PDA

View Full Version : NCMerfets in the news: give em hell in the comments

AniaR
01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Let anchor Mike Morse know how kick ass the mer community is, and give em hell in the comments

http://www.wncn.com/story/24356434/real-talk-mermaids-raleigh-times-porsche-and-girl-scouts

drucilla
01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Is there a read only version? My computers sound no longer works.

Jessica
01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
:mad:Mermen are awesome....this guy is just jealous because he would look like a merblob in a tail :anger explode:

Merman Arion
01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
I just wrote my comment. That felt so good! :)

AniaR
01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I FOUND THE ANCHORS PAGE PLEASE GO LEAVE HIM SOME COMMENTS https://www.facebook.com/MikeMorseTVRadio?ref=ts&fref=ts

deepblue
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Me thinks he protests too much. Makes me wonder who bullied him out of his dreams as a kid, geesh. Get some therapy, Mike.

Echidna
01-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Tss.
They both act like schmucks.
I disliked them even before they got to dissing mers- too much grimacing and silly prepubescent laughing :p

MerAnthony
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I left a comment on his page. I think he has no clue on what he is talking about.

Mermaid Bella
01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Those two were embarressing to watch. But nowhere near as bad as our local newsdouche koshi

Mermaid Adriel
01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
forgive my ignorance, but I can't understand a lot just hearing them.
can you briefly tell me what they said so bad?

Echidna
01-08-2014, 07:56 PM
forgive my ignorance, but I can't understand a lot just hearing them.
can you briefly tell me what they said so bad?

It was not so much what they said, but how.
They were behaving like highschool bullies, and such puerile behaviour, combined with mean remarks supposed to be funny for a childish audience, is just embarrassing for someone who considers themselves a professional.

That said, I was surprised to see this, because I was under the impression mermaiding was rather wide-spread and accepted in the US.
Now I know better. Those two guys behaved just as I'd expect people around here to regard mermaiding
(a tad less infantile perhaps. I had similar reactions, but those were mostly from teens).

Ariadne
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Done and done!

Mermaid Adriel
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
@caltuna Thank you. Iagree: I also thought that mermaiding was a common thing in USA, but unfortunately we all are surrounded by childish people like these two pseudo-TV hosts :anger explode:

Mermaid Bella
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
We have a free newspaper that is available to people riding the train called mx, they printed some nice articles about some local an international mers. Heaps of people posted pictures and rude comments on facebook about it and I told off heaps of them, and subsequently outing myself as mer. Worth it though to see people that pride themselves on being nice in public backtracking so quickly lol.

shimmygoddess
01-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Mike Morse is just a jerk! He used to be on the local radio show too, not sure if he was fired or what...but those comments were just rude!

Elle
01-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Those two were embarressing to watch. But nowhere near as bad as our local newsdouche koshi

yep, Koshi is definitely a newsdouche. For days my fb newsfeed was full of breastfeeding stuff after that badly choosen statement

Blondie
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
They aren't even professional in the slightest. And that's even before they started talking about Merfest. Sloppy, rude, and annoying. Both of them.

AniaR
01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
the comments on his personal fan page are hilarious. christomer photoshopped a tail on him LOL

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 12:02 AM
"I am embarrassed on your behalf, for your rude, narrowminded, uninformed remarks about a community of people you couldn't even be bothered to have an intern research for you.

I am extraordinarily surprised that, as a person of color, you would launch into a broadcast segment laying bare your snark and preconceived notions of a group of people you obviously know nothing about. You not only insult merfolk, but any group that enjoys a common subject, a hobby, a philosophy.

What a sad, little life you must lead."

NerineArcticMermaid
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
I posted my own response to him also outing my personal page as mermaid and giving away my mer-sona. I think in this case it was worth it. I wonder if he has responded to any of the comments yet?

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I can understand what's going on here a little bit. I was born in the Southern part of the US. I must say that they can tend to be a bit less progressive and cling more to conservative values than in other parts of the country. Part of that includes, of course, the man's role. So I would think that most men in the South would embrace a similar attitude about a man wearing a mer outfit. Of course there are mermen everywhere, but maybe this will help you understand this guy's point of view. Also, some of the young folk in the South are probably embracing more radical points of views but this TV host is not one of them.
This is not to excuse what he said but just to put it in more of a cultural context so it's more understandable. SO you guys are helping the South to catch up with the rest of us ! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Riia
01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Oh wow :( well that was inappropriate. But there's no need us leaving mean comments inreturn, that would lower us to his childish level. He might need some feedback regarding his attitude and that not all opinions are meant to be shared publicly.. but everyone attacking him tut tut tut... He can't hurt the community so why bother :)

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I was raised in the South as well, and no Kentucky woman I know of would tolerate Mike Morse's brand of bull for half a minute. 'Boys will be boys' is no excuse, and 'Good ol' boys...' is even less acceptable, in my opinion.

Aziara
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
I find it hard to take their commentary seriously since they're being so idiotic with literally everything they say. Some reason, I can't get the comments to load on the bottom of the page. I had more of a 'bah, idiots' reaction rather than a 'they attacked mermaiding!' reaction.

Jessica
01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
I was raised in the South as well, and no Kentucky woman I know of would tolerate Mike Morse's brand of bull for half a minute. 'Boys will be boys' is no excuse, and 'Good ol' boys...' is even less acceptable, in my opinion.

This is an excellent point! Where you live doesn't excuse this kind of unprofessional behavior at all. Southern women don't put up with this kind of crap from men....at least no one I know around here!

I find it all the more disgusting and repulsive that this idiot would act this way on tv right after a Girl Scout segment! Can you imagine what the kids and their parents thought? One minute this guy has little girls on his show and the next he is bashing mermen and talking about his attraction to Ariel! Did he not even stop to consider that these little girls probably LIKE mermaids and Ariel?! Not to mention....it's totally inappropriate to talk about Disney characters like that on what I assume is supposed to be a family friendly show since they had a Girl Scouts segment!

Elle
01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Just thought you'd all like to see their response to the outrage

http://www.wncn.com/video?clipId=9712601&autostart=true

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 04:46 PM
So now, he's sort of backpedalled with what starts out as an apology, says he's gone to some of our websites where he says we claim to be real live mermaids "No, you're not", he says, and then goes on to tell his audience that he still thinks we are weird.

http://www.wncn.com/story/24407104/real-talk-mer

ChristoMer challenged him to come swim in a tail, and he refuses to do it.

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey Elle! GMTA!

Elle
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
lol....I was looking on the site to see if he'd actually made an apology. I don't have much else to do at quarter to 8 in the morning :)

And may I just say I think it looks weird to where deep open collar shirts unless you're Greek or Italian :D

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
And may I just say I think it looks weird to where deep open collar shirts unless you're Greek or Italian :D

No, that's weird and creepy everywhere. Even if you're Fabio.

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah he said what I said he thought. Also they have to make a few funnies here and there to make the show a little interesting. The good thing is he said he would come to a Mer Event!!! But I don't blame him for holding to his guns and not agreeing to wear a tail at one ...YET. That, after all is each person's prerogative. AND he said they put this on a show about each person trying to "do better" I thank them for covering it at all.. Apparently no one else even covered the event. So I think we should thank WNCN for covering the event and extend a more gracious invitation for them to join you guys out at the Cary Aquatic Center for a friendly swim to make a truce :group hug:

Elle
01-09-2014, 05:07 PM
No, that's weird and creepy everywhere. Even if you're Fabio.

it can't be pulled off without the chest hair.....but yes it's still creepy lol :)

I think he could of at least agreed to the race with a pair of flippers.
I don't think he understand the time and commitment taken to being a mer. The physical strength required to do some of the things that mers do.

He also didn't make an actual apology. He simply stated that what we do is okay (he wouldn't take it away from us) but we aren't real and it's still weird (mermen) in his book

Mermaid Bella
01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Does he understand that king triton is a merman....?

Jessica
01-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Mermaids don't exist.....but we're as real as it gets! Many mers on here do describe themselves as "real" mermaids because they are running a business! Kids look at Facebook pages too and it would destroy the magic of meeting a "real" mermaid otherwise. Kids truly believe that we're real....why should we destroy that for them? We let them believe in Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth Fairy....is letting them believe in mermaids so different?

We are artists and what we do is simply living breathing art. It's a shame that he can't understand that.

I also find it interesting that he just picked the most negative comments from here. Yes, guys I know.....what I said was mean....but I still think all the crap he said about mermen was so much worse!

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
well you also must understand that he doesnt know if the group is full of a bunch of loonies who really THINK they really are mermaids. I mean you've got to admit there is some really crazy sh*t on the internet. So if I were speaking with him I would take the time to explain that no one here is schizophrenic and really think they are a real mermaid (I dont think :lol:) But it is an art form, a hobby and a performance career for many to provide entertainment and happiness for kids at kid's parties! I would also remind him that there is a lot of seriousness and dread in life and this is one way that some of us enjoy keeping a bit of fun and playfulness in life that takes the edge off. After all you've got to stop and enjoy the roses sometimes right?

shimmygoddess
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I was surprised to see he used my quote. I really do hope he comes to an event to see what its about. Unfortunately there are people like this all over the place. Being a bellydancer, we get lots of haters and judgmental people and also hear the rude comments people make. I try and stay positive and move on.

AniaR
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
He replied, and demonstrated he really didnt understand why people were upset, and that he really made no effort to educate himself. I'm bummed he didn't use my comments as a quote because I think they really woulda explained it :p http://www.wncn.com/video?clipId=9712601&autostart=true

Jessica
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I was surprised to see he used my quote. I really do hope he comes to an event to see what its about. Unfortunately there are people like this all over the place. Being a bellydancer, we get lots of haters and judgmental people and also hear the rude comments people make. I try and stay positive and move on.

Rude comments are all too common online. I'm just rather surprised that someone with a show would openly show so much hate and disdain for something they don't understand. He is really setting a poor example for children....there is so much hatred in this world already. He had a chance to set an example by showing tolerance and respect, but he failed miserably.

You're right though....I think it is time to move on and forget about this!

shimmygoddess
01-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I want to add that he did not use my whole quote, only the first part. Nothing that talks about entertainment for parties, ect.

He replied, and demonstrated he really didnt understand why people were upset, and that he really made no effort to educate himself. I'm bummed he didn't use my comments as a quote because I think they really woulda explained it :p http://www.wncn.com/video?clipId=9712601&autostart=true

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 05:40 PM
I think he's probably a nice guy, he was just making a funny. And he probably has conservative values about gender. He probably doesnt think its his duty to teach morality or tolerance. He's just trying to cater to his audience in NC. But I agree it would have been nice if he had been prepped and made more positive statements... There is always NEXT YEAR for the next MERFEST in NC!!!

Elle
01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
yes, he said he'd go along to an event. I think co-ordinators will have to send them an invite

Mermaid Bella
01-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I think co-ordinators should send me and you an invite Elle... also fly us there lol

Elle
01-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I think co-ordinators should send me and you an invite Elle... also fly us there lol

That would be AWESOME! :D

NerineArcticMermaid
01-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Oh wow :( well that was inappropriate. But there's no need us leaving mean comments inreturn, that would lower us to his childish level. He might need some feedback regarding his attitude and that not all opinions are meant to be shared publicly.. but everyone attacking him tut tut tut... He can't hurt the community so why bother :)
I was sure to make my response as professional as possible. no foul language. Just pointingout how unprofessional he was ect.. :)

MermanZen
01-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Ya ok Mike Morse I change you to swim with a tail!!!! and not just a beginners one I mean full out silicone merman tail then we'll see. he will see what it takes to be a Mer. the strength and effort it takes some of us just to create or save up our money to buy or make our own tail. because what he said on live TV was unacceptable, and to tell you the truth Mers he's going to have an uproar on his hand for insulting and entire community a community that probity out numbers a small country!!!!:anger explode: any respect this community might ever had for him is destroyed.

MermanZen
01-11-2014, 09:59 PM
sorry but this really upsets me, before I found my true passion for mermaning I was feeling really down like I didn't matter to anyone. this passion changed my life for the better and I've met some of the most strongest most talented and most friendliest people one this one site then anywhere else. Mers are not weird and what we do inspires and helps us more then he could ever know and so i think we need to make our passions clear. we might be weak alone but like most of the creatures of the sea were strong together, not just together in our own state, pod or area but as a whole community we can fight for the respect we deserve. this isn't to get famous this is to make our voice heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echidna
01-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Aw man, the response clearly shows he has NO clue and is an opinionated tool.
There were loads of comments explaining mermaiding is about awareness of the environment, the importance of our waters, etcetc, and also a show-act for children.

And he picks out some general statements containing none of that, and condescendingly states that it's "ok" to have a weird hobby, because "each to their own".
As if we all were silly children, which he pats on their heads generously allowing us to be silly.

I doubt someone this dead-set in their superficial world-view will ever be educated about things beyond their mind's horizon.
Sad, because he doesn't seem to be a mean guy, but hey, we tried.
Time to move on.

-Annwyn-
01-15-2014, 07:09 AM
He says he has a daughter who loves mermaids. Would he not just be her absolute hero if they went along to a convention and had a try? :) I facepalmed hard while watching that interview. Though he did step back and said it was alright if other people did it but it wasn't his cup of tea, it does still lose my faith in humanity to think that somebody like an anchorman for a mainstream channel cannot open their minds just a little bit. Instead, he gets paid to promote that kind of irritating mainstream sensationalism that is only said in order to go viral. I think the NC merfest should be an example to how a convention is really run. :) And kudos to the mermen!

AniaR
01-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Our local anchorman put a tail on at the ocean and filmed a whole segment!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MermanZen
01-15-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree, I he'd just take the chance to look into it a little more then he might see why we are Mers and why we love what we do and why we did his comments so offensive.

Elle
01-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Our local anchorman put a tail on at the ocean and filmed a whole segment!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I WANT TO SEE THIS!!!

AniaR
01-15-2014, 05:44 PM
my friend Mermaid Fare (she specializes in mermaid cooking) got local news anchor in a blue tail and they filmed a whole segment and he didnt make fun or anything. He ate seaweed snacks.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1422588_10151769166438002_1559529468_n.jpg

Elle
01-15-2014, 06:13 PM
That's awesome. It makes me want to live in Canada....if it wasn't so cold!