PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find a Nice Shark Tooth?

Miyu
01-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone! I was wondering is any mers had a favorite place to buy shark teeth from. I'd like a rather impressive-looking one, though I don't have the funds for a nice huge fossil tooth or anything. :p I'm trying to find a larger tooth for a decent price... Though it doesn't have to be huge! I am a small mer.

I'm looking for one (or a few) to use in a necklace/other accessories to go with my mer-sona... In real life, I have facial scars caused by a bad case of cystic acne. The scars are pretty noticeable, especially to kids who don't know to overlook such things yet. :p So to bring that into my mer-sona, to have an explanation in case a kid asks, I'm going to say that I got into a fight with a shark and won! :D

Also, is it ok for shark teeth to go in pool water? Should I look at dipping them in resin first?

Ilyena
01-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Shark teeth can be found on the internet, I know a couple of shops here that sell them but I'm in Australia.

I personally got most of my shark teeth from dead sharks I've found on the beach, they were caught and cut up for meat by fisher peoples, so no intentional harming was done by me, just the extraction of teeth.

Any teeth I've had in pool water have been fine, just as long as they're rinsed well after. But no harm can come by coating in resin

Miyu
01-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Oh wow! I'm super jealous that you can just get shark teeth like that! O.O Yet another reason to want to move to Australia! >.<

I'm not really used to shopping on the internet (26 years old and just got a bank account... yeah. >.> ), so I'm used to mostly looking on etsy or ebay LOL!

Ilyena
01-17-2014, 09:50 PM
It's not that easy to come across teeth like that as people like to take their jaws out (with the teeth) for show. But the occasional one I find is good enough. The last one was a small bronzy shark, teeth no bigger than 10mm, got about 60 before I decided I had enough fiddling to get them out.

Ebay has shark teeth, though most are set into something, but some can be untied.

Nicoseamus
01-17-2014, 09:59 PM
That's a really great idea! I think a shark tooth necklace is pretty cool, and would be a great explanation. You said you'd like dealing with ebay? Here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLESALE-LOT-OF12-LARGE-MOROCCAN-WIRE-WRAPPED-SHARKS-TOOTH-CORDED-NECKLACES-/181291307297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35cdd121) is a lot for 12 pre-wired teeth that are about 20-30mm. That's a pretty decent size. Here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGALODON-Fossil-Giant-Shark-Tooth-All-Natural-Large-3-34-Beautiful-Huge-Tooth-/191037859031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7abe64d7) is a very big one that isn't too expensive. I hope that wherever you chose to buy your teeth from, you do something cool with them! :D

Elle
01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
If you have one of those aquariums that have the little gift shop they almost always sell shark teeth....at least they do here anyway

Mermaidmechanic
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
They sell "shark teeth" that are a resin copy from a large fossil shark tooth. They're pretty cheap and look real. I've worn mine a lot in the water and it looks the same as when I bought it.

This one is similar to mine: http://www.etsy.com/listing/159639236/ooak-handmade-resin-megaladon-shark?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=resin+shark+tooth&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all