PDA

View Full Version : Home-made plexiglass monofin in silicone tail?

Mizuko
01-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone!
So, I've completed my first silicone tail (just need to add the extra fins) and I'm looking into my second. But I was really hoping to have a translucent fluke. I am considering making my own monofin out of clear plexiglass/plastic sheet/fibreglass/whatever (or getting someone kind from the US to make it for me, as I've discovered plexiglass/plastic sheets are stupidly expensive here in Australia... again.)
But, I am curious to the strength of them. I'm not sure how well the clear monofin will hold-up with the weight of the silicone around it out of the water (for dry events, etc).
Can anyone with a home-made monofin, preferably clear/see-through, give me an idea of how much strength the materials have? Would it work, or am I just dreaming? haha!

Thank youuuu <3

AniaR
01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Id talk to mermaid vitoria she's the only one I know who has managed to consistently make them without any issues! :)

Mizuko
01-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Thank you Raina!! :D

PearlieMae
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm currently working on one, but can't give you any results just yet.

You do need to use polycarbonate, not plexiglas, as plexiglas will shatter and cut you. Polycarbonate it's many times stronger and flexible. Brand name: Lexan.

there was a thread somewhere on here, and the person with the polycarbonate monofin has a video- but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Mizuko
01-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Ah yes, Lexan, I couldn't remember the name! Thank you! I've searched for it here in Aus but annoyingly we can only get it on special order through plastic/glass window stores, and its expensive (one sheet I found was $120!) :P If its all I can get then I'll have to suck it up and order some, but I'm worried if it fails I'll be back to square one and out of pocket! haha!

MerAnthony
01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Mizuko Lexan will not fail. It is so strong that you would have to bend it on itself many times before it would break. I know I made one. I sold it but for some reason it seems to come back to me insted of going to the address I am sending it to. An it is starting to erk me as to why. But anyway, Lexan it the same stuff they use to make bullet proof glass an is perfect to make a monofin.

PearlieMae
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I forgot that part! Yes, I tried to snap a piece and bent it back and forth on itself - completely folded in half both ways - at least 20 times before it even showed signs of stress!

Mizuko
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you MerAnthony and Pearlie!! It sounds exactly like what I'll need. How expensive is it on average in the US? Maybe someone can make one for me XD

MerAnthony
01-13-2014, 08:21 PM
After all the parts, stainless steel nuts a screws an the lexan an then a set of older swim flippers from ebay. It was just over $60.00 USD.

thevirginiamermaid
01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Is Lexan what Magictail makes their monofins from? I have one and its way to flimsy for my taste.

PearlieMae
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
I couldn't say what they make theirs from personally. I plan on reinforcing the center of my monofin to make it not so floppy, but the tail I'm working on is totally a show/pool tail; i.e. probably quite ocean-impractical. :D

My piece of lexan is 36" x 48", (it was the smallest I could get with the width I need) and with the measurements of my fluke, I could make two. That sheet cost me $67 USD, so $33.50 just for the one. I'm making the foot pockets myself, so figure about $20 of silicone?

Mizuko
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you! Its so much cheaper for you guys XD *jealous*
Because it has to be specially ordered, it only comes in minimum 190cm x 190cm sheets at $120 here in Aust. Maybe if I do some more searching I might find it cheaper! :)

Fifi Tigg
01-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Hey Mizuko, I saw that you can buy lexan sheets on eBay :)

Toxotes
01-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Mizuko Lexan will not fail. It is so strong that you would have to bend it on itself many times before it would break. I know I made one. I sold it but for some reason it seems to come back to me insted of going to the address I am sending it to. An it is starting to erk me as to why. But anyway, Lexan it the same stuff they use to make bullet proof glass an is perfect to make a monofin.
I can fully confirm that. But "bullet proof" doesn't really match it. It may be a component of bullet proof glass, but on its own it's really break-resistant. I build safety housings out of it at work. Just stay away from acrylic glass.

Mizuko
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks Fifi! :D I had a look, they either sell REALLY big sheets or tiny A3 sheets. I'm going to send a seller an email and ask if they can do an in-the-middle sheet. haha!