PDA

View Full Version : Chronic pain reemerging

Dee Tal
01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
So after my first monofin swim last Saturday I was sore which was dine but my costochondritis (inflammation of the sternum/rip cartilage) has flared up a lot after being almost non-existent for several months. This condition has taken me out of being able to work before when it was worse.

I'm now paranoid that trying to swim is going to make this come back full force. I'm the type of personality that is either REALLY into something or not at all. I'm not sure that my mer interest would survive without me making a tail and swimming in it.

I really enjoy this world and am hoping that maybe I could swim at least once a month or something. Anyone else deal with a limiting physical issue like this?

Echidna
01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Anyone else deal with a limiting physical issue like this?

yep, I have a chronic illness which causes bouts of pain, inflammations, chills with fever and loads other stuff on a regular basis.
I'm also a "100% or nothing"-person.

I've found that certain conditions (temperature, depth, water quality) influence my problems.
I have a lot less pain and stuff if I only swim in really warm water, for example (over 90°F preferably).
Sole and thermal pools also alleviate the symptoms.

I googled your thing, and the cause is unknown, but it CAN be a form of rheumatism.
You could try out warm thermal pools and see whether the pain gets better
(if it's caused by rheumatism, that's a given).

I try to avoid cold water and only use the deeper pools if I find the temperature comfortable
(with the famous "dipping-my-foot-in"-method!).

I hope you find something that works for you, there's nothing healthier than swimming.

Dee Tal
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
The pool I used was pretty warm already, maybe cold would be better for me. Also, just thinking a little more and if I get my dolphin kick up to par I wouldn't need my arms as much which I believe would put less stress of my rib cage.

AniaR
01-10-2014, 06:56 PM
sometimes swimming will encourage my chronic pain in my hips, and I once ended up in the hospital after a big gig. I really appreciate your fear. I spoke with my doctor and my chriopractor. They both felt that it could be managed with prevention and they were right. I now up my mineral intake (magnesium calcium etc) before gigs and drink sports drinks, I have special stretches to do, and special follow up things to do. It worked! I only get hip pain now if I get lazy :p

Dee Tal
01-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone on this. I should research stretches. I do think that swimming should be a GOOD thing for this condition. I already take Zyflamend (highly recommended for inflammation) and Glucosamine/MSM.