PDA

View Full Version : San Diego #1 city to be a mermaid.

deepblue
01-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I can't argue that. I flipping love it here. So much coast, such great weather. Yet we have no merfest. I know someone on FB has set up a Mermaid fest of some kind for August, but no further word in ages about it.

Of course, they start off with "San Diego may be pricey"- home prices, yes. But rentals and cost of living aren't really pricey compared to any other large city, and we have our cheaper areas like every place.

Anyway, on to the article:
http://blog.estately.com/2013/07/13-best-u-s-cities-for-mermaids-to-live/

(http://blog.estately.com/2013/07/13-best-u-s-cities-for-mermaids-to-live/)

spottedcatfish
01-05-2014, 01:21 AM
San Diego is an awesome place to live!!

Anahita
01-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Bahaha, Long Beach is on the list (it's pretty close to where I live, I go there all the time because my mom and one of my friends lives there)

spottedcatfish
01-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Long beach is awesome too!!

Anahita
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Southern California is pretty much a whole heap of awesome. :)

I do wish we'd get some rain though, if only so we don't have so many "red flag" warnings. But then again.... I probably sound ungrateful for all the awesome, beautiful weather we've been having when all our friends on the East Coast have been living in a Frozen-esque situation. :$

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Interestingly, there's other sources supporting mythical marine life in San Diego. In the Aquaman comics, half the city sank and its population were mysteriously altered to breathe water instead of air, causing Aquaman to relocate to the newly renamed "Sub Diego" to guide them in their new aquatic lifestyle. And each of the major modern world of darkness role-playing games features a city populated by that game's creatures... San Diego and Tijuana were the location for the fan-made offshoot called Leviathan: The Tempest (in which players take on the role of people descended from a bloodline of primordial sea monsters, combining themes and elements from ancient aquatic gods and goddesses, modern marine biology, creeping lovecraftian entities, and the creature from the black lagoon). According to the game designers, this location was chosen because of the duality, artificial separation and odd division between the two... all themes that fit merfolk well.

malinghi
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Yet we have no merfest. I know someone on FB has set up a Mermaid fest of some kind for August, but no further word in ages about it.

Are you referring to this? It's a bit mysterious since there isn't much info available yet.
https://www.facebook.com/events/493310560680472/

deepblue
01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Yep, that's the one. Haven't heard a thing since it was put on FB.

deepblue
01-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Oooh there's this! Someone on the NCMerfest FB Group just posted this:

The Pacific Coast Mermaid Festival is scheduled for June 28 & 29, 2014 in conjunction with the Belmont Pier Pirate Invasion in Long Beach, California. The event will be free to attend and the Mer Folk will be able to encamp on the beach Friday and Saturday night. There will be entertainment and food. A new pool has been build next to the beach where the encampment will be and there will be opportunities for vendors to exhibit on the pier. If you've never been to California, June is the perfect time of year for it! The weather is great, the temperature during the day is about 80 degrees. There is no humidity to speak of. Do hope you all can attend. Please Like and Share with all your Mer Friends. A link for the event will be on fb soon! We'll post a link here soon.

Long Beach! With planning, this is totally doable for me and my bf. Oh man, I cannot wait for more info!

Interestingly, there's other sources supporting mythical marine life in San Diego. In the Aquaman comics, half the city sank and its population were mysteriously altered to breathe water instead of air, causing Aquaman to relocate to the newly renamed "Sub Diego" to guide them in their new aquatic lifestyle. And each of the major modern world of darkness role-playing games features a city populated by that game's creatures... San Diego and Tijuana were the location for the fan-made offshoot called Leviathan: The Tempest (in which players take on the role of people descended from a bloodline of primordial sea monsters, combining themes and elements from ancient aquatic gods and goddesses, modern marine biology, creeping lovecraftian entities, and the creature from the black lagoon). According to the game designers, this location was chosen because of the duality, artificial separation and odd division between the two... all themes that fit merfolk well.

Makes sense to me. :) San Diego's waters are so lovely, and our beaches are absolute magic. The tale I've been working on for nearly a year now takes place in San Diego for the most part, not only because I live here and know it so well, but also because there is much to work with when it comes to mers. And sure, there's a lot of San Diego east of the I-5, as we say... but for me, there is no life east of the I-5. lol (I grew up in SD's east county, it's more like a desert and scrub valley than coastal out there!)

spottedcatfish
01-06-2014, 03:16 AM
I googled the Pacific coast Mermaid Festival and nothing came up. Do you have a link for more information?

Anahita
01-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I googled the Pacific coast Mermaid Festival and nothing came up. Do you have a link for more information?

Maybe the Pirate Invasion would have the info?

Although, the PCMF is different from the other one in August (if the one in August is still happening)

deepblue
01-06-2014, 09:35 AM
I haven't seen anything else about it- but since the person who posted that did on the NCMerfest group, I'm thinking they probably know about Mernetwork, and will post the info in the events section, when they have it. I'll be keeping my eyes open for it!