PDA

View Full Version : Not mer at all, but VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Miyu
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
There is a company developing a cure for HIV. They are running a fundraiser to make this happen.

If they can get it funded, they plan on giving it to the world.

FOR FREE.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

A cure for HIV, and they're planning on giving it away!

http://www.fastcompany.com/3025372/if-the-immunity-project-crowdfunds-this-synthetic-aids-vaccine-theyll-offer-it-free-to-every

Mermaid Dottie
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I am so pledging.

Rogue Siren
01-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I heard someone had already developed a cure....well, in mice at least.

AniaR
01-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Many people have been cured from HIV but it's usually all done using experimental treatments and there are various rules in place in regards to what exactly can be said to the public. Merwrangler Sean's cousin was cured of HIV I think over a decade ago. And he had been very ill. But it was all experimental drugs and they aren't entierly sure exactly what did it. But still, over a decade later, not a sign of it in his body!

deepblue
01-24-2014, 05:52 PM
This would be a wonderful thing. My 2nd cousin has full blown AIDS, and while she was 'supposed' to die two years ago, she's still alive. But her life is quite hard, and she's so weak. If they're still raising funds in Feb, I'll contribute when I can. I would even if I wasn't related to someone slowly dying from it. But I like the idea of her life being extended to a normal lifespan.

Sorry- edit- I wasn't thinking- this a vaccine, and it's probably too late for her. But I love the idea of lives saved.

Echidna
01-24-2014, 06:02 PM
While this is a noble cause, I really, really wish some other diseases which can be just as deadly, and are contracted far more easily (bug bite, for example) would get just a fraction of the exposure and support HIV gets.

Miyu
01-24-2014, 06:38 PM
My hope is that if this is successful, other cures will follow suit. If these folks are willing to give away the cure to HIV for free, it will put pressure on the makers of cures for other things (like those scary bug bites that kill you all horribly, like Caltuna says) to provide it for free, which will in turn help us get a cure for cancer out there because then it won't be about money anymore.

*Celine*
01-25-2014, 11:05 AM
waow, this is huge

Miyu
01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Oh wow! Take a look at some of the info about this vaccine!

http://www.immunityproject.org/faq#how-will-this-vaccine-work

I really wonder if it could be applied to other things, like cancer, or even all these antibiotic-resitant bacteria we're having problems with now (scientists are saying we could soon again be in a time where simple infections could kill you)