PDA

View Full Version : Advice...Thriving On a Fish-Free Diet?

Princess Kae-Leah
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't eat ANY seafood, for environmental, ethical, and personal reasons, and I try my best to monitor my intake of other animal products as well, but all I hear from nutritionists and doctors is how healthy fish is, since it tends to be low in cholesterol and calories, contains plenty of protein, omega-3's, and other essential nutrients. I would never take fish oil supplements(though I'm considering taking flaxseed oil supplements), since of course it's still made from dead fish, but I'm still worried about dying from heart disease due to my strict Terrestetarian(seafood-free)/Semi-Vegetarian diet. Any nutrition tips for me?

taom
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
My advice: Don't worry! A sea-food free diet is perfectly fine. I, myself, don't consume any fish at all and hardly any meat, like yourself. Humans were not originally supposed to consume animal protein at all. In fact, a purely plant based diet is much healthier than any one containing any animal protein. I would definitely recommend flaxseed oil because it is difficult to get enough omegas in day to day life. As for heart disease, you chance of contracting it is much lower eating the way you do. There's this study call The China Study (you can buy the book but it's very, very thick. my mom read it because she's crazy like that). It it, researchers study why people in poor villages in places like China had a significantly lower occurrence of things like cancer and heart disease. After years and years of observation and research, they concluded that it was because those people ate no meat at all and hardly any milk, either (this was because they didn't have enough money to buy it). The rich, however, did and they very frequently contracted things like cancer. In The China Study, they prove that the link between meats and disease in chemically based, not just consequential.

So, basically what I'm saying is, you're doing good! Better than most of us, actually. So keep it up! Just be sure that you are eating lots of fresh and raw vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Also, vegetarian multivitamins are a good way to be sure you are getting everything that you need.

(also, plants contain such a low amount of cholesterol that most people will say they don't have any at all. the amount that they do have is good. no matter what doctors say, we need cholesterol in our bodies, just no excessive amounts.)

If you have any questions, please ask! I happen to have a naturopath/nutritionalist for a mother!

<3 taom