PDA

View Full Version : the new MDV tail (2)

Merman Arion
12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Mike Van Daal just released those pictures on FB with this statement :

"One of the many new options for 2014 from FlipTails! This tail also features a blacklight/Glow-In-The-Dark feature!"

It's a neon tail. What do you think?

16723 16724

16725 16726

Rainbow details on some scales :

Samantha Siren
12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
That would look Insane under a black light!

Mermaid Adriel
12-31-2013, 07:44 AM
maybe too showy, but lot of coolness!

Echinacea
12-31-2013, 10:14 AM
lol Certainly colorful!! Very cool-looking tail, I'd love to see it in the water! The back dorsal fin makes me think of sea anemone 'tentacles', I'd love to see how they look under water, in motion! :D

AniaR
12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Raven did one with similar coloring and black light paint too.I called it the hulk tail lol green and purple.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Samantha Siren
12-31-2013, 11:20 AM
We don't hear much from Mike these days it's nice to see some of his new creations.

Jessica
12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Such an awesome design! It's really a work of art :)

Seatan
12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
It's really cool! I love the dorsal fin. Not my favorite colors but very cool!

PearlieMae
12-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow! Fancy!

AniaR
12-31-2013, 12:53 PM
I think it would look nice on a guy too. I like Mike's stuff, but I just am not a fan of that fluke or how it holds up (literally, what it looks like when you hold it up, lol) I know there's a huge fandom for the 13th year. Just not my style :p

Merman Arion
12-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I think it would look nice on a guy too. I like Mike's stuff, but I just am not a fan of that fluke or how it holds up (literally, what it looks like when you hold it up, lol) I know there's a huge fandom for the 13th year. Just not my style :p

Honestly, I'm not fond of this tail and not really impressed. In my opinion, the yellow color is kind of lemon and horrible, the color scheme is simple and because of the amount of fringe on the back and the 13th-year fluke, overall the tail isn't very fish-like. It really isn't my style either. Mike is very good tail maker but this, to me, isn't very original. I prefer the hulk tail like Raina like to call it ;)

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MerEmma
12-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Personally I love the colors and the fins. I wouldn't personally buy from Mike because I don't like how floppy the flukes are either but I really like this tail a lot.

AniaR
12-31-2013, 06:44 PM
well in all fairness, he likely just made what a client dreamed up. So long as the client is happy, then that is good! :)

Ariel-Starfish
12-31-2013, 06:54 PM
True. :) Happy to see he's back!

Mermaid Oshun
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Very nice!
As someone who knows first hand how much hard LABOR and SKILL goes into making one of these from start to finish, I can not be such a flippant brat and freely cast dispersions against the hard labor of others. I figure unless you can PERSONALLY do better, you personally are in no position to casually criticize.
Everyone's a critic... even those who can do absolutely NOTHING themselves. Suppose folk criticized how "WELL" you laid around in these masterpiece works of art after someone else toiled over them. Suppose folk criticized how well or poorly you can simply SIT or LAY in these masterpieces. You wouldn't like that so much now would you?
Every tom dick and harry who can do NOTHING themselves is a critic of those who can actually do something. Such frivolous, heineous bratism some skil-less folk casually engage in!

I RESPECT artists skills whether it is my shade or not. Just a lil food for thought

Jessica
12-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I just have to say that even if you don't like the colors, this tail has an incredible amount of detail and is very well made. I can imagine (and appreciate) all the hard work that went into this! I think the colors would look incredible on someone with a good tan or darker skin tone. The yellow/purple combo is simple, but striking.....it reminds me of so many pretty little fish:

AniaR
12-31-2013, 09:11 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-plrdFgPuctk/TiUlgLo-f6I/AAAAAAAAAHY/Pq0ggHBp-zY/s1600/Hulk-in-the-Little-Mermaid--61695.jpg

PearlieMae
01-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I think it's a very creative piece, lots of interesting detail and work! Whether or not it's my taste is my own business, but there's no denying it's one helluva piece of craftmership!

I'm not familiar with the flukes everyone is mentioning. Is there a link to videos?

Blondie
01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
I personally love the fluke, despite the fact that it's a recast. The thirteenth year is one of my all time favorite tails. The dorsal is awesome looking. And the fact it glows in the dark is going to make it look even more magical. However, the colors are not really my favorite. The detail is fantastic, it's just... The colors are too opposite to really compliment each other. But the streak of color under each scale! Finfolk does that and I love it. I kinda wish he could blend the scales a bit better when it goes to the fluke, I just feel like the straight line looks a little harsh.

mermouse
01-02-2014, 03:00 AM
It's really cool to see a neon tail! Wow.

Mermaid Danielle
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
I'd love to see what this looks like under black light, and in the water!

PearlieMae
01-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a black light at a pool. How useful is that going to be?

Anahita
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I like the neon/glow in the dark for the dorsal bit. I do think it'd look like an anemone, which is awesome. I guess this is going on a mermaid who performs in clubs or other tank/indoor performances, since I think those are like, the only places where the black light would be in play (unless I'm missing something...)

I think it's cool. Even though purple and yellow are technically complementary colors (color wheel thing, red and green, blue and orange, yellow and purple) I've never been all that fond of them, but I think for a black-light tail they're perfect.

lynsea
01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Melissa just posted the tail under blacklight. So does he only make tails for her company now?

Mermaid Fenicia
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
and a clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTuf3DfqkF8

Seatan
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Wow, it looks SUPER COOL under blacklight! But Pearlie's right... No blacklights at pools. :(

MermaidBrittany
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Wow that looks pretty cool :) Since everyone has quite the unique style, its definitely not for me, but I think he does fantastic work. Haven't seen much from him lately which is too bad since its always cool to see what he dreams up.

deepblue
01-03-2014, 09:45 PM
WOW. The craftsmanship is what I find really impressive. It's not a tail I'd want, but holy cow, that's a lot of detail and so well done.

Mermaid Adriel
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Melissa just posted the tail under blacklight. So does he only make tails for her company now?

So, why is he making tails only for Melissa?

drucilla
01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Does he do custom fluke work?
Has anyone else been commissioning him lately? I know he's on the expensive side.

Merman Arion
01-08-2014, 05:18 PM
So, why is he making tails only for Melissa?

I would guess because she's like The Mertailor.
One of the most "mainstream" and well-known mermaids around the world so thanks to that, she has the money to afford his tails.
Seriously though, i wouldn't pay 5 or 6k for this..

drucilla
01-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Lol when I first joined I wanted one of his tails sooo badly but then Raven came along and I was like :jawdrop:!! I noticed the quality was the same but she customised them more in the fluke area and made them lighter, also cheaper. But she's soo popular it is practically impossible to get one from her. I like both tail makers but I'm gonna try Raven first.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Nice! I think if you love neons colors and are not afraid to show it, go ahead.

Miyu
02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
I LOOOOVE ITTTT :swoon:

Poseidon
06-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I would guess because she's like The Mertailor.
One of the most "mainstream" and well-known mermaids around the world so thanks to that, she has the money to afford his tails.
Seriously though, i wouldn't pay 5 or 6k for this..

It's too expensive. And lately on facebook when Mike posts new pics of his 'new' offers, 98% of the time, we all know its going to Melissa...

Atlantis
06-11-2014, 09:25 PM
I love neon tails. They look so amazing in deep water. Check out the difference between my neon orange tail, and the other silicone tails in the water

MerEmma
06-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Brightly colored ones are definitely my preference too. I love the way they look against the water. <3

Ayla of Duluth
06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Now that I see that neon orange and white tail, I'm surprised no one has gotten a tail with that sort of color scheme yet. I see it and think of a fishing lure, and those come in all sorts of amazing colors, most of which are neon, so I can't believe no one has a neon tail, or even a stark orange and white one like that. It's gorgeous.

AniaR
06-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Atlantis made that herself. I have always personally felt blue and green tails to be too dull for my taste they always fade into the water. Orange and blue are opposite colors which is one of the reasons why it pops!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk