PDA

View Full Version : Kailani's 2014 NCMerfest Report/Reflection

Mermaid Kalliope
01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Okay! So, now it is my turn to type up my NCMerfest report/story/whathaveyou.

SO! A huge thank you to ChristoMer Starfish and Mermaid Hyli to start off. I couldn't have come without their help. ^_^

Before going, I was extremely nervous and worried. I had talked to some of you online before and felt like friends, but I had never met a single one of you in person. I kept hearing about people who had met others and how great it'd be to see them again. "Great... No one will know me, and I might be that awkward acquaintance that every one is nice to out of manners and politeness. I'm going to be on the edge of all the groups of people and no one knows who I am in the community... " was going through my head. I was so excited to meet people like Hyli, Iona (Who sadly could not attend), Lanai (Who also couldn't attend), Raina, and many others that I knew would be there, but I was afraid that a few of them would brush me off because I'm such a small time mer. Boy, was I wrong.

As I sat lonely in the Hilton, Marie showed up and asked if I was there for merfest, then Echinacea and Mermaid Julz and everyone. That's it... I wasn't alone anymore. We went swimming and had a great time. I FINALLY met Meridian Mer-Gyver... It only took a 3,000 mile trip, right? Haha I felt accepted and loved all weekend. I got to hop into the hot tub next to none other than the tail man himself, Thom Shouse. Well, it can't get any worse than meeting a hero while in a bikini and he's in his swim trunks! We got talking right away, and MAN he has stories! I loved listening to all his wisdom and knowledge. He truly is an amazing man, and I look forward to time spent with him in the future! That Thursday was just a taste of what was to come.

So, Friday came about quite quickly and I got to open my AMAZING tail by Raven of Merbellas. (Unboxing video to come... It's in editing stages.) Got to swim in it with Pirate Cicero, JV, Hyli and her human. :-P Later that night was the "dreaded" mixer. I only say "dreaded" because this was the moment. This is when I'd meet everyone and find out if I belonged or not. Shyly I looked around at all the people gathered in the lobby, trying to find anyone I could talk to. I asked someone if Raina was there, and they pointed me to her. I go over, meek yet confident to introduce myself. I got to about "Hi, I'm Kai---" before I was being smushed into an enthusiastic hug. "Wow!" I thought to myself, "I didn't even get to say who I am!" That really did a lot to help me feel more relaxed around everyone. After that I felt like I could talk to anyone there. I wasn't scared anymore. (Thanks, Raina! ) The mixer was fun and awesome and great. :3

Saturday.... Man, was I tired that morning. Haha The fashion show! THAT was an experience. I had never done a catwalk or been fully painted. So. Much. New. I was terrified I'd make a fool of myself, but I didn't. Everyone was so nice and kept complimenting me and boy did I rock that birdcage! :D Once that was over, I felt SO AMAZING. Not only did I conquer the catwalk, I did it with a birdcage on my head in a dress that was trying to trip me and shoes that didn't quite fit. Haha Thank you Revonne! It was an amazing experience. Well, then it was off to the dry and wet shoot. Dry shoot was easy peasy, it was the underwater I was nervous about... Well, after some lovely help from Sean, I got in my tail and in the pool. I swam about to warm up, and got a lot of pictures and attention. Crazy cool. <3 So, once I felt ready I went over to Steve for my pictures. Boy was I nervous. After talking to him and hearing feedback and tips, I feel a lot more confident about my modelling. HUGE thank you to him. I asked him for his downright blunt opinion and what he told me made me want to cry right there I was so touched. (Great, I'm crying now. It's good, though! ) Well, I swam around and got to swim with Raina, which was really cool. Especially holding hands! I was nervous it'd throw me off, but it didn't. :-P Well, more swimming goofing off and pictures happened then it was time for the Ball... Mmmmm yummy food. :3 Dancing, singing, shenanigans and stuff happened. It was fun and great and yeah. Haha I didn't care if my legs hurt, I was gonna dance them right off! We came back to the Hilton for the after party, which was calm and fun. Really connected with Lei Loni then. ^_^ It was great.

Well, sleep came eventually and turned the night into Sunday! I dragged myself to TAC and after an hour or so finally got into my tail for more swimming and fun. I met this wonderful little girl who belongs to Kellie and let me swim with her. It was my first experience swimming with a kid! It was so magical and amazing. I got to talk to a few other kids and it was just so amazing to see their faces and you could just tell they were thinking "Wow... a REAL mermaid!" Such an amazing feeling. :3 I can't wait to do parties. Just for that look! The luau came around and talking, raffles, eating, limbo, fire eating, and hula took place. It didn't feel like the end. It was a great ending to a great weekend though. After the luau, it was back to the Hilton again! I got to make a little girl happy and swam around some more. Finally got pictures with Luma! :-P Girl, we need to majorly go swim together. Like, seriously go swim! :-P That STILL didn't feel like the end......

...Then, Monday morning. The quiet gathering at the Hilton for breakfast. The faces sitting and eating were those of happiness, sadness, sleep deprived and longing. Tears were shed and "see you laters" were said, hugs were made and love was felt. Hearts melted and smiles tried to battle through the frowns and tears. We all wanted this to continue forever. We all became what none of us expected; Family.

All in all, I can't call this a convention. This was NOT a convention. I've been to conventions and they do not have the group feel this event had. They way this event was... it would be a SHAME to compare it to a convention. This was a family reunion. A bringing together of hearts and passion. Love and friendship. Togetherness over a common thought and feeling. No, this isn't a convention, there was too much love and caring. This... This is something I would call a family. A family I never thought I would have and a family I never want to lose.

I love all of you and don't want to lose the friendships I made. I finally feel like I belong in this community. I've finally, in all 24 years of my life feel like I have a group I can go to and actually fit in... I've never had that. I've never had such wonderful people back me up as a community. Sure, I've have friends who have my back, but not a community.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.... Every single one of you. I feel like I can do anything in life now because of all of you. Best of all, it was the anniversary weekend of me discovering mermaiding. What a great way to kick off year #4 of mermaiding. :-)

Live long and swim free, my friends!

Loves and *bubbles*

Kailani

AniaR
01-09-2014, 08:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHb4cnVyJUo

<3 <3 <3 you were adorbz. we overheard many people saying nice things about you and your tail. <3

Mermaid Kalliope
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Awww... Thank you, Raina! ^_^ And I loved swimming with you! <3 I had no idea people were talking about me when I wasn't around. >> :o Glad it was good! ^_^ Oh, gosh, I'm grinning so much. And I have ANOTHER event to go to this weekend! @.@ Crazy crazy!

MerEmma
01-09-2014, 08:16 PM
So amazing, so glad you got to go, Kailani. <3

Mermaid Kalliope
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Emma! So am I! This event really made up for a lot of things in my life. :D

MerAnthony
01-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Kailani it was a pleasure to be around you at merfest. It was the best time I have had in a very very long time. An I would do it again in less than a heart beat. BIG Octo hugs <3 .

Merman Arion
01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing, Kailani.

Great swimming video! Raina and you were adorable holding hands like sisters. I look forward to see the unboxing one. :)

How is the fit with your brand new tail from Raven?
I saw the gap at the waist while you were swimming in the video. Is it a tiny bit bigger than expected?

In the pictures, the fit looks perfect.

MerEmma
01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
I saw the gapping too, but it might just be the dorsal pulling at it?

AniaR
01-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Gaping happens on every tail with certain force. Both our tails are skin tight and that was the only video that happened to have any gaping. But most times when you go vortical you'll get a little.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Echidna
01-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Wonderful swimming video!
So jelly of you non loner mers :p

I tried to force my mom at the pool today to try out dolphin-kick (it would be very good for her for various reasons), but she refuses adamantly to put her head underwater :(
And I still haven't found any photographer willing to take underwater videos either. Boo

Mermaid Kalliope
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Arion, the fit is skin tight, but my swim bottoms were a bit big and the tail stuck to that. I got new bottoms and I'll be trying those out this weekend!

It swims so amazingly! It hurt the first few swims, but it is so awesome. :3 i will write a review after this weekend. ^-^

Anthony, I had a lot of fun meeting you! Keep in touch!

Ariel-Starfish
01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Kailani, the last part really made le cry :'( <3

Christopher Chandler
01-25-2014, 12:34 PM
We'll the next mermaid family reunion is scheduled for Jan 2 - 4, 2015! www.ncmerfest.com - Tickets are on sale!

Mermaid Sirena
01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
It was absolutely wonderful to meet you & your right you did rock that bird cage! Can't wait to see you again next year!

MermaidAmestris
03-02-2014, 12:47 AM
All you guys are so lucky to be able to be a part of something like this. I'm a fairly new mer and haven't moved out of the house yet (fairly long story) so I can't really have a tail yet, and I definitely can't attend merfest yet. i hope to move soon, but I don't know where I want to go or anything yet. I'm afraid of the same things you were, Kailani, that no one will talk to me. I'm sure everyone is very nice, but I'm super shy and awkward, and i also have Aspergers which makes it even worse. I can't wait to go, though. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to go in 2015 :)

Mermaid Sirenia
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Your stories make me so excited to be going to next years!! I kind of feel the way you felt in the beginning, being a new mer and all. But I'm very excited! And Trina only lives about an hour away (I just recently found that out) so at least I might know one mer!

~Mermaid Sirenia~