PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sea Food

Merman Trident
01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Post your favorite crustacean/bivalve/fish/mollusk to eat! (or dish)

Mermaid Cecelia
01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
I'd have to say my favorite eats are.... Mussels and shrimp. Mussels were one of my first kinds of seafood, I still remember where it was that I had my first mussels. I don't really like fish, or seafood in that matter, unless you count sushi; I looooove sushi.

XMermaidMarinaX
01-16-2014, 11:05 PM
This could've gone in the Just Talk thread.. ah well. I love Salmon, Tilapia, crab, shrimp, and mussels.

SIF
01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
My family has a centuries developed, 3 generations gourmet, clam chowder recipie so I've ALWAYS liked Clam Chowder. And I've enjoyed Shrimp and Kalamari. But I'm a practicing "Tailarian" (I came up with it in the 5th grade so try not to hate....), which is basically a reverse pascitarian. I don't eat fish. Unfortunately my family seems highly intent to cook only fish as the meat we eat in dinners, so I've had to settle with not eating fish unless it's hatchery raised and harvested because of a lack of ability to uphold or respect the values of others which resides in the people I live with..... I still eat crustacians and such though...

MermanZen
01-17-2014, 06:54 AM
I love all seafood shellfish or regular fish I will eat it all but my personal favorite fish to eat is lobster and crab yummm

selkie13
01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Smokies!

SeaGlass Siren
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
mussels (raw or cooked in black bean sauce), lobster (bathed in butter, or flavoured with chopped ginger, garlic, spices, and green onion), and salmon (raw, smoked, or in a wellington served with a side of carrot and potato medallions)

you can tell that i am a spoiled brat :P

Mermaid Enhydrina
01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Shrimp, and scallops.

Ariadne
01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
I will eat anything that swims...love, love seafood! (Does this make us cannibals? lol)

AptaMer
01-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Smokies!

Ahh smokies. I presume you mean those official ones from Angus, or wherever it is?

Yum.

In fact I love all smoked fish- smoked salmon, herring . . . you name it.

Way better for you than that other famous Scottish dish- deep fried Mars Bars- LOL

Taz
01-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Before you put ANYTHING from the ocean in your mouth, please please PLEASE consider the implications that it may have.

http://www.oceanwise.ca
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx
http://www.seachoice.org

SeaGlass Siren
01-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Of course yaz, I only eat it once in a blue moon, and only the salmon that's ok to eat.

selkie13
01-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah I mean the ones from Arbroath, I love them so much because they are sweet and smokie :)

tealmermaid
01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
n/a

Mermaid Adriel
01-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Spaghetti and clams :P

malinghi
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
When I went to Chile a couple years ago I has some of this stuff. Its pretty amazing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curanto

Mermaid Adriel
01-18-2014, 07:49 PM
@malinghi OMG, I've never eaten meat and fish together xD but I think it couldn't be so bad

Mermaid Jaffa
03-29-2014, 02:58 AM
Love seafood! Don't like sea cucumbers though. I have tried sea urchin roe, very expensive and weird tasting!

One of my fave shellfish are Blood Clams.

I will only eat it if I've had a recent hepatitis jab (usually have one before I go on holiday back home, cos that's where they are), and have been purged properly in freshwater.
As there is a chance of getting Hepatitis A from eating contaminated blood clams.

Aziara
03-30-2014, 11:53 AM
This thread is making me hungry... :shark:

Kishiko
03-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Dragon roll sushi a.k.a. Full freshwater reel seared to make the skin slightly crispy on a bed of rices wrapped in seaweed with a special sauce........... IM SO HUNGRY NOW

Merman Dan
03-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Mine used to be conch fritters:
http://poptartsfordinner.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/conch.jpg
But Seafood Watch (http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx) says conch meat is not sustainable, as it is overfished in the wild. Read more about the plight of the queen conch at Community Conch (http://www.communityconch.org).
Instead, when I get a craving for fritters, I will use farm-raised abalone (http://www.montereyabalone.com) instead.

Mermaid Adriel
03-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Oh please stop with this xD I ate so much today x.x gnocchi with seafood, marinated salmon and fried fish!

Vixy
04-02-2014, 03:05 AM
@malinghi OMG, I've never eaten meat and fish together xD but I think it couldn't be so bad

A dish we have in the UK is called surf and Turf, so some seafood and something from the land. I do it quite a lot at home too.

I love lemon sole, mackerel especially in a bread roll. Salmon and tuna. I've not really eaten a lot of shellfish.

I don't really eat a lot of fish, it's special occasions (read when my dad or brother aren't home to complain about the smell)

MermaidBrandie
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Fried. Fried shrimp, fried fish...mmmm

Ariel-Starfish
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Shrimps, salmon, lobster, crab, aaand sushi! ;)

Aziara
04-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Just wondering if this is a local superstition, or if some of you have heard of it: that you shouldn't have milk with your seafood. For some strange reason, I always crave a glass of milk when I eat seafood, especially shellfish. I haven't gotten ill having it together yet.

Anahita
04-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Just wondering if this is a local superstition, or if some of you have heard of it: that you shouldn't have milk with your seafood. For some strange reason, I always crave a glass of milk when I eat seafood, especially shellfish. I haven't gotten ill having it together yet.

You could never have New England Clam Chowder or Fettuccine al Fredo with shrimps or salmon, or the traditional Persian New Year's dish if that were the case. All those use milk in some capacity.... Must be some superstition for sure, because I eat that stuff all the time and I'm fine... I'd say it sounds like it was a kosher thing, but fish is parve, so even kosher laws say you can eat the two together.

Anyways, I don't have a favorite seafood - pretty much most seafood is delicious in my book. But for New Years, to celebrate the spring and stuff, we make a dish of herbed rice and a fish stuffed with citrus, garlic, and herbs served with yogurt that I am quite partial to. F*cking delicious. My mother-in-law makes it for me a lot, too, because it's easy to make, the whole family likes it, and it doesn't involve beef (which seems to be their gripe with me, because using lamb is so much harder?).

Aziara
04-02-2014, 07:18 PM
You could never have New England Clam Chowder or Fettuccine al Fredo with shrimps or salmon, or the traditional Persian New Year's dish if that were the case. All those use milk in some capacity.... Must be some superstition for sure, because I eat that stuff all the time and I'm fine... I'd say it sounds like it was a kosher thing, but fish is parve, so even kosher laws say you can eat the two together.

Who knows where it came from. Chowder and alfredo sauce are nearly unknown among the older crowd who persist in the no-seafood-with-milk rule. *shrugs*
Well, I guess I should say the seafood I like. Shrimp mainly, I love it boiled, and I must be the only person I know who does this, but I only remove the head, and eat the shell around the tail along with the meat! Maybe I'm just weird. I like the crunch :shame: Also, pretty much any sushi, (unless it has tempura on it, which I can't eat).

Mermaid Jaffa
04-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm allergic to cow's milk. I eat pizza with feta cheese instead of the regular cheese on it. And I only drink lactose free dairy milk.

Love raw oysters! Has anyone seen the videos of the Oyster Eating competitions? I wonder if they starve themselves for that?

Ilyena
04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
If one starves themselves their stomach shrinks and can't eat as much. It is very painful if they try to eat after starvation (done that when I was quite sick). People can actually train to eat large quantities of food, though personally I can't see why someone would want to eat that much.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-03-2014, 10:35 PM
They must lead very active lives. I would've thought all that eating would make them gain weight.

Back on topic... Razor Clams! Yum!

MacabrelleEnvy
04-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Oh my gosh so hungry now! I love to eat "surf n turf" type meals! At our local steak house I usually get a small sirloin and mesquite wood grilled salmon together. I grill steak and fish together at home a lot too! At our local fish/seafood restaurant I always go for the ahi tuna, but I love to try new things at the sushi bar too. I think one of my favorite things to snack on at home is shrimp and oysters though.

Mermaid Ophelia
04-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Crab legs and shrimp! Just shellfish in general!! Ahhhh it's so gooood. And then I really like salmon when it comes to sushi/sashimi.

Nausicaa
04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
I'll eat just about anything if it smells good, I LOVE sushi and sashimi though often times I'll pick around the rice (not really a fan of the sweetness) which is why given a choice between the two I'd take sashimi, in my book there's hardly anything better than a nice slab of raw wild caught salmon with a little sea salt and lemon juice.
I also am a big fan of raw shellfish like oysters and mussels, though I don't really care for lobster and crab, something about the richness of the meat upsets my stomach.

When it comes down to it I don't usually like cooked seafood because it drys out fish and it makes shellfish kind of rubbery, though on the other hand if I could bury myself in calamari and eat my way out I would, and that's hands down the rubberiest thing I've ever eaten haha.
My favorite is whole baby octopi with the beaks removed and deep fried, I could eat my weight in those hahaha.
I also catch a LOT of local trout (brown and rainbow) and the occasional Pike during the summer in the reservoir where I swim so just about every other day my friends/family and myself will eat them either cooked whole with the skin on or in fried fillets. Personally though I don't really like the taste of the Pike so if I catch one I'll just cut off the head for the bounty and throw the rest down under my house for the foxes and coyotes.

I've also had seal meat with my family members in Alaska, but I didn't much care for it because it reminded me of elk or beef liver and I don't like organ meats AT ALL XD
I used to work at a Chinese restaurant as a waitress so because of that I had the opportunity to try some sea cucumber and was also not a fan of that and some shark fin soup (though not at the place where I worked) which I fell in love with and really wish that I could eat it more often, but because I'm so landlocked in Colorado there's only a very few places that offer it on their menu in the state.

I would also love to try the meat of a cetacean but I doubt that I'll ever be in the part of the world where one can do that as part of a cultural norm now that Japan is facing so many problems with it's whaling industry, but it's still something I would like to do before I die.

Mermaid Sirenia
04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Crab and shrimp, and seaweed salad! Even though it isn't a crustacean it's amazing :)

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Sirenia
04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Oh and let's not forget calamari! Yum!

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Jaffa
04-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Doritos.

Everyone knows mermaids and mermen LOVE Doritos!

OceanRose
04-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Doritos.

Everyone knows mermaids and mermen LOVE Doritos!

Haha!
I love Doritos, my husband buys giant packs for me and I don't have the heart to tell him that he is actually torturing me because I am powerless against them, I will eat the whole bag at once.
Then I saw the mermaid doritos commercial and realised that it is so fitting :-D

Mermaid Sirenia
04-11-2014, 06:17 AM
I am going to go all aquamarine here but, I LOVE gummy worms!

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Merman Dan
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Gummy worms? But I thought this was the obvious choice ;)

http://www.ferrarausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Trolli_SourBriteOcto1.png

MacabrelleEnvy
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I love gummies! We have peach flavored penguin shaped gummies at our candy shop at the mall and I just can't resist buying a bag whenever i'm there :D

Mermaid Sirenia
04-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I've never even seen the octopus ones before! And peach penguin ones? Yum!! This forum is making me so hungry!!!

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Jaffa
04-11-2014, 11:10 AM
In Australia, we have sour gummies in worms, teddy bears and dinosaurs!

Mermaid Sirenia
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Speaking of sour gummies look what I'm snacking on ;) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/4emaquhu.jpg

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Ophelia
04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Don't forget to check those for hooks! ;P

Arella
04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
haha you guys are making me hungry xD

Mermaid Jaffa
04-23-2014, 01:04 AM
I love raw oysters! The bigger they are, the more tastier it is!

Mermaid Muir
04-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I love the classic linguine and clams. Actually on that note I just love clams in general. So Tasty!

Cerulean
04-25-2014, 04:05 AM
I absolutely love love love seafood! I always jokingly say that "I'll eat anything that crawls out of the sea" even though I know thats not exactly true heh My favorite would be.. shellfish I guess because shrimp was one of my favorite foods as a kid. Really its impossible to pick because I love bivalves and all sorts of different fish and ...... pretty much anything Ive ever tried.

Exception is maybe sea urchin. I can eat it but I dont particularly enjoy it. Looks like little orange tongue, taste isnt something I like

Jeblily
04-25-2014, 06:34 AM
I agree on the sea urchin, I have only had it raw but it was a little too gelatinous for me and the flavor was a combination of milk and sea food...

PearlieMae
04-25-2014, 08:56 AM
There are very few things I don't care for and sea urchin is one of them. I know it's a delicacy, but you can have mine.

Black Akira
05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Shrimp and clam baby!, I can't get enough.

Nooo! I'm hungry!

Ilyena
05-28-2014, 01:38 AM
When ever I go away with my family, dad makes me swim to get urchins. Not that I mind swimming around rocks, jetties, with the fish and such, but he tried to get me to eat one and I can't see the appeal, while dad just cleans them out and scoops out the flesh with a piece of bread.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Got to be careful with them and other bottom and filter feeders. If you don't let them sit in fresh water to purge their guts out, you can get sick from eating them raw like that. Even if the sea water is clean, they can still ingest harmful stuff from the water.

Mardoll_Star
05-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Ugh sea urchins are the only shellfish that I've tried that I didn't like! The texture just didn't sit well with me.
My favorite fish dishes lately are a salmon cakes recipe I've become obsessed with, and pan fried sardines! Sardines are supposed to be more sustainable than other species of fish, plus they are lower on the food chain so they don't have as much mercury.
I also love mussels, oysters, crab, lobster, shrimp, clams, you name it. Except sea urchins!

Jeblily
05-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Except sea urchins!
Ditto on the sea urchins, mine was milky and gelatinous yech!! Everything else I love, well except that it has to be dead... Sorry Japan raw is good but I don't like my food moving! :eye twitch:

SeaMansa
06-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I. Love. Crabs!!!! (The seafood kind...not the other kind >>) I will devour crabs! Seriously, you don't want to see me eat crabs, I look like an animal lol. What's funny is that I'm allergic to seafood but I eat it anyways :P I love shrimp and clams are okay too but I'm not a huge fan of them

Mermaid Michelle
06-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Sushi,Tilapia,and Tuna

GreenAsSin
06-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Shrimp, lobster, and cold, smoked salmon sliced super thin. Yum~

Blaze
06-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Love shellfish; born & raised in Boston so Lobster is at the top of my list with shrimp a close second. Crawfish and crab I'll eat too but sometimes it seems like too much work for too little of a payoff lol. Had my first oysters in Louisiana in 2011 & love them now too but as long as they have the horseradish, worchester sauce & lemon juice on top. :D

I have to say as for regular fish? Not really a fan. I have had some delicious salmon that was marinated in ginger soy sauce but that was a fluke. ;D I will eat most fish in sushi form though!

MermaidSidian
07-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Drunken Clams from Tilted Kilt!! Freshly caught striped bass, other than that, simple smoked Salmon in a nice Romaine and spinach salad =3

Aziara
07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
My favorite right now is salmon salad. Canned salmon, boiled eggs, and a dollop of mayo. Less mercury than tuna, and more nutritous too (also more delicious in my opinion {and yes, I've made this before I was preggers, so I know it's not just baby taste buds talking, lol}). I've been craving salmon and eggs so much I finally decided to mix them, lol.

Mermaid Saoirse
07-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Snow Crab legs are my favorite! I used to have them when I was younger but these days my family just doesn't buy them anymore. ;~;

Mermaid Jaffa
08-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I love good caviar and those big orange fish eggs on sushi! I think its salmon roe but I'm not sure.

SeaGlass Siren
08-03-2014, 11:01 AM
thats definitely salmon roe.