PDA

View Full Version : Woke up with dried blood in my ears!

Seatan
01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Yesterday I went swimming and dived down to about twelve feet. I equalized my ears as I did so. This morning I woke up, looked in the mirror, and there was dried blood in my ears. I do not know if it happened yesterday or overnight because I didn't look in the mirror before bed. It is both ears. I have never had this happen before and find it very disconcerting. There is no pain at all, so it's not a ruptured eardrum or swimmer's ear. Has this happened to anyone else?

MermanZen
01-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Like after swimming in a 12ft pool my ears do feel weird but I've never had them bleed. I wouldn't worry but just in case I might see my doctor if it happened to me

Seatan
01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I read up on ears a little and it was probably because I twisted my fingers in my ears after being at the pool to clear out any last water. My nails are pretty sharp and I probably scratched them. I SCUBA dive, so I know how to equalize and there wasn't even enough pressure to burst my eardrum, plus I don't have any symptoms of a ruptured eardrum. I have gone down twelve feet before without being able to equalize, and you definitely know you've done it. I had a headache for nearly a week when I did that. Since there's no pain and it was just a little bit of blood (I didn't even notice it was bleeding, it just dried on my ears), I'm not going to the doctor today. Since it's Sunday, I would have to go to a 24/7 clinic, and my insurance doesn't cover that. I might drop in to see a doctor Monday if I have any more problems, but I am betting now that I just scratched the inside of my ears. One of those moments where you KNOW you're not supposed to twist your fingers in your ears, but it's so nice and satisfying that you do it anyway, LOL... It just freaked me out when I first saw it. If I have any pain or drainage, I will see the doctor tomorrow.

Echidna
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I read up on ears a little and it was probably because I twisted my fingers in my ears after being at the pool to clear out any last water. My nails are pretty sharp and I probably scratched them.

OUCH!!
Never put your fingers or tools into your ears.
If you have water left inside, try shaking it out, if that doesn't work, you can drain it using a vinegar solution or eardrops.

If you have no pain whatsoever, it's probably not that bad though, especially if you don't notice any difference in hearing.
Good luck!

PearlieMae
01-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Never such anything in your ears smaller than your elbow! That's what my Mammaw always said!

I use a few drops of rubbing alcohol (91%) because A: it's sterile; B: it breaks the surface tension of the water and it flows right out. IT NEVER FAILS.

Trim those nails, girlie! ;)

Mermaid Oshun
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htbo1yW6qeU

Miyu
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Scary! I have scratched my ears before too. I try really hard to not stick my nails in past my outer ear though, I usually have an ear scoop around or at least some Q-tips. My nails are always breaking so they're pretty sharp usually :P

So, after swimming, I should try putting rubbing alcohol in there? Do I just lean over and have someone pour a couple drops in my ear?

Seatan
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Oh my GOD I am such an idiot!!!!!!!! My ears are fine, guys!!! It wasn't blood.... it was my red shampoo! *lets out a huge breath of relief* I am such a moron... I washed my hair with swimmer's shampoo, then put on red conditioner. I didn't have a clean towel, so I squeezed it dry, which meant my ears didn't get wiped well. Hence it looked like blood dried up the next morning. I figured it out when my ears started feeling itchy after I got them wet again--aka, after the soap still in there slicked up and made it feel itchy! Thank God, I was really worried....

Miyu
01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
>.<

I've done that before with my pink conditioner...

MermanZen
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
OMG thank God lol god thing it was really shampoo and not blood God a little scary there for a moment