PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer shallower or deeper water, and why?

AstralDepths
01-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I've only been out swimming in my tail a few times now, and each time I've experimented in different depths of water. Our local pool has three different sections:

1' - 3' slope, where the kids tend to be

4', some adults and older kids

12', kids on the diving board, mostly adults actually doing laps.

At first I thought I liked the 12' area best, because it was easier to avoid the bottom of the pool, but then I realized it's much more fun at the shallower depths, where the kids hang out, even though it's a bit harder to swim (for me).

Which is your favourite depth of water to swim in, either in pools or out in nature?

Seatan
01-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Deep... I can't navigate in the shallow. My big fluke makes it so I can't turn around.

XMermaidMarinaX
01-10-2014, 10:52 PM
I personally enjoy the deeper parts for swimming and practicing tricks. Especially at the community pool. Only people there well.. it's mostly empty except for maybe girls diving to the bottom. It's rare though so I get that all to myself. In the shallows are really nice to, less stress. I can just relax there a bit, float. I also get to see all the children. I only speak from one experience in tail. Man is it hard to swim in tails sometimes.. I was so out of practice I was panting but the kids still loved me. xD In nature, I like the medium, deep, but also the shallows cuz I can just sit in the sand or play

AniaR
01-10-2014, 11:14 PM
I dont have a reason to go past 10ft that isnt novelty honestly. So I usually dont. lol

Triton-Mahtlinnie
01-11-2014, 01:07 AM
In pools and such I prefer places that are deep enough that my fluke can't touch, so past 7 feet. In lakes and oceans, though, I tend to stick to places 6ft and under. Mainly because past about 5 feet it gets pitch black in our waters and it bothers me when I can't see the bottom. I do swim out in deeper waters, but then I don't dive because I don't want to encounter the millweed that gets really high around here.

spottedcatfish
01-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Shallows 6ft and less for me.

Echidna
01-11-2014, 06:59 AM
The deeper, the better.
Shallow pools are pure stress, because I can't really move, turning, barrel-rolls and such are impossible without bumping my fluke,
which is why I swim without tail in shallow pools.

I need at least 7ft if I want to use my tails or monofin.

MermanZen
01-11-2014, 08:47 AM
now although my tail isn't finished yet I'd probity prefer 7 to 12ft pools for like practice and for tricks but if I'm just relaxing id still like at least a 5 foot pool because Im like 5.6 and my fluke adds at least 2 more feet so.... but in the wild or the ocean id want to stay in like a 5 to 7 ft. depth but in NC the water in lakes and big enough rivers are mud so id have to go back to FL for my favorite clear water swimming

Anahita
01-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Deeper water. Especially for a pool. For open waters I still like depth, but not nearly as much - that's more for ease-of-aid though, in case something happens and someone needs to come get me than anything else.

Mermaid Adriel
01-11-2014, 08:20 PM
the deeper :) (at least, without a tail xD)

Rogue Siren
01-12-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't have a tail yet, but I've always preferred water 7+ feet deep.

lollikit
02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
I like shallows with my tail!

JaceAquarius
02-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I have only swam in my monofin, but I prefer the deeper water. I love swimming around the bottom of a 12 foot pool! I can swim in 4 foot if I need to without hitting people, but you have to be extra careful to not run into things. The pools cut me up pretty good before I got the hang of the monofin thing. Of course where I was learning was a lap pool with concrete bottom and max depth of 5 feet. I now go to a place that has a Dive Well that is 12 feet deep across the entire thing. My funnest memory was diving in a different pool and having someone jump in to notice someone was below them. They freaked out at first until they saw it was just a person LoL.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 08:29 PM
If I had a tail, it would be deeper water. Cos I tried barrel rolls at the local pools recently, at only 1.2 m everywhere, and being so tall that water depth is only up to the bottom of my boobs, I nearly smashed my face into the pool floor.

I will have to face my fear of dark water in the ocean. There is a beach near my place that has a steep drop after 2 m, I've seen people swimming there, way past the shoreline, and someone did tell me there is a shark net beyond the cove. So that's some comfort at least.

Fun123joker
02-08-2014, 09:04 PM
deeper
i have had stories where i would be in this beautiful pool and have the deep end all to my self
in a pool that is.
the mono fin i have now i weak and too small so its hard going through waves and i dont want to be that first mer who drowns in thier tail

MermaidMarina
02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Deep. At the lake that I go swimming in (which is crystal clear by the falls) I usually stick to the areas that are about 10-20 feet, no catching anything important on any sharp sticks.:p

Ashton
02-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I really like both shallow and deep. I feel like in deep I can work on my breath holding and tricks but I can refine my skills in shallow water.

Mermaid Romy
02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
In Melbourne I'm finding it really hard to find indoor pools that go deep than 2.5m and while that's deep enough for short little me these areas are either filled with kids or people jumping off the start blocks. I'm really worried there will be a collision. I've found some pools with diving boards and thus are 5m or more deep but again people diving. How do people work around this?

Mermaid Kalliope
02-26-2014, 11:53 PM
For just hanging out/hovering I like 3'-4' waters in my tail. It's the easiest to hover, but I really like deeper water in a pool to swim about. I know that swimming in 4' is really hard because my fluke suctions to the floor. I swam in a square 4' pool and it was toooooough. But passing through and hovering it's fine.

3' and less is nice for kids and people talking to me.

I really enjoyed the 7'+ pool at TAC for NCMerfest. :3 It was a very nice pool and very comfortable.

I haven't taken my tail to the beach yet, but being in a monofin I prefer deeper waters for ease. I can't stand in my fin, so I need 6' and deeper waters. I don't know how hanging out in the shallows/shore will be for my tail! I'll find out soon, I guess. :3

Mermaid Jaffa
02-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Can you float in a silicone tail? Like the way a non mermaid would float on their back?

Echidna
02-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I think it depends on personal buoyancy.
A silicone tail is neutrally buoyant on its own I believe, hence why some people have to put weight in theirs to sink.

In Melbourne I'm finding it really hard to find indoor pools that go deep than 2.5m and while that's deep enough for short little me these areas are either filled with kids or people jumping off the start blocks. I'm really worried there will be a collision. I've found some pools with diving boards and thus are 5m or more deep but again people diving. How do people work around this?

I haven't found a way around this problem either, which is why I do all serious training + mermaid dance only in the summer, when we can use lakes.
In pools, I have always to watch out for people jumping in from all sides (it's forbidden, but the guards are too lazy to say anything).
I've been missed by an inch many times, but I know sooner or later, someone will hit me bad, especially as pools are busy here 24/7.
By the way, you're lucky to have a pool 2m deep.
The "deep" swimmer's pools here- aside from the diving section which is used by jumpers- is only 1,80m :(