol in both of my degrees we spent equal time working with all ages :) so as a teacher I am qualified to teach all ages, though it can be a challenge to get specific courses through high school and depends on the electives I took in my two degrees. I went all out, so I can pretty much do everything except gym, lol

I actually copied my original post right off my tumblr account. And right before I posted that one, I posted this one:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/f71ddc2df6bf42d2f4e3dac503255fdc/tumblr_myheggletL1r0wgkuo1_500.jpg (http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/art/Raina-at-Camp-252877739)
Raina at Camp (http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/art/Raina-at-Camp-252877739) by RainaMermaid (http://rainamermaid.deviantart.com/)
This is an old photo of me (as you can probably tell by the old blonde hair and the old tail) where I was working for a summer camp for teens with special needs. I have a degree in child and youth development and a degree in education. Both focused a lot on special needs.
As much as I love working with kids, this was a really unique experience for me. Most of these teens were non-verbal. But when they saw me, their faces lit up, they clapped, made noises, danced. You could see the joy. Isn’t that something? Regardless of their abilities- they recognized mermaids as something magical and special, and it brought them joy.
We could learn a lot from that. I’m so thankful for all the experiences I’ve had with people of all abilities. It hasn’t always been easy, and whether I’m an educator, youth worked, child care provider, or mermaid, special needs work has its ups and downs. It’s not for everyone. But I am thankful for the people I have met, and I hope I have left a positive impression on them too.

AniaR
12-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Caspiana I think your fabric tail looks great!!! :)

Seatan
12-28-2013, 02:07 AM
I LOVED working with intellectually disabled teens. That was what I did in my last job. I LOVED those kids like they were my own. I miss them SO much. I wouldn't want to teach elementary because I like younger kids but not THAT much, LOL. High schoolers can be complete jerks and there is nothing we can do about it--I have been threatened, called a fucking bitch, screamed at, and had a desk knocked over in my direction and these kids got two days in school suspension at worst--but at least I only have to watch them every second to make sure they're not playing games on their phones instead of paying attention and not so that they don't eat crayons or whatever. But, yeah, I have never been more fulfilled in my life than when I worked with my special needs kids. Unfortunately, it paid $40,000 less than the job I have now, so there's no going back to that one. But I totally hope I get the chance to work with special needs kids as a mermaid, and just in general. I help with Miracle League and Special Olympics and I know some of those kids would LOVE to see a mermaid. You know, I always volunteer for the district's special needs prom... I should see if they need a mermaid!

Man, I miss those kids so much. Ugh. My new job of reading hundreds of essays and telling Blabby Freshman to stop talking and listen is not nearly so fulfilling, though I do like it. I just miss the intense connection you get to special needs people. Seriously, people with special needs are, literally, some of the most special people out there. They can be so loving... I didn't even mind the diaper issues/throwing things/random yelling you sometimes get. It was worth it to be around kids who were so special. Plus sometimes they were just hilarious. Like when this one boy was sagging his sweatpants and I said "Do you even know what that used to mean?" (I wasn't going to actually tell him!) and he replied cheerfully "Yup, it means you're a bitch in prison!" ...I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. I mean, this boy has like the mind of an eight year old. I was just like, "Sweetie, you're not actually supposed to SAY that!" This was the same kid who said that the two best movies/shows ever were Dr. Seuss' 'The Lorax' and 'Game of Thrones.' All I could think was... your parents are seriously letting you watch 'Game of Thrones'? LOL. Loved those kids.

BlueMermaid
12-28-2013, 10:36 PM
This just made my day, to read this. My son is developmentally delayed and autistic, And he's also one of the most wonderful people I've ever known.

I LOVED working with intellectually disabled teens. That was what I did in my last job. I LOVED those kids like they were my own. I miss them SO much. I wouldn't want to teach elementary because I like younger kids but not THAT much, LOL. High schoolers can be complete jerks and there is nothing we can do about it--I have been threatened, called a fucking bitch, screamed at, and had a desk knocked over in my direction and these kids got two days in school suspension at worst--but at least I only have to watch them every second to make sure they're not playing games on their phones instead of paying attention and not so that they don't eat crayons or whatever. But, yeah, I have never been more fulfilled in my life than when I worked with my special needs kids. Unfortunately, it paid $40,000 less than the job I have now, so there's no going back to that one. But I totally hope I get the chance to work with special needs kids as a mermaid, and just in general. I help with Miracle League and Special Olympics and I know some of those kids would LOVE to see a mermaid. You know, I always volunteer for the district's special needs prom... I should see if they need a mermaid!

Man, I miss those kids so much. Ugh. My new job of reading hundreds of essays and telling Blabby Freshman to stop talking and listen is not nearly so fulfilling, though I do like it. I just miss the intense connection you get to special needs people. Seriously, people with special needs are, literally, some of the most special people out there. They can be so loving... I didn't even mind the diaper issues/throwing things/random yelling you sometimes get. It was worth it to be around kids who were so special. Plus sometimes they were just hilarious. Like when this one boy was sagging his sweatpants and I said "Do you even know what that used to mean?" (I wasn't going to actually tell him!) and he replied cheerfully "Yup, it means you're a bitch in prison!" ...I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. I mean, this boy has like the mind of an eight year old. I was just like, "Sweetie, you're not actually supposed to SAY that!" This was the same kid who said that the two best movies/shows ever were Dr. Seuss' 'The Lorax' and 'Game of Thrones.' All I could think was... your parents are seriously letting you watch 'Game of Thrones'? LOL. Loved those kids.

Ariel-Starfish
12-29-2013, 07:53 AM
<3 <3 <3 love this tread!

Mermaid Oshun
12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
This is so special. I like your hair blonde Raina!

Mermaid Adriel
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
It's just what I'd like to do, and I really hope it will be true soon...