PDA

View Full Version : Gills or Scales?

Mermaid Sirena
12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
A friend and I are going to start working with silicone and we want to make things for the merworld that don't seem to have a lot of options. Two of those are scales and gills. So I am wondering what would you as a merperson rather purchase, some scales that you can stick on places like arms and stomach or a some gills that can be placed on the neck (depending on design other places as well)? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

emma11
12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm doing the same thing! :]

Just a note though, you might not going to want to make these out of silicone. Silicone is a pretty heavy material, so small pieces like this might manage to stick on, but for the most part they can get really heavy and not stick on as well. This depends on the glue a lot as well. I'd do some tests first to be sure, since something like spirit gum manages pretty well with latex, it doesn't work quite as well with silicone. I always suggest pros aide for silicone, and that's more expensive.

Just some thoughts! Good luck!

Mermaid Sirena
12-30-2013, 06:28 PM
I know one of the reasons we are using silicone is my friend is mildly allergic to latex & she's the main creative (I know several mers are as well) and we are using them for practice before ramping up to bigger and better things (tops anyone?). As she has experience with stage make-up and prosthetics I'm certain we will be able to figure out a balance for the weight :)

Thanks for the advice though!

emma11
12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah latex allergy is hell in the prosthetics world haha. Depending on the thickness of the prosthetic i might even do a gel filled silicone appliance. Skin texture is difficult but worthwhile on silicone if you're allergic to latex.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jessica
12-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I think if you cast the gills thin you would be just fine :) if you do cast them thin you might try backing them with powermesh for strength (it's very thin so it wouldn't add much weight at all)

I'm excited to see what you come up with! :)

Mermaid Danielle
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
I think it would be awesome if you could somehow create a blend from skin to scales, like progressing smaller size scales to larger from a rough skin patch. If you were able to do that, I'd definitely consider buying scales (I haven't found a blending method that works yet and is cost and time effective, lol).

MermanZen
12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I would buy gills and put them on the sides of my neck and go back with the airbrush to get a more fishy feel

Mermaid Caspiana
12-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I think it would be awesome if you could somehow create a blend from skin to scales, like progressing smaller size scales to larger from a rough skin patch. If you were able to do that, I'd definitely consider buying scales (I haven't found a blending method that works yet and is cost and time effective, lol).
Great idea! And I would like to have scales, and the gills would be cool for certain gigs. More realistic. ;) keep us updated.

Aziara
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
It would be cool to see someone make gills. I personally would like to see rib gills, but neck gills are pretty cool too.

Mermaid Sirena
12-31-2013, 12:08 PM

That was actually one of the idea's that had been sketched out so I'm glad to see others think it's a good idea as well ^_^

It would be cool to see someone make gills. I personally would like to see rib gills, but neck gills are pretty cool too.

I think you'll really like some of the later things we come up with if this works out ;)