PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed tube top!

XMermaidMarinaX
12-28-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm going to attach fake plants to a green or nude tube top! I plan on putting netting over it, so it appears that's whats holding it on, then it'll tie over one shoulder. I decided to go with a natural approach to my mersona. Nothing too fancy.. No big shell tops, no fancy stuff just what a mer could find in the water and fashion into a top. Netting and plants: easy peasy. I went to Michaels for my stuff ahaha :D I need some advice though, how can I attach the plants, and how do I make the netting stay on? I'm planning on getting the tube top around Sunday to start working on it. I plan on updating this thread with pictures once I start :)

Seatan
12-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Since you are putting netting and plants on fabric... Do you have a sewing machine? You could do it by hand, too. Just pick the places you want the stuff held on and do a few quick stitches. Then you won't have to worry about glue holding and stuff. Just pin the plants where you want them on the shirt, pin the netting, and then stitch where you pinned. Easy peasy and it will hold up well.You don't have to sew all over, just the few key places where the stuff needs to be held on.

XMermaidMarinaX
12-28-2013, 01:57 AM
This is perfect actually thanks so much, I'm going to be taught how to sew on New Years Eve since I'm going to my grandmas. Maybe I can go over the day before or something.. I don't know, and sew it then.. I know it'll probably take longer, but if I can get it partially done before the new year I'd be pretty happy. I'm positive I'm going to get the bra Sunday though. What do you mean key places? I wouldn't want certain places secure and others moving.. I really wanted to have it done quickly so I could go swimming while I'm there, and only one of my tops actually fit, but it would've provided a nice testing.. How long do you think it'd take to sew?

Seatan
12-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Not long. By "key places" I just mean like if you had one plant, top, middle, and bottom or whatever. Securing it at both ends then places in the middle so it won't move much. You don't need to sew down every leaf or anything. It's just like pinning something securely to a shirt, but instead of safety pins you use stitches. Anywhere you would put a safety pin, put a stitch. Stitches hold surprisingly well. You can also try fabric glue or E6000, but since it's just plants on fabric, I think sewing would be most secure. Since you've never sewed, it will probably take a couple of hours, at least if someone shows you how to thread the needle/make stitches/tie off the knot. Sewing isn't really that hard. The more secure you want to make it, the longer it will take to sew, but don't feel like you have to overdo it. It's plants, so no matter what it's gonna move SOME. So don't feel like you have to sew down every inch.

XMermaidMarinaX
12-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Thanks for that, I was freaking out at the idea of this project, cuz I had no idea what to do, and sewing wasn't popping into my mind as a solution. Well, I've learned to stitch once, but that was just to stitch up a hole in a stuffed animal.. Which was years ago. I'm hoping it won't take too long though. Will be posting all my pics of my plants, netting, ideas, on Sunday~ WITH MY CAMERA! No idea how much I love my camera. Two favorite gifts this year: Laptop, camera! Hahaha.. Thanks tho, love your signature :)

XMermaidMarinaX
01-05-2014, 01:37 AM
So as promised, here are some update pictures. We had to mess with the technique a little bit while trying to figure out how to sew it all on. So we ended up plucking the leaves off the thing to cover more spots and we'd have more control in making it. Those little stubs are going to be cut off though since they interfere. Sewing will start once we find a bust to sew on so the bra can have an actual form so we know how it'll look on me. Will it take a long time to sew? Probably. But we're planning on using the two strands we're not putting on the top to wind in the one shoulder strap. Basically we're going to wind the netting around the plants so it'll be a strap. I'm debating on that one, not sure if I want to have it just be a netting only strap, and maybe have a strip of netting hanging down in a V shape with little things strung on it to create a hint of elegance. Yes? No? I'm also going to make some necklaces that look like something out of a shipwreck, or maybe buy some.. I don't know.. Anyway, opinions? Things I should add to this top? I'm probably going to be posting more update pictures soon ^_^ http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/WolfGirl28/CAM01042_zpsa8fe127a.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/WolfGirl28/media/CAM01042_zpsa8fe127a.jpg.html) http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/WolfGirl28/CAM01045_zps883c9c6c.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/WolfGirl28/media/CAM01045_zps883c9c6c.jpg.html)

Miyu
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
A couple of shells or mother-of-pearl beads nestled in amongst the seaweed would look lovely :)

I am so jealous of the one-shoulder thing. I would love to do that, but I doubt that would be enough support for me haha!

You could look into making a duct-tape bust of yourself, it will give you the best fit on your tops :D

Jadestone
01-15-2014, 02:47 PM
I really like this!! I want to make a seaweed + netting + maybe some small shell/pearl decorations top for myself too sometime. I like the one-shoulder idea!! I'm excited to see how it works for you :) Are you going to continue the seaweed all the way around the band?

Mermaid Isabel(:
01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
It looks great just the way it is :) but if you want to add to it then some mother of pearl or some pearls at the bottom would look good I think.

Mermaid Caspiana
01-15-2014, 06:08 PM
I really would like to see how this turns out. :)

XMermaidMarinaX
01-15-2014, 06:19 PM
I think I'm going to put mother of pearl beads randomly around on the netting or something, and I'm hoping that the one shoulder strapped netting idea can hold up.

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 07:26 PM
I like the idea of a seaweed and pearl fringe for a top like that. What do you think?

MerEmma
01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I love that picture with the seaweed on the top up there. It looks amazing!

MermanZen
01-20-2014, 05:23 PM
LOVE IT !!!!

XMermaidMarinaX
02-02-2014, 11:52 AM
So I just got some pics of making the bust! Due to some things, it has taken longer than thought to resume on this project, but it's starting! ... I'll admit, cutting it off was a bit scary, my mom poked me once with the scissors, and I'm just like oh god.. that was just the bottom, as it gets higher it's tighter on me.. and she has to cut. Eep! But no damage was done to the mer! ^_^ Here are those pics I promised! While my mother was out getting more duct tape: http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/WolfGirl28/CAM00070_zpspgbc9rmi.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/WolfGirl28/media/CAM00070_zpspgbc9rmi.jpg.html) This is after it was all cut off! I hated that shirt anyway xD : http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/WolfGirl28/CAM00071_zps5ci058db.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/WolfGirl28/media/CAM00071_zps5ci058db.jpg.html)

XMermaidMarinaX
02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Also, I'm hoping to get some of the seaweed and netting attached by Saturday so I can update you guys some more, no promises there, but I'll try! It's going to take some time, figuring out how the strap will work, testing to make sure its secure, and such.. Here's hoping ^_^

XMermaidMarinaX
02-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Okay so I'm going to be on a mini vacation till Sunday, and I haven't had a chance and neither has my mother, to sew anything. See what I get for saying I'll do something? Haha.. Anyway I got the pearls, the plants pulled apart, bust made, bra, and ideas. So.. I hope to have it done in the next month, and to order my tail soon.

Kishiko
02-17-2014, 07:44 AM
I think it looks great! And if you're worried about it not holding, try doing a one shoulder that crosses over your chest and up your shoulder, then across your back to the same side it started, if that makes sense? That way there's more support!

Jadestone
02-20-2014, 07:03 PM
That's what I'm doing for my top (the one-shoulder crossover thing), and it definitely works a lot better than just one shoulder alone.

Mermaid Dottie
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Looks really good! If you have any trouble keeping it the right shape, try cutting ovals out of cardboard and placing them inside it the way your torso would go. and make sure and stuff the breasts well, but not over much. you don't want it bulgy.