PDA

View Full Version : Why we don't advise full silicone tails for your first tail.

Winged Mermaid
01-18-2014, 10:04 PM
(People have been asking me to repost a post I made (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6152-Aspiring-Mermaid!!!!-TAIL&p=94370&viewfull=1#post94370) in reply to a thread as a sticky, so I'm doing so :) Editing a little to take it from specific context to general context.)

If you ask what type of tail it's best for a beginner to start off with, chances are we're going to tell you to start with a fabric tail. Or at least a neoprene tail. It is the best way to go, but if you your really want a silicone tail and don't want to go that way don't! We're just here to advise you on what we know from experience and seen for ourselves. This is based on many years of experiences from many different merfolk.

The reasons most mers recommend fabric first:

-You may find when you get a tail that you don't like mermaiding after all. This actually happens a LOT. I myself have had dozens of friends hard core geek out about wanting to be a mermaid, but the minute I put them in a monofin and/or tail they they dropped that idea like a sack of bricks and never looked back. It's just not for some people.
Then there's about half or more of mers who get into mermaiding, are super gung ho for a while, then lose interest within a year or two. If you have a fabric tail it's no big deal. When you have a multi thousand dollar tail, you're going to lose a good chunk of that in resale.

-Silicone tails are HEAVY. Staring off with one you can actually injure yourself. I've seen it happen to people starting of with silicone tails, and/or starting off with a competitor monofin. You use different muscles to swim in and maneuver around in (dry or wet) a tail, so if you put a whole lot of stain on muscles that aren't used to that it can end badly. Even in needing a trip to the doctor for some. Full silicone tails usually are 15-30+lbs just in the fluke.

-When you're learning, you're going to bang up your first tail something fierce! There's more too it than learning to just swim from A to B. There's different kinds of turns, there's hovering instead of standing on your fluke, there's completely eliminating that nasty habit of ever hopping around on your fluke (balance can be an issue for first timers), there's learning how to gauge where the pool bottom and sides are at all times so you don't scrape anything, ect. This can lead to a lot of scraping, ripping, tearing, all that- even if you're careful! For a fabric tail you can repair it or get a new one. For a silicone one, repairs or replacement is very expensive, especially if you have to send it back to the tailmaker. We're talking a few hundred just for shipping. I've observed a lot of mers going from nothing to silicone or from fabric to silicone have the following happen to them- they scrape off a lot or all the paint on their heels, knees, and even the fluke (I've even seen paint scraped off of the body of silicone tails), put holes in the silicone body, tear the silicone body, tear the waist line, tear off dorsal fins, tear off other extra fins (pectoral, heel, ankle), and over stretch scales from putting it on improperly. That can be one expensive learning process if you go with silicone.

-Starting off in a silicone tail can be scary. Most people don't realize that having your legs bound together in the water until they're in the water having trouble. With a fabric tail you can have that thing of in literally 3 seconds if you need to, even total beginners can have it of in 5 seconds. A silicone tail? If you're panicking you're screwed, becuase that thing is skin tight with very tight foot pockets- it takes more time to get off. Even if people don't have a silicone tail I always advise them to learn with a tail and/or monofin with a floatation device and a safety buddy. For some people swimming in a tail comes natural. For others they just can't get it and they panic. So better to have safety first.

-Silicone tails are heavy and rubbery. They HURT when they hit someone. It takes times to learn to manuver around people safely in a pool with other people, and in close proximity. When I hit someone in my fabric tail it wasn't a big deal, or it just hurt them enough and "Ow!" and "Oh I'm so sorry!" "It's okay, just stung a bit." was all that I got. With a silicone tail you can leave a welt or worse.

-Silicone tails require a lot of care, and some maintenance that people may not be comfortable doing on their own. Silicone isn't indestructible, like people like to think. Chlorine and other things wear away at it like anything else. With silicone it can make it dry out, crack, and generally make it weaker leading to other issues. With some tailmakers the paint comes off way more easily than it should. If it gets moldy it will eat away at the silicone and make it fragile or even make it look dirty (when the mold is on the inside and you look at it from the outside). You get can get rips, tears, holes, ect same as any other tail. Silicone is harder to fix than neoprene or latex and neoprene tails.

Full after swim maintenance usually takes about an hour. You have to rinse it with water well inside and out, give it a baking soda rinse or bath, rinse it well again (if you want to be good about it, wipe it down with a virgin sponge as well while rinsing to make sure it's getting everything off), dry it by hand inside and out-and you have to get down in the fluke and footpockets REALLY well to avoid mold- then prop it up or open to make sure any remaining moisture airs out. Every few swims you really should spray it with adult toy cleaner or wipe it out with lysol wipes to kill bacteria and prevent mold. You need to patch holes or tears yourself with silicone. If you got your tail from a maker where paint comes off, you have to repaint it yourself with silicone and pigment or send it back to the tailmaker to have it touched up. If you tear off a fin or rip a seam you have to try and repair it yourself or send it back to the maker. Also you have to be extra careful in transporting it and storing it or you can damage it. Also if you lose weight you can't just take it in like all other tails- you have to send it in to be taken in. Some tailmakers can't fix the paint job if it's distorted by taking in the tail. They're high care tails, IF you want them to last more than a year or two.

Usually beginners don't want to deal with all that. They just want to swim and be done. With silicone tails swimming is only half of it.

Those are the usual reasons why we advise people to start off with fabric or neoprene tails. But it's just that- advice! If you believe you're experienced enough they won't be issues, or are wiling to deal with said issues, then go for it! We're here to support you :) Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into!

Blondie
01-19-2014, 12:36 AM
-You may find when you get a tail that you don't like mermaiding after all. This actually happens a LOT. I myself have had dozens of friends hard core geek out about wanting to be a mermaid, but the minute I put them in a monofin and/or tail they they dropped that idea like a sack of bricks and never looked back. It's just not for some people.
Then there's about half or more of mers who get into mermaiding, are super gung ho for a while, then lose interest within a year or two. If you have a fabric tail it's no big deal. When you have a multi thousand dollar tail, you're going to lose a good chunk of that in resale.

I couldn't agree with this one anymore. I love mermaiding. But actually doing it anymore? Not so much... I love watching others and going on the Mernetwork every night. But I feel as if I have moved on from my tail. It was lot of fun and I got a couple swims out of it. But I think I'm going to sell mine. When I first wanted a tail, I knew it would be a good idea to start with a more cheaper end tail. I don't feel bad that I spent only $200 for my tail. It was worth it for the fun I had. But now I think I want to pass the torch.

AniaR
01-19-2014, 01:14 AM
I talk a lot about the pros and cons of each type of tail in my book too, and I really agree with this.

Some of the threads I've written on the topic are related too: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

I think the odd person really can handle a silicone tail first, but in my experience TOO MANY PEOPLE have the incorrect expectations with their tails. I can't tell you how many complaints I've heard from tail makers that people complain their silicone tail is too heavy, when that tail is actually the standard weight. People throwing fits cuz they dont do their home work and have no clue what they've bought and complaining like it's a fault of the tail makers -_-

Aino Revontuletar
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
This is why I have decided to go with neoprene first. I have my competitor monofin, and I love swimming around in it, but I realise there is a big difference between swimming around in just a monofin and swimming in a full silicone tail. There are some really amazing neoprene tails out there that can really hold their own against the silicone ones, and I know I could make one just as good. Eventually I plan on making my silicone tail, bit for me I think neoprene is the way to go just to make sure I love mermaiding as much as I think I do and I am fully ready to take on the risk/commitment of making a silicone tail. And who knows, I might be completely happy with my neoprene tails just like Hannah and Mermaid Kariel and not even want to go there with silicone. I think everyone who is considering a silicone tail for their first needs to read this.

Miyu
01-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Oh, wait... You say people complain that they are heavy... When I did my first swim with a monofin last month or so, I actually was having a hard time because I am extremely positively bouyant... Hopefully a silicone tail will help weigh me down a bit :)

I really hope to get the funds for a monofin soon to practice more in a fabric tail before I get a silicone tail...

Thank you very much for the info. Now I know to take it REALLY SLOW and bring floaties for testing my silicone tail in water :) I'll also let my mertender know he can stand as close to me as he wants "in case of", because I probably won't be going anywhere in a hurry so he doesn't need to worry about getting in my way :P

BlueMermaid
01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't think people realize just how heavy they are. If someone asks me where they can get one, I usually tell them I do not recommend them for the general public. Not only are they too heavy for most people, constrict your legs, are hard to move in, hard to get on and off, don't breath, etc etc.... they are terribly expensive! I wear mine for work, but when I am just swimming for fun, I wear fabric tails, because they have none of those issues, and its much more enjoyable. But I do love my silicone for its realism!

Aino Revontuletar
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't think people realize just how heavy they are. If someone asks me where they can get one, I usually tell them I do not recommend them for the general public. Not only are they too heavy for most people, constrict your legs, are hard to move in, hard to get on and off, don't breath, etc etc.... they are terribly expensive! I wear mine for work, but when I am just swimming for fun, I wear fabric tails, because they have none of those issues, and its much more enjoyable. But I do love my silicone for its realism!

I am thinking they would be extremely cumbersome and impractical for dry events, not to mention sweaty and uncomfortable when out of the water. And since I am wanting to do dry events in my tail...yeah. Neoprene and sequins it is for me, at least for now. A silicone tail is still on the agenda as a future project though

Mermaid Jaffa
01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
I think it would be too scary for beginners to wear a big realistic tail. They're beautiful to look at, but I wait till I can swim properly with a monofin, then try the tricks, then if i want to, invest in a proper tail. That will take years I think! But it will be fun!

Jessica
01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I am thinking they would be extremely cumbersome and impractical for dry events, not to mention sweaty and uncomfortable when out of the water. And since I am wanting to do dry events in my tail...yeah. Neoprene and sequins it is for me, at least for now. A silicone tail is still on the agenda as a future project though

They are really uncomfortable for dry events! Two hours is my max for sitting dry in a tail before it really starts to get unbearable....they're very hot! The monofin in my first tail is a foil and it makes my feet ache because of the weight of the fluke too. I'm planning on making a hybrid neoprene/silicone tail soon just for dry events!

Aino Revontuletar
01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
They are really uncomfortable for dry events! Two hours is my max for sitting dry in a tail before it really starts to get unbearable....they're very hot! The monofin in my first tail is a foil and it makes my feet ache because of the weight of the fluke too. I'm planning on making a hybrid neoprene/silicone tail soon just for dry events!

Yeah. That just sounds nasty, hahaha. A neoprene/ silicone hybrid for dry events sounds like a good compromise. I can imagine even neoprene being very uncomfortable if the weather is even slightly hot. But I shall see once I make my neoprene/sequin tail. I think it will be a good place to start.

PearlieMae
01-22-2014, 10:24 PM
For strictly dry events, you might even consider spandex and sequins! Or, if you want silicone realism, make silicone scales like I am for my full silicone tail, and tacking them just at the top of each scale to a spandex tail with a dot of silicone, and maybe dots of silicone to hold them down. As a veteran of dozens of mermaid parades, you ready want air circulation! Also, you can make a fluke from much lighter materials, like plastic placemats, or wire frames and chiffon...since you don't have to worry about swimability, you can get really creative with materials.

Aino Revontuletar
01-22-2014, 10:27 PM
For strictly dry events, you might even consider spandex and sequins! Or, if you want silicone realism, make silicone scales like I am for my full silicone tail, and tacking them just at the top of each scale to a spandex tail with a dot of silicone, and maybe dots of silicone to hold them down. As a veteran of dozens of mermaid parades, you ready want air circulation! Also, you can make a fluke from much lighter materials, like plastic placemats, or wire frames and chiffon...since you don't have to worry about swimability, you can get really creative with materials.

Those are excellent ideas! After I have made my first neoprene tail I might have to start a non- swimmable dry event tail project!

Mizuko
01-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Even neoprene/silicone tail hybrids get HOT! haha! You have to be prepare to sweat a little in dry events ;D haha!

Anahita
01-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Hey, this may be the one time my anemia works to my benefit!

I'm always cold anyways.... Lol (even in my neoprene tail, I still felt I was cold)

spottedcatfish
01-23-2014, 05:53 AM
While a silicone tail looks gorgeous, for recreational mermaiding just sticking with a neoprene tail or fabric one makes more sense. You learn everything about being a mermaid, and then if you want to take it one step further and advance your mermaiding experience, you can go more realistic with silicone. Personally though I am interested in trying the process of molding with silicone, and gaining more knowledge about how it works as a material. It will be an expensive pursuit but I would feel more knowledgeable about the material if I ever did decide to get a silicone tail in the future.

Aino Revontuletar
01-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Don't forget you don't need a silicone tail to go pro, either :)

spottedcatfish
01-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Don't forget you don't need a silicone tail to go pro, either :)

Exactly, and if you have a silicone tail does not mean you are "pro" either. Remember: The tail does not make the mer, the mer must make their tail ( and whatever material it is made out of) come to life, if they chose to do so.

Aino Revontuletar
01-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Exactly, and if you have a silicone tail does not mean you are "pro" either. Remember: The tail does not make the mer, the mer must make their tail ( and whatever material it is made out of) come to life, if they chose to do so.

Well said!

Mermaid Adriel
01-23-2014, 07:58 AM
The tail does not make the mer, the mer must make their tail ( and whatever material it is made out of) come to life, if they chose to do so.

:thumbs up:

Miyu
01-23-2014, 08:58 AM
I have the opportunity of getting a silicone tail rather soon, but that doesn't mean I'm skipping straight past fabric and neoprene - it's more that there is a special opportunity there, I won't pass it up just because I'm not fully trained yet. I don't plan on doing much swimming in silicone just yet (unless when I try it on in water it's super-amazingly life-changing or something, but those are rare cases and I'm not counting on it).

I would have two fabric tails for practice and such done already, but I've discovered my small machine only does straight stitch! Now it's a dilemma of trying to sew it by hand, or try to quickly sew it when I visit Morticia :P I do plan on using only fabric tails for training - I was not very exposed to the water as a kid, and I've never had to do such athletic swimming! So I will take it easy on myself while training until I feel comfortable in my ability, and even then I'll probably just jump up to neoprene first.

Splashing around in the shallow end with the kiddos, now that's a different story. I'll pull out the silicone tail for that and dry events while I become a stronger swimmer. I know, you all have already said silicone tails are hot and uncomfortable... For the awesome, amazing special kids I want to do visits with, the discomfort is more than worth the looks of joy and the ability to bring a little magic into their lives :)

Merman Dan
01-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Granted, if you like lying on the bottom of the pool while blowing bubble rings a silicone tail definitely helps. ;)

BlueMermaid
01-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Silicone is soooooo uncomfortable out of the water. And alot of times I am out in the hot Florida sun. I end up with a tail full of sweat.... *eeewwwww* It's also very tiring on my legs and ankles just supporting the weight of the fluke, and trying to flap it for the enjoyment of the humans.

Miyu
01-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Dan, will it really help weight me down a bit? I'd love to sit on the bottom and blow bubble rings, but it takes so much effort for me just to break that barrier of getting down past two feet or so :P

Merman Dan
01-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Mind you, the first time I wore a silicone tail was MerFest. Finfolk has it with them, to take it in a bit. My first impressions were that it did add a bit of weight while in the water, but the competitor monofin more than compensated for keeping me afloat!

AniaR
01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
My tail makes me float. Bouyancy depends on the person I think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Merman Dan
01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
My tail makes me float. Bouyancy depends on the person I think

Agreed. My legs tend to sink like a stone on their own.

PearlieMae
01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
I used to have negative buoyancy as a kid...I would sink and could lay on the bottom of the pool like a shark. Now, I'm pretty neutral in the water (thank you adipose tissue!). My mother has to hold a cinderblock in the jacuzzi because she floats like a cork!

Mermaid Oshun
01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
i panic a little too. I honestly feel better w/o a tail

Mermaid Riia
01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Agreed with this topic!
Silicone tail, not the best option though they look really neat. I panicked the first time I tried my fabric tail.. on land. You think it's no biggie having legs tied but for me it felt like som sort of survival instinct kicking in :D "set me freeee noo!!"
It passes, and I don't feel like that anymore, but I never thought I would react that way

Mermaid Oshun
01-24-2014, 03:46 PM
My first tail was a spandex holographic scaled fabric tail I made with a latex fluke. Then I had a silicone flipper for a bit. Now I am finally about to make my first silicone tail for myself after going through all the others. I am so ready for it and looking forward to it. Just the same, I will also make a silicone scaled bathing suit and monofin because I am certain I will absolutely not wear the whole tale every time I swim

Mermaid Oshun
01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
*tail

Seatan
01-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I think it would be too scary for beginners to wear a big realistic tail. They're beautiful to look at, but I wait till I can swim properly with a monofin, then try the tricks, then if i want to, invest in a proper tail. That will take years I think! But it will be fun!

It kind of depends on what kind of person you are, too. Like me... I am a SCUBA diver and compared to the weight of my SCUBA tank a silicone tail doesn't seem so heavy. I am used to being in awkward situations trying to get in the water with heavy stuff strapped to me. Also, I am a cosplayer who regularly invests money in elaborate costumes instead of other things, and who is used to wearing very uncomfortable outfits for long periods of time simply for the pleasure of being in costume. So while I didn't totally skip the fabric tail stage, I did buy a silicone tail within five months of discovering mermaiding and I don't regret it at all. With my combination of SCUBA and costume experience, I knew what I was getting into. I probably won't swim in it more than once a week in summers and less in winters, but I simply really enjoy being in any kind of MAGNIFICENT costume and I always want nothing less than amazing when it comes to dressing up, which is what silicone tails are. So really I think it depends on who you are and why you want the tail. I love mermaids, but I don't live and breathe them like some people do. But dressing up and letting my creative geek run wild... That's me all day every day! So I am very happy with my silicone tail!

Mermaid Jaffa
01-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow! So much swimming experience! Me, I can only do the Frog Paddle and Backstroke. :D

Aino Revontuletar
01-24-2014, 10:21 PM
It kind of depends on what kind of person you are, too. Like me... I am a SCUBA diver and compared to the weight of my SCUBA tank a silicone tail doesn't seem so heavy. I am used to being in awkward situations trying to get in the water with heavy stuff strapped to me. Also, I am a cosplayer who regularly invests money in elaborate costumes instead of other things, and who is used to wearing very uncomfortable outfits for long periods of time simply for the pleasure of being in costume. So while I didn't totally skip the fabric tail stage, I did buy a silicone tail within five months of discovering mermaiding and I don't regret it at all. With my combination of SCUBA and costume experience, I knew what I was getting into. I probably won't swim in it more than once a week in summers and less in winters, but I simply really enjoy being in any kind of MAGNIFICENT costume and I always want nothing less than amazing when it comes to dressing up, which is what silicone tails are. So really I think it depends on who you are
and why you want the tail. I love mermaids, but I don't live and breathe them like some people do. But dressing up and letting my creative geek run wild... That's me all day every day! So I am very happy with my silicone tail!

It would definitely help to be scuba trained and used to that kind of thing. I am like you in that I am used to wearing elaborate clothes and dressing up and all that (I am not a cosplayer but I do wear lolita fashion and Victorian gothic stuff -corsets and whatnot). I would go for it and make a silicone tail if it weren't for the fact that I am desperately saving up to travel, and that is the most important thing to me, and I want to use my tail to get gigs and stuff that will help me save up for my travel. I figure I can do that with a neoprene tail, there are other mers who do that extremely successfully, and I am confident enough in my artistic skills to know I can make a really good neoprene tail. And making one is not going to take up all of my savings like a silicone tail would.

Kaila Mermaid
01-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Even without a tail, I sink like a rock in fresh water haha. No weight belt is needed here! Good thing I've found that treading water in a tail is much easier than without. I followed the whole fabric first idea and I can honestly say I'm glad I did. My poor fabric tail is somewhat worn at the heels and has a slight tear on the fluke. As far as the heat issue goes, that's why I keep my pirate on-hand with a spray bottle when doing dry events! Umbrellas help also (hooray sun allergies).

Miyu
01-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Seavanna, everything you said! I am so very used to cosplay/costumes/Victorian-style clothing... I am quite used to being uncomfortable to look good! A good investment is worth the joy you feel, whether it's in how you look or how you swim or how the kiddos react :)

...And, you know, I'm not about to just attempt to swim solo in the deep end by myself my first time in a silicone tail :P I know I'll prefer my fabric tails for swimming for a while.

Though, helping Morticia paint this neoprene tail... OMG it's so awesome I very much want one. I love how neoprene takes the paint, and painted scales and sequins can both look great together on neoprene :swoon:It can make for a super-realistic gorgeous tail as well... I'm just worried about how much MORE that will make me float, LOL!

NerineArcticMermaid
01-31-2014, 09:19 PM
OK. My 2 cents here...

So most dont know it but I actually had an unpainted neoprene tail for a while. Not many picutres of it. only one of me in it exsists I think. After that I got a latex tail from Mike Van Daal..just before he quit doing them. I couldnt swim in it due to some isssues. So I trained with my wave and the neoprene for a 1yr or so before Merman Jesse started making his silicone tails. So I now have had my silicone tail for almost 2yrs. It at first weighed around 50lbs. We changed the fluke the first time and it went down to 45lbs.. eneded up redoing fluke again due to some issues with the silicone and it dropped to 38lbs.

BUT thats 38lbs out of water. Yes heavy but I lug it around myself alot and have gotten used to it now. Im alot stronger now too. In the water though.. its nearly neutrally bouyant. I still wear 6lbs weighted belt when I swim with it.

Now that being said. It was still a big shock swimming in that tail the first few times. It swims so different from a plain monofin and even the neoprene tail.
I trained alot too. 4 times a week for an hour or more.

I now train in tail half of the time. I noticed an increase in my speed and breath hold, even the distance i can swim has become easier out of tail.

So.. yeah.. do go for broke right out of the gate. Work up to it. Get stronger in the right areas. Train.. train some more and then train some more.

Hope that helps a little :D

AniaR
01-31-2014, 11:56 PM
then there's annoying people like my baby sister, who have never swam in any tail, and put on a 50lbs silicone tail, and do tricks I couldnt dream of after years in my tail... LOL

Mermaid Harmony
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
My fishbutt is a neoprin/silicone tail and boy it heats up fast during dry events, it's nice though when I'm swimming at night or in colder water because it keeps me warm and toasty on the bottom half of my body.

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Oh and I have heard that even some pro mers like to practice in fabric tails. They're lighter and cheaper so you can practice tricks and things easier. So it stands to reason, even if you plan on getting a silicone tail or you have one payed for even, you should make/buy a fabric one. :)

Ayla of Duluth
05-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I think I'm one of those rare cases where I got a silicone tail instead of starting out with fabric or neoprene. I definitely would not recommend it for just anyone. I had a feeling I'd be good at it because I'm very confident in the water, and I had a bunch of people watching me my first time to make sure I was okay. I took it really slow and didn't push myself, but even to this day with all my practice, there are still things I can't quite do, such as hover in the water instead of standing on the fluke.

Dry events are a whole other story as well. I did a boo at the zoo event, it was 8 hours of sitting on a rock prop in my merbellas tail. Let me tell you, the sweat was unbearable. That along with the fact that I used lotion to slide into my tail made for a really gross sticky mess. I couldn't flop my fluke for the kids because that much weight on my feet would cause cramping. In the end I took my feet out of my foot pockets and just had my tail hanging to take the stress off my muscles. Definitely not for beginners, but I'm willing to put up with the hassle and discomfort just for the realistic look and feel of it alone. And cleaning it, don't even get me started. Its such a chore! I can't just throw it in the washer like a fabric tail. That thing gets a full on baking soda bath when it gets home. And drying it is an event all its own, since I don't have a drying stand and I live in this tiny apartment.

Mermaid Adriel
05-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Even if I hope to make my silicone tail soon, I'm not ready to start with it. I'm not a good swimmer yet so to make sure with it I'll use fabric for first :)

MermanDan
06-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Can you use clear silicone caulking( like what you would get at Home Depot). To attatch fins to a silicone tail? Also, could you mix glitter with it to decorate scales on a silicone tail?

Mermaid Wesley
06-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Yes you probably could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt Nemo
06-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Not on a silicone tail! It won't stick.

AniaR
06-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes it sticks. I reattached my pelvic fin with silicone caulking specified by smooth on at home depot and it has been stuck on for a year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kaila Mermaid
06-11-2014, 10:50 PM
More Saving. More Zombie-like Employees. That's the power of The Home Depot.
Love your friendly Service Desk associate ;P

JUST MAKE YOU SURE DON'T ACCIDENTALLY GET COLORED CAULK. It also comes in Clear :)

MermanDan
06-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Dear Kaila, I am laughing as I am going to sleep. Thanks!

Kaida, Queen of the Dragonfishes
07-28-2014, 02:26 AM
SO, I did make a fabric tail for my first tail. Looks beautiful in the sun, structurally sound. But after weeks of practicing with just the monofin...adding the fabric made it extremely heavy! Couldn`t pop it out of the water, was sluggish swimming. I`m not afraid of doing some strength training (going to make a slightly less fancy version for practice), but wow. People always mention how heavy silicone is, and obviously non-neoprene fabrics will weight more once in water. But no one ever seems to talk about or mention this? (I looked in the what to expect/first tail thread too). What was everyone elses first time in a fabric tail like? Does the drag/weight get better as muscle strength improves or is that just the way it is?

Mermaid Wesley
07-28-2014, 02:29 AM
You do get used to it. It depends on how tight the fabric is as well as how many extra fins you may have etc. In my fabric tail I can only swim slow because of my fluke extensions for example. If I try to swim fast, there's a ton of drag. You get used to to pretty quickly I think, which is why nobody really talks about it.

AniaR
07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
All tails are tricky to get out of the water from the fluke. Water collects there. Even with drainage holes then you gotta lift it up just enough for them to drain lol. in my experience the best thing is to learn how to do finslaps. you can do them even with heavy flukes and it makes it all look real. I also find if I'm on my belly and put the tail up behind me, water will drain through my wait and that's a lot easier than being on my back and lifting it up

Mermaid Galene
07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
One of my two fabric tails has about a foot of flowy, ruffled spandex at the end of the fluke. I get a huge amount of drag in that, so I don't use it for distance swimming. When I got the other one, I spruced up the fluke with fabric additions and hip fins. But I chose fabrics that were slick and not thick and absorbent, and I only allowed about 4 inches of fabric to extend past the end of the fluke. In that tail, I don't notice any drag at all. It swims beautifully, even when I wear a flowy fabric belt.

Slee
08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Thank you- I will stop thinking of the tail I'm going to be sewing in a few days as "just a fabric tail," since it will be my first.:cthulhu:

Nana
08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah don't start with a silicon tail. I made the mistake. A few years ago I decided. Lets learn some new way of swimming and I always wanted to be like a mermaid. Cute, beautiful, mysterious so I wanted a tail and if I gonna learn it why pick just some cheap tail? So I got myself a silicone tail. Was strange getting in, was strange getting out. I had my few moments of joy. Half a year later I dropped it cause I felt silly and childish and people just kept staring at me. Also after I got home from swimming my whole family couldn't use the bath tub cause the tail was in here with me cleaning it.
I only started it again cause a good friend told me I shouldn't get discouraged by what other people think and that he believes its pretty cool and likes to hear about my unusual hobby.
So now I'm here with a new tail (silicone again) but at least now I have a year experience and I'm determined to continue.

Really if you don't have thick scales or friends to support you chances are you just wasted 3000+ dollars on top to the broken heart for 6 months of being a mermaid with realistic tail. Taking care of the tail isn't as much of a problem if you can organize yourself and know where on the internet to look after a guide for it. (Love the internet. Best invention a human could ever come up with)

Black Akira
08-16-2014, 02:40 AM
I figured I would practice first in a monofin.

Weight wouldn't bother me as I'm very active, I ride my bicycle everyday for miles which I've been doing for years now.
I've strengthened my legs considerably so relearning how to swim and practicing will help alot.

Also there is a tail maker whom I like makes realistic tails that are latex that weigh around 15 pounds.

Mermaid Morgann
08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I had a wonderful opportunity to get a silicone tail and not pay myself (found a sponsor) so I ordered a silicone tail about the same time that I ordered a fabric "practice" tail. As a cocky young swimmer who was quite literally amphibious and practically lived in the water for my entire childhood, I thought that this would be a piece of cake. Sure, the dolphin kicks were easy, and as I was training to become a free-diver, the breath holding wasn't too bad either. However, what was bad, was exactly what you guys have said; I wasn't used to using those leg muscles the same way!

I am now very grateful to have been started off in a fabric tail, because not only did it help me realize exactly how much I love being a mermaid and swimming like one, but it showed me that I had a lot of work to do before my silicone tail would come to me. The fabric tail was great for workouts to train my body into a swimming machine, and the monofin I was able to learn to swim with after some practice.

Case and point, I would've thought I was completely ready but by getting a fabric practice tail I learned that though a trained swimmer for years, I had a lot of ground to make up before getting into a silicone tail!

Mermaid Reiko
09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I have the opportunity of getting a silicone tail rather soon, but that doesn't mean I'm skipping straight past fabric and neoprene - it's more that there is a special opportunity there, I won't pass it up just because I'm not fully trained yet. I don't plan on doing much swimming in silicone just yet (unless when I try it on in water it's super-amazingly life-changing or something, but those are rare cases and I'm not counting on it).

I would have two fabric tails for practice and such done already, but I've discovered my small machine only does straight stitch! Now it's a dilemma of trying to sew it by hand, or try to quickly sew it when I visit Morticia :P I do plan on using only fabric tails for training - I was not very exposed to the water as a kid, and I've never had to do such athletic swimming! So I will take it easy on myself while training until I feel comfortable in my ability, and even then I'll probably just jump up to neoprene first.

Splashing around in the shallow end with the kiddos, now that's a different story. I'll pull out the silicone tail for that and dry events while I become a stronger swimmer. I know, you all have already said silicone tails are hot and uncomfortable... For the awesome, amazing special kids I want to do visits with, the discomfort is more than worth the looks of joy and the ability to bring a little magic into their lives :)
This is wonderful! What I am working on is research while swimming. I am on the side practicing along with the life guards as I was not a good swimmer before. Its so much fun when they see you progress and I would like to have my life guard and scuba as well license. Try tossing pool toys into the bottom of the pool and using your monofin/fabric tail to dive for them. It will teach you to move around more, how to get air in different ways. Treading water is also much much different but there are different ways to do it. I'm new myself but after 4 months of swim training and entering the world of swimming with my monofin and fabric tail. I think I can honestly see a big difference and even a improvement of speed and muscle control. Keep up the good work!

Talia
09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Good thing I found this thread!

I have had my fabric tail for 2 years now and was considering saving up to buy a silicone one. I don't think I am ready to do that just yet. I'm afraid I would be no good in taking care of a silicone tail by myself, and having to ship it back and forth to the States would be my ruin.

As of today, I only spent an extra 70 euros on a new monofin (the first one broke), and I also bought a new tail skin (another 70), but because I was feeling fancy, not because I really needed it. Although the first skin is becoming larger each day, and the fabric is not firm anymore. When stretched, it does not come back well. Still, it's just 70 euros for a brand new tail each 2 years...

SeaSister
09-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Alright so I have a bit of a dilemma. For the past two years, ever since I've gotten into mermaiding, I've been struggling with what to do for my first tail.

For a little while I entertained the idea of making my own, but that idea was quickly scrapped since, unlike most of you guys, I'm not crafty. 1. I have no sewing machine, 2. Even I did, I can't sew for the life of me (grade 7 sewing class proved this to me), 3. The thought of working with latex or silicone in my own home without supervision sounds about as scary as someone asking me to work in a lab with radioactive elements XD

So, it comes down to buying a tail. I am (like a few people on here) a poor student still relying on my parents for certain costs like tuition. Saving up for a tail has been slow, since I don't work all the time and I don't want to take too much of the money I earn to put in my tail fund since I need most of it for other expenses (plus I would feel awful about blowing all of my paychecks on a tail while my parents are still selflessly paying for my schooling). Now, after a year of money slowly trickling into my savings account, I have $700. I feel like I'm at a bit of a cross-roads now and torn with what I want to do with this.

My first impulse is to NOT touch it at all for a while and just keep saving up for a silicone tail, for which I expect to spend somewhere between $2,500 - 3,000. In student-world, that's a lot of money and it will certainly take me a LONG time to get there (even if I work part-time while attending school and live with my parents). So I won't lie that the prospect of spending even just a couple of hundred dollars on a fabric tail makes me wince a bit, in spite of the resounding consensus that it's best to start with a fabric tail.

I'm a bit like Seavanna - I lean more towards the cosplay elements of mermaiding and I don't plan on "going pro", although I figure that if I'm going to spend money on a mermaid costume, it needs to be a costume that I'm going to absolutely LOVE, last me a long time and feel proud wearing no matter where I am. I'm not trying to bash fabric tails, because I know that some fabric tails can look really nice, but I want to aim for realism and for that I'm definitely wanting a latex or silicone tail. I think the only fabric tail that I've liked enough to consider as a "starter" tail is the Magictail tails... but even then, I'm gnashing my teeth because the sizes are quite limited (medium is size US 4 - 8, large is 10 - 16; I land splat in between size 8-10, so it's either going to be really tight or really loose :/)

Now, another possibility would be to buy a monofin and practice with that. I'm thinking that I might buy a competitor monofin, train with it, then (when I have enough money in the bank) send it to a tail-maker so they can use it for making the tail. Do you guys think that this would work? It's definitely my preferred option for the moment, since I would still get practice doing the dolphin kick with my feet tied together but without having to make an investment in something that I view as a temporary solution.

Slee
09-05-2014, 07:47 AM
I had read somewhere in one of the monofin threads that the competitor was best trained up to by learning to use a monofin of lesser mass or something. I don't know, I was worried that a rapid would be too much in a starter fin, it's been perfect. I figured, if it turned out to be too much for me, I could always sell it on ebay.

Anahita
09-05-2014, 07:57 AM
People have had trouble with fiberglass monofins when they've never swam in a monofin before.... But the foil or wave/rapid aren't so pricey and people have less problems learning in them.

Something to keep in mind I think, because that way you don't lose $300USD on a monofin when you could save that money to go towards the actual tail. A foil only runs about $50USD and the wave/rapid only a bit more than that if I recall.

That's what I would suggest, because it's a much smaller chunk out of the tail fund, and you're also not left hoping your tail maker will agree to put an old used monofin in a brand new tail, and you're not stuck paying shipping and handling fees if they do agree to it.

Slee
09-05-2014, 08:06 AM
The prices on swimoutlet.com right now for the rapid almost have me buying a second one so I'd feel comfortable modifying the shape on mine.

SeaSister
09-05-2014, 03:10 PM
That's a good idea, Anahita! That was something else that I was sort of worrying about, whether or not a tail maker might refuse to make a tail with a used monofin. $50 sounds pretty reasonable in comparison, and it would probably be better anyways to have a brand-new monofin in the tail itself (lest the monofin cracks, like what happened in Raina's tail I believe). I love getting your guys' opinions. :)

Anahita
09-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it's always best for a brand new monofin in the tail. That way, in addition to lessening the risk of it cracking from previous wear, it also cuts down on the risk of the silicone not curing because of some outside contaminant. Silicone can be REALLY weird about stuff sometimes.

Mermaid Silverlilly
01-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks for this I am starting out with a fabric tail but with the benefits of mermaid and helping to flatten my stomach I honestly think that I will really enjoy Mermaid for many years to come!

But I am still going to save for a silicone tail down the track for sure as even though I am a beginner I am pretty certain in my mind that I want to stick around and do this so much plus it is a good way to make new crafty friends with my new hobby!

But thanks a ton I am definately starting out in a Fabric tail hoping to go silicone down the track!

MermaidVictory
06-20-2015, 03:11 PM
I talk a lot about the pros and cons of each type of tail in my book too, and I really agree with this.

Some of the threads I've written on the topic are related too: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

I think the odd person really can handle a silicone tail first, but in my experience TOO MANY PEOPLE have the incorrect expectations with their tails. I can't tell you how many complaints I've heard from tail makers that people complain their silicone tail is too heavy, when that tail is actually the standard weight. People throwing fits cuz they dont do their home work and have no clue what they've bought and complaining like it's a fault of the tail makers -_-

I'm a beginner with a partial silicone (the fabric didn't appeal and I felt I had enough skill for the partial) and I agree with you on all that. Blaming the tailmakers is wrong since they work hard on a product you ordered that can be considered a piece of art in it's own right. Hopefully the fits don't happen too often. :P

Sylvia The Siren
10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Ok this is usefull. Any idea where I could go buy the materials to make one or buy one online for cheap??

Mermaid Mystery
10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
the search bar is your friend

Ashe
10-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Well, you're not going to find a good silicone tail for cheap :lol:
You're new to MerNwtwork, yeah? Are you new to being a mermaid as well?

Sylvia The Siren
10-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Yes I am new to Mernetwork and I am saving for a silicone tail currently, and yes I am new to being a Mermaid...well my alias is a mermaid-siren hybrid but ya know XD.

theMerFanc
10-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes I am new to Mernetwork and I am saving for a silicone tail currently, and yes I am new to being a Mermaid...well my alias is a mermaid-siren hybrid but ya know XD.
Sylvia, something you could do is checkout the classified sub-forum on this board. There are a lots of people selling their old tails for, obviously, a more afordable price then buying a new one. Although you won't get to customize your own dream tail, you will be able to get a gorgeous tail for a decent price.

Mermaid Kelda
10-09-2015, 08:18 PM
^ This is good advice!

Also check out the review forum. A good option might Mertailor's partial silicone tails but he has mixed reviews so you'll have to decide yourself if you want to order from him.

Mermaid Whisper
11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
I was totally thinking about getting a silicone tail for my very first one. I looked at the Basic Silicone (Mertailor) and fell in love, but now, I am reading so many horrible things about Eric AND his tails!

I suppose a fabric tail wouldn't be too bad. Some of my mermaid idols (Little Orca and Seraphina Suds!) have had fabric tails that, while unrealistic, were still made magical by the wearer.

MermaidRaegan
11-10-2015, 03:26 PM
There are some really great fabric tails out there, and you don't have to sacrifice realism entirely. Obviously you won't be able to get the level of realism that many silicone tails offer, but you'd be surprised what a good paint job can do for a 'plain old fabric tail'. So I wouldn't entirely give up on getting something of the look you want. :) And as you said, it is very possible to rock a fabric tail and make it look like a million bucks. Plus, you can always upgrade to something super swanky later on.

Mermaid Whisper
11-10-2015, 04:14 PM
"Something super swanky"...I can dig it! :) My mom owes me $150, which would be perfect for a tail...if she would only pay me back!

Mermaid Alea
11-10-2015, 09:28 PM
To me on land you get caught up in wanting your tail to look realistic, but once you get in the water in that fabric tail you care a lot less about what it looks like and you care more about how flippin' fun it is to swim in a tail! ;)

A lot of fabric tails you can buy have printed scales on them to make them realistic. You could get one of those and paint it some to make it even more realistic looking.
This site is great for some unique spandex to make a tail out of: http://spandexworld.com/?gclid=CMWn0qCnh8kCFRCqaQod47cHpg - Ooh look right now you can get 15% off of your order!

Here is my spandex tail. It isn't my dream tail but I definitely love it and have a blast swimming in it.

Mermaid Wesley
11-10-2015, 10:50 PM
*applause* yes. I used to worry about realism in my fabric tail but really it is just a ton of fun once you get in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mer-Crazy
11-11-2015, 05:00 PM
After my first tail debacle I just bought a monofin and ended up having a ton of fun in that. Earlier this year I got my very first fabric tail to play with since it was starting to get hot and I was still waiting for my silicone one. So far I've loved my fabric tail. True, I complain about the monofin every time I use it because it's got no push compared to my finis trainer but it's reassured me that I'll at least be able to deal with the restrictions of the silicone tail to some extent.

But I think even when I get my silicone tail I'll still use the fabric one for some things. A big fluke is just not practical in a small pool.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

MermaidRaegan
11-12-2015, 11:01 AM
^^^
this. Even though I love my partial silicone tail, I still use my neoprene one more often because my pool is so small, and a big fluke can be a pain in tight spaces. My silicone one only gets pulled out of I'm swimming in a larger body of water.
I always tell people that they should consider where they'll be swimming when choosing a tail, because that can have a huge affect in how much use you get out of it.

midwesternmermaid
11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
quick question about the flexibility of silicone: how well does it stretch over your bum, knees and ankles - or is that something you should really avoid? Or, could you allow some extra slack? I'm about ready to upgrade from fabric to silicone and that's one of my concerns. Then, you mention the fluke weighing a ton and i'm starting to go "ah!"

Mer-Crazy
11-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Silicone has a lot of stretch to it. Measuring firmly, but not tightly, ensures the best result most of the time. Giving it a little slack is fine in some areas like the ankles, as it can help get the monofin on easier since you have more room to reach however can create wrinkles. Around the knees a little bit of room is okay if you have previous knee injures or problems. The butt I'm not too sure but I know it's a notoriously hard part to get on due to the swimsuit.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

AniaR
11-13-2015, 06:33 AM
See, I personally will always prefer a loose tail to a tight tail. I don't find silicone has that much stretch. If you're constantly stretching it, it is going to wear out in that area. Our blue tail is tight on me and only an inch smaller in the hips than mine, and I could barely wear it for photos it was so uncomfortable. My personal tail is skin tight and leaves impressions on my skin and I find it a challenge to safely get on and off.

I find softer silicone is stretchy but it'll always be more fragile and tear easier.

If I am successful enough to buy myself another personal tail I will have it made looser. It may occasionally wrinkle like that but to me that's better than the pain, slowness of getting off and on, and risk of damage to waist line

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sherielle
11-13-2015, 11:12 AM
My tail was bought second (third) hand and it doesn't quite fit my measurements. It's just a tad too small. If I am ever able to afford my own custom tail, I'll probably have it fitting just about right in the waist/butt area with a little bit looser in the knees and ankles. I'm tired of fighting my tail to get into it.
Of course, I could just exercise and lose weight and all but who am I kidding? lol

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 09:02 AM
I've had a tail before but I grew out of it sadly :( It was a magictail

Mermaid Whisper
11-14-2015, 05:36 PM
@Mermaid Alea, I adore your tail!

The rest of you guys are making really good points. I actually convinced a ten-year-old-girl that I'm a mermaid--WITHOUT a tail! I suppose you don't need full-on realism--it's all what you make of it.

Rinoa Opaltide
12-01-2015, 01:57 AM
I am currently working on my first tail (fabric) to go with the mahina merfin I practiced with this summer. I also have a foil that I've been practicing with and absolutely love, and am considering putting that inside of a silicone tail once I get to that stage. I want to make my own for my first silicone tail because I love learning new things (especially crafty things) and I know I'd love it to pieces even if I couldn't take it in the water all the time. Also, like several of the other mers who've posted here, I cosplay and that part of me craves both the process of creating a tail and accessories out of silicone, and the realism of many finished silicone mer-things.
The jump from monofin to fabric to silicone is a big one and I know it'll take a lot of work to get there, but I really don't think a neoprene tail will work for me (though I'd love one because it would help keep me warmer in the cold northern water...). I used to do scuba diving and I can still remember the first time I went in the water with a wetsuit - I was pretty much floating on my back and barely able to stay underwater when swimming. Then I added the scuba gear and tank and - ended up upside-down (head down, feet up), unable to right myself on my own (but at least I could breathe). With ankle weights I'm fine, but that experience makes me really wary to try a neoprene tail...

Kaila Mermaid
12-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Some mers will actually put little ankle weights in their neoprene (and otherwise) tails to help with that issue

landlockedmermaid
05-14-2016, 01:09 PM
I feel the way you do about going with a neoprene tail first. I would love to have a neoprene tail made for me that I would then paint and add sequins to. However I have had a difficult time finding tail makers who will make neoprene tails. Any ideas of who to talk to?

landlockedmermaid
05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
I saw a hybrid neoprene/silicone tail and I thought it was lovely. That may be a good way to graduate from a spandex tail into something more realistic looking.

Keiris
05-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Actually, My hybrid tail is not neoprene and If you look at my pics under my thread, it looks pretty realistic and is a hell of a lot easier than getting into full silicone.

Mermaid_Arowana
09-28-2016, 03:28 AM
Hi Mermaids. Goodday Swimming to all.
I have a question, Is it really advisable/applicable or is an SOP to pay in full amount when ordering a silicone tail online?

Thanks in advance.

PearlieMae
09-28-2016, 11:17 AM
In the mermaid world, you would be hard pressed to find a tailmaker that will begin work on a tail without being paid in full before production begins, so it is pretty much standard operating procedure. Tailmakers usually have very strict policies regarding this due to being burned. Supplies to make tails are expensive and since most tails are custom made, if a tailmaker gets stiffed, they have to absorb that cost.

That being said, many people have been burned by tailmakers - both by thieves or tailmakers who are overcommitted and/or new - so without guarantees in place, tail buyers are reticent to risk laying out a big sum for a custom tail.

If you are nervous about putting so much out there, make sure you use some process that has protections in place, like a credit card or PayPal, and keep diligent records of every exchange and transaction.

This is where doing your research is paramount to your decision. I think it can only pay off for everyone to go with a reputable tailmaker, even if the price is high and/or the wait times are long. The Mernetwork forums are filled with sad stories.

Good luck!

ForsakenMermaid
09-28-2016, 12:28 PM
This thread has really opened my eyes to the potential dangers of silicon! I wasn't planning on getting a super expensive tail any time soon, but now I see it might not be right for me even after I get comfortable with my fabric one.

PearlieMae
09-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Silicon is glass, silicone is rubber.

What potential dangers are you referring to? Swimming or tailmakers using toxic materials?

ForsakenMermaid
09-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Without having to retype everything again, all of the things listed in the first post here:

The reasons most mers recommend fabric first:

-Silicone tails are HEAVY. Staring off with one you can actually injure yourself. I've seen it happen to people starting of with silicone tails, and/or starting off with a competitor monofin. You use different muscles to swim in and maneuver around in (dry or wet) a tail, so if you put a whole lot of stain on muscles that aren't used to that it can end badly. Even in needing a trip to the doctor for some. Full silicone tails usually are 15-30+lbs just in the fluke.

-When you're learning, you're going to bang up your first tail something fierce! There's more too it than learning to just swim from A to B. There's different kinds of turns, there's hovering instead of standing on your fluke, there's completely eliminating that nasty habit of ever hopping around on your fluke (balance can be an issue for first timers), there's learning how to gauge where the pool bottom and sides are at all times so you don't scrape anything, ect. This can lead to a lot of scraping, ripping, tearing, all that- even if you're careful! For a fabric tail you can repair it or get a new one. For a silicone one, repairs or replacement is very expensive, especially if you have to send it back to the tailmaker. We're talking a few hundred just for shipping. I've observed a lot of mers going from nothing to silicone or from fabric to silicone have the following happen to them- they scrape off a lot or all the paint on their heels, knees, and even the fluke (I've even seen paint scraped off of the body of silicone tails), put holes in the silicone body, tear the silicone body, tear the waist line, tear off dorsal fins, tear off other extra fins (pectoral, heel, ankle), and over stretch scales from putting it on improperly. That can be one expensive learning process if you go with silicone.

-Starting off in a silicone tail can be scary. Most people don't realize that having your legs bound together in the water until they're in the water having trouble. With a fabric tail you can have that thing of in literally 3 seconds if you need to, even total beginners can have it of in 5 seconds. A silicone tail? If you're panicking you're screwed, becuase that thing is skin tight with very tight foot pockets- it takes more time to get off. Even if people don't have a silicone tail I always advise them to learn with a tail and/or monofin with a floatation device and a safety buddy. For some people swimming in a tail comes natural. For others they just can't get it and they panic. So better to have safety first.

-Silicone tails are heavy and rubbery. They HURT when they hit someone. It takes times to learn to manuver around people safely in a pool with other people, and in close proximity. When I hit someone in my fabric tail it wasn't a big deal, or it just hurt them enough and "Ow!" and "Oh I'm so sorry!" "It's okay, just stung a bit." was all that I got. With a silicone tail you can leave a welt or worse.

-Silicone tails require a lot of care, and some maintenance that people may not be comfortable doing on their own. Silicone isn't indestructible, like people like to think. Chlorine and other things wear away at it like anything else. With silicone it can make it dry out, crack, and generally make it weaker leading to other issues. With some tailmakers the paint comes off way more easily than it should. If it gets moldy it will eat away at the silicone and make it fragile or even make it look dirty (when the mold is on the inside and you look at it from the outside). You get can get rips, tears, holes, ect same as any other tail. Silicone is harder to fix than neoprene or latex and neoprene tails.

Full after swim maintenance usually takes about an hour. You have to rinse it with water well inside and out, give it a baking soda rinse or bath, rinse it well again (if you want to be good about it, wipe it down with a virgin sponge as well while rinsing to make sure it's getting everything off), dry it by hand inside and out-and you have to get down in the fluke and footpockets REALLY well to avoid mold- then prop it up or open to make sure any remaining moisture airs out. Every few swims you really should spray it with adult toy cleaner or wipe it out with lysol wipes to kill bacteria and prevent mold. You need to patch holes or tears yourself with silicone. If you got your tail from a maker where paint comes off, you have to repaint it yourself with silicone and pigment or send it back to the tailmaker to have it touched up. If you tear off a fin or rip a seam you have to try and repair it yourself or send it back to the maker. Also you have to be extra careful in transporting it and storing it or you can damage it. Also if you lose weight you can't just take it in like all other tails- you have to send it in to be taken in. Some tailmakers can't fix the paint job if it's distorted by taking in the tail. They're high care tails, IF you want them to last more than a year or two.

Usually beginners don't want to deal with all that. They just want to swim and be done. With silicone tails swimming is only half of it.

Those are the usual reasons why we advise people to start off with fabric or neoprene tails. But it's just that- advice! If you believe you're experienced enough they won't be issues, or are wiling to deal with said issues, then go for it! We're here to support you :) Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into!

PearlieMae
09-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Oh...okay...

I though there was a specific concern, not the entire scope of silicone tails.

Teec106
07-29-2017, 09:37 PM
This post gave me comfort!! I got my first fabric tail early June and I've become so obsessed with mermaiding that all I've had on my mind is SILICONE TAIL! After reading this, and after weeks of not shutting up about wanting a silicone, (can't afford it right now), I realize I'm not ready for one and all the work that comes with it! I tried researching online and all I got was ads for more tails. Thank you! I'm now content with my fabric tails :)

user76213849809
05-10-2018, 02:40 AM
(just out of curiosity) what is the minimum age do you guys recommend for purchasing a silicone tail?

Ransom
05-10-2018, 04:42 AM
When you stop growing. For most people it's their very late teens or early twenties.

PearlieMae
05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Yes, once you stop growing so much, AND the decision should also be based upon your actual swimming ability!

Aria the Mermaid
05-10-2018, 02:00 PM
As a mermaid who first swam in a latex tail I HIGHLY recommend not getting a silicone tail as a 1st time swim. It was difficult for me to get my bearings. If I wasn't so passionate or sure that this is what I wanted to do I think I would have just dropped this dream. Cloth tails are perfect to really figure out if this is something you want to pursue without investing a lot.

Satine
05-12-2018, 02:20 PM
With everything in this post I wonder where does mertailors fantasea fin with fabric or neoprean skins fit in? The fin by its self is silicone. Then you have the option of adding fabric or neoprean skins to it. Where would y’all rate everything beginner or intermediate?

I’ve started out with a finfun but find that I am uncomfortable in it because there is zero stiffness and power in the monofin it’s just incredibly bendy. I have ordered a mertailor fantasy fin with a matching fabric skin so I can practice and get in good mermaid shape before I send the measurements out for my silicone tail.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

KTMaggs
05-12-2018, 08:40 PM
I couldn't agree with this one anymore. I love mermaiding. But actually doing it anymore? Not so much... I love watching others and going on the Mernetwork every night. But I feel as if I have moved on from my tail. It was lot of fun and I got a couple swims out of it. But I think I'm going to sell mine. When I first wanted a tail, I knew it would be a good idea to start with a more cheaper end tail. I don't feel bad that I spent only $200 for my tail. It was worth it for the fun I had. But now I think I want to pass the torch. [/COLOR]

Are you selling your tail? If you post it on classified I may purchase it.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

BlueCorvidae
05-18-2018, 12:27 AM
With everything in this post I wonder where does mertailors fantasea fin with fabric or neoprean skins fit in? The fin by its self is silicone. Then you have the option of adding fabric or neoprean skins to it. Where would y’all rate everything beginner or intermediate?

I’ve started out with a finfun but find that I am uncomfortable in it because there is zero stiffness and power in the monofin it’s just incredibly bendy. I have ordered a mertailor fantasy fin with a matching fabric skin so I can practice and get in good mermaid shape before I send the measurements out for my silicone tail.

I went to the Mertailor's physical store yesterday and got to hold a fantasea monofin. It's really not much heavier than a solid rubber monofin, and feels like you'd get some decent propulsion out of it. Honestly, I think it would be safe for a first timer, or at least not much different from going with a mahina.

I started with a neoprene tail for my first tail too, so you should be good to go.

Mermaid Alea
05-22-2018, 11:18 AM
x2 I think starting with the fantasea monofin and a tailskin is good.

I think most tails are great for a beginner. However, tails that will obviously have drag to them, such as those with many extra fins or a fluke with lots of trailing fabric, are probably not good for a new mer. Not saying that a new mer can't handle swimming in that kind of tail, but just saying that it is better to start with a simpler tail that will be fun and have minimal drag to introduce mermaiding in a positive way instead of, "Oh my gosh, I'm swimming as hard as I can and I'm hardly getting anywhere. This is horrible!"

KTMaggs
06-10-2018, 03:28 AM
x2 I think starting with the fantasea monofin and a tailskin is good.

I think most tails are great for a beginner. However, tails that will obviously have drag to them, such as those with many extra fins or a fluke with lots of trailing fabric, are probably not good for a new mer. Not saying that a new mer can't handle swimming in that kind of tail, but just saying that it is better to start with a simpler tail that will be fun and have minimal drag to introduce mermaiding in a positive way instead of, "Oh my gosh, I'm swimming as hard as I can and I'm hardly getting anywhere. This is horrible!"

Yes this is very true. A person who has been doing swimming and is a very good swimmer probably can handle tails with more drag earlier on

accbuzzblog80
08-03-2022, 02:11 AM
In order to turn your social accounts profit, buy google voice number with bitcoin (https://accbuzz.com/product/buy-google-voice-accounts/) you have to make sure that you're using the right strategies. Facebook and Twitter, for instance, are notorious for ripping off businesses by guesstimating their customers' interests. These companies then use the data from their users to determine which ads to send to them, but sometimes the data is incorrect. If an ad is sent to a user who won't click through to the product or service, buy gmail accounts in bulk (https://accbuzz.com/product/buy-gmail-accounts/) Facebook will lose money.