PDA

View Full Version : Yet another fundraiser... Lots of perks available! (For a good cause)

Miyu
01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone! I just want to let you all know I'm running a little fundraiser to re-home a silicone tail that didn't fit, as well as to get a few other essentials for mermaiding (such as a monofin to practice in with my fabric tails in progress).

Here is the link: http://www.gofundme.com/6eoit0

I know, I do not yet have my own monofin or completed fabric tail... This may lead you to scoff at my nerve and/or ignorance... Hear me out, let me explain.

I do not plan on really swimming in my silicone tail straight away. I am making fabric tails (sewing machine problems, or I'd have it done already. I'm going to try to finish one tail up this weekend at Morticia's house) to fit the monofin I will be getting (I traced Morticia's, it's the monofin I want). I plan to practice for a good, long while in fabric tails while I build up some better swimming skills. The silicone tail, in water, would mainly be for splashing around in the shallow end with kids, and photoshoots.

BUT! There is a better reason I want a silicone tail. I was once a foster child, and I know how rough it can be. As a foster child, you often feel left out, unwanted, sad, and a little jaded by the world. I want to bring the experience of a real-life mermaid to these kids who deserve a little magic in their lives!

As well as foster children, I would like to visit with children who are "chronically ill", or who may be confined to bed or hospital. I think all of these children deserve the magic of a realistic, real-life mermaid... I want them to be able to feel the tail and tell their friends what real mermaid scales feel like!

While a neoprene/sequin tail would also work wonderfully for this, and though I would be very happy for one (I really, really love sequin tails and still dream of having one someday, especially for ocean swimming), circumstances aligned to give me an opportunity for a silicone tail first, and I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I am not simply asking for donations, far from it. I am just starting out in selling my wares online, so I simply haven't moved enough stock to start building up money yet - my mertender is currently out of work for the holiday season (hopefully will pick back up next month), so any money I make goes mainly towards necessities, and what little extra there is goes towards a few craft supplies. I offer many "perks" to raise these funds, all sorts of custom work (check out my pages on FB to see my past work - Mermaid Miyu (https://www.facebook.com/MermaidMiyu),and No Spectators Designs (https://www.facebook.com/No.Spectators.Designs) for non-mer examples such as hats)

Miyu
01-23-2014, 07:12 PM
I forgot to mention! One of my favorite "perks" I'm offering are 1-, 2-, and 3-colour crochet barefoot sandals or footwarmers... with scales! I can make them to match your tail! I'm working on a pair for Morticia presently, will have pics soon!

Aziara
01-24-2014, 11:07 AM
I love barefoot sandals! Can't wait to see what they look like.

Morticia Mermaid
01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
:) We'rd going to be getting pictures when they come over tomorrow for my tattoo. I am getting triple color barefoot sandles :D

Miyu
01-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Here's a look at Morticia's 3-colour footwarmers!

I'm offering custom-colour footwarmers (in 1-, 2-, or 3-colours) to match your tail as a perk for my fundraiser (http://www.gofundme.com/6eoit0)! I'll be offering these in my shop regularly as well, but the price will be higher - I'm offering special prices just for the fundraiser :P

Miyu
01-25-2014, 10:01 PM
I just want to let everyone know, I am practically giving perks away... I offer lots of high-quality perks, things you would expect to buy at the price of the donation level (or more!). I'm not asking for handouts - I'm willing to work my little mermaid butt off to get what I'm after!

Morticia Mermaid
01-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Oh look! I stepped in paint!

These little things are surprisingly warm. I can't wait to get mine because I will probably wear them ALL the time, I hate wearing socks xD

Aziara
01-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Since I wear flip flops all winter, that's a great alternative to wearing them with socks!

Miyu
01-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Morticia: Lol, I hadn't even noticed :P Kylan's hands were covered in ink all day as well haha!

Azaria: That was my thought! I love being barefoot, and wear flip-flops in winter as well :P

Also, I've found that these type of footwarmers are good if you're really into going barefoot everywhere - people are much less likely to notce you aren't wearing shoes (people rarely looked at my feet the year I went mostly barefoot, but this style of foot thing was great for being super-incognito :P

Aziara
01-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, people almost never look down. I've gone barefoot into places that had the 'no shirt, no shoes, no service' sign. No one noticed. The only time I had someone notice, they seemed only concerned that I would burn myself on the asphalt (It was a very hot day). I've never had someone freak out or ask me to put on shoes.

Miyu
02-04-2014, 02:23 AM
Here's some photos of the hand-knit lace shawl I'm offering as the $100 perk for my fundraiser!

This shawl took me a whole summer of watching sci-fi to knit, and was only really worn once (for my birthday, in the modeled photos above). It was my first real knitted lace project, and is a soft, squishy chenille :)

Miyu
02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Yay, today was bright and sunny, so Morticia and I got some photos of the completed pair of footwarmers!