PDA

View Full Version : AHOY TAILMAKERS! Best Tailmaker Competition NCMERFEST 2015

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Mer-King Christomer Starfish just posted this in the NCMerfest group:

ChristoMer Starfish~
WHO WILL WALK AWAY WITH THE TITLE OF BEST INTERNATIONAL TAIL-MAKER(S) OF 2015?
Thom Shouse and I have discussed having a "Tail-Off" for lack of a better word. We are going to reach out into the Special Effects community for judges to come and judge any and all tails, shell bras, bracers and anything you can dream up and make out of silicone. Having crowned Mer-Queens, Kings, Princesses and so one, well this year we are crowning the "2015 International Tail-maker(s) of the Year" We hope to have a representative from Smooth-On Inc on the judging panel. Also part of the winning title will hopefully be a large supply of silicone from Smooth-On. Let the best tail win. We will have the following categories for tails:
1. Full Silicone
2. Neoprene with Silicone Overlay
3. Neoprene

The tails will be judged based on the following criteria:

1. Design, Vision and Execution
2. Craftsmanship
3. Painting and Finishing
4. Model and Fit
5. Movement in Water
6. Ease of Wearing

You must submit a model and a sketch to the judging committee by March 31, 2014. You may enter a design in more than one category but your final tails will be judged based on how close they reflect the original designs. You do not have to share your designs with anyone. Your sketches that are submitted will not be opened until the judging next January 2015. The final set of tails will be modeled at the NC Merfest Fashion Show next January 2015. Let the game begin!

TIME LINE OF CONTEST

1st Quarter (March 31, 2014) - Design and Sketches due to Judging Committee
2nd Quarter (June 30, 2014) - Construction Documents and Bill of Material due to Judging Committee
3rd Quarter (September 31, 2014) - Interviews with Tail-makers by Judging Committee
4th Quarter - (December 1, 2014) - Finished Tails shipped to Judging Committee
Note: Tails my consist of shell-bras, bracers and any other accessory made from silicone. Tails will not be disclosed to anyone until the NC Merfest Fashion Show!~

So Get Designing people! Let us see your Magic!

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I saw. I'm going to give it a shot! Messaged Christomer to see if I could get some more details.

I've not slept yet, so everything is all jumbled in my head and seems like its half finished xD

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
You do have a few good points Pearl. I know the only reasons I was going to participate is cause of what Christomer said in one of his comments on the post in the group. And it's one of the reasons they are having it

we are having this event to give tail makers a chance to showcase there best work and get them exposure

I know I'm capable of creating great things, even though I probably don't stand a chance against say Raven or even Finfolk. But it gives me a chance to show my best and have people see it.

AniaR
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Morticia after being at the first one where we had the mer Olympics and several mini contests you can rest assured the team at merfest bend over backwards to be as fair as possible to all. We all experienced it first hand. You should enter and I also think you should retry your raffle and pair up with merfest like finfolk did

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks Raina. I think I will retry the raffle after I have my first few tails made, that way people can see what I am capable of. Next week I'm ordering my silicone for the first 2 tails (one for myself which I plan on entering into the "Tail-Off" as Christomer called it ^_^). I should have both finished by March in time for the meet up we are planning, so we will be able to get photos and video.

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh, and I think Veronica put it really well as to how I see this. I don't see it as a competition at all, and could honestly care less about the titles.

"I'm really excited about this event, and I'm looking at it as more of a showcase of creativity than a competition. Yes, it's being set up as a contest where makers will be chosen as winners, but I believe the original intent of this event is meant for everyone to share the joy of our community and the diversity of creative expression within it! Let's keep this in the spirit of the mer-love and mer-magic that marked the success of the first NCMerFest!"

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
GP, Sweetie, your work is beautiful, and when I posted this info, you were one of the tailmakers I was thinking of.
I think this contest could really be done tastefully, fairly, and with lots of mer-love.
You, of course, can refrain from entering the competition. But it is not a battle, as you say, unless you or another contestant feed it that energy, and even then, it is only that person you will perceive it that way. Glass half-full, dear, and optimism.
This is Just like crafting and cosplay contests that they hold at big Comic-Cons. I was even thinking of purchasing some silicone and making a top, and maybe some other accessories and entering myself. I know I would have little to no chance of winning any prize or title, but it would be a blast to see what I could come up with and see people's reactions to it. ^_^
Just remember, whatever energy you put into it, is what you will take away.

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Getting back on topic;
I think there should be multiple tiers to this competition, and it should be expanded to include fabric tails. I've seen some really beautiful fabric tails out there. I also think they should allow mask-making latex, as well, but the only real reason is because I've got one I'm working on right now.

Morticia! I was thinking particularly of your neoprene tails, as well, and how you can make them appear seamless. I think that would be impressive to the judges.

I have a really fun idea for a fabric tail, too, which I might make anyway, but would be SO cool to enter.
All around, I think this is going to be so neat to see everyone's tails. I think they should be kept super top secret so they can all be unveiled at the fashion show.
There are some mers in the community that I really hope are going to enter.

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 01:08 PM
:) I'm going to see if Melu is planning on attending next year, I think she said he was. Her tail is the most seamless one I've made, and the one I've had the most comments/compliments on. Would love to see what some judges think of it.

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
That would be cool. ^_^ Who would you like to see enter?

PearlieMae
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
If I decide to compete, I think I will have to go 'radio-silent' on my tailmaking thread.

:thinks:

Morticia Mermaid
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Honestly? I'd like to see everyone join.

Its a great way to get some advice from potentially SPFX people! And to see what they think of your creations :)

AniaR
01-15-2014, 01:19 PM
I believe part of the suspense is no one besides judges see the design or the tail til the show eee

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Pearlie, You probably would, BUT, you could continue documenting the process, and then update the whole thing after merfest.

I agree, completely, Morticia. I have some mer-friends here I really want to take with me when I go.

I think you're right, Raina. ^_^ And didn't Christomer say something about the designs being unopened until merfest?

AniaR
01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Yes. Also morticia thom shouse was giving away tail advice like candy. The big thing about merfest was that the organizers went above and beyond to take community ideas into account and try to make em happen. So I know they'll do the same :) I just want everyone to experience what I did. It was unlike anything!!

Mermaid Oshun
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM
If I decide to compete, I think I will have to go 'radio-silent' on my tailmaking thread.

:thinks: That would be such a shame Pearlie if the competition causes you to stop sharing on the tailmaking forum. I very much enjoy the mutual sharing and support. eta : I think that is so much more important than competition.

Mermaid Lorelei
01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Hmmm... I'm tempted to enter, but I don't think I'll have the time... Urf. Wedding planning comes first though!

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 02:22 PM
It certainly does! It may be stressful, but weddings are so great! Super congrats!

AniaR
01-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Raven has no plans to compete she's too busy ;)

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
That's a bit of a shame, but it certainly will give others a little more confidence I think.
I can see how some people could feel like they had no chance against her and Tyler.

PearlieMae
01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
That would be such a shame Pearlie if the competition causes you to stop sharing on the tailmaking forum. I very much enjoy the mutual sharing and support. eta : I think that is so much more important than competition.

Thanks, GP! That's a great sentiment.

I am getting to the point where I'll be working on my monofin, and as I said on my tailmaking thread, I'm going to keep that part under wraps until I can secure a design patent, so chances are there will be a lapse and a gap in the progress until the fluke cast is secured over the fin.

And I like competition. Makes me step up my skills.

Jessica
01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
This is interesting! :)

But would we have keep the tail under wraps for the whole year so it's a surprise? Who are mailing the tails to and where would they be stored? Are they being judged before merfest or at merfest?

Do we need to attend in order to enter? January is flu season and you never can totally commit to anything when you have kids in school!

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Mermaid Danielle
01-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Just copied this information and sent it to Merman Jesse! Hopefully he'll consider entering, his tails are beautiful (I had the chance to wear one at a volunteer event this past summer, and absolutely loved it!). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this competition turns out!

Mermaid Momo
01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
This reminds me of cosplay masquerades! Do you think they'll split it up like those? (novice, novice groups, experienced, etc?) If I had the money and I was sure I was going next year, I would enter the neoprene section! (but then again, I am pretty lazy and I'm sure next year as my first year in college will be very busy haha)

MerEmma
01-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks, GP! That's a great sentiment.

I am getting to the point where I'll be working on my monofin, and as I said on my tailmaking thread, I'm going to keep that part under wraps until I can secure a design patent, so chances are there will be a lapse and a gap in the progress until the fluke cast is secured over the fin.

And I like competition. Makes me step up my skills.

You could also write all the info up in a document and just keep the info to yourself until after the competition. Just means you'd have to delay putting it out there.

MermaidHyli
01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I think this is a really cool idea. We get to see a display of so many interpretations and designs. I don't see it as a competition rather as a goal. Here is a schedule have the tail done by then and then it will be showcased. It may seem like a competition because there is a prize at the end, but I really see it as an achievement to design, mold, and make a tail in that amount of time. I'm just going for it because I have already started working on my husband's tail if it doesn't turn out the way I want or I feel it shouldn't be showcased then it won't be entered, simple as that :) I know I don't plan on making tails to sell, or at least not on a very large base (maybe a christmas present for a good friend or what not) but this is a fun chance to see what we can do and apply all our knowledge into something creative and fun. Plus everyone is dying to see the husband back in a tail, maybe for some cute tank pictures ;) an extra tail always comes in handy.

Edit: my husband would also like to voice that in the end everyone that made a tail gets a tail, thats pretty much a win :)

AniaR
01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
yeah it's really no different than the cosplay competitions.

We will keep this updated as Christomer defines it better :) I'm sure it'll evolve.

Jessica
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Edit: my husband would also like to voice that in the end everyone that made a tail gets a tail, thats pretty much a win :)

^^^^ this is so true!! Everyone has a different style! It will just be neat to see what everyone comes up with!

Elle
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I hate living so far away :(

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Aww, Elle, If it makes you feel better I sometimes want to move to Australia. <3 Mer-Hugs.

I'm so excited that there's all this interest.

~Hyli, you are so blessed to a husband with a heart and brain! That's a great sentiment!

~Dagger, I think any tail you designed would be crazy awesome. Of course, I'm going on our shared adoration of Lolita style-age. (lace, and ruffles, high contrast, super cutesy, or just a little bit dark, heavy victorian influences....)

~I totally agree, Pearlie Mae. I haven't had a good competition since High School swim team. I could use a bit of a shake-up that way.

Elle
01-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Aww, Elle, If it makes you feel better I sometimes want to move to Australia. <3 Mer-Hugs.

I wouldn't, we aren't that exciting :)

SeaGlass Siren
01-15-2014, 08:03 PM
good luck to everyone!!!!

Mermaid Dottie
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't, we aren't that exciting :)
Isn't that how everyone feels about their homeland? Boring, until you leave it? ;)

I'm so excited about this now. I have a couple of tail designs that would be so fun to bring to life, if I only had the funds and the skills to do so.
*happy, but wistful sigh*

SeaGlass Siren
01-15-2014, 08:23 PM
i can design tails but i cant make any. lol. ;_;

Mermaidmechanic
01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I would enter, but If I did, I wouldn't be able to keep something I made secret for a whole year. @_@

Mermaid Dottie
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Haha! You are too cute, Mechanic!

AniaR
01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Well its only a year if you start now ;)

Morticia Mermaid
01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't think you HAVE to keep it secret? I just think that they mean that the judges wont go blabbing about the designs. At least I hope we don't have to keep our designs secret, cause ya'll have already seen the one I'm going to be entering

SeaGlass Siren
01-17-2014, 02:59 PM
are you allowed to collab with people?

Mermaidmechanic
01-18-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm already starting plans to make a tail. I haven't posted anything on it though because i'm still very much in the planning stage, although I have the idea drawn out. I think it would be cool to unveil it as a surprise, but I haaate keeping things under my hat. Meh, I guess if I'm making one anyway, I might as well enter.

Rogue Siren
01-19-2014, 09:33 AM
If things go as planned I'll enter the tail I'm making now. XD I can't keep anything like this a secret though. :P So whatever. Ahaha.

Anahita
01-20-2014, 05:28 AM
I'd love to compete.

But me + time frames and scheduled milestones before a final deadline = nono, not a good mix

I have piles of UFOs (un-finished objects ;) ) littered around my house and garage just because. I'm SO notoriously bad at sticking to a schedule. If I have a deadline for a commissioned piece, I do make it, always.... but little milestones between the big deadline... I'm terrible at making those (I usually forget, or my "work spurt" just doesn't kick in on time)

jazz2453
01-20-2014, 07:49 AM
I was really considering going to this event after hearing everyone's great experiences and now I want to go even more! This seems like such a fun thing! And really great to receive tips from SPFX people. This event rocks! I'm gonna have to convince my parents!

PearlieMae
01-20-2014, 08:59 AM
...I have piles of UFOs (un-finished objects ;) ) littered around my house and garage just because. ...

HAHAHA! I am so stealing that line!

I once wanted to open a store that sold (on commission) unfinished projects so that others could finish them and the creators would be a collaboration. Wasn't practical, though. Maybe an online thing...hmmmmmm.... :thinks:

Rogue Siren
01-20-2014, 10:12 AM
But me + time frames and scheduled milestones before a final deadline = nono, not a good mix

I have piles of UFOs (un-finished objects ;) ) littered around my house and garage just because. I'm SO notoriously bad at sticking to a schedule. If I have a deadline for a commissioned piece, I do make it, always.... but little milestones between the big deadline... I'm terrible at making those (I usually forget, or my "work spurt" just doesn't kick in on time)

This. ---^

Mermaid Dottie
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Jazzy, I would LOVE to see you get in on this! It would be really awesome publicity for Purple Rainbow Tails.

Anahita
01-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Lol, by all means, Pearlie. Truthfully, I get the feeling that I might have stolen it form someone else (or at least heard something similar from someone else, then took it and ran with it. :) )