PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in Second Life

azaiya
01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
There used to be a thread about this a while back, but I can't find it anymore. A lot of new people have probably joined the forum, so I thought I'd start a new one!

Any mers here use Second Life? It's kind of like playing with legos and dolls… but inside a 3D virtual world. You can create your own avatars and there's a lot of customization. You can pretty much make anything you want… including mermaids!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5286/5323999341_7c39b48106_z.jpg

There are also a lot of cool places to explore… above and underwater! I hang out there a lot more in the winter than the summer.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8432119635_04fdd3a26e_b.jpg

Here's an album full of pictures I've taken of mers and some cool underwater areas in Second Life (https://plus.google.com/photos/116185505022688947720/albums/5740784912498350241). (NSFW, some topless mers in there), and some more pictures on my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/azaiya/sets/72157624591961488/).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8257/8618181696_10b0baa890_b.jpg

I also made a mertail for SL avatars recently. The real-life tails people post in the forum are amazing! I'm more of a digital artist, so this is the best I can do when it comes to making tails.

If you use Second Life and you want one, send me a message (Azaiya Aeon), and tell me who you are on MerNetwork! They come in lots of colors (http://www.flickr.com/photos/azaiya/11484789773/). Hopefully I'll make some more complicated designs in the future… mesh is hard to work with!

Echidna
01-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Yep, there's quite a few forum mers on SL.
I re-did most of my tails there recently and made several krait tails too (didn't upload them to my album yet because I was too lazy to convert all the shots to jpegs :p).

I'll gladly add you, even though I'm rather seldom on SL lately.
(My name is Yinfu Jun)

My stuff is all made with prims, because I lack the software to work with mesh.
Animation-wise, I found the old prim stuff more satisfying than the new mesh tails, even though those look more elegant of course.
In case you ever try your hand on a snake or naga mesh tail, there is only one in-world now iirc,
and the unrealistic animations turned me off, so I'm still using my old bulky prim snake tails :)

Mermaid Oshun
01-04-2014, 10:20 AM
I will b on sl today shut in (snow here )

Ariel-Starfish
01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Omg these are so cool! I had an account on SL once, but nerver understood how it worked etc. :p
If someone wants to help me out; I would love to start over and make a virtual version of my mer persona! :D

azaiya
01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Caltuna – I know what you mean! I will let you know if I ever try to make something like that. I'll add you when I'm online next, please show me your mer avs! :D

Goldenpearl - I might go on today, snow here too! Add me if you like!

Ariel - If we're both online, I'd be happy to help get you started. What's your name?

Ariel-Starfish
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I have to create a new account :) I will make one tomorrow and post my username here :D

MermaidBrandie
02-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I go on second life occasionally. There was never anybody online. :(

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I had a SL account when it was first released. I went into the cannon on tutorial island and couldn't figure out how to land. 15 mins later, I uninstalled the game!

Echidna
02-09-2014, 03:50 AM
I had a SL account when it was first released. I went into the cannon on tutorial island and couldn't figure out how to land. 15 mins later, I uninstalled the game!

:rotfl:
They made the island easier to leave, because in the beginning, many people failed to go through the process.
My father, who was interested in the programming language, couldn't get past the Hula part :lol:

Mermaid Jaffa
02-10-2014, 01:14 AM
The tuna is laughing at me!!!

I feel so embarrassed...:$

Echidna
02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
The tuna is laughing at me!!!

if you mean my name with that; it has nothing to do with the fish ;)

it's romanian and actually written călțuna and pronounced kal-tsuna, and it means the flower
sweet violet (which is a variant of my real name).

Mermaid Jaffa
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
oh i thought i meant California Tuna...:lol:

My aunt's name is, Violette too.

Aziara
02-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Ok, I can't figure out second life at all. Where's all these nice underwater places, and how do I get to them?

Echidna
02-11-2014, 07:01 AM
oh i thought i meant California Tuna...:lol:

yea, that's what I figured.
I don't live in California though, nor do my tails look anything like tuna :p

Ok, I can't figure out second life at all. Where's all these nice underwater places, and how do I get to them?
Once you left the rookie island, you can search (with the search function).

keywords ocean, underwater, mermaid usually bring up all the hang-outs.
You can teleport directly there with the address link from search.

Aziara
02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks caltuna! The beaches I had found so far didn't have much underwater space, and they just seemed to be make-out spots anyway (gag). This might seem like a dumb question.... What is there to do in second life? Maybe I'm just used to mmo's where I fight stuff, but I can't seem to figure out if there's anything to do besides talk to people.

Echidna
02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
What is there to do in second life? Maybe I'm just used to mmo's where I fight stuff, but I can't seem to figure out if there's anything to do besides talk to people.

SL isn't so much a game as a platform.
There's a million things to do, but you will have to discover them for yourself.
It's not an MMO, or game that tells you what to do or where to look ;)

Some of the things you can do besides meeting and talking to people:

-building.
everything in SL is made from props you can shape yourself with the build tool, and textures you can either find or make and upload yourself.
You can either make your avatar unique outfits (resembling stuff you have iRL, for example), build furniture/houses/landscapes/whatever, or make something completely new and unheard of (like fantasy avatars or such)

-scripting.
when mastering the programming language SL is based on, you will become a wizard.
you will be able to create effects and make gadgets others can only dream of (or buy for many L$)

-animating.
every fancy movement in SL is made possible by animations.
nowadays, most new animations- especially for postures, runs, walks, and dances- are done by motion-capture, but I did some iceskating anims back in my active SL days, because none did exist!
also useful for movements not possible in reality, like mermaid or fairy dances.

-socializing.
only at first glance the same as talking to people. you can do much more than that in a world full of fantastic landscapes, fancy hangouts, and mythological creatures.
you can ride a horse, dance in the deep sea, fly through space, or simply go to a club you like.
It's called Second Life for a reason.

-roleplaying.
while not everyone's cup of tea, of course SL is a great environment to RP anything you like.
you are bound to find some SIM where they do your favourite.
differing to other RP areas in other games, you are free to make yourself look exactly how you envision it, without being reduced to collect some stuff that looks halfway decent :P

that's some general ideas.

mind that to experience SL completely, you might have to rent a space for a while, or at least have some L$ to buy some stuff you can't find for free (but there are loads freebies nowdays that look better than the most expensive stuff back when I started lol)

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Its ok. I got new glasses now... I can see everyone's name perfectly!

Ariel-Starfish
02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I tried loging in again but it refuses. :( And it makes my Mac slow.

MermaidBrandie
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Second life is VERY graphic intense. My old mac couldn't do it at all.

Starfrit
03-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Ahh, I didn't know there were so many folks from here on SecondLife! :D

I've been on there for about... Eight years now? XD One of my favorite things is building avatars and frankensteinning outfits together.

Here's a few shots of an outfit I threw together for a Valentine's Day-themed event I went to last month (I just kind of slapped it together from like... Four different outfits.)

I've been trying to piece together a mermaid character the last couple of weeks but haven't been able to settle on anything! :( I've kind of got an avatar put together, and the AO I have for her is really pretty, but overall I'm not very happy with the look. I'll see if I can get some pretty screencaps of the mermaid avatar tomorrow!

(By the way, my name on SL is Yami Halcali, if anyone wants to add me!)

azaiya
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
You look pretty, Tieri! I haven't checked on this thread in a while. It hasn't died! Awesome!

So, if we're sharing photos, here's one of a friend and I all fishy.

This was taken in Fanci's Deep (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Union%20Passage/135/234/3), which is a huge block of sims with beautiful underwater stuff for mer. There are usually a few mer around! You can visit by clicking that link.

Haven of Mermaids (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Haven%20of%20Mermaids/100/237/3) has an awesome kelp forest (and other things) if you feel like hiding away for a while.

Those are good places to start and explore. Depending on the time of day/night, there are usually a few mer around.

And of course, you're all welcome to add me!

Mermaid Jaffa
03-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Ok. I've made a new account. My name is, Maerb.

Dee Tal
08-06-2014, 01:17 AM
I hope it's ok to reply to a thread this old but I'm active again as a mer in Second Life (slowly working toward in Real Life too). My SL name is Grim Enigma. I rent a cave next to the dancefloor at Haven of Mermaids and hang out in Fanci's Deep pretty often. I know the areas well and create mer items that I love to give away.

I hope to see some mernetwork people there!

Echidna
08-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm often around in one of the watery spots, though I seem to always miss the merdances lately :(

You'll easily recognize me

SL is my escape for the RL time I cannot spend in water, which is far too much for my liking.

Merman Dan
08-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I rent a cave next to the dancefloor at Haven of Mermaids

I have a place there as well!

Echidna
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
I always wanted to rent, and there are so many pretty mer houses in SL.
Just not sure whether I'd spend enough time there to justify the costs.

I never see any of the tenants actually in their houses xD

Dee Tal
08-07-2014, 12:35 AM
I have a place there as well!
I hope to see you around.

Dee Tal
08-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I always wanted to rent, and there are so many pretty mer houses in SL.
Just not sure whether I'd spend enough time there to justify the costs.

I never see any of the tenants actually in their houses xD
It really depends on where you rent. My cave costs 1000 lindens per month which comes out to about $4.04. Not bad to have my own dark and quiet cave to swish around in with slow music. It's a nice way to unwind.

Mermaid Lily_Pad
08-08-2014, 04:30 PM
I Play(ed) in SL for years. I actually own a store, but not in Mers. I have seen Mers in SL and always admired their tails and Animations, but back then mers were not very popular.I still have a store on the Market Place and I popped in the other day to drool over hair. LOL I Love hair shopping in SL. It's an addiction. I was actually considering trying my hand at mesh to make mesh hair and what not to try and get enough money scrapped together for a real life tail. Eh, maybe one day.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-07-2014, 12:06 AM
I went to the place and saw Dan, then I poked him but nothing happened. So I swam around saw a few other mers, I think they were afk. Nobody said hi when I said *fin slap*, and kept coming back to poke Dan, but still nothing happening, so I quickly became bored with the game, and uninstalled. I'm not into building games anyway.

azaiya
10-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear, Jaffa! You may have just got online at a bad time, but yeah, it can be hard to find other mers in the water. I'm amazed you actually found some! I remember when it was hard to find any at all.

I haven't logged into SL for a few months. I'll have to find an afternoon to spend there sometime soon. Winter's coming, so I'll be inside a lot more…

Here's two shots from the last time I logged in. I found a really amazing underwater grove!

There's more pictures at my flickr page (https://www.flickr.com/photos/azaiya/)

Echidna
10-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Long-time SL players probably afk a lot xD
Once you've built everything you ever imagined, furnished your house, planted your garden, scripted your scripts, etc, there's not much to do but explore, look for events, and waiting for others to log for a chat.

I'm not on there often for that reason, but sometimes I still do to try out something new or go look for a nice enchanted place for some alone-time.
I also like to attend dances, but there usually is nothing taking place when I'm on :p

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm a long time player in second life and a mertail designer and store owner in secondlife as well. I'm known as Reiko Mayo there and have been mermaiding for about 8 years now. I'll post two of my tail designs here! :32469324692

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Also try a roleplay sim called Mystara, There is a very large mermaid community there. ^__^

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm a mermaid in second life too, as we'll as na'vi. I made my own skin for my Na'vi character but it's not great. But hey! I tried! My mermaid getup is mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starfrit
10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I've been trying for forever to put together a decent mermaid avatar, but I can't seem to get it to look right! It's tough, especially when you really can't justify spending money on the game anymore to get new tails and accessories and stuff. XD

I LOVE the Mystara sim, but my graphics card is pretty outdated so the sim causes a lot of lag on my end. I really need a new graphics card so I can start playing there more. Definitely one of my favorite sims in-game!

Echidna
10-08-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't have the flashiest and trendiest outfits either, because I make everything myself :lol:
but it suits me, and the stuff I want is not even sold, that's how weird I am :p

Mystara is a fantastic place, I agree!
I was sloshing around in the underwater castle ruins when I caught sight of a regular Mystara member.
I do roleplay, but I hadn't come up with any background for that SIM, so I turned around and teleported away when they wanted to scout me out lol.

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 02:45 PM
I wish I knew how to make all that stuff. Like I said, I made a skin, but that's it so far. I refuse to spend any money on SL. Especially when there are so many free options, but I am envious of other peeps' stuff.
I role play as well but I'm not very good at it and I get nervous a lot.

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Well if you have any requests for a mermaid tail, I can make mesh mermaid tails here for everyone in SL free of charge. I only ask if I can sell them in my store. I can also help anyone who would like to get situated in the Mystara sim or come up with a background story do that as well. I'm a regular in Mystara and play three mermen, two celestials...you name it. I love that place. Give me your user names and I'll add you to my friends list as well. I love to chat but I'm an older player that is still very active on several sims. Skyrah is another lovely place that is good for mer, then you have Estara as well.

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't have the flashiest and trendiest outfits either, because I make everything myself :lol:
but it suits me, and the stuff I want is not even sold, that's how weird I am :p

Mystara is a fantastic place, I agree!
I was sloshing around in the underwater castle ruins when I caught sight of a regular Mystara member.
I do roleplay, but I hadn't come up with any background for that SIM, so I turned around and teleported away when they wanted to scout me out lol.

You have been scouted haha

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Well if you have any requests for a mermaid tail, I can make mesh mermaid tails here for everyone in SL free of charge. I only ask if I can sell them in my store. I can also help anyone who would like to get situated in the Mystara sim or come up with a background story do that as well. I'm a regular in Mystara and play three mermen, two celestials...you name it. I love that place. Give me your user names and I'll add you to my friends list as well. I love to chat but I'm an older player that is still very active on several sims. Skyrah is another lovely place that is good for mer, then you have Estara as well.

That's so nice of you! I'm gonna take you up on that. But I have to find my username first. I haven't been on in a while.

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Alright, when you find it let me know!

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Ah WessyRose that's right.
I'm going to try to log on for a bit later but midterms are happening so

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Ah WessyRose that's right.
I'm going to try to log on for a bit later but midterms are happening so

I can't find you on there, add Reiko Mayo.

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Sure!

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Sheesh Im rusty. I just lagged into someones house. They said "uh hello?" and i was like "OMG IM SORRY LAG"

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I think I just added you, yeah lag can do that. Try turnning down the graphic settings and draw distance. Are you using Viewer 2 or Firestorm?

Mermaid Wesley
10-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Viewer. I wonder why you couldn't find me before....

Mermaid Reiko
10-08-2014, 10:14 PM
No clue but now your found :3

mer_believer
10-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Is that also available for Android phones?

Mermaid Wesley
10-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Second life? It's a computer program :) it's free too.

Mermaid Reiko
10-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Is that also available for Android phones?
Yes, you will need to download lumiya viewer from the app store.

Mermaid Blaire
10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Wooo! Just got an account, my name is MermaidCassie. :)
For some odd reason, mermaidblaire was taken. Lol.

DesertedMermaid
12-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Just made a SL! Any senior members wanna help me out?

Mermaid Wesley
12-22-2014, 11:41 PM
I'll be on later and I'll add you if you like! What's your username

Mermaid Lily_Pad
12-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm own a store in second life! Well, now it is on the marketplace, I rarely play these days.

Mermaid Reiko
12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I own a store as well selling mesh mer tails. Just let me know when you want to sign on, and your Username. Mine is Reiko Mayo, been playing since April 2007.

DesertedMermaid
12-25-2014, 10:09 PM
My name is LagoonaLuna!

Mermaid_Syrenity<3
02-05-2015, 09:30 PM
I been playing second life for 4 years and I go by LunaRaven2011. Add me if you need help or want a new friend. ;)

Merman Dan
02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
It's too darned cold outside... so a Second Life swim sounds nice about now...

Echidna
02-22-2015, 10:43 AM
I haven't been on SL in ages :/
Mostly because I'm so busy doing merstuff iRL, heh.

But yea, I would love a year-round warm, suitable swimspace for myself.
Winter sucks in merterms.

Mermaid_Syrenity<3
02-24-2015, 02:53 AM
Sl is the only place i can for a mer swim since i dont have a tail yet but it would be nice to change that.

OceanWhisper
02-24-2015, 04:19 AM
Maybe I should join? :) looks like fun

Mermaid_Syrenity<3
02-24-2015, 10:32 PM
It is fun OceanWhisper. I try to get on daily if I can.

Aquatic Raider
02-25-2015, 12:31 AM
I don't know why it never occurred to me that you could make merpeople in second life. Remedied that today. If anyone is down for SL shenanigans or mer-roleplays my name is AquaRaider.

Has anyone ever found any active mer-roleplays on SL?

Mermaid_Syrenity<3
02-25-2015, 01:05 AM
Iv found a good few on rp sims Aquatic Raider but not many outside of that really though.

Echidna
02-25-2015, 05:55 AM
wow Raider, that tail is beautiful!

There is a mer RP community in Mystara. Maybe in Estara, too.
I'm on very seldom sadly, so I cannot say how active they are, but last I was, there were people there.

Mermaid Reiko
02-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Well Mystara is closing down on March 10th officially. :/ The owner Annie can no longer keep all three sims going. There is a swimable place that's not as beautiful in the Sim Convergence outside the city. Mystara is a very active community, and I was co-lead for the merfolk for awhile. I'm sad to see it go after playing there for three years as well as a Mentor. The Isle of Eyr will be opening up by the Fae lead Joshua, Annie as the builder. I'm not sure how long that will last sadly, or if one sim will have enough for an underwater area.:(

Also come check out my Second Life Store. I do have a couple things up, and a mertail for sale ^__^

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/140787

Mermaid Reiko
02-25-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't know why it never occurred to me that you could make merpeople in second life. Remedied that today. If anyone is down for SL shenanigans or mer-roleplays my name is AquaRaider.

Has anyone ever found any active mer-roleplays on SL?

Yeah! They are mostly in roleplay communities. My name is Reiko Mayo on Sl, come and find me. If I'm not busy Admining the Sim Convergence. ^__^ I play a merman there named Reiko Fastuosa Datura.
http://convergence.enjin.com/underkin

Mermaid Reiko
02-25-2015, 09:10 AM
wow Raider, that tail is beautiful!

There is a mer RP community in Mystara. Maybe in Estara, too.
I'm on very seldom sadly, so I cannot say how active they are, but last I was, there were people there.

Estara closed down, and Mystara is closing on 3-10-2015

Mermaid Reiko
02-25-2015, 09:22 AM
In SL we also have our own mer terminology for language for when were off sim. A few other mesh-tail makers are on there working on the better tails. Jomo, Kol makes the cheaper end tails that look better. Just make sure when purchasing a SL tail, if its under 200L it's most likely non mesh and don't flow easily like a real fish tail. ^__^27680 This is an example of the tail that I have for me that I made. Its partial mesh and typically this type of tail would be 200-400L in second life. They even have full mesh avatars out there for mer, but unfortunately you can't adjust the body, the way you would like. You loose your ability to customize but still you have that ability. If anyone have any further questions on SL, don't hesitate to ask. I have been active on there since April 2007. :)

Echidna
02-26-2015, 05:41 AM
Estara closed down, and Mystara is closing on 3-10-2015

aw no :(
that sucks.

I've seen so many RP sims- and really beautiful fantasy sims open to everyone- vanish, just to be replaced by a generic block of concrete with stuff for sale in it.
Or a square piece of nothing with a house and "beachfront property for rent!!" advertisements.

It's what keeps me from logging too frequently.
You never know when the wonderful places that were there will be gone, and instead you will be greeted by a robot who threatens to log you off if you don't "vanish this instant!!"

And hundreds of red off-limits zones if you just want to fly a bit around and explore.
I can understand why people make their own servers.

My dream would be to export my SL stuff and avatars (and some of the UI) into a real MMO.
That'd be awesome lol.

Midakwe
07-01-2015, 03:05 AM
I used to love playing around in SL! I used to frequent Fanci's deep and Morgan's Straits before it closed down. I stopped playing after I briefly dated a pirate from there who ended up being a bit of a con man... be careful who you meet on SL in RL! Lol.

bennett999
08-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Man I signed up for second life a few days ago and it is amazing. My name is bennett999 on SL if you want to add me

Fun123joker
08-14-2015, 10:33 PM
i actually never heard of second life until now. ill look in to it

SeaMansa
08-28-2015, 06:12 AM
OKAY!!! So I just joined this second life thing.... I love it already and all I have done is fly around a bit :3 how to I get a tail and swim??? ive been to this place to get a free tail...but whenever I get it, my body doesn't change or anything..... help!!!!

SeaMansa
08-28-2015, 06:48 AM
So I kind of figured out how to get my tail on... but now I am swimming around with just a fluke.... I am literally not wearing pants... I have no idea what I'm doing o.o

Echidna
08-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Is your tail mesh?
If yes, you lose your lower body and it's replaced with the sculpted fluke, so no worries.
To change back, you might need to wear the "reverse-mesh" item after taking off the tail, and then put your clothes back on.
There are also prim tails/flukes, which are simply added on top of your pants (the pants themselves become the tailbody), but they are going out of style despite the animations being better.

ShyKaiju
08-28-2015, 02:31 PM
I play Secondlife. It's been a wonderful creative outlet for me. If I'm stressed or have art block, I tend to mess around with avatars or photography. :)
My username is Moxie Venom.
I hope these pictures arn't too big. If so, I'll remove them and add a link instead~

http://i.imgur.com/drKYosU.png
http://i.imgur.com/7iyU5bT.png
http://i.imgur.com/wBrtuLS.png
http://i.imgur.com/C2f8SR9.png

azaiya
08-29-2015, 02:35 PM
I really enjoy Second Life as a creative outlet too! It helps with my mermaid-cravings when I can't get into the water.

I saw mystara mentioned earlier in the thread. it did close down, but there's a new sim that's a spin-off of sorts called Mysts of Eyr (http://mystsofeyr.com). the build is absolutely stunning, especially the underwater areas for merms. there are sea-caves, an amazing custom coral reef build (with little kelp nests for merms to sleep or sit in), and waterways that connect mer to ponds and lakes and almost every area of the sim! no little pond in the corner like other RP sims.

There's also a mer-themed shopping even going on right now called Enchantment. Lots of cool merm-stuffs there, so i recommend checking it out! Just look for it in search.

I'm happy to help anyone from mernetwork with getting set up with a tail and everything in SL, so feel free to add me (Azaiya Aeon), and just let me know who you are!

Mermaid Wesley
08-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Very cool

Echidna
08-30-2015, 05:21 AM
That new region looks fantastic, azaiya!
I'm going there as soon as I can get my PC fixed which died on me 3 days ago :(

azaiya
08-30-2015, 07:20 PM
It actually looks even better now! They just updated the reef.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/666/20801132888_f4edd3b433_b.jpg

Mermaid Wesley
08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Oooh... I was in mystara but when It closed I couldn't find a suitable replacement but this I like.

Aphros_Triton
08-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Ima just drop this here :) 32643 me and siren (creator & owner of TSL) came up with this line for an event in SL .

Aphros_Triton
08-31-2015, 08:10 PM
32644 and this is me ha :) add me if yall want AphrosTriton

Aerinde
11-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Hello, hello! I'm unsure if it's alright to bump (it hasn't had any replies in awhile), but I just recently got into the merfolk lifestyle on second life, and I'm hanging around in Blake/Fanci deep quite a bit. I have only run across a few other mers, though, so far.

My username is Azaziel Mistwalker if anyone would like to add me, though!

azaiya
01-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Some friends of mine have been working hard at putting together a mer-centered roleplay sim in SL!

It's called Odanydwr. Here's a link to get there inside SL (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Haven%20of%20Odanydwr/132/84/2931).

It's right next to a really amazing merfolk sim another friend of mine created too. Everybody's welcome, even if you don't RP.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1516/23925764372_ae9860268f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CseNbQ)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1466/23651581284_2050f3a4a5_c.jpg

if you want to see more photos, there are a bunch on my flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/azaiya/), and I'll probably be uploading more!

If you're an active mermaid/merman in SL, get in touch with me! I'm Azaiya Aeon (also known as Lyga)

Mermaid Wesley
01-10-2016, 02:02 AM
AW HELL YEAH. I'm active sporadically but I have lotsa mermaid stuff and like no normal clothes so I'm very excited about the prospect of an active mermaid rp sim. I'm not home but I'll try to figure this when I get there.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-10-2016, 03:39 AM
Can't get it to run on my computer...

*sigh*

I will to wait till it breathes its last breath before I can get a new pc!

Mermaid Rillia
01-10-2016, 07:07 AM
I just joined SL. :) Im MermaidRillia :)

Echidna
01-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Odanydwr looks fantastic!

I'll drop by for sure if my bad PC luck ever decides to abate :cry:

Mermaid Wesley
01-13-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm gonna stop in later tonight when I get home. I would love to play with y'all!!

Mermaid Wesley
01-13-2016, 04:21 AM
wow! seems really cool! i'll definitely be back!

Aphros_Triton
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Hai guys :) feel free to add me on SL <3 ! I also have a flicker and suchhhh

Aphros_Triton
02-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Aphrostriton 35487 me in SL :)

malinghi
02-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I joined SL a really long time ago. I think it might have been 2007. I was pretty disappointed by the fact there was nothing to do, the graphics weren't great, and the controls were really difficult. I've checked it out occasionally since then but it still wasn't great. If it's turned into a decent place for RP that works be awesome but I'm not holding my breath. I'd like to check it out though.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Wesley
02-01-2016, 11:23 PM
but I'm not holding my breath. I'd like to check it out though.

Ba dum tssssss

Echidna
02-02-2016, 02:57 AM
I joined SL a really long time ago. I think it might have been 2007. I was pretty disappointed by the fact there was nothing to do

There is plenty to do, but most don't realize SL isn't a game, it's a platform.
Just like in real life, there is no one holding your hand telling you what to do, YOU have to find out what you'd like your stay to be.

I agree though that unless one is into building, designing and other creative stuff, SL seems quite barren.

malinghi
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
There is plenty to do, but most don't realize SL isn't a game, it's a platform.
Just like in real life, there is no one holding your hand telling you what to do, YOU have to find out what you'd like your stay to be.

I agree though that unless one is into building, designing and other creative stuff, SL seems quite barren.
That's a good point. So what do you typically do in SL?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Echidna
02-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Me, when I started back in 2007, I started with making clothes, accessories and avatars which did not exist back then,
like traditional chinese clothing (literally hundreds of those, all styles and dynasties, also some minority outfits), dancing outfits, skating dresses, ballet shoes, etcetc.

I made a lot of fantasy avatars, buildings, loads of stuff.
Mermaid things were on the side, I was into the serpent/dragon/fairy market.

That took me several years, but at one point, I had simply made everything I was interested in making, so I'm only seldom logging into SL these days.
Usually I check what's new (and some of the things I made are STILL not available on the market, or in a version I don't like), maybe chat with some friends if they're on.

If they are on and have nothing else planned, we might meet somewhere, go RP, dance, or just talk.
I'm not a big partygoer, but there are clubs with dance and live music all over SL.

There is also the possibility of investing a bit of money in SL, then you can rent a place, furnish it, and hang out there, which is probably neat, but I lack the time and interest for that right now with my busy RL.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Me, when I started back in 2007, I started with making clothes, accessories and avatars which did not exist back then,
like traditional chinese clothing (literally hundreds of those, all styles and dynasties, also some minority outfits), dancing outfits, skating dresses, ballet shoes, etcetc.

I made a lot of fantasy avatars, buildings, loads of stuff.
Mermaid things were on the side, I was into the serpent/dragon/fairy market.

That took me several years, but at one point, I had simply made everything I was interested in making, so I'm only seldom logging into SL these days.
Usually I check what's new (and some of the things I made are STILL not available on the market, or in a version I don't like), maybe chat with some friends if they're on.

If they are on and have nothing else planned, we might meet somewhere, go RP, dance, or just talk.
I'm not a big partygoer, but there are clubs with dance and live music all over SL.

There is also the possibility of investing a bit of money in SL, then you can rent a place, furnish it, and hang out there, which is probably neat, but I lack the time and interest for that right now with my busy RL.
I watched a documentary last year, where some people quit their jobs, to play in Second Life, because they were making better money in the game, than in real life.

Mermaid Lily_Pad
02-03-2016, 08:03 PM
I own a store, though I don't have a storefront anymore. I just sell on the marketplace. I don't make a heck of a lot, certainly not enough to live on but now and then I will pull out $50.00 or so. Nice as spare cash.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Second Life night club owners, furniture makers and clothes. That's what they showed. Some guy quit his $300,000 a year job, just so he could make millions in it. To me, sounds a bit fishy unless you're dealing in something that's not allowed in-game? I dunno. Really don't know how you could quit a nice paying job, with perks and stuff to live your life inside a game.

Kunoichi Ribeiro
02-03-2016, 09:27 PM
I had join SL a few years ago, but i don't adapt to. Was very complicated for me, so i stay where i was before, on IMVU is basic the same thing, but you don't need memorize 100 thousand ways to walk, fly and etc. Its so cool as SL. And the things are not so expensive. 35538

Echidna
02-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Second Life night club owners, furniture makers and clothes. That's what they showed. Some guy quit his $300,000 a year job, just so he could make millions in it.

Eh....I'm really not sure.
Well-done, artistic furniture/houses and especially well-programmed gadgets sell for quite a few L$, that's true, but if you converse that to real currency, what you gain is minuscule.

You'd have to sell thousands upon thousands of items to make any noticable profit- a bit of cash on the side I can imagine, but enough to quit a well-paying job?
There is nothing legal I can imagine that will make you that kind of money in SL.

An agency once wanted to hire me as a translator and interpreter, but they wanted to pay me in SL average wages so to speak for work taking just as much time iRL
(I think it amounted to something like 10 Cent for half an hour work or so).

As for nightclub owners, the rent is insane, same as for any SIM.
I don't see how you could make that money back from Linden Lab- and if you do, the profit is probably small.

The only thing that could work imo is using SL as a platform to sell your RL skills/products.
So you make the contacts on SL, but provide services iRL and charge for it likewise.

Mermaid Adrienne
02-05-2016, 10:46 PM
yup, I'm on there... Red Queen is my username. mer with black hair.

PhaylennMurúch
02-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Eh....I'm really not sure.
Well-done, artistic furniture/houses and especially well-programmed gadgets sell for quite a few L$, that's true, but if you converse that to real currency, what you gain is minuscule.

You'd have to sell thousands upon thousands of items to make any noticable profit- a bit of cash on the side I can imagine, but enough to quit a well-paying job?
There is nothing legal I can imagine that will make you that kind of money in SL.

An agency once wanted to hire me as a translator and interpreter, but they wanted to pay me in SL average wages so to speak for work taking just as much time iRL
(I think it amounted to something like 10 Cent for half an hour work or so).

As for nightclub owners, the rent is insane, same as for any SIM.
I don't see how you could make that money back from Linden Lab- and if you do, the profit is probably small.

The only thing that could work imo is using SL as a platform to sell your RL skills/products.
So you make the contacts on SL, but provide services iRL and charge for it likewise.

*raises hand* you can also make quite a bit of money putting a tip jar out and dancing in the adult areas

Sheba Metaluna
04-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I love SL and have been on it for a long time. My name on there is Sheba Metaluna. I am also a club owner and as far as rent goes, I pay $25 usd a month for my land and music stream. I have no intention of making SL my primary job though, I see it as more of a place to unwind and relax. It is also a nice creative outlet. :)

SuperMegaNick
04-27-2016, 07:55 PM
I have SL as well and I RP a mermaid (technically siren) there. I am SM Nick, or supermeganick being my username.

MermaidFifi
05-24-2016, 07:50 PM
I play SL, but man I think I'm a bit late to comment lol. Still play too

Mermaid Adrienne
05-24-2016, 11:55 PM
I get on when I cant swim in real life :/ 37030 usually I cant decide what colour tail I should have so I mix and match with the same design.

JazzminVyper
10-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but. . .another SL mermaid, reporting for duty.

SynthSkin
12-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Just poking my nose in to see if anyone is still active on SL, I've recently re-joined SL (Took a 4 - 5 year hiatus because "I'm not sure why, life?") and will be RPing a merfolk on the sim Song of Silverwind once my application is approved.

https://gyazo.com/29b36d3812cb8ce43b633a4362d0836e
^me

Not the greatest tail, but I haven't found one I like enough to drop hundreds/thousands of L$ on yet.
Hope to see some of you folk around~