PDA

View Full Version : Netted Pouch

Mermaid Jaffa
01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi all!:)

I have been using a small canvas purse. It has a loop handle but I've found it kinda useless, especially when trying to swim with something dangling off my arm. Started to make a small netted pouch bag. It will be a waist pouch, so I can move my arm without the bag sliding to my armpit and hitting me in the face! I got the idea from looking at macrame pot hangers, so decided to give it a try.

They have lockers there but inside the changing rooms, and I didn't feel they were safe since its not outside where people are looking.

It will be decorated with some stuff from the fishing and tackle shop. Make it look like I tricked some fishermen and stole their lures!:lol: Cos I think merfolk are not just seaweed and seashell people. They got to be super crafty when land people throw their crap into our homes.

Design wise, it has to be something that drains easily and can be thrown into the washing machine, well in an undies bag, then into the wash!

MermanZen
01-28-2014, 05:12 PM
very cool

Mermaid Dottie
01-28-2014, 05:17 PM
:jawdrop: I so wanna do that now....
Too bad I have other projects going.
but still........

Mermaid Jaffa
01-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Its really easy Dottie. 23 strings, overhand knots all the way. Next thing you know, its done!

Mermaid Sirena
01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
That looks incredibly intense! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished :)

Winged Mermaid
01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Looking awesome! Look forward to seeing it when it's finished :)

Mermaid Jaffa
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Popped into the local pet shop yesterday only to find them gone from the shopping centre! Went to Kmart, they only have ugly seaweed, not realistic looking ones.

But at least I made progress on my pouch bag. Completed it and added the strap. The strap is kinda short since they were leftover strings from the pouch. A little tight too, but since I'll be exercising in the pool soon, (waiting for my custom swim goggles), they won't feel that bad on my waist.

Got some toggles from the fishing section of Kmart, added a big bead on the other end. Double barrel knots and all done... For now.
I put the purse I was using inside, so you can see how big it is. Left the fringes untouched as I haven't decided what to do with them.

Miyu
01-30-2014, 09:03 PM
How cute! That looks like it will come in handy for mermaid-ing! :P I really like that you used fishing tackle bits, something a mermaid might have found <3

I finally found some cord in my stash I feel like using to make a similar netted bag... I've never netted before (though I have done macrame),

Mermaid Jaffa
01-30-2014, 09:06 PM
If anyone is wondering how I protect my valuables in the water, I just double bag them with zip lock sandwich bags, squeeze all the air out of them so they don't float.

@Miyu

Its really easy to make this type of bag. You need odd amount of strings/cords. I used 17 long lengths and fold them over so I get 24 to work with. I do macrame too but this style of it, is just overhand knots all the way.

Simple pattern, you've made the loops, now you can see left and right lengths of strings coming out from the knots.

Take right length of first loop and left length of 2nd loop, hold both and tie over hand knot. Keep repeating until you like the length of the bag. When its time to tie it off, you can do a big over hand knot with all the threads or go separately and make it interesting. Like I did with mine.

You can add cardboard strip from a cereal packet to make the holes more even. Insert it into single string, over under over under, all the way round and hold with a clip, that way your next row of knots are evenly spaced.