PDA

View Full Version : Ocean swimming - how do you deal with the waves?

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
A few weeks ago I decided to test out my competitor monofin in the ocean, and I found it very difficult to deal with the waves throwing me about and the changing depths of the water as the waves go in and out. I was knocked about quite a bit and was scared that I was actually going to break my monofin. I was terrified a wave would just come and send me fin-first into the sand. Eventually I got far out enough that the waves weren't that bad, but at that stage I was getting rather afraid of being too far out and possibly being shark bait (there are quite a lot of sharks around here and like a lot of people, I happen to be terrified of them). Sharks aside, I really can't imagine taking my beautiful tail I have worked so hard on out into the mercy of the waves. I would love to be able to swim in the ocean with my tail once I have made it, but I can just see it getting beat up and destroyed - that's not even mentioning the sand factor! I know there are a lot of mers here who do swim in the ocean - how do you do it?

Bellasea
01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Sorry I've never swam in the ocean with my tail, but I have swam in a very large inland lake (Lake Michigan). I've had the waves knock me around a lot though, too. What I do when the waves are so rough is actually walk out past the break waves and put my tail on in the deeper water. This might help you not get your tail all banged up.

AniaR
01-21-2014, 06:22 PM
competitor monofin. Seriously. I have never felt more strong or safe in the ocean than with my tail. I'd rather get lost at sea in my tail than without it because at least I'd know I could float and swim against the waves lol

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't it be kind of difficult trying to put a tail on in deep water though? I do plan on having a zipper in my neoprene tail, but I'm thinking it would still be really difficult, especially with ocean currents

Bellasea
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a fabric tail so its very stretchy. I also do it underwater, that way I don't have to worry about trying to not drown. B/c I'm already holding my breath and my head under the water. And I wear goggles.

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
competitor monofin. Seriously. I have never felt more strong or safe in the ocean than with my tail. I'd rather get lost at sea in my tail than without it because at least I'd know I could float and swim against the waves lol

I can see where you are coming from, as it is definitely easier when you get out deeper but don't you ever get smashed around in the waves and worry about your tail getting banged up? Maybe the sea is just really rough where I live, I dunno. But I was afraid of either breaking my monofin or having my feet slip out of it (it is slightly loose on my feet, it has been fine for most of the time but I have had a foot slip out of it a few times before and I was afraid with the waves being rough I might actually end up having both feet slip out and losing it!)

Mermaid Kelda
01-21-2014, 06:48 PM
A few weeks ago I decided to test out my competitor monofin in the ocean

Aino said she's using a competitor monofin.
I don't have a tail, but I imagine many mers who ocean swim do very far out - as in they get on a boat and then drop into the water. Otherwise, you may just need to find a beach where the water drops off more quickly. There's a cove on the Sunshine Coast where about a metre after you enter the water it drops to above head height - that's where I'll be testing my tail when I get it! (just have to watch out for jet skis, haha)

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Haha you're lucky to have a place like that nearby! Here the beaches are just all rough surf. At the moment I swim in the ocean pools but I would love to be able to take my monofin (and eventually tail when I finish it) into the open ocean. I was thinking what you said about having a boat might be the case. Sadly, I do not have access to one so it's either braving the surf or no ocean swimming for me :(

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:02 PM
I have a fabric tail so its very stretchy. I also do it underwater, that way I don't have to worry about trying to not drown. B/c I'm already holding my breath and my head under the water. And I wear goggles.

I guess I could try this after much practicing putting my tail on in the deep end of the pool. With silicone it would be impossible but in a zippered neoprene tail I might be able to swing it

Elle
01-21-2014, 07:02 PM
I think it depends what kind of beach you're at. See if you can find a local one that is ideal for toddlers or families with young children. They're a great place to start as there is little to no surf to deal with.

Mermaid Kelda
01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Ah well, if you're ever in SEQ send me a bell and I'll take you there! ;)

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I think it depends what kind of beach you're at. See if you can find a local one that is ideal for toddlers or families with young children. They're a great place to start as there is little to no surf to deal with.

Unfortunately I don't think there is such a beach in my city. Young children usually just stay in the shallows, as it is all rough surf here

Elle
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
There's a cove on the Sunshine Coast where about a metre after you enter the water it drops to above head height - that's where I'll be testing my tail when I get it! (just have to watch out for jet skis, haha)

Do you mean near the lighthouse?

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Ah well, if you're ever in SEQ send me a bell and I'll take you there! ;)

Will do! I haven't been there for years but I love it and would definitely like to visit again. Can't go past the beaches and theme parks, haha :D

Elle
01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I don't think there is such a beach in my city. Young children usually just stay in the shallows, as it is all rough surf here

What's your local beach?

Mizuko
01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Anywhere with surf or rough waves will be an issue. I grew up with a surfer for a father, so we were at surf beaches every weekend. Its honestly SAFER without a tail. Out past the breakers, yes, its safe and easy; but you have to consider how you get out there and how you're going to get back in safely. If you have a friend with a board they could at least stay near you to help out if you need a rest.
This may be all info you know, but check the surf reports before deciding to bring your tail. If the swell is up, just dont bring it. Or check the wind direction for your location: maybe if you have a cove in the corner of the beach it might be flat depending on the wind direction.
Or, this might not be the best suggestion, but I did it for years (lol) find a private marina and swim in that. haha!

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
What's your local beach?

I live in Newcastle, and there are a number of beaches here that I can go to but from what I know of them they are all pretty rough. Perhaps it could just be a case of re-visiting all the beaches and seeing which ones are the best, as off the top of my head now I can not think of any calmer places to swim aside from the ocean baths, which are nice, but I would like to be able to branch out a bit.

Elle
01-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Just looking online.....what are Shoal Bay, Pitt Street Reserve, Nobby's Beach Reserve and (If you're up for some travelling) Winda Woppa Reserve like? they are recommended for people with small children. There are no foot notes about mermaids but it might be worth a look :) I hope!!

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:32 PM
The only one I have been to out of those is Nobby's. I didn't see much in the way of a mermaid friendly place to swim, but that could possibly be because I wasn't looking for one at the time and was just swimming in the surf where the flags were, which was the same as pretty much any surf anywhere. I might have to check out those other places (I don't even know where they are haha, shows how knowledgeable I am xD )

Elle
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I looked on google maps....Nobbys seems to have a nice side and a rough side. The bit at the end of Horseshoe Bend Road looks nice and flat though :)

Mermaid Kelda
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Do you mean near the lighthouse?
I'm not sure, I don't remember seeing a light house... I'm terrible with landmarks xD I'm pretty sure it's Bulcock beach I'm thinking of, in Caloundra.

Edit: And here's what I mean about the water dropping straight off, Aino!

http://www.aspectcaloundra.com.au/images/image_gallery/bulcock-beach-snorkellers.JPG

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Next time I am there I will check it out then! I do know where Shoal Bay is, it is quite a long drive from where I live so it wouldn't be practical for frequent visits, but Nobby's is right next to the ocean baths where I swim usually, so it certainly wouldnt hurt to check it out again. I have never even heard of the other places, but I will look them up and see if they are within reasonable distance

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure, I don't remember seeing a light house... I'm terrible with landmarks xD I'm pretty sure it's Bulcock beach I'm thinking of, in Caloundra.

http://www.aspectcaloundra.com.au/images/image_gallery/bulcock-beach-snorkellers.JPG

Agh that looks like the perfect place for tail swimming!

Mermaid Kelda
01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Agh that looks like the perfect place for tail swimming!
There's not a lot to look at (it's all sand on the bottom as far as I can tell) but yes, I think it's my best bet! And because it's a cove it's always pretty flat :)

Jessica
01-21-2014, 08:06 PM

I'm so jealous!! That's it....I'm going to find a piggy bank and start saving so I can come visit all you lucky Australian mers and your beautiful beaches and water! :)

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm so jealous!! That's it....I'm going to find a piggy bank and start saving so I can come visit all you lucky Australian mers and your beautiful beaches and water! :)

If you do, please come and visit me and bring me some cheap dragonskin from the US! :lol:

Elle
01-21-2014, 08:12 PM

That's Bullcock Beach, I'm pretty sure. It is very deep!!! It's part of the pumicestone passage/channel, this is the Caloundra end.
You have to be very specific when you go here because if the tides right basically you jump in at one end and the current will just wash you down to the other.
I used to go there a lot as a kid. I LOVED going there.

This is it from an aerial shot

Jessica
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
If you do, please come and visit me and bring me some cheap dragonskin from the US! :lol:

I can see myself now....on a plane with suitcases full of silicone! :) hmmmmm.....I might be able to pack more in if I just pour a bunch of scale sheets and flukes and roll them up! ;)

seriously though....there are so many incredible places to swim!! Someday I hope to come swimming your way!!

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 08:21 PM
I can see myself now....on a plane with suitcases full of silicone! :) hmmmmm.....I might be able to pack more in if I just pour a bunch of scale sheets and flukes and roll them up! ;)

seriously though....there are so many incredible places to swim!! Someday I hope to come swimming your way!!

Hahaha, imagine trying to explain to the airport security dudes why your suitcases are full of silicone :lol: Seriously, it is like three times the price here, if you could bring me some that would be fab :lol:

Mizuko
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM

That looks NICEEEEE :D
There are only a few places here in SA where the water drops off like that!

Mermaid Kelda
01-21-2014, 08:53 PM
That's Bullcock Beach, I'm pretty sure. It is very deep!!! It's part of the pumicestone passage/channel, this is the Caloundra end.
You have to be very specific when you go here because if the tides right basically you jump in at one end and the current will just wash you down to the other.
I used to go there a lot as a kid. I LOVED going there.

This is it from an aerial shot
Yup, I was swimming there the other week and BOY do those currents get you! I'm hoping that having a competitor in my tail will let me swim without issue.
I could swim from there to my parents' house in Glass House Mountains, if I really wanted to! They live on the banks of Coochin Creek which is part of the pumicestone passage :)

Elle
01-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Yup, I was swimming there the other week and BOY do those currents get you! I'm hoping that having a competitor in my tail will let me swim without issue.
I could swim from there to my parents' house in Glass House Mountains, if I really wanted to! They live on the banks of Coochin Creek which is part of the pumicestone passage :)

You'd have to try it out when the tide is fairly stable.
You can see in this video just how quick it's going, just look at the water surface

http://youtu.be/skweJebLnXg

AniaR
01-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Nope I put my tail on and swim in ocean lots. Deep and shallow

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Nope I put my tail on and swim in ocean lots. Deep and shallow

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Do you swim in rough surf?

Bellasea
01-21-2014, 10:34 PM
I guess I could try this after much practicing putting my tail on in the deep end of the pool. With silicone it would be impossible but in a zippered neoprene tail I might be able to swing it

It helps with googles!

Fun123joker
01-22-2014, 02:56 AM
my personal favorite for tail swiming is Ogunquit,maine. there are abunch of coves there and some bolderins the the coves that i hide behind when putting on my tail but still being on the beach. the water is cold but you get use to it after some time in the water. the beach is known for boogie boarding but the waves seem gentle. i dont know if this beach has less salt or if its so cold that you can feel the salt in your eyes like this beach is the only beach i can open my eyes under water. it can be really flat at low tided too. pluse the rocks make a perfect background for some photoshoots. just be careful of the barnicals

Anahita
01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
I never considered how difficult the waves could be for some people. I mean, maybe waves on this side of the Pacific are more.... forgiving? I wouldn't worry too much about the tail either, unless the beach is very rocky, I don't think there's much chance of it being destroyed. Bigger waves are dealt with by diving into/under them before they begin to break. You can't get out very far without much effort by being on the surface, because the surface is rough, and it's going to wear you out. Underwater is easier, because it's less resistance, so you can go farther and use the monofin more efficiently.

I pretty much scoot myself in on my stomach as far in as I can go, shuffling with my arms fully extended beneath me, on my hands (stingrays are sometimes an issue where I am, so shuffling is a good way to get them to leave) and letting my legs float up behind me. It does suck, because the waves keep hitting you in the face, but you get to a decent depth (like two feet), and you can then take a huge breath in and dive into the waves, and just power forward (two feet should be deep enough to be able to start a decent dolphin kick and get you moving)

I'm not sure if that helps... And my English felt funny with this one, but I hope it gives you an idea.

Aino Revontuletar
01-22-2014, 07:10 AM
That makes sense actually, I probably was on the surface too much

Anahita
01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah, it happens. :) (It took me a couple of times to figure it out myself)

The surface is tempting because we breathe air, so one usually assumes it's "easier" to be on it, because of the easier access to air. But when it's so rough, it's pretty much defeating the "easiness" for air by straining you so you need more air. A good 45 second breath hold (which I assume most of us have, since 45 seconds is considered "average" even for non-mers) with a decent dolphin kick can actually get you pretty far out, enough to be able to surface and not have to deal with the roughest stuff.

Aino Revontuletar
01-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Yeah that definitely does make sense. Admittedly the surf was kind of rough on that day too so it might help to try it on days that are a little bit calmer

Azurin Luna
01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
I went tail swimming in Curacao, and even though there weren't very big waves to worry about, it was the beach that was the problem for me, cause the beach is made of dead coral pieces there. So I went to the diving pier, put my tail on there and scooted down the diving ladder.

But I agree with Anahita, 'walk' with your arms into the water and then push off through a wave. I think that wave surfers do the same sometimes, push themselves with their board through the waves.

phoenixbaltimore
10-27-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't have a tail as yet but have been out using the monofin in rough water on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. I found that if I am near a structure like a pier or something that I look which way the water is going and then either start to the right or left of the pier to avoid being bashed into it and also means if I do go in the direction of the pier I can have a get out of the water safety point which I think is good thing to have, once I ignored my own advice and ended up clinging on the the legs of the pier, not such a good look....

Vrindavana Starfish
10-27-2014, 01:50 PM
I don't have a real suggestion for tail swimming specifically, yet, as I've only used fins in the ocean and in choppy waves. Just, make sure you're not alone. I've had the snot knocked out of me by waves lots of times. If you can't get past the wave breaks safely, then leave the tail behind and just body surf that day!

I do have a suggestion for sharks, though, since you do have more sharks in your area. That's actually a good thing. They can be intimidating, but the best way to not be afraid is to swim with them on purpose. See if you can find somewhere and someone to snorkel with where you will be swimming with sharks. NO CHUM! Just being around them in their world, and seeing how they behave. They are not as terrifying as they seem. They should be respected, certainly, but make yourself swim with them, and you will lose your fear of them. Then, if you see one when you're tail-swimming, you'll be able to just watch it, or calmly get out of its way if you feel you should. I've had both experiences, those where I just stayed still and watched it, and it swam by me and then moved on, and those where it was a little too big for my comfort level and sunset (aka feeding time) and I just got out of its way.

Mermaid Wesley
10-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I was recently BEAT UP by a wave while tail swimming. Badly. I had to emergency bail out of my tail, almost lost it in the ocean, and scraped up my leg wiping out. It was the scariest experience I ever had in the ocean. I love the ocean but I've decided that beach swimming in a tail is a no-go for me. Deeper ocean is fine, but no surf. There are a few beaches in my area with breakwaters that don't have waves and I'm willing to swim there, but the ocean is too dangerous and too unpredictable to try to tailswim in crashing waves. I dove under a wave and the monofin was pulled right off my feet. The ankle part of my tail twisted and pulled me backwards and it actually had to pull the tail off and drop it so I could get air. Lucky for me, I stepped on the monofin and was able to grab it. Beach swimming is dangerous when your legs aren't stuck together. I got a rude awakening and I want you all to understand those risks. There's nothing wrong with hanging out in shallows or in coves with no waves. I'm also considering strapping my tail to a surfboard, paddling out with a friend, and then putting it on out there instead of trying to tailswim past the break zone. Swim in waves at your own risk. I've done it safely once, when waves were really small but idk that I would even do that again. Yeah. Just my two cents. As much as I love the beach and the ocean, you have to know the risks and you have to be careful. Don't forget that you aren't a real merperson. You can't breathe underwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echidna
10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
^^yes, all of this.

I would only swim in a calm cove.
Surf and breakwater is far too dangerous to tackle with a tail, or even without, especially if there are currents!

Fun123joker
11-01-2014, 11:03 PM
^^yes, all of this.

I would only swim in a calm cove.
Surf and breakwater is far too dangerous to tackle with a tail, or even without, especially if there are currents!

same! there is only one place i can swim in my tail with my eyes open and that is in the coves of Ogunquit, Maine. idk if there is less salt or that the water is so cold that you dont notcie the salt in your eyes. be careful of barnacles though!

Briahne
05-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Hi, I'm new here but thought I might have something that may be useful to add that I learnt from SCUBA instructing.

Check weather forecasts before you go out and learn to read the barometric readings which will tell you with more certainty than just relying on the weather reporter how the day will turn. Sometimes the local council has cameras that either have a live feed or periodic photos of the beach that you can look at from their website to determine if swimming there is doable before taking the drive.

Low tides are usually the worst time to go into the ocean because the rips are stronger, there is a stronger pull towards the ocean, and the waves have a stronger dump to them. Try to time it so that you enter about an hour or two after low tide peak and exit 3-4 hours before the next low tide peak. If your beach has a point try to swim on the leeward side (the side that blocks the oncoming winds) to avoid choppy waters and high swells. Also as others have said duck diving beneath the waves is your best and easiest bet to get past them, whether they're strong or not. You could also try to time your entry in a lull (the calm time between one set of waves finishing and the next set starting, usually approximately 8-10 good sized waves).

On the shark front, can I just say how insanely jealous I am that you have sharks so close. I would be swimming with them every day if I could, I love sharks. I agree that you should try swimming around them getting closer as your fear diminishes, don't invade their space but let them know you are going to be around so they should get used to you. They may be quite curious and come over to check you out, as long as you're on the outskirts and let them come to you, you should not feel threatened by them. If they come too close and you're getting too uncomfortable to just hover calmly, blow out bubbles. They don't know what the hell kind of animal you are, blowing bubbles like that and they don't like it and swim away.

Try not to swim away from them with a lot of tail movement as it looks fish-like and will draw attention, and always do your best to stay as calm as possible, sharks don't actually like the taste of humans. Check out what kind of sharks you have in your area, and when their breeding season is and try to avoid them at that time as they are more aggressive during breeding and birthing season. If there is a local dive shop nearby they usually have a plethora of local underwater information and are usually out diving a few times every week. You may even be able to get a seat on their boat next time they go out and aren't at full capacity.

In the end, Good Luck, and I hope you don't feel like I've just shot at you a series of do's and don'ts, these are just suggestions based on my experiences. Ultimately the ocean is a home for mers and it should be treated as such. As long as you are comfortable, do your own thing and keep being mertastic.

Mermaid Harmony
05-11-2015, 02:31 AM
I swim in the ocean pry at least once a week if not more in my tail and I have certain beaches I like because of less waves, less coral etc. I've gotten beaten up in a tide pool with my fish butt and that seriously hurt. We go out with the pod to swim in the waves specifically and you need to be in good shape and be prepared to keep treading. But we dive into the waves or body surf with them in our tail if that makes sense. But yeah, right next to the beach with water even if it's not super wavy is not my favorite because the tide pulls you in or out, I'd rather be 3 feet/4 feet deep then right at the waters edge.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-02-2015, 06:46 AM
I can't even deal with the currents in the Wave pool, let alone swim in an ocean!

MarkF
06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Hi Aino, I’ve surf and dive around the surf for a long time.
Some days the time between the wave sets create calm moment that you want to go out or in.
When my tails finished I plan on taking a dive flag on an inner tube and tie a ” "7-8 mm" rope to a weight as an anchor. The flag makes it easier to see over the swells, it will give me a little island to rest. “Just throw my arm on it.” You could even at first hold a loose rope and pull the tube to yourself if you needed.
The inner tube will make it more fun to come back on the waves.
If you are really worried about the fin coming off get yourself a surfboard leash from a surf shop. It straps to your ankle and ties to the fin. The cords elastic to reduce the shock when waves hit you and the fin.