PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Name Ideas

JaceAquarius
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Hello fellow Mers,

So when I was first deciding on my Mer-name I went through .... lets just say lots of naming websights and things to get ideas for names. The following list is what I came up with originally for a book I'm writing. Obviously this is just ones that stood out to me, but it got me thinking. If we post various names maybe it will help new mers to decide on a name for themselves. So please post any mer-name ideas that you think would be helpful to a new mer.

I have them seperated as it applies in my book for male, female, unisex but that's not to say you have to follow this or any formula! Anyway basically this is my disclaimer saying enjoy choosing whatever name you think best and I hope this list helps even if you choose nothing from it!

:group hug:

Mermaid Names – Boys (Starting with: A, C, I, J, M, N, R, S, T, Z)

Adriel
Aeron
Aiden
Aiken
Alexis
Amari
Aqua
Aquarius
Arden
Arian
Ariel
Arien
Aries
Artemis
Ashley
Atheron
Azriel
Cade
Caden
Cael
Cai
Camryn
Cara
Carlen
Casey
Cato
Catrin
Caylin
Corin
Corzon
Indigo
Iren
Isha
Jace
Jade
Jadyn
Jalen
Jeren
Jess
Jora
Jordan
Justin
Madison
Marin
Marlin
Mel
Mercer
Merrick
Midnight
Nadria
Naras
Natara
Neptune
Nerin
Neva
Nevin
Night
Rain
Rani
Raven
Rayan
Regan
Riley
Rizzo
Ryan
Ryder
Rylan
Saxon
Sean
Selas
Sence
Seren
Siran
Sol
Sora
Stacie
Stellan
Tait
Tallis
Talor
Tamar
Tanis
Tara
Tarin
Tasha
Taurus
Tayden
Teagan
Teal
Tempest
Terra
Tess
Thea
Theron
Thetis
Tira
Tracen
Trevon
Triton
Tyran
Zaiden
Zain
Zale
Zane
Zanthe
Zara
Zeal
Zita
Zuriel

Mermaid Names – Girls (Starting with: A, C, I, J, K, L, M, N, R, S)

Acasia
Adriana
Adriel
Alaina
Alana
Alandra
Alecia
Alethea
Alexandria
Alexis
Allure
Amanda
Amara
Amari
Amethyst
Amira
Andrina
Angelica
Anisa
Aphrodite
Aqua
Aquamarine
Aquaria
Aquarius
Arianna
Ariel
Ariella
Arissa
Ashley
Ashlyn
Asis
Athena
Cade
Cadence
Cala
Calista
Callia
Calypso
Camryn
Candice
Cara
Cardea
Caressa
Carlen
Casey
Catlyn
Catrin
Caylin
Cerys
Chloe
Clarissa
Coral
Cordelia
Crystal
Cytheria
Iliana
Iliara
Inari
Iris
Isabelle
Isha
Isra
Jace
Jade
Jadyn
Jadzia
Jamie
Jasmine
Jem
Jenna
Jess
Jessica
Jewel
Jordan
Juno
Kacy
Kadri
Kaelyn
Kaitlyn
Kala
Kami
Katie
Kayce
Keely
Keira
Kenzi
Kesha
Kirana
Kiri
Kissa
Kristen
Kristy
Lacey
Lana
Lauren
Lexi
Lexis
Lidia
Lindsey
Liona
Lisa
Loren
Luna
Madison
Madonna
Mara
Marina
Marla
Megan
Mel
Melody
Mercedes
Michelle
Minerva
Miranda
Nadria
Naiya
Nala
Natara
Nerin
Nerissa
Nessa
Nicole
Nikki
Nira
Nissa
Nuria
Rachell
Rain
Rani
Rebecca
Riley
Risa
Robin
Rose
Roxy
Ruby
Sabrina
Salene
Saphire
Sara
Sarai
Sarina
Sasha
Seal
Seana
Serena
Shannon
Sierra
Stacie
Stephanie
Story
Summer
Sydney

Unisex Names (Starting with: A, C, I, J, M, N, R, S)

Adriel
Alexis
Amari
Aqua
Aquarius
Ariel
Ashley
Cade
Camryn
Cara
Carlen
Casey
Catrin
Caylin
Isha
Jace
Jade
Jadyn
Jess
Jordan
Madison
Mel
Nadria
Natara
Nerin
Rain
Rani
Riley
Stacie

Mermaid Adriel
02-07-2014, 07:57 AM
cool names ;)
however, I was thinking about "Partenope" for girls, like the mermaid of a famous italian legend.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2014, 01:54 AM
My name is the best.

If you take away the surname and add an "S" to Irene, I become Sirene!:cool:

MermaidAmestris
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I feel so cool right now. My name isn't on any of those lists. It makes me feel original :)

Mermaid Ellowyn
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm still trying to find a name. It's so hard to find something that feels "perfect"!

Tira
02-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm surprised to see my name, Tira, on the "boys" name [emoji14]
In ancient northern tounge it pretty much means "girl" [emoji14]
Sorry to comment on an old post but I couldn't resist ^^

Merman Jamie
02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm surprised Jamie isn't on the unisex names.

suzanne86
11-21-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm glad my name isn't on the lists. Just "lil ole me." :-)

TheAmsterdamMermaid
12-06-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm trying to figure out a name for my mersona.
I love mythology of all kinds. I was thinking of Nimüe (maybe too much Merlin associations?), or Maeve. From Greek Mythology maybe Galatea/Galateia from my favorite myth Pygmalion.
It's so hard to find a nice one! I like Maeve the best I think, mainly because alliteration, but she doesn't really have any association with water.
Maybe I could also do Vivien or Viviane, which is more of a nod to Malory's Morte d'Arthur and doesn't really have so much associations with the show Merlin. What do you think?

I've been going with my real name for so long it's hard to find something that suits me!
My tail is going to be peafowl inspired with hues of green, purple, blue and copper.

Meerihua
02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm considering changing mine to a more "normal" name, especially if I decide to go pro in the future. I've always loved the name Alana, so I might be taking that...

MerEmma
02-18-2017, 05:43 PM
I've literally been going through names in cycles ever since I joined the forum, lol. Every time I "decided" on something I would find a reason not to, or in one case, someone joined a day or 2 later with the name and I didn't want to seem like I was stealing it. :lol:

Alaw ferch Tonnau
02-25-2017, 11:27 AM
The name Artemis is also a girl's name. It's actually the name of the Greek goddess of hunting and the moon. Sorry for being pedantic

Mermaid Kalahari
02-28-2017, 12:51 PM
I have been trying to figure out my mermaid name. It's so hard! I was looking up mythological names of things like water nymphs and such but those Ancient Greek names are very hard to pronounce (thinking of kids trying to say your name) and probably not the "prettiest" of names in today's world. I love Calypso, my sister wrote a story of a merrow with that name and wanted to use it, as well as some form of Siren (got to love luring men to their death) but I fear they both would be rather common names among merfolk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lanier
02-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I have been trying to figure out my mermaid name. It's so hard! I was looking up mythological names of things like water nymphs and such but those Ancient Greek names are very hard to pronounce (thinking of kids trying to say your name) and probably not the "prettiest" of names in today's world. I love Calypso, my sister wrote a story of a merrow with that name and wanted to use it, as well as some form of Siren (got to love luring men to their death) but I fear they both would be rather common names among merfolk.

Maybe Cyrene would be a good compromise? It's both a Greek nymph that's pretty easy to pronounce, and it's a twist on the name Siren.

MeliPixie
02-28-2017, 01:32 PM
I too am stuck with what name to choose. My given name is Melissa, which is taken and somewhat famous in the Mer world already; my furry and general online name is Pixie, but I don't want to overuse it; my Gaia Online (anyone heard of/still on there? 😅 ) is Faerie Neko Witch, waaaaay too long and wrong for a mermaid. I once had a half dark elf/half water nymph character named Skylar Kin'Jae but I don't feel connected to her anymore. What's a girl to do???

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android

SeaHerSparkle3899
02-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Maybe Cyrene would be a good compromise? It's both a Greek nymph that's pretty easy to pronounce, and it's a twist on the name Siren.

I did my own twist on that and when with Syrena. Similar to Siren, but with my own twist on it. I like Cyrene too, love the spelling

Mermaid Kalahari
03-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Omg I love that! Thank you...I think that just might be perfect! *bows graciously*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lanier
03-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Glad I could help out!!